Author Topic: How to Tell if You're in a Jane Austen Novel  (Read 712 times)

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
How to Tell if You're in a Jane Austen Novel
« on: May 28, 2014, 10:12:21 AM »
My favorite: "A picnic has gone horribly wrong."

http://the-toast.net/2014/05/27/tell-jane-austen-novel/
Current fosters: Boojum (F, adult); Zuul (F); Magpie (M); Balrog (M); Nazgul (F)

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
Re: How to Tell if You're in a Jane Austen Novel
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2014, 11:45:26 AM »
"Someone disagreeable is trying to persuade you to take a trip to Bath."  ;D

Those were great!

Onyx_TKD

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2014, 12:53:46 PM »
You have five hundred a year. From who? Five hundred what? No one knows. No one cares. You have it. Itís yours. Every year. All five hundred of it.

Is "five hundred a year" really that confusing?  ??? We use almost the same phrase today. If I say so-and-so "makes 30,000 a year," I wouldn't have to clarify to most of my acquaintances that I meant so-and-so received 30,000 dollars (or units of the local currency) as income every year.

Two Ravens

• One for sorrow, Two for mirth...
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2014, 01:02:19 PM »
You have one friend; he is thirty years old and does business with your father and you are going to marry him someday.

Who is this supposed to be?

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2014, 02:44:56 PM »
You have one friend; he is thirty years old and does business with your father and you are going to marry him someday.

My guess is Mr. Knightley from Emma.
Current fosters: Boojum (F, adult); Zuul (F); Magpie (M); Balrog (M); Nazgul (F)

Two Ravens

• One for sorrow, Two for mirth...
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2014, 05:42:27 PM »

My guess is Mr. Knightley from Emma.

If it's Emma, it's flat out wrong. Emma certainly had more than one friend (Mrs. Weston, Harriet Smith), Knightley didn't really "do business with" her father, and he's at least 36 when the novel opens...

Margo

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2014, 05:09:42 AM »
You have five hundred a year. From who? Five hundred what? No one knows. No one cares. You have it. Itís yours. Every year. All five hundred of it.

Is "five hundred a year" really that confusing?  ??? We use almost the same phrase today. If I say so-and-so "makes 30,000 a year," I wouldn't have to clarify to most of my acquaintances that I meant so-and-so received 30,000 dollars (or units of the local currency) as income every year.

I thought that, too.

(I know the notes in my copy of S&S make the point that the numbers Austen gives are always very exact, and very accurate, in terms of the standard of living which they would allow)

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2014, 05:31:39 AM »
My favorite: "A picnic has gone horribly wrong."

http://the-toast.net/2014/05/27/tell-jane-austen-novel/

Thank you for posting that. The other books in the series are wonderful too, especially the Dashiel Hammett one.

http://the-toast.net/2014/02/20/are-you-in-a-dashiell-hammett-novel/

"Youíre part of the darkness now, and the darkness is a part of you. Sunshine and a fresh shave canít clean it off, and you know it. Razors are for other menís throats, not for yours."

"You live on the same street as Violence, just around the corner from Taking It Like A Man, and youíre not afraid to walk home alone."
It's best to love your family as you would a Siberian Tiger - from a distance, preferably separated by bars . -- Pearls Before Swine (16-May-2009)

jmarvellous

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2014, 10:16:03 AM »
I've not read much Austen, just seen lots of movies, but it's still great.

I have, on the other hand, read my share of Bronte, Dickens and Hemingway, and those lists are terrific.

"How indifferent you are to the coral."

BarensMom

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2014, 10:23:26 AM »
The above brings to mind, "You are in a Jane Austen novel if you know how much everyone in your social circle is worth." 

Nowadays, of course, it is considered rude.  It's interesting how 200 years impacts what is considered rude and polite.

bloo

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2014, 07:07:29 PM »
Oh LOLOLOLOL! ;D

From comments:

"You workout routine consists of intense thinking, and taking occasional turns about the room."

Love it!