Author Topic: Cute Pet Stories  (Read 25527 times)

Lillie82

Re: Cute Pet Stories
« Reply #45 on: June 25, 2012, 11:08:30 PM »
"Lady, you b*tch!"

I think, except in dog breeding and/or showing circles, this word gets used mostly in its slang sense. So when someone finally uses it about an actual female dog, it sounds funny.

And more so when pet people manage to combine the two meanings, as I think Lady  Snowdon's grandfather was doing: an actual female dog, but she's being mean, aggressive, and such. My former supervisor used to say that her female basset  (:o), who ruled over the other dogs in the house, could be "a real b*tch."

And another dog rescue person I know said that five of his dogs got into a fight, and "four were bit - I mean females."

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #46 on: June 25, 2012, 11:12:37 PM »
When my sister was 10 and showing her female sheltie at shows, she could say "bit**" at shows but nowhere else.

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #47 on: June 25, 2012, 11:41:06 PM »
During the hot weather last week Figaro decided to sleep in the bathtub:

One morning I heard him batting something around in the tub and guess what it was..... my razor!

RooRoo

• Iím out of my mind. Please leave a message.
« Reply #48 on: July 18, 2012, 09:18:30 PM »
Hey, I got a million of them! (I just turned 60, and have had dogs and/or cats since I was 6, plus 11 years of teaching obedience classes & competing)

About being a b*tch... My pampered Miniature Bull Terrier, Gracie, taught me how the word crossed over from the dog world to the rest of us. She will sit in my lap, look up at me all smoosh-faced (I love you Mom, I love you Mom). According to DH, when one of the other dogs walks by, she'll turn towards them, making sure I can't see her face, and bare her teeth - then turn back and be all smoosh-faced again. What a "Female Dog"! (I let the filter have it this time!)

Jackson was a street tomcat that I befriended, fed, and eventually adopted about 20 years ago. I knew his time would be short, as he tested positive for feline leukemia. He seemed perfectly happy as an indoor-only cat, sometimes looking out the windows, but usually just hanging out near me and avoiding my kitty-loving dog Tamino.

After I'd had him around two years, he expressed a desire to go out. It was the middle of the winter in New England, with about a foot and a half of snow in the yard. I gathered him in my arms and stepped out on the porch.

He craned his neck and looked all around. Then he looked at my face, and tucked his face into my chest. "I remember all that - let's go back inside now."

A few weeks later, he was heading for the lovely dog bed my mother bought Tamino. (They were used to each other by now; Tamino tactfully left Jackson alone, and Jackson was getting over his street-bred fear.)  Tamino was curled up in it, which meant Jackson would go for my pillow - 2nd best - instead. This time, Jackson stopped, looked at Tamino, shrugged his shoulders, and joined him. The rest of his too-short life, they would curl up together in the L.L. Bean comfy bed.

Another language story... The other cat I had at that time was unremarkable except for being remarkably stupid. She'd sit in "her" chair, and every time Tamino walked by, she'd reach out her paw and stick her claws into his back. How catty!

She eventually died. So, Jackson went away in the carrier and never came back, and then she did the same thing. (You know, that final trip to the vet's. *snif*) Tamino got very depressed. I worried about him - he wasn't a young dog at that point.

One of the supervisors at work had a cat that had had kittens, so I adopted two of them. I got them their first shots on the way home. Tamino was in bliss, and they adapted to him just fine! All was happy. You should have seen them - one large dog playing very carefully with two tiny hellions kitties!  Then it was time for their second set of shots.

I put them in the carrier and headed for the door. Remember what happened with kitties and carriers before? Tamino wouldn't let me leave! He got between me and the door, crying and sobbing. (Yes, dogs can sob.) I got on my knees, petted him and loved on him, and promised him I was going to bring them back. Still worried, he got out of my way.

When the three of us got home, it was party time! I swear, if it wasn't for that pesky gravity, Mr. T would have been walking on the ceiling.

I'd love to tell y'all about our trip from Connecticut to Colorado, but you've already gotten 5 stories. Your turns!
"Someday we must write a book of Etiquette for sensible people," said Mrs. Morland, "though apart from a few rules it really boils down to an educated mind and a kind heart." ~ Angela Thirkell, Never Too Late

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #49 on: July 18, 2012, 09:33:46 PM »
I've mentioned before that my cat Pris is a lap addict. If I'm sitting or lying down she wants to sit on me. The other day I was sitting on the bed and she came up to me. I leaned over on my side, and she walked around me with such a look of consternation on her face, trying to figure out how to sit in a lap that was sideways! I nearly busted a gut laughing.

And then of course she gave me that LOOK because she knew I was laughing at her. :P
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

greencat

« Reply #50 on: July 18, 2012, 11:54:12 PM »
My 75 pound dog has been running away from the little tiny kitten (size: whole body fits in my hand) when it displays any kind of aggression towards him.

Nikko-chan

« Reply #51 on: July 19, 2012, 12:02:45 AM »
My 75 pound dog has been running away from the little tiny kitten (size: whole body fits in my hand) when it displays any kind of aggression towards him.

*Snerk* Okay now that is funny. Maybe you could capture a video of this sometime?

