Author Topic: Cute Pet Stories  (Read 28359 times)

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
Re: Cute Pet Stories
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2012, 09:45:34 AM »
Susie was the first dog we ever had.  She was a sweet little thing but had one quirk we could never explain. 

Our house was two stories high and we didn't want Susie to go upstairs when there was no human there, so we bought a folding gate.  We needn't have done so.  By sheer accident, we discovered that Susie would not go anywhere near the stairs if there was a glove lying there. 

Susie was a rescue dog we got when she was about a year old.  That might have had something to do with the aversion but we never really knew.   

Elisabunny

« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2012, 06:05:13 PM »
We used to have a black Pomeranian named Terry.  Sweetest dog ever.

He loved to rip up paper.  But, he'd ask permission first.  He'd trot up with newspaper or magazine in his mouth, and look up hopefully.  We'd check it and either thank him for bringing it and apologizing that he couldn't have it, or say, "Sure, Terry, go ahead."  Then he would proceed to rip with great glee, leaving a long trail of paper bits.  He had such fun!
You must remember this: a ghoti is still a fish...

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2012, 09:36:10 PM »
A friend of mine made some catnip toys for me.  She used some fabric scraps, stuffed a little polyfil and some catnip inside.

I gave one to each of my cats last night.  Sassy loved hers and was slobbering all over it.  Peggy gave hers a sniff, laid on it with a look on her face like, 'That's nice.  I might play with it later.  If I feel like it.'
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

greencat

« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2012, 11:22:21 PM »
I have to keep my catnip in my refrigerator - otherwise, no matter where I put it, the cats smell it and will destroy everything to try and get to it. 

Irishkitty

• Ce la vie
    • Cards and Crafts by Carol
« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2012, 06:41:40 AM »
A friend of ours has three cats. She also has one of those laser pens. Hours of fun for the two younger ones who chase the red dot around the house. The older one we reckon just plain cannot see it. He sits there with a slightly bewildered look while the other two jump up walls and run into things.

We had so much fun playing with them that we bought one to bring home for Jessie.

It started off good, it got her attention, she did the butt-wiggle. But then, not even two minutes in she glanced back and it was like "Oh, I see. You are controlling the red dot with that pen. I will not be manipulated by my servants. Carry on with your other duties. I shall commence grooming momentarily." And that was the end of that. She could not be tempted.

Ireland
Check out my handmade cards -
http://www.etsy.com/shop/CardsnCraftsbyCarol

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2012, 10:30:53 AM »
When I was a kid, my Mom had a friend with a sweet, little Boston Terrier.  The dog had been trained to 'go on the newspapers' when it couldn't be taken outside. 

In the 1950s, it was a standard thing to wash the kitchen floor on an afternoon. To keep the floor clean while it dried, old newspapers were put on the floor.  This posed a real problem for the Boston Terrier.  Because there were papers on the floor, the poor creature felt compelled to 'christen' each and every paper.  By dinner time, the poor thing was exhausted.

Snooks

« Reply #36 on: April 09, 2012, 04:02:40 PM »
My old cat had lots of joint problems and was very scared when he first came to us as a kitten.  Over the years he warmed to us by never so much that he would sit on our laps but he used to sit next to us and lean on us as if to say "I do like you but this is the best I can do".

wolfie

• I don't know what this is so I am putting random words here
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #37 on: April 09, 2012, 09:30:31 PM »
A friend of ours has three cats. She also has one of those laser pens. Hours of fun for the two younger ones who chase the red dot around the house. The older one we reckon just plain cannot see it. He sits there with a slightly bewildered look while the other two jump up walls and run into things.

Theo used to watch the other cats and then look at me with this "you know that is just a bit of light and not an actual toy, right?" look on his face. The other cats loved running after it but they seem to understand it comes from the object in my hands - I just need to pick it up and they come running.

Reader

« Reply #38 on: April 10, 2012, 09:54:31 AM »
My cat Delilah loves the laser pointer.  My friend ended up adopting her litter mate Joey at the same time I got her.  My friend had a chair that sat in a corner.  We had hours of fun running the light up the chair and then up the wall just to see Joey jump at in on the wall and then fall down the gap between the chair and corner.  Without fail he would repeat this maneuver each and every time.  We were able to do this only once to Delilah.  After that first fall behind the chair any time we tried it on her again, only to have her stop on the top of the chair and turn to look at us as if saying "like I'm falling for that again". 

readingchick

• Trivia Buff
« Reply #39 on: April 10, 2012, 02:12:30 PM »
My parents had a Siberian Husky who loved to play escape artist. She'd do the rounds of the neighborhood and mooch food from whoever she could find. Oddly enough, the neighbors loved her!

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #40 on: April 10, 2012, 02:51:34 PM »
My cat Mikey has developed a new quirk - or new training for me?

He loves it when I dangle a ribbon or a piece of fabric for him, most often when I'm cooking dinner and I have a minute to spare. He has my full attention then, which he loves. For once I'm not looking at the TV or the computer when I'm petting him!

He has somehow realised that I'm most likely to walk back to the kitchen after he has caught it and he is chewing on it. He now refuses to hold onto it - he will catch it and then let it go right away, and turn up the cuteness to eleventy in the hope that I'll continue. I guess watching me flip the ribbon around and make funny noises is better than playing with it by himself.

