A Civil World. Off-topic discussions on a variety of topics. > Humor Me!

Cute Pet Stories

<< < (25/28) > >>

magicdomino:

--- Quote from: Kimblee on February 08, 2013, 09:22:29 PM ---
When he herds friend's chickens/goats/cows/kids towards the nearest appropriate area. Also he can herd drunks. But he tries to herd them into the garage for whatever reason. He is a very good sheepdog, which is funnier if you know that no member of Friend's family actually knows how to train a sheepdog, nor does the neighbor who gave the animal to them. But if you whistle he will herd the nearest group of available animals towards you, or if its a drunk, towards the garage.

--- End quote ---

Garage makes sense to me.  Drunks need to be in some kind of shelter, because they don't do well when it's rainy or cold.  But you don't want the drunks in the house, because they can break things or barf on the furniture, and sometimes they can be noisy.  The garage makes a good compromise.

RebeccainGA:
Schroder, our 6 pound poodle, had a BAD haircut this weekend. His head is one big poof (think show dog style) while his body is in a close cropped 'puppy cut' style (which is what we asked for). For a variety of reasons, it was too late to take him back for them to fix it by the time I realized how bad it was - I was sick over the weekend, and it was just more than I was able to do to do anything but load him in the car and drive home. Also, they doused him with dog perfume - he smelled like a can of Axe had been emptied in his vicinity. It stunk, but again, I was sick and couldn't really smell it - but DP did, as soon as we walked in the house. He has even had a bath since then, and it's still faint but noticeable. DP was made physically ill by the scent.

Schroder interpreted DP not being able to handle him on her lap as 'I've done something horribly wrong'. He's spent the last three days SITTING ON MY FEET. He won't stay in my lap, and he didn't try to get in DP's lap for almost three days. He just sits on the floor at my feet, looking up at me at intervals as if to ask what he did wrong. Poor pup.

(BTW - now that the stink is almost gone, he's back to laying on DP's lap some. Still won't settle down for any length of time - but he's made up with her).

Lillie82:
Tonight our Golden stole off the counter a clipping my dad cut out...about the Westminister Kennel Club Dog Show. ;D

It's funnier when you don't know that he's given to stealing things off counters in general: food, books, magazines, and other papers.

Copper Horsewoman:

--- Quote from: Kimblee on January 15, 2013, 03:52:07 PM ---
--- Quote from: Mental Magpie on January 15, 2013, 03:15:48 PM ---
--- Quote from: Seraphia on January 15, 2013, 02:23:42 PM ---
--- Quote from: Mental Magpie on January 12, 2013, 10:34:34 PM ---I have two 100+lb Akitas.  Best Friend has a 3 month old German Shorthaired Pointer.  Watching them play together is the cutest thing!  They are so gentle with her and play chase everywhere, and she loves it!

--- End quote ---

D'awwww. Buddies!

My in-laws have a giant, 90 pound, smelly black lab. His best pal is the runt kitten we brought home, who weighs probably five and a half pounds. She sticks her head in his mouth like she's a lion tamer, and gives her (much bigger, but much scaredier) sister a smug look, as if to say: "See? You might be bigger, but *I* have a bodyguard!"

--- End quote ---

How cute!  I love seeing the giants with the itty bitties, it's so cute!

--- End quote ---

A friend of mine had Julian, the pit bull. He was a dog fight rescue (the fights got raided by police and my friend was driving by and saw a bloody dog limping down the highway, so he took him home.) Julian spent all of his "company" time (anytime there was anyone other than his person around) with a muzzle on because people told Friend that pits could "go crazy" and that Julian was a "time bomb" Julian endured his muzzle with dignity (and some degree of patheticness so we'd give him extra loves.) Julian was never allowed around other animals because the vet assured my friend that a former fighting dog would never co-exist and described the likely meetings in very gory terms.

One day, when the big guy was pretty old (7 years after coming to live with Friend) Friend let him into the backyard to use the faculities and Julian came in with something furry in his mouth. My friend ran over, thinking Julian had killed something and Julian dropped the furry thing in his food dish. It turned out to be an utterly starved, flea covered, eyes-gunked-shut kitten. Which once Friend had washed, fed and treated, decided obviously the big MALE pit was her mommy. Julian did not disuade her of this and would walk around after the kitten, licking its hind quarters, allow kitten to crawl all over him, etc. Kitten could also eat out of Julian's bowl and the dog would stand around looking helpless, forgetting he outweighed the little guy by at least fifty pounds.

So for about a year and a half Kitten and Julian lived in harmony. Then, after Kitten had grown into a cat, one day Friend came down and found a new dog. A skinny, ugly scarred up "puppy" (half-grown or so) eating Juian's food. As Julian laid nearby with what Friend describes as a "Why does this keep happening?" look. Friend decided to foster the pup and find it a home, but told himself he couldn't keep it since Julian would turn on it eventually.

(WARNING: Its gonna get sad! If you stop now you can just enjoy the cuteness of an old dog and his buddies.)

We never found out if that was true, since for about four months all three animals lived happily, then one morning Friend woke up to Kitten yowling and Julian curled up, cold and stiff, in his bed. He kept the pup and named him Julian Junior, or J.J. for short.

