Author Topic: Cute Pet Stories  (Read 28558 times)

magicdomino

Re: Cute Pet Stories
« Reply #120 on: February 10, 2013, 03:30:53 PM »

When he herds friend's chickens/goats/cows/kids towards the nearest appropriate area. Also he can herd drunks. But he tries to herd them into the garage for whatever reason. He is a very good sheepdog, which is funnier if you know that no member of Friend's family actually knows how to train a sheepdog, nor does the neighbor who gave the animal to them. But if you whistle he will herd the nearest group of available animals towards you, or if its a drunk, towards the garage.

Garage makes sense to me.  Drunks need to be in some kind of shelter, because they don't do well when it's rainy or cold.  But you don't want the drunks in the house, because they can break things or barf on the furniture, and sometimes they can be noisy.  The garage makes a good compromise.

RebeccainGA

• formerly RebeccainAR
« Reply #121 on: February 13, 2013, 10:14:23 AM »
Schroder, our 6 pound poodle, had a BAD haircut this weekend. His head is one big poof (think show dog style) while his body is in a close cropped 'puppy cut' style (which is what we asked for). For a variety of reasons, it was too late to take him back for them to fix it by the time I realized how bad it was - I was sick over the weekend, and it was just more than I was able to do to do anything but load him in the car and drive home. Also, they doused him with dog perfume - he smelled like a can of Axe had been emptied in his vicinity. It stunk, but again, I was sick and couldn't really smell it - but DP did, as soon as we walked in the house. He has even had a bath since then, and it's still faint but noticeable. DP was made physically ill by the scent.

Schroder interpreted DP not being able to handle him on her lap as 'I've done something horribly wrong'. He's spent the last three days SITTING ON MY FEET. He won't stay in my lap, and he didn't try to get in DP's lap for almost three days. He just sits on the floor at my feet, looking up at me at intervals as if to ask what he did wrong. Poor pup.

(BTW - now that the stink is almost gone, he's back to laying on DP's lap some. Still won't settle down for any length of time - but he's made up with her).

Lillie82

« Reply #122 on: February 13, 2013, 08:48:28 PM »
Tonight our Golden stole off the counter a clipping my dad cut out...about the Westminister Kennel Club Dog Show. ;D

It's funnier when you don't know that he's given to stealing things off counters in general: food, books, magazines, and other papers.

Copper Horsewoman

« Reply #123 on: February 25, 2014, 03:12:55 PM »
I have two 100+lb Akitas.  Best Friend has a 3 month old German Shorthaired Pointer.  Watching them play together is the cutest thing!  They are so gentle with her and play chase everywhere, and she loves it!

D'awwww. Buddies!

My in-laws have a giant, 90 pound, smelly black lab. His best pal is the runt kitten we brought home, who weighs probably five and a half pounds. She sticks her head in his mouth like she's a lion tamer, and gives her (much bigger, but much scaredier) sister a smug look, as if to say: "See? You might be bigger, but *I* have a bodyguard!"

How cute!  I love seeing the giants with the itty bitties, it's so cute!

A friend of mine had Julian, the pit bull. He was a dog fight rescue (the fights got raided by police and my friend was driving by and saw a bloody dog limping down the highway, so he took him home.) Julian spent all of his "company" time (anytime there was anyone other than his person around) with a muzzle on because people told Friend that pits could "go crazy" and that Julian was a "time bomb" Julian endured his muzzle with dignity (and some degree of patheticness so we'd give him extra loves.) Julian was never allowed around other animals because the vet assured my friend that a former fighting dog would never co-exist and described the likely meetings in very gory terms.

One day, when the big guy was pretty old (7 years after coming to live with Friend) Friend let him into the backyard to use the faculities and Julian came in with something furry in his mouth. My friend ran over, thinking Julian had killed something and Julian dropped the furry thing in his food dish. It turned out to be an utterly starved, flea covered, eyes-gunked-shut kitten. Which once Friend had washed, fed and treated, decided obviously the big MALE pit was her mommy. Julian did not disuade her of this and would walk around after the kitten, licking its hind quarters, allow kitten to crawl all over him, etc. Kitten could also eat out of Julian's bowl and the dog would stand around looking helpless, forgetting he outweighed the little guy by at least fifty pounds.

So for about a year and a half Kitten and Julian lived in harmony. Then, after Kitten had grown into a cat, one day Friend came down and found a new dog. A skinny, ugly scarred up "puppy" (half-grown or so) eating Juian's food. As Julian laid nearby with what Friend describes as a "Why does this keep happening?" look. Friend decided to foster the pup and find it a home, but told himself he couldn't keep it since Julian would turn on it eventually.

