Author Topic: Our PM's dinner  (Read 6879 times)

Surianne

• Super Hero!
    • Prince ShimmerShine Moondream's Blogging Adventure
Re: Our PM's dinner
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2012, 08:14:11 PM »
Isometric, I think the issue with the link is the word "g-a-y" gets some code inserted by the filter.  Try this:
http://tinyurl.com/6hovhm9

Your understanding is the same as mine, though, based on the article, and I agree.  The auction aspect makes it a political dinner rather than a social one (or really, a combination of the two).

SamiHami

• No! Iz mai catnip! You no can haz! YOU NO CAN HAZ!
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2012, 08:41:48 PM »
I think any politician worth his/her salt would be able to handle an enthusiastic constituent that wants to discuss the issues. In fact, it might be welcome. I'm sure once you get to an office at that high a level that you don't get many chances to talk to members of the general public for any meaningful length of time. The PM may actually enjoy hearing from this person, even if they disagree on some issues.

I think that as long as the guest is polite, there's nothing incorrect about bringing up controversial issues to a politician if given the opportunity.

What have you got? Is it food? Is it for me? I want it whatever it is!

Isometric

« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2012, 08:58:54 PM »
Isometric, I think the issue with the link is the word "g-a-y" gets some code inserted by the filter.  Try this:
http://tinyurl.com/6hovhm9

Thanks Surianne!

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2012, 01:23:37 PM »

On the topic of security - Australian politicians are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyy more relaxed about security than their US counterparts. In fact DB and I once stood within 10-15 metres of the then PM, idly (not seriously!) discussing running up and poking the PM in the eye because of some stupid (in our opinion) policy or another Then we realised that there was a senior police officer right near us clearly listening and tryng very hard not to chuckle when we noticed him and stopped with "Oh Carp" expressions on our faces.

Just a side comment - you may *think* that they are not there. But I recall once waiting in line at a book signing for a prominent politician (who wasn't even in power at the time). I would have sworn there was no security in the room. Then a baby popped a balloon with a loud report. Suddenly, there they were. "Innocent bystanders" transformed before our eyes into security agents. Very alert security agents, until they realized there were no weapons anywhere, and then they faded into the background again like chameleons.

I would always assume that there are always security around politicians of national stature. For most of them, their job involves you not really noticing them.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Iris

« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2012, 03:34:34 PM »
^Oh, I didn't mean they're not there, I just meant they are a bit more relaxed about potential threats. One of our former PMs was approached and hugged by a constituent one day...fine, right. Except the guy was holding, IIRC, a foot-long screwdriver. Quite openly. The federal police surrounding the PM either didn't notice or decided the person wasn't a threat. Caused a bit of a stir at the time  :)

We don't have a history of political assassinations, so I think we just don't worry too much about it...
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2012, 10:34:26 PM »
Neither did Sweden, at one time....
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Surianne

• Super Hero!
    • Prince ShimmerShine Moondream's Blogging Adventure
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2012, 09:59:47 PM »
Well, I thought your story was amusing, Iris, and took it in the jokey spirit intended.  I'm in Canada and a bunch of our politicians (including the PM at the time!) have been pied in the face.  Not tremendously mature but it always cracks me up.  So the idea of eye-poking definitely tickles my funny bone.  :D  ;D

cass2591

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2012, 04:28:19 AM »
That's all folks.
There is no pie in Nighthawks, which is why it's such a desolate image. ~ Happy Stomach

I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened. ~ Mark Twain

Adopting a pet won't change the world, but it will change the world for that pet.