Author Topic: Pinterest Etiquette?  (Read 2003 times)

CluelessBride

Pinterest Etiquette?
« on: March 01, 2012, 12:27:33 AM »
For those not familiar, pinterest.com is a virtual pinboard that lets you share neat ideas and inspiration with friends and strangers.  They do have some posted pin etiquette rules, but it doesn't cover my particular question.  They can be found here for reference: http://pinterest.com/about/etiquette/  If you are familiar with pintrest and want to skip my explanation below, head to the ******.

So basically, you can view other peoples "pins", which are effectively pictures that are linked back to the source site.  If you click on the picture, it takes you to the source site so you can see the context of the original image - often times this includes recipes or crafting/DIY instructions for whatever is pictured. 

If you see a pin you like, you can "like" it.  You can also "repin" it, which puts it on your board.  When you repin something from another user, the pin credits and links to the other user in addition to linking to the site.   

It looks like this:

CluelessBride via OriginalPinner
Repinned 1 hour ago from OriginalPinboardName
{image}
Tasty new recipe to try (caption)

Then if you click on OriginalPinner, it takes you to all of their pinboards.  If you click on OrginalPinboardName it takes you to the original posters board containing the repinned image.  If you click the image, it takes you to the webpage the image is on.

*********** /End Pinterest Background

So, here's my question.  Sometimes I'll see something I like and click the image to visit the original site. In doing so, I will sometimes find another image that better captures what I love about whatever I'm investigating.  So I'd rather pin the new image.  But if I do that, it won't get credited back to the original pinner.  This doesn't really bother me much if the original pinner is a stranger, but if it's a friend (and we are following each other), it seems odd.  So should I use the original image, even though there is another one I like better?  Or is it okay to use the new image?   If I do use the new image, should I make mention of the original pinner in the comments section?  Or would that be weird?

Other thoughts?

If specifics are helpful, here's the situation I'm in now (although this has come up before).  Warning: it involves discussion of chocolates and cupcakes.

Website: http://sugarcoatedbliss.com/2010/05/11/theres-a-sphere-in-my-cupcake/
My friend pinned the first picture (a cupcake surrounded by chocolates) with the caption "Ferrero Rocher Cupcakes with Chocolate Ganache Frosting".  I thought, mmmm tasty and clicked.  Sure enough, a recipe! Score! But the really cool thing (to me)?  You actually bake a chocolate inside the cupcake!  I'd much rather pin the second picture (a cupcake cut in half) since it shows off the inside of the cupcake.  I want to add this to my "Must Try Recipes" board, so I'm eager to read your responses!

SheltieMom

Re: Pinterest Etiquette?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2012, 12:38:19 AM »
You might just pin both images, first the original, which credits your friend, and then the other with a comment like, "Another view of the cupcake" or something like that.
If Timmy had had a Sheltie, he never would have fallen in that well!

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2012, 04:30:39 AM »
I'm in Pinterest and I'd just pin the latter. I don't consider that rude at all.

I'd liken it to sharing something on FB by posting a link myself instead of clicking "Share" next to a friend's link.

If you want to acknowledge the origin, you can either "like" the original pin or in your text write "Found via <friend>".

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

rashea

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2012, 08:56:46 AM »
I think it's odd when someone goes to the website and pins the original image, but not at all odd if they chose a different image. I often go and follow the pins to the websites, because I frequently find other images or information that I am interested in.
"Manners change, principles don't. It's about treating people with consideration, respect and honesty." Peter Post

Vermont

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2012, 12:48:42 PM »
Pin the image you like. To do otherwise is to defeat the purpose of Pinterest.

Can you write your own caption? If so, add "(thanks for the tip-off, PinterestFriend!")

But really, I wouldn't worry about linking to the PinterestFriend. They didn't actually point you to that EXACT image. If they had wanted to, they could have pinned it, but they didn't.