(WARNING: Its gonna get sad! If you stop now you can just enjoy the cuteness of an old dog and his buddies.)

We never found out if that was true, since for about four months all three animals lived happily, then one morning Friend woke up to Kitten yowling and Julian curled up, cold and stiff, in his bed. He kept the pup and named him Julian Junior, or J.J. for short.
My old rescue pit Otto, was so gentle that friends brought over kittens, little dogs, and toddler kids to play with him.  He was a perfect host, even letting the dogs and cats eat out of his food bowl (we did try to keep the human pups out of the kibble).  One day we were walking Otto around the local farmers' market, when a mom and girl about four or five came up and asked if my dog was friendly. I said yes, he loves being petted.  Mom gave him a pat and encouraged her daughter to come pat the nice dog.  Mom asked what breed is he? I told her the truth - this is the breed everyone wants to ban, he's pit bull.  By this time, Otto is giving the little girl big slobbery kisses, and the laughing little girl said, "Mommy! He's tasting me!" Mom's eyes bugged out, I told Otto to quit licking her, he sat nicely and she hugged him around the neck.  He was in heaven, Mom was "having kittens" (slang for nervousness) but didn't yank her child away (points for that) I said nice to meet you and we continued. Otto was a great breed ambassador.

greencat

« Reply #124 on: February 25, 2014, 07:21:13 PM »
I have two 100+lb Akitas.  Best Friend has a 3 month old German Shorthaired Pointer.  Watching them play together is the cutest thing!  They are so gentle with her and play chase everywhere, and she loves it!

D'awwww. Buddies!

My in-laws have a giant, 90 pound, smelly black lab. His best pal is the runt kitten we brought home, who weighs probably five and a half pounds. She sticks her head in his mouth like she's a lion tamer, and gives her (much bigger, but much scaredier) sister a smug look, as if to say: "See? You might be bigger, but *I* have a bodyguard!"

A friend of mine had Julian, the pit bull. He was a dog fight rescue (the fights got raided by police and my friend was driving by and saw a bloody dog limping down the highway, so he took him home.) Julian spent all of his "company" time (anytime there was anyone other than his person around) with a muzzle on because people told Friend that pits could "go crazy" and that Julian was a "time bomb" Julian endured his muzzle with dignity (and some degree of patheticness so we'd give him extra loves.) Julian was never allowed around other animals because the vet assured my friend that a former fighting dog would never co-exist and described the likely meetings in very gory terms.

One day, when the big guy was pretty old (7 years after coming to live with Friend) Friend let him into the backyard to use the faculities and Julian came in with something furry in his mouth. My friend ran over, thinking Julian had killed something and Julian dropped the furry thing in his food dish. It turned out to be an utterly starved, flea covered, eyes-gunked-shut kitten. Which once Friend had washed, fed and treated, decided obviously the big MALE pit was her mommy. Julian did not disuade her of this and would walk around after the kitten, licking its hind quarters, allow kitten to crawl all over him, etc. Kitten could also eat out of Julian's bowl and the dog would stand around looking helpless, forgetting he outweighed the little guy by at least fifty pounds.

So for about a year and a half Kitten and Julian lived in harmony. Then, after Kitten had grown into a cat, one day Friend came down and found a new dog. A skinny, ugly scarred up "puppy" (half-grown or so) eating Juian's food. As Julian laid nearby with what Friend describes as a "Why does this keep happening?" look. Friend decided to foster the pup and find it a home, but told himself he couldn't keep it since Julian would turn on it eventually.

(WARNING: Its gonna get sad! If you stop now you can just enjoy the cuteness of an old dog and his buddies.)

We never found out if that was true, since for about four months all three animals lived happily, then one morning Friend woke up to Kitten yowling and Julian curled up, cold and stiff, in his bed. He kept the pup and named him Julian Junior, or J.J. for short.
My old rescue pit Otto, was so gentle that friends brought over kittens, little dogs, and toddler kids to play with him.  He was a perfect host, even letting the dogs and cats eat out of his food bowl (we did try to keep the human pups out of the kibble).  One day we were walking Otto around the local farmers' market, when a mom and girl about four or five came up and asked if my dog was friendly. I said yes, he loves being petted.  Mom gave him a pat and encouraged her daughter to come pat the nice dog.  Mom asked what breed is he? I told her the truth - this is the breed everyone wants to ban, he's pit bull.  By this time, Otto is giving the little girl big slobbery kisses, and the laughing little girl said, "Mommy! He's tasting me!" Mom's eyes bugged out, I told Otto to quit licking her, he sat nicely and she hugged him around the neck.  He was in heaven, Mom was "having kittens" (slang for nervousness) but didn't yank her child away (points for that) I said nice to meet you and we continued. Otto was a great breed ambassador.