And yes, I'm a total sucker for this. I find it hard to resist such a cute face.
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

Lillie82

« Reply #41 on: April 13, 2012, 06:39:35 PM »
There are certain dogs in our neighborhood that our dog loves to play with.

He knows where they live. On a walk, he'll usually hesitate or even sit in front of one of their houses.

Once, he was sitting with my brother, watching a baseball game. A neighbor, who is the "mom" of one of our dog's friends, called about arranging a "play date." I think my mom had her speakerphone on. When our dog heard the name, and the voice, he rushed to the window, probably thinking his dog friend was there.

He always sat up and paid attention to a flea product commercial that said something like, "Dogs aren't just pets, they're part of the family."

Our state and an adjoining state are big college sports rivals. I didn't see this, but my brother swears the dog wagged his tail for the school my brother cheers for (when it was shown on TV) and barked as soon as the other one came on.

And check out the second letter:
http://www.uexpress.com/dearabby/?uc_full_date=20071121

Not my pets, but I thought it was hilarious and was looking for somewhere on this site it would be appropriate.

Does anyone else think Mitzy's "human mom," has been unsuccessfully making a play for Adonis' "human dad"?
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 11:45:20 PM by Lillie82 »

wonderfullyanonymous

« Reply #42 on: June 03, 2012, 09:14:47 PM »
This is not my cat, however, the video is very funny.

Watch the video twice, the first time through, turn your sound off, and just watch the video. The second time through, turn you sound up. It's definitely worth watching this way.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=829_1338681596

purplemuse

• Super Hero!
  • This is going to be super special awesome!
« Reply #43 on: June 22, 2012, 04:09:35 PM »
So I accidentally booby-trapped the gerbil cage a while back...

It's a two-level arrangement, with a ramp between levels. I put some toilet paper tubes in the cage for them to play with, but didn't realize that one of the tubes was right at the top of the ramp. I was watching the gerbils play, when Hero crawled into the precariously placed tube. He was doing all right, until he passed the halfway point, when he overbalanced, and the tube slid down the ramp with his little ger-butt sticking out the top.

Once he hit the bottom, he popped right out and was perfectly fine. There's a reason he's the one who got the name "Hero."

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #44 on: June 23, 2012, 10:12:48 AM »
I have several cute pet stories! 

Our current dog, Smokey, likes it when we have time to give him our full attention (naturally!).  Usually in the mornings, I have about 5-10 minutes where I'm just sitting on the bed, drying my hair, and not really doing much.  Smokes likes to demand attention during that time.  He's figured out that when I stand up, attention time is over for the rest of the morning.  So now, he lies on the bed in such a way that my legs/towel are trapped underneath him.  When I tell him "Come on, get up", he'll instead flip onto his back and beg for tummy rubs!  Anything to get more attention!  I've almost been late leaving the house several times due to this, but I just can't say no to my adorable dog begging for attention!

My grandparents have a beautiful Great Pyrenees named Lady.  She's usually a very sweet dog who loves all visitors to the house.  About 4 years ago or so, my grandfather got very sick and was in the hospital quite a bit.  When he came home, Lady got very protective of him, but we didn't realize just how protective.  My DH and I went over there to visit around Christmas, and Lady was very happy to see me (she's known me since she was a puppy, after all) and was equally not happy to see my DH.  She started growling at him!  I tried to calm her down, telling her it was okay, he's with me, he's a friend, but she kept growling.  All of a sudden, my grandfather hollers out "Lady, you b*tch!  Stop that and behave!"  >:D  Lady looked very abashed at having to be yelled at, and let DH past her to go say hi.  My grandfather looked at both of us and said, "Well, she is, so it's not like it's an insult or anything!".  I was almost laughing too hard to hug him!  Since then, Lady's nickname has become, "Lady, you b*tch!". 

When I was growing up, my dad had a purebred Samoyed named Nikki.  After we moved into the house we lived in now, we discovered a slight problem.  The big 90 lb blinding white dog was somehow managing to disappear out of our backyard.  We'd let him out, and when we went to let him back in, we couldn't find him.  The backyard is just one big rectangle, so we should have been able to see him no matter where he was.  One day, as I was calling for Nikki, I happened to go over to the edge of the deck and look over the railing to see if he was in the shade.  I saw a pair of white paws sticking out from *under* the deck, and watched as he pulled himself out from under the deck, flat on his belly.  He looked pretty silly, but appeared to be okay and happy.  After he got out from the deck, I went over and peered under there.  He had a nice little depression all scratched out.  We didn't have AC at the time, so it was his way of keeping himself cool in the summer.  Not to be outdone, my big black dog Rody found another way under the deck, under the stairs, to create his own cool depression.  They both loved to be under there, curled up in the cool dirt.  My parents have had several dogs in the years since Rody and Nikki died, and not one of them has shown any desire to crawl under the deck like those two did. 

Last story, speaking of decks.  When we first got Smokey, four years ago, we invited one of DH's friends over with his dog so the dogs could play together.  Zach has a pug named Molly.  Smokey and Molly had a great time playing in our yard, running up and down the yard, until Molly discovered the our deck was high enough off the ground that she could run underneath it.  Smokey, being a lab/hound mix, is not small enough to fit under the deck.  Cue Molly running around under the deck, while Smokey mimicked her route on top of the deck, and all of the adults stood around laughing hysterically!