Author Topic: Please tell me not to play matchmaker  (Read 4145 times)

ShadesOfGrey

• Super Hero!
Re: Please tell me not to play matchmaker
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2012, 09:55:04 AM »
I'm not telling you to play matchmaker, but if there's an opportunity to let them "naturally" meet - I'd do it. Like, schedule his appointment for noon (with someone else), tell your friend to come get lunch with you and pick you up at 1130am at your office, and oh, they both just happen to be there in the waiting room. Introduce, then tell friend something just came in that you have to take care of, please hold on a minute, and go be "busy" with something and then hope that they chat. That's the extent of what I'd do...
Words mean more than what is set down on paper. It takes the human voice to infuse them with shades of deeper meaning. - Maya Angelou

I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel. - Maya Angelou

Raintree

• Super Hero!
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2012, 02:19:00 AM »
But are you sure that either of them is particularly unhappy about being single? Maybe they are perfectly happy with the status quo. Myself, I feel that if someone amazing came along, that would be great, but I also have no great desire to seek that out. And I cringe every time someone says to me, "Well why don't you try a dating site?" as though it's a given that I want to "try" anything at all. I would feel the same way about someone wanting to hook me up with a friend or acquaintance. In my experience and in the experiences of just about everyone I know who has been the object of "matchmaking" it ends up being pretty unbelievable who they think I might be interested in.

TurtleDove

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2012, 12:24:19 AM »
Raintree speaks truth!

zyrs

• spiffily male.
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2012, 11:27:41 PM »
So, no matchmaking.  Don't do it. 

But, are any of their shared interests something one or the other already belongs to a club pertaining to that interest?  I only ask because I like to go to club open houses and shows when the club has to do with something I am interested in.  I always like it when people I know tell me about club events I might not have heard about.

But yeah, don't matchmake.

Nonsequitur

« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2012, 09:39:33 AM »
I'm not telling you to play matchmaker, but if there's an opportunity to let them "naturally" meet - I'd do it.

I did something like that with two friends. They met briefly at an event once, and I later invited them both to lunch and the local Chinese New Year parade. I stayed with them and we all had a good time. Afterward, one asked the other out to coffee. I don't think he accepted, but that was that. I didn't go out of my way telling them how perfect they'd be for each other. By the way, having been fixed up before, it seems like most married friends' idea "perfect for each other" translates into "both single and convert oxygen into carbon dioxide".

I guess I view matchmaking as less of a deliberate fixing up, but instead giving your friends the opportunity to meet other friends they might get along with, which is what I'd do whenever I have anybody, single or otherwise, over for dinner or put a group together for an outing.

sweetonsno

« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2012, 02:59:43 AM »
By the way, having been fixed up before, it seems like most married friends' idea "perfect for each other" translates into "both single and convert oxygen into carbon dioxide".

LOL... this made me crack up. It's totally true. A number of my attached friends seem to think that my criteria are "single, male, and alive."