Whited out because of sad sad subject...
Regarding Julian the rescue - Julian was probably, sadly, one of the "bait" dogs rather than a fighter.  These are dogs that are basically in the pit to be torn to bits...they're friendly and submissive so they don't try to hurt the fighting dogs.

BarensMom

« Reply #125 on: February 26, 2014, 12:15:37 AM »
The other day, I made spaghetti for DH and myself.  Baren did his usual "no, you did not just feed me - I'm starving" routine.  Joe took a phone call and left the table, leaving his plate just a little too close to the edge.  I sat and watched Baren eat spaghetti from DH's plate by shifting his head this way and that until he could access the plate.  DH returned to half spaghetti-covered/half perfectly licked clean plate.  DH asked me why I let the dog eat from his plate.  I responded that I was fascinated by how Baren figured out how to maneuver his head around to access the plate without knocking it off the table.  Besides, that'll teach DH to take phone calls during meals.

greencat

« Reply #126 on: February 26, 2014, 01:44:19 AM »
The other day, I made spaghetti for DH and myself.  Baren did his usual "no, you did not just feed me - I'm starving" routine.  Joe took a phone call and left the table, leaving his plate just a little too close to the edge.  I sat and watched Baren eat spaghetti from DH's plate by shifting his head this way and that until he could access the plate.  DH returned to half spaghetti-covered/half perfectly licked clean plate.  DH asked me why I let the dog eat from his plate.  I responded that I was fascinated by how Baren figured out how to maneuver his head around to access the plate without knocking it off the table.  Besides, that'll teach DH to take phone calls during meals.

"Food safety" in a house with pets doesn't mean quite the same thing as it does in a pet-free household.   >:D

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #127 on: February 26, 2014, 07:07:49 AM »

"Food safety" in a house with pets doesn't mean quite the same thing as it does in a pet-free household.   >:D

Too true.  My kitty loves herbal teas.  I came back from the bathroom the other night to find my cat drinking out of my teacup.  I asked DH why he didn't stop him and he was just fascinated that he would actually drink tea of all things.  <sigh>  I gave him the cup and made myself a fresh batch.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Liliane

• Licensed to Squee
    • My Dreamwidth
« Reply #128 on: February 26, 2014, 10:02:06 PM »
Our household is very much pet friendly. I have four cats that live up here with me, and my mom has two dogs (three right now - she's fostering one.) Usually, the twain shall never meet, but...

This is Prince, the sixty-pound standard poodle who is...well, dumb as a rock, frankly...
And Sophie, the alarmingly smart kitten who has decided the dog is her plaything. Seriously.

They have this down to a system by now. Sophie will sit at the top of the stairs and meow (the only time she actually meows outright) for Prince. If he doesn't hear her and come running, she starts meandering down the stairs and meowing louder, until she's sitting on the next to last stair and craning her head around the edge of the doorway. And when he does finally realize he's being called and runs over to play with "his" kitten, she'll headbutt, nuzzle and purr her fool head off to lull him into a false sense of security, at which point she gives him a good solid whap - no claws - on the nose and run back up the stairs with the most smug look in creation on her face.

He does occasionally remember she's probably just going to smack him and run, but he just can't resist when she realizes he's not quite close enough to nuzzle and hence sticks her head out and gives him the cute eyes. :) He also now knows the word "kitten", and if he hears me say it in the particular tone I use for Sophie, he'll come running.

I haven't managed to get any decent pictures of them yet, but I did get one of Sophie trying to nuzzle up.

~I'm just standing with you, in the darkness between battles~

Kimblee

• I look good in white....
  • Super Hero!
  • "Hugs don't go Boom." "They don't? Since when?"
    • My Blog
« Reply #129 on: February 26, 2014, 10:46:30 PM »

D'awwww. Buddies!

Whited out because of sad sad subject...
Regarding Julian the rescue - Julian was probably, sadly, one of the "bait" dogs rather than a fighter.  These are dogs that are basically in the pit to be torn to bits...they're friendly and submissive so they don't try to hurt the fighting dogs.

