Author Topic: Australian talk show host and journo criticise war hero  (Read 7758 times)

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
Re: Australian talk show host and journo criticise war hero
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2012, 02:09:37 PM »
Not being an Australian, I don't know why Mr. Negus is "one of the greats". Can anyone enlighten me?

I think the worst part of the coarsening of the "humour" shown in infotainment shows these days is that it rubs off onto general society. If Mr. Negus can say this, the impressionable viewer thinks, it must be acceptable humour. So, I can make a similar joke about my goodlooking coworker, and no one has any right to get offended by it. So, wait - why am I suddenly being given a work reprimand, and my coworker isn't speaking to me?
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

figee

« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2012, 04:25:51 PM »
Negus was an excellent reporter known for his intelligence, integrity and sensitivity, to me at least.  Not any more.

The show was shown live, but on what level is it ever acceptable to insult someone's intelligence, sexuality or infertility?  Let alone someone who has risked his life and shown extreme bravery.

DH is in the military.  He reckons the only positive to have come out of this has been the backlash against The Circle and Negus which is showing a far greater level of support and respect for all serving members of the armed forces in Australian society.  But I'm still sickened by it.

Iris

« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2012, 05:28:14 PM »
Negus was an excellent reporter known for his intelligence, integrity and sensitivity, to me at least.  Not any more.

The show was shown live, but on what level is it ever acceptable to insult someone's intelligence, sexuality or infertility?  Let alone someone who has risked his life and shown extreme bravery.

DH is in the military.  He reckons the only positive to have come out of this has been the backlash against The Circle and Negus which is showing a far greater level of support and respect for all serving members of the armed forces in Australian society.  But I'm still sickened by it.

I'm sorry to think your DH was surprised by the support and respect. I know many many people who don't necessarily agree with how the government utilises the armed forces, but they still respect the people IN the armed forces.

Hey, I'd personally like it if no-one ever was in a position where storming a machine gun position to save some lives was necessary (and if wishes were horses...). But it needed to be done, and he did it. All by himself and at great risk to his own life. How ANYONE could respond to that with anything other than "Wow. Impressive. Good on ya, mate." and possibly the offer of a drink is beyond me...
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

PeterM

« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2012, 03:25:26 PM »
"War heros" are different from other celebrities. A singer has chosen a life that will, presumably, make them famous. They should be prepared for the criticisms that people offer, although even that, I think, should be limited primarily to their skills.

A soldier becomes a hero, usually, by being an average person placed in a horrible circumstance, and rising above that. There's no part of that equation where he or she should say, "Wait, if I rescue all my squadmates from certain death, I will have to face possibly being publicly humiliated on television. Do I really want to do this?"

That's a good summation. There's also a practical difference, though. Very few people will be genuinely outraged if you say horrible things about Lady Gaga, or Alex Rodriguez, or any politician you care to name. You might stir up a bunch of controversy, but you're also sure to have a lot of people defending you in various ways, and only an extremely small percentage of the people you upset are going to actually change their behavior in the future because of you, rather than just revert to whatever their status quo is. So attacking that sort of celebrity is pretty safe.

War heroes, not so much. Everyone is going to be pissed at you. Everyone. Yes, there's going to be a small percentage of people who will support you, either because they're such fans that they support literally everything you do or because they're rabidly anti-military, but the entire rest of the world is going to come down on you like the wrath of a vengeful god. For me that's the biggest issue here. Not the immature comments these people made, or how rude they were, but that they were so absolutely godawful stupid as to think making those comments not only in public but on the air was a good idea. These people should be confined to a padded room with no hard or sharp objects. They're clearly too stupid to function in the modern world.

catgal

« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2012, 12:05:53 AM »
I think it is very crass for anyone to make comments that George did about a nice couple who struggled with infertility and have now been blessed with twin daughters who are obviously very loved.  Yes we all make mistakes and I know that I have been guilty of saying something that I later regretted.  What I was most disappointed with was the blatant lack of sincere apology from either offender.  They could have simply said "I'm sorry, I was wrong" but neither of them has.  Now they are both complaining that people are offended and how people should just get over it and "it's not fair, everyone's being mean to me" whining.  These two should be grateful to have people like Corporal Roberts-Smith who defends this country and their right to say stupid and inappropriate things.

I have contacted the sponsors who have decided to no longer support this show to congratulate them for making a stand and assuring them that I will be using their products because of their decision.

P.S. figtree, say thanks to your DH, and thanks to you for supporting him.
There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast.

sammycat

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2012, 01:07:02 AM »
Not being an Australian, I don't know why Mr. Negus is "one of the greats". Can anyone enlighten me?

I am Australian and I'd like someone to enlighten me too as to why George is considered 'one of the greats'.  I've always viewed him as a rude, pompous, boor.  He proved it yet again with this situation.