--- End quote ---
My old rescue pit Otto, was so gentle that friends brought over kittens, little dogs, and toddler kids to play with him.  He was a perfect host, even letting the dogs and cats eat out of his food bowl (we did try to keep the human pups out of the kibble).  One day we were walking Otto around the local farmers' market, when a mom and girl about four or five came up and asked if my dog was friendly. I said yes, he loves being petted.  Mom gave him a pat and encouraged her daughter to come pat the nice dog.  Mom asked what breed is he? I told her the truth - this is the breed everyone wants to ban, he's pit bull.  By this time, Otto is giving the little girl big slobbery kisses, and the laughing little girl said, "Mommy! He's tasting me!" Mom's eyes bugged out, I told Otto to quit licking her, he sat nicely and she hugged him around the neck.  He was in heaven, Mom was "having kittens" (slang for nervousness) but didn't yank her child away (points for that) I said nice to meet you and we continued. Otto was a great breed ambassador.

greencat:

--- Quote from: Copper Horsewoman on February 25, 2014, 03:12:55 PM ---
--- Quote from: Kimblee on January 15, 2013, 03:52:07 PM ---
--- Quote from: Mental Magpie on January 15, 2013, 03:15:48 PM ---
--- Quote from: Seraphia on January 15, 2013, 02:23:42 PM ---
--- Quote from: Mental Magpie on January 12, 2013, 10:34:34 PM ---I have two 100+lb Akitas.  Best Friend has a 3 month old German Shorthaired Pointer.  Watching them play together is the cutest thing!  They are so gentle with her and play chase everywhere, and she loves it!

--- End quote ---

D'awwww. Buddies!

My in-laws have a giant, 90 pound, smelly black lab. His best pal is the runt kitten we brought home, who weighs probably five and a half pounds. She sticks her head in his mouth like she's a lion tamer, and gives her (much bigger, but much scaredier) sister a smug look, as if to say: "See? You might be bigger, but *I* have a bodyguard!"

--- End quote ---

How cute!  I love seeing the giants with the itty bitties, it's so cute!

--- End quote ---

A friend of mine had Julian, the pit bull. He was a dog fight rescue (the fights got raided by police and my friend was driving by and saw a bloody dog limping down the highway, so he took him home.) Julian spent all of his "company" time (anytime there was anyone other than his person around) with a muzzle on because people told Friend that pits could "go crazy" and that Julian was a "time bomb" Julian endured his muzzle with dignity (and some degree of patheticness so we'd give him extra loves.) Julian was never allowed around other animals because the vet assured my friend that a former fighting dog would never co-exist and described the likely meetings in very gory terms.

One day, when the big guy was pretty old (7 years after coming to live with Friend) Friend let him into the backyard to use the faculities and Julian came in with something furry in his mouth. My friend ran over, thinking Julian had killed something and Julian dropped the furry thing in his food dish. It turned out to be an utterly starved, flea covered, eyes-gunked-shut kitten. Which once Friend had washed, fed and treated, decided obviously the big MALE pit was her mommy. Julian did not disuade her of this and would walk around after the kitten, licking its hind quarters, allow kitten to crawl all over him, etc. Kitten could also eat out of Julian's bowl and the dog would stand around looking helpless, forgetting he outweighed the little guy by at least fifty pounds.

So for about a year and a half Kitten and Julian lived in harmony. Then, after Kitten had grown into a cat, one day Friend came down and found a new dog. A skinny, ugly scarred up "puppy" (half-grown or so) eating Juian's food. As Julian laid nearby with what Friend describes as a "Why does this keep happening?" look. Friend decided to foster the pup and find it a home, but told himself he couldn't keep it since Julian would turn on it eventually.

(WARNING: Its gonna get sad! If you stop now you can just enjoy the cuteness of an old dog and his buddies.)

We never found out if that was true, since for about four months all three animals lived happily, then one morning Friend woke up to Kitten yowling and Julian curled up, cold and stiff, in his bed. He kept the pup and named him Julian Junior, or J.J. for short.

--- End quote ---
My old rescue pit Otto, was so gentle that friends brought over kittens, little dogs, and toddler kids to play with him.  He was a perfect host, even letting the dogs and cats eat out of his food bowl (we did try to keep the human pups out of the kibble).  One day we were walking Otto around the local farmers' market, when a mom and girl about four or five came up and asked if my dog was friendly. I said yes, he loves being petted.  Mom gave him a pat and encouraged her daughter to come pat the nice dog.  Mom asked what breed is he? I told her the truth - this is the breed everyone wants to ban, he's pit bull.  By this time, Otto is giving the little girl big slobbery kisses, and the laughing little girl said, "Mommy! He's tasting me!" Mom's eyes bugged out, I told Otto to quit licking her, he sat nicely and she hugged him around the neck.  He was in heaven, Mom was "having kittens" (slang for nervousness) but didn't yank her child away (points for that) I said nice to meet you and we continued. Otto was a great breed ambassador.

--- End quote ---

Whited out because of sad sad subject...
Regarding Julian the rescue - Julian was probably, sadly, one of the "bait" dogs rather than a fighter.  These are dogs that are basically in the pit to be torn to bits...they're friendly and submissive so they don't try to hurt the fighting dogs.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version