Sadly, probably quite possible.

The pit rescue a mutual friend runs has rehabbed some former fighters. But they are all adopted into single pet homes with no children under 10.
http://www.etsy.com/shop/Sassycelticmoon
<a href="http://knitmeter.com/" title="Get Your Own KnitMeter">" border="0[/url]

greencat

« Reply #130 on: February 27, 2014, 02:11:41 AM »
Our household is very much pet friendly. I have four cats that live up here with me, and my mom has two dogs (three right now - she's fostering one.) Usually, the twain shall never meet, but...

This is Prince, the sixty-pound standard poodle who is...well, dumb as a rock, frankly...
And Sophie, the alarmingly smart kitten who has decided the dog is her plaything. Seriously.

They have this down to a system by now. Sophie will sit at the top of the stairs and meow (the only time she actually meows outright) for Prince. If he doesn't hear her and come running, she starts meandering down the stairs and meowing louder, until she's sitting on the next to last stair and craning her head around the edge of the doorway. And when he does finally realize he's being called and runs over to play with "his" kitten, she'll headbutt, nuzzle and purr her fool head off to lull him into a false sense of security, at which point she gives him a good solid whap - no claws - on the nose and run back up the stairs with the most smug look in creation on her face.

He does occasionally remember she's probably just going to smack him and run, but he just can't resist when she realizes he's not quite close enough to nuzzle and hence sticks her head out and gives him the cute eyes. :) He also now knows the word "kitten", and if he hears me say it in the particular tone I use for Sophie, he'll come running.

I haven't managed to get any decent pictures of them yet, but I did get one of Sophie trying to nuzzle up.

My Tribble spent most of his kittenhood playing with one of my dogs, a 60ish pound German Shep mix, who my ex now owns.  I agreed to dogsit for him the last Christmas he lived down here while he went to visit his family out of state, two years after he moved out, and the second Tribble realized that dog was in the house he was all over her - he's never been quite that ecstatic to see me :( 

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #131 on: February 27, 2014, 09:07:34 AM »
And when he does finally realize he's being called and runs over to play with "his" kitten, she'll headbutt, nuzzle and purr her fool head off to lull him into a false sense of security, at which point she gives him a good solid whap - no claws - on the nose and run back up the stairs with the most smug look in creation on her face.

I think these two need to be renamed Charlie Brown and Lucy...
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Liliane

• Licensed to Squee
    • My Dreamwidth
« Reply #132 on: February 27, 2014, 02:32:53 PM »
And when he does finally realize he's being called and runs over to play with "his" kitten, she'll headbutt, nuzzle and purr her fool head off to lull him into a false sense of security, at which point she gives him a good solid whap - no claws - on the nose and run back up the stairs with the most smug look in creation on her face.

I think these two need to be renamed Charlie Brown and Lucy...

Ha! ;D That is pretty much what it's like!
~I'm just standing with you, in the darkness between battles~

Julian

• I lost it between Thriller and Gangnam Style...
« Reply #133 on: March 06, 2014, 10:34:37 PM »
I live in a semi-rural area, and drive through rural countryside on my daily commute.

Down near the river is a large paddock, inhabited by a herd of around 8 horses.  Hiding in amongst the horses is a lone brown sheep. 

The sheep seems to consider she is a horse - wherever the horses are, there she is.  That or the horses thing she's just a short fluffy horse.  If she's grazing, the horses surround her.  If she's lying down, there's usually a couple of horses on the ground with her.

A few weeks back I had a great laugh on the way home one afternoon.  The horses were all galloping across the paddock, followed by the sheep at full tilt!  I've never seen a sheep run so long and fast before.

I love seeing interspecies relationships like this - it makes me think there's hope for us humans.

Valentines Mommy

« Reply #134 on: March 07, 2014, 12:34:45 PM »
I have six dogs living with me at the moment.

Three had their annual dental visit. This meant no breakfast yesterday and a light supper as they were under the influence of ketamine, Valium and other drugs.

I woke up this morning to three very hungry, groggy doggies, each holding their respective bowls in their mouths. Their eyes were as sad and mournful as they could make them while clamping down on the dinner bowls.

I was not fast enough or awake enough to grab a camera. But the mental image of Hogan, Valentine and Saber jointly begging for breakfast was precious.

It makes the fur tumbleweeds, clogged vacuum cleaner and destroyed ottoman worth it.