Author Topic: Just for Fun. Phrases or words that annoy you deeply...  (Read 21229 times)

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
Re: Just for Fun. Phrases or words that annoy you deeply...
« Reply #495 on: June 10, 2014, 01:34:37 AM »
"Huddle".

I absolutely loathe that word and all it entails.

Sports? Seeking warmth?

I'm not sure what it "entails," I guess.

If my company is any guide, it's a borrowing of the sports concept for use in a business environment.  So we have 'huddle rooms' - small conference rooms seating about 4 people, which don't have to be reserved and are available for impromptu meetings.  It is very difficult to find meeting room space with less than a week's notice, so I actually like these.  Or a 'morning huddle' - short staff meeting, especially during a rush time, to make sure everyone is on the same page and knows what their priorities are for the day.

I have to say I do like 'let's take this offline' - it's a great bit of shorthand for 'Stop talking, already!'

A huddle is basically a short staff meeting to discuss any day to day issues.  I meant to explain this before and pressed the button earlier than I meant to lol!!!

I just really don't like the word.
We call our huddles "scrums", but that's probably because we're a rugby playing nation, so we borrow our sports phrases from that (along with "sprints", which are parts of the project). I don't really care about rugby at the best of times, but dragging its terminology into business is just annoying.
It's best to love your family as you would a Siberian Tiger - from a distance, preferably separated by bars . -- Pearls Before Swine (16-May-2009)

Danika

• I'm not speeding. I'm qualifying.
« Reply #496 on: June 10, 2014, 02:53:04 AM »
"Huddle".

I absolutely loathe that word and all it entails.

Sports? Seeking warmth?

I'm not sure what it "entails," I guess.

If my company is any guide, it's a borrowing of the sports concept for use in a business environment.  So we have 'huddle rooms' - small conference rooms seating about 4 people, which don't have to be reserved and are available for impromptu meetings.  It is very difficult to find meeting room space with less than a week's notice, so I actually like these.  Or a 'morning huddle' - short staff meeting, especially during a rush time, to make sure everyone is on the same page and knows what their priorities are for the day.

I have to say I do like 'let's take this offline' - it's a great bit of shorthand for 'Stop talking, already!'

A huddle is basically a short staff meeting to discuss any day to day issues.  I meant to explain this before and pressed the button earlier than I meant to lol!!!

I just really don't like the word.
We call our huddles "scrums", but that's probably because we're a rugby playing nation, so we borrow our sports phrases from that (along with "sprints", which are parts of the project). I don't really care about rugby at the best of times, but dragging its terminology into business is just annoying.

We call our huddles "scrums" too, but we're in the U.S. so I didn't know that a scrum meant anything else until your post. We use it to mean a meeting of about 8 people discussing status of tasks. I imagine that my line of work (engineering) doesn't use the word "huddle" because we're generally nerds who don't particularly care for sports.

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
« Reply #497 on: June 10, 2014, 03:45:01 AM »

<snipped quote tree>

We call our huddles "scrums" too, but we're in the U.S. so I didn't know that a scrum meant anything else until your post. We use it to mean a meeting of about 8 people discussing status of tasks. I imagine that my line of work (engineering) doesn't use the word "huddle" because we're generally nerds who don't particularly care for sports.
Whereas I knew "scrum" first as a sport term, so I was a bit baffled by its use in business (scrums are violent scuffles between two opposing teams for possession of the ball, not planning meetings to discuss strategy, why we use scrum instead of huddle is beyond me).
It's best to love your family as you would a Siberian Tiger - from a distance, preferably separated by bars . -- Pearls Before Swine (16-May-2009)

daen

« Reply #498 on: June 11, 2014, 12:26:04 PM »

<snipped quote tree>

Whereas I knew "scrum" first as a sport term, so I was a bit baffled by its use in business (scrums are violent scuffles between two opposing teams for possession of the ball, not planning meetings to discuss strategy, why we use scrum instead of huddle is beyond me).

Because you... tackle the problem...?
Sorry. I got nothing.

wonderfullyanonymous

« Reply #499 on: June 13, 2014, 07:16:23 PM »
A girl at work says  "...the thing of it is..." almost every time she starts to add things to what we are talking about. Drives me bananas.

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #500 on: June 13, 2014, 07:32:15 PM »
"..actually was...". Newspersons are saying this more and more, and it is worst on the ID channel.

Actually, I have picked this up and it is actually bothering me a lot. Really.  ;)

Redneck Gravy

« Reply #501 on: June 18, 2014, 10:21:19 AM »
I have a client that frequently runs late...he calls and says, "I will literally be there in 10 minutes"  only to show up an hour later.  I asked him if he knew what "literally" meant, he did not. 

I suggested he stop using the term!

whatsanenigma

« Reply #502 on: June 18, 2014, 12:33:05 PM »
I have a client that frequently runs late...he calls and says, "I will literally be there in 10 minutes"  only to show up an hour later.  I asked him if he knew what "literally" meant, he did not. 

I suggested he stop using the term!

I might have suspected that he was just overly optimistic.    :)

But it doesn't surprise me that he didn't know what "literally" means.  I don't know why people use "literally" like that, but it is very annoying!

magicdomino

« Reply #503 on: June 19, 2014, 11:02:06 AM »
"..actually was...". Newspersons are saying this more and more, and it is worst on the ID channel.

Actually, I have picked this up and it is actually bothering me a lot. Really.  ;)

Same here, actually.  I'm trying to cut it out.   ;)