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #52 on: July 19, 2012, 08:22:31 AM »
That's as funny as the one someone posted a while back about the cat who beats up the flatulent dog.

shadowfox79

« Reply #53 on: July 19, 2012, 11:10:38 AM »
My aunt has two fairly old cats - Florence, who is 18, and Tom, who is 14.

Florence recently went blind, much to the annoyance of Tom, who couldn't work out why she wasn't acting as she had. However, he eventually worked it out, because he started leading Florence everywhere she wanted to go. Florence would nuzzle her face into his shoulder and then he would either walk her to the food bowl or, when they were outside, walk her round the garden doing their daily purrimeter check.

Bless him.  :)
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 02:45:55 AM by shadowfox79 »

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #54 on: July 19, 2012, 12:18:40 PM »
My aunt has two fairly old cats - Florence, was is 18, and Tom, who is 14.

Florence recently went blind, much to the annoyance of Tom, who couldn't work out why she wasn't acting as she had. However, he eventually worked it out, because he started leading Florence everywhere she wanted to go. Florence would nuzzle her face into his shoulder and then he would either walk her to the food bowl or, when they were outside, walk her round the garden doing their daily purrimeter check.

Bless him.  :)

OK. I'm tearing up! What a sweet story.

When I hear/read things like this, I think that often other animals are more compassionate, empathetic, understanding, and tolerant than many people I know.

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #55 on: July 19, 2012, 01:36:45 PM »
If you haven't seen any of my other posts, I'll recap a little: Banshee and Colossus are Big Dogs (~100lbs a piece and ~2.5ft at the shoulder).

Colossus is a complete and utter hambone; sometimes we call him Monsieur Jambon.  At the vet's office a while back, it was almost as if he was excited to get his shots and his temperature taken.  He pranced around, nudged at the vet and vet tech for pets, held his tail up and curled, and basically was just happy there were more people around to pay attention to him.

The entire time he was getting this done, Banshee had her face buried in my crotch.  I know that sounds dirty, but I was sitting on a small couch they had in the exam room and it was the best place she could find to hide from the Tormentors.  It was her hole in the sand; if she couldn't see it, it wasn't happening.  Dark Boyfriend made some comment about having to fight her if she kept that up, but the worst came when it was her turn.

Dark Boyfriend had to physically restrain Colossus because the stupid dog was still trying to get pets from the vet and vet tech.  Meanwhile, I was trying to push Banshee away from me and over to the other side of the room.  Futile.  As the vet approached, Banshee unburied her head long enough to catch a glimpse of the Tormentors coming towards her before she dove her head into my armpit, half climbing up into my lap to do so.

After we were done laughing at this huge dog half in my lap, half in my armpit, legs on the ground, we all decided it was just best if she stayed there, so I pet her and soothed her with one hand and offered a hole in the sand with my other.  So far, she has done something similar at every vet visit, and I still laugh like a loon when she does.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #56 on: July 19, 2012, 01:45:41 PM »
I took my two cats to the vet for an annual check up.  Peggy, the snuggle bug, was first, purred for the vet while he pet her to make her comfortable, let him do whatever he needed to, took her shot and climbed back into the carrier when done.

Sassy, on the other hand, was, well, sassy.  The vet was trying to check her teeth when she hissed at him.  He laughed, thanked her for the good look and went to the other side, where she did the same thing again.  But she was somewhat reluctant to go back into the carrier.  Weirdo...
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #57 on: July 19, 2012, 03:01:31 PM »

A few weeks later, he was heading for the lovely dog bed my mother bought Tamino. (They were used to each other by now; Tamino tactfully left Jackson alone, and Jackson was getting over his street-bred fear.)  Tamino was curled up in it, which meant Jackson would go for my pillow - 2nd best - instead. This time, Jackson stopped, looked at Tamino, shrugged his shoulders, and joined him. The rest of his too-short life, they would curl up together in the L.L. Bean comfy bed.

:'(

magicdomino

« Reply #58 on: July 19, 2012, 05:38:42 PM »
We had so much fun playing with them that we bought one to bring home for Jessie.

It started off good, it got her attention, she did the butt-wiggle. But then, not even two minutes in she glanced back and it was like "Oh, I see. You are controlling the red dot with that pen. I will not be manipulated by my servants. Carry on with your other duties. I shall commence grooming momentarily." And that was the end of that. She could not be tempted.

That happened with Domino, except he gave me a deeply suspicious stare, as if the laser pointer was going to turn into a laser gun or light saber at any moment.  I had to turn off the pointer and walk away before he went back to his business.

greencat

« Reply #59 on: July 21, 2012, 03:24:26 AM »
My brother bought my mother a cat toy for Christmas this year.  My parents have a LOT of cats, so automating laser-toy-time was a good idea.  It was something like this: http://www.petflow.com/product/lucky-litter/frolicat-dart-automatic-rotating-laser-pet-toy-?utm_source=shopping&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=1  Kind of looked like an alien dropped off their pet toy, but I digress.  A couple of the cats looked at the thing and ran away from it.  A couple of them chased the light around like they're supposed to.  A few of them looked at the light, then looked up at the toy, walked to it and sniffed it, and then looked at the humans like "What?  You think we're going to chase that?  You're supposed to entertain us!"