Author Topic: Cute Pet Stories  (Read 30130 times)

Shea

Re: Cute Pet Stories
« Reply #75 on: October 28, 2012, 10:43:28 PM »
When I was in high school, I sometimes taught at the children's horse camps at a stable near to my home in exchange for lessons from one of the resident instructors. The stable had a herd of lesson horses, which lived in a big field behind the main barn. They were mostly on the elderly side, and one of them, Patches, was the stalwart seen-it-all, done-it-all old gelding that most lesson stables keep around to teach the youngest kids to ride. He was gentle, tolerant, and completely bombproof.

However, ol' Patches had apparently been a stallion up until he was around six years old (goodness knows why, he wasn't anything particularly special in the way of conformation, talent or bloodlines, but I digress). If you geld a horse after a certain age, they'll often retain certain stud behaviors, even in the absence of a testosterone source. Now Patches had been separated from his testosterone sources at least 16 years prior, but somewhere in the dim recesses of his memory he knew he was supposed to be interested in mares. His way of expressing this interest was to maintain a small harem of mares, which he jealously guarded from the other geldings in the herd (none of whom could have possibly cared less), but seemed to have no idea what to do with them (which was probably a good thing. The mares were all old and would probably not have approved). You'd often see him in the field, hanging out with his girls, looking as though he knew he was missing something, but what? What was he forgetting?

If a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, librarians are a global threat.

Gyburc

« Reply #76 on: October 29, 2012, 07:50:12 AM »
There's nothing cuter than watching a teeny kitten pass out in the middle of doing something - I swear they're all narcoleptic.

Ducklings and goslings do this too when they're very young. It's amazingly cute, especially when they fall asleep while you're holding them. Also, sometimes, their little heads just sink forwards as they drift off, and they end up sort of balancing on their beaks. Silly things!
When you look into the photocopier, the photocopier also looks into you

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #77 on: November 07, 2012, 02:17:39 PM »
There's nothing cuter than watching a teeny kitten pass out in the middle of doing something - I swear they're all narcoleptic.

Ducklings and goslings do this too when they're very young. It's amazingly cute, especially when they fall asleep while you're holding them. Also, sometimes, their little heads just sink forwards as they drift off, and they end up sort of balancing on their beaks. Silly things!

Years ago when I had just gotten my cat Molly, she was a tiny kitten.  She was sitting next to my big male cat on the couch (Robesie was amazingly gentle with kittens) and her head kept falling forward as she fought to stay awake.  Finally, after a couple of times of jerking her head back up, she decided it was nap time and snuggled up next to Robesie.  Seeing this big fluffy male cat with a tiny kitten curled up next to him was so cute, but I didn't think to get a picture. 

I also didn't think to get a picture of a later cat, Vega, who liked to sleep in my slippers when she was a kitten.

mmswm

« Reply #78 on: November 08, 2012, 07:44:20 PM »
This is "Giant Dog".  He belongs to friends of mine (the friends I'm staying with right now).  Even though he weighs 100lbs, he thinks he's a teeny tiny puppy.  Here he is trying to get into my 13yo son's lap.

He's also got a penchant for marshmallows.  He can sniff out a bag of marshmallows from 500 feet away, and has been known to let himself into the house in order to steal a bag.  I think it's hysterical to watch him guard his stolen treasures like they were the hope diamond.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #79 on: November 08, 2012, 08:23:06 PM »
Mental Mom's golden does that! He doesn't always bring up his back paws, either, but will just stand over you.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

greencat

« Reply #80 on: November 08, 2012, 09:38:56 PM »
Aww!  That reminded me of what my dogs used to do (when my ex and I were still together, and I had dogs plural.)