Betelnut

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2012, 12:52:09 PM »
I don't know about the etiquette, but I want one of those.

And I agree--the real killer is the picture of the truffle inside the cupcake.  That is what sells it, in my mind.  I would pin that one.
Native Texan, Marylander currently

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2012, 01:04:35 PM »
As far as I know, no one wins any prizes for their images having been re-pinned the most, so I can't see where it would make any difference whatsoever whether you pin the original image or whether you pin one you like better.  But I do believe the whole idea of Pinterest is to put things on your bulletin board that YOU like, so if you like something else better than the original, then I think you must pin it instead.  Or in addition to.  Or not at all.  It really makes no difference.

SisJackson

• Wear Sunscreen!
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2012, 01:48:54 PM »
As far as I know, no one wins any prizes for their images having been re-pinned the most

If there is some sort of reward for getting "re-pins" then I think you should help out your friend.

If the only "reward" is elevated self-esteem, then forget it.  Pin what you want.  I don't see any point to people basing their happiness or self-worth on how many "likes" a Facebook post gets or how many times they get re-tweeted or favorited or whatever.

kelly_jeanie

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2012, 01:55:04 PM »
From what I understand the real etiquette concern on Pinterest is making sure the link/picture/recipe is correctly attributed to the original blog/artist/etc.  As you've done that I think it's fine.  If you're concerned about your friend feeling a bit prickly because she didn't get acknowledgement for introducing the recipe to you, you could always put a comment under your pin thanking your friend for finding it.

CluelessBride

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2012, 03:54:02 PM »
Thanks everyone!  Glad to know I can pin the image I want, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to make some crazy faux pas.  It's the type of thing where *I* wouldn't care if someone else pinned something from my boards without repinning, because I'm just pretty laid back and am not bothered by whether or not I get credit for things.  But I worry that someone else might be more obsessed about it.

I'd prefer not to pin both images, because since they are of the same thing, it would feel a bit like spamming (the most recent pins from people you follow show up on the "Pinners You Follow" page, similar to facebook newsfeed). But I like the idea of mentioning the friend in the caption, at least if it's a good friend.

I don't know of any awards for the number of repins you get, but it is interesting to see.  Some things I pin get no repins, but once in awhile I'll pin something and get 60+ repins in an hour!  That's when you know what new recipe to bring to the next potluck or what craft project you need to start on ASAP.

I don't know about the etiquette, but I want one of those.

And I agree--the real killer is the picture of the truffle inside the cupcake.  That is what sells it, in my mind.  I would pin that one.

I don't eat sweets on weekdays, but I am seriously debating making them this weekend.  I really wish I had a cupcake appropriate event coming up to give me a definite excuse to make them!

DoubleTrouble

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2012, 10:14:48 AM »
Pinterest is the debil ;) I have way too much pinned but I did find this very great article on pinterest etiquette & fully agree with it all. I don't think there's anything wrong with pinning a different picture, I do it a lot!

http://www.positivelysplendid.com/2012/02/guide-to-proper-pintiquette-pinterest.html

rachellenore

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2012, 11:11:25 PM »
I would probably mention it if it was from a friend and link the one I wanted. If I linked multiple things, I would only mention the friend on the first pin.

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2012, 09:41:14 PM »
I frequently pin from the source page. Sometimes because like you I found an image that speaks to me more. Sometimes because I want to copy part of the text. Most frequently because the original pinner pinned to the front page of the blog instead of the actual blog entry with the lesson plan I want to remember.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

ccnumber4

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2012, 10:05:42 PM »
I agree with the previous posters, particularly Shoo.  The purpose of the site is to keep track of your ideas, recipes, things you love, etc.  That it is publicly accessible to others is secondary to me.  I pin things so that they are convenient for me to find and utilize.  Sometimes I do follow a pin back to the original source and end up pinning the identical image, simply because it is more convenient to me or, like kherbert said, I want to copy and paste text or notes to myself.