Author Topic: Does this sound delicious or just weird? UPDATE PG 2!!  (Read 4504 times)

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
Re: Does this sound delicious or just weird?
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2012, 10:39:07 AM »
Bacon and sweet go together well.  After all, don't people eat pancakes or waffles with bacon or ham and maple syrup?  Honey ham is an American classic. 

Marshmallows are extremely sweet to begin with.  the combination of marshmallows, chocolate and sprinkles pushes the sweetness envelope.  Adding bacon is fine if the guests have the option to take it or not.

silvercelt

« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2012, 12:38:09 PM »
My bosses (married couple) brought in some home-made chocolate chip bacon cookies the other day.

I was a little disgusted, yet intrigued.  When I hit a piece of bacon when eating the first one, my mind's first instinct was to spit it out...did not compute...then....

Oh, lord, were they delicious.  So I say go for it, but have non-bacon, too, for those who just can't get past it. 

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2012, 04:53:59 PM »
Bacon and sweet go together well.  After all, don't people eat pancakes or waffles with bacon or ham and maple syrup?  Honey ham is an American classic.

Marshmallows are extremely sweet to begin with.  the combination of marshmallows, chocolate and sprinkles pushes the sweetness envelope.  Adding bacon is fine if the guests have the option to take it or not.

Bold above is an excellent point! ;D

I've been intrigued by the chocolate covered bacon strips but have yet to try it. I think I just might like it too much. :-\

Personally? I don't like raw marshmallows. They are too sweet for me. The only way I like them is on smores, where the marshmallows are nice and gooey mixed in with the chocolate. Even then, I can only eat 1. Are you planning on any other sweet treats?

Someone up thread mentioned graham crackers . . . there you go! a raw smore! Great idea! ;D

Like Ceallach said . . . do a taste test. If you don't like it, don't serve it.

JeanFromBNA

« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2012, 06:35:09 PM »
I vote yum.

Shea

« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2012, 12:02:09 PM »
It's not to my taste (I don't understand the bacon/chocolate combination that's in vogue right now), but I wouldn't think it was weird. I'd just go for the non-bebaconed marshmallows.

If a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, librarians are a global threat.

audrey1962

« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2012, 12:22:06 PM »
Have you tasted them yet? I recommend making and tasting, then deciding. If you like the taste, then serve them (along with non-bacon options). It will make a great conversation piece.

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2012, 12:52:56 PM »
On Valentine's Day, DH and I shared a WONDERFUL layered chocolate brownie with ice cream, chocolate fudge and bacon crumbles.  It was TO.DIE.FOR! 

My group of foodies would certainly appreciate it.  I never thought of your idea, but I just may steal it sometime, even the bacon in chocolate in the marshmallow.  The key is only a little bacon.  A little goes a loong way, just like in the above brownie.

Moray

• My hovercraft is full of eels!
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2012, 01:00:49 PM »
On Valentine's Day, DH and I shared a WONDERFUL layered chocolate brownie with ice cream, chocolate fudge and bacon crumbles.  It was TO.DIE.FOR! 

My group of foodies would certainly appreciate it.  I never thought of your idea, but I just may steal it sometime, even the bacon in chocolate in the marshmallow.  The key is only a little bacon.  A little goes a loong way, just like in the above brownie.

Yes. Only a little bacon, make sure it's good quality and very well cooked.
Utah

Lynnv

« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2012, 01:52:07 PM »
I wouldn't like it.  But that is because I don't care for marshmallows.  At all.

But as long as you are offering a selection, I don't see why that couldn't be one of them.  The bacon/chocolate idea sounds like it would be tasty to me and I would be tempted to try one, despite the marshmallow center.   ;D

Lynn

"Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat."  Robert A. Heinlein

purplemuse

• Super Hero!
  • This is going to be super special awesome!
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2012, 08:42:45 AM »
I'm afraid I can't cast a vote until the OP sends me a tray of said marshmallows to sample.

Seriously though, I think it sounds tasty-- one of my favorite combos lately is chocolate, caramel and sea salt, and this kind of sounds like a spin on that.

But if you're not sure, why not make a few in advance, and try them yourself? If they're tasty, you can make more and add them to the mix, and if not, it sounds like you have lots of other ideas.

MrsCrazyPete

« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2012, 12:18:35 PM »
Thanks for all the replies, everyone! DH is VERY glad that the majority of the votes are to go for it.

Our party is this coming Saturday, so I'll post an update & let you all know how they turn out!
Sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up here.

jmarvellous

« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2012, 12:25:19 PM »
My friends who eat meat and gelatin are all about the bacon lately. I think this would go over splendidly with them.

Personally, I don't eat either. Perhaps also offer some plain chocolate, or something gelatin-free dipped in chocolate?

I don't know about most folks, but eating a bunch of marshmallows doesn't seem like something I've seen people do, even marshmallows covered in other stuff.

You will have other snacks at the party, I presume?

sweetonsno

« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2012, 02:28:11 PM »
Bacon-covered chocolate is beloved by many. Why not chocolate covered bacon? Just make sure you cook it extra-crispy.

JillyJ

« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2012, 02:45:36 PM »
I've been intrigued by the chocolate covered bacon strips but have yet to try it. I think I just might like it too much. :-\

Precisely why I've avoided all bacon/sweet combinations.  I do not need to know it's delicious.  That information would be dangerous.  LOL

MrsCrazyPete

Re: Does this sound delicious or just weird? UPDATE PG 2!!
« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2012, 11:10:18 AM »
So our party was last night...the marshmallows were a huge hit!! All the bacon ones were GONE--there were actually some of the sprinkle & cookie kind left over.

Everyone was intrigued by the bacon-choc combo, and only one person who tried it didn't like it. They were so much fun and very easy to make, and a friend gave me the idea of putting them on sticks & poking them into a round piece of florist foam for display! I will definitely make these again!
Sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up here.