Sometimes my ex would have out-of-town events for his hobby that meant he would be gone overnight.  When he did that, one of the dogs would sleep in the bed with me, and the other dog would sleep between the bed and the door.  When they heard something outside (usually, the neighbors - this was a cute thing, not a smart one!) the dog on the bed with me would stand on top of me and face the window, barking her head off, and the other dog would stand facing out the bedroom door, doing his own thunderous barking.  They were very very clearly trying to protect me.

mmswm

« Reply #81 on: November 10, 2012, 01:50:31 AM »
Golden Retrievers are great.  I am totally in love with Lebron, aka "Giant Dog".  Speaking of Golden retrievers, here's a cute shot of a Golden on the other end of the size scale.  This is the most laid back puppy ever born. For whatever reason, he loves to be on his back.  We find him nursing while on his back, sleeping on his back, everything. He's going to grow up to demand constant tummy rubs.

Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

Delia DeLyons

« Reply #82 on: November 20, 2012, 08:45:51 PM »
I wish I had pictures to illustrate, but alas, it happened so quick...

I poured a glass of Cupcake Prosecco (bubbly) feeling festive on a Tuesday...

As my glass rested beside me, on the table-by-my-chair; Tortie, Lucy sat on the big, round, brown leather ottoman at my feet...

The bubbles rapidly rose against the sides of the wide round glass, and Lucy's eyes showed *so* much concern.

I reached for my glass...

I swear. Lucy's orange jaw dropped against its black, speckled background.

And as I broached my lip with the lip of the glass.. Her pupils *soared* to the very edges of the socket of her eyes.  Her head cocked at so *ever* a tilt...

"You... Are going... To drink... *them*?!?!?!?"

So.Very.Priceless.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 09:15:11 PM by Delia DeLyons »
Once in a while you get your delight, in the strangest of faces if you look at it right...

wonderfullyanonymous

« Reply #83 on: January 07, 2013, 12:45:38 PM »
I inherited a bunny, Lily, from a coworker who could no longer keep her. I just now caught her and one of the cats playing. She also likes playing with matchbox cars.

JeseC

« Reply #84 on: January 12, 2013, 09:20:17 PM »
We have a classic cat case of "I want whatever you have."  Anything that you are eating, he wants a bite.  The funny thing is if he can get to it he doesn't care.  The funniest one was right after we'd gotten him.  My roommate (his owner) had left a stray piece of bacon out for if the cat wanted to nibble.  I had a bowl of vegan lentil soup.  Guess what the cat does?  Sniffs the bacon once, completely ignores it, and spends the ENTIRE meal time trying to get his head in so he can get a bite of my soup.

Jones

« Reply #85 on: January 12, 2013, 09:31:53 PM »
Three of Max's puppies have gone to their permanent homes. The final fourth (whom I want to keep if my brother comes home from Afghanistan and takes back his dog so we aren't over our limit) apparently thinks my head is the perfect replacement for her empty bed. I woke up to puppy snores during my nap today; if her nose hadn't been in my ear I wouldn't have heard her at all.

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #86 on: January 12, 2013, 10:34:34 PM »
I have two 100+lb Akitas.  Best Friend has a 3 month old German Shorthaired Pointer.  Watching them play together is the cutest thing!  They are so gentle with her and play chase everywhere, and she loves it! 
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #87 on: January 12, 2013, 11:27:57 PM »
Carmen became very territorial about the kitchen when she arrived in November 2010.  This afternoon she tried to grab a sheet of crumpled paper to cover Figaro's bowl, which is in the living room.  He took exception to that and chased her.  What mischief makers they are.

mmswm

« Reply #88 on: January 13, 2013, 12:17:55 AM »
Lucy came home from the vet today.  She weighs all of 6 pounds.  Baxter, my 120lb mastiff spent the entire day curled protectively around her, not letting anybody but me get near her.  I thought it was adorable.

greencat

« Reply #89 on: January 13, 2013, 12:20:43 AM »
Moose (my half-grown kitten) decided that just sitting on the edge of the tub while I showered wasn't good enough anymore.  First, he tried to recapture me through the shower curtain - a curtain, which I might add, is already clear.  Although he had some initial successes grabbing my hand, I was able to elude his grasp.  Then he intentionally got into the tub at the far end, away from the water.  He lasted about ten seconds before he realized that he was still getting wet and jumped back out.

I'm surprised that the shower curtain hasn't gotten torn down (recently.)