Author Topic: Cute Pet Stories  (Read 27933 times)

Seraphia

• Unabashed cat person
Re: Cute Pet Stories
« Reply #90 on: January 15, 2013, 02:23:42 PM »
I have two 100+lb Akitas.  Best Friend has a 3 month old German Shorthaired Pointer.  Watching them play together is the cutest thing!  They are so gentle with her and play chase everywhere, and she loves it!

D'awwww. Buddies!

My in-laws have a giant, 90 pound, smelly black lab. His best pal is the runt kitten we brought home, who weighs probably five and a half pounds. She sticks her head in his mouth like she's a lion tamer, and gives her (much bigger, but much scaredier) sister a smug look, as if to say: "See? You might be bigger, but *I* have a bodyguard!"
Ancora Imparo - I am still learning

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #91 on: January 15, 2013, 03:15:48 PM »
I have two 100+lb Akitas.  Best Friend has a 3 month old German Shorthaired Pointer.  Watching them play together is the cutest thing!  They are so gentle with her and play chase everywhere, and she loves it!

D'awwww. Buddies!

My in-laws have a giant, 90 pound, smelly black lab. His best pal is the runt kitten we brought home, who weighs probably five and a half pounds. She sticks her head in his mouth like she's a lion tamer, and gives her (much bigger, but much scaredier) sister a smug look, as if to say: "See? You might be bigger, but *I* have a bodyguard!"

How cute!  I love seeing the giants with the itty bitties, it's so cute!
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Kimblee

• I look good in white....
  • Super Hero!
  • "Hugs don't go Boom." "They don't? Since when?"
    • My Blog
« Reply #92 on: January 15, 2013, 03:52:07 PM »

D'awwww. Buddies!

A friend of mine had Julian, the pit bull. He was a dog fight rescue (the fights got raided by police and my friend was driving by and saw a bloody dog limping down the highway, so he took him home.) Julian spent all of his "company" time (anytime there was anyone other than his person around) with a muzzle on because people told Friend that pits could "go crazy" and that Julian was a "time bomb" Julian endured his muzzle with dignity (and some degree of patheticness so we'd give him extra loves.) Julian was never allowed around other animals because the vet assured my friend that a former fighting dog would never co-exist and described the likely meetings in very gory terms.

One day, when the big guy was pretty old (7 years after coming to live with Friend) Friend let him into the backyard to use the faculities and Julian came in with something furry in his mouth. My friend ran over, thinking Julian had killed something and Julian dropped the furry thing in his food dish. It turned out to be an utterly starved, flea covered, eyes-gunked-shut kitten. Which once Friend had washed, fed and treated, decided obviously the big MALE pit was her mommy. Julian did not disuade her of this and would walk around after the kitten, licking its hind quarters, allow kitten to crawl all over him, etc. Kitten could also eat out of Julian's bowl and the dog would stand around looking helpless, forgetting he outweighed the little guy by at least fifty pounds.

So for about a year and a half Kitten and Julian lived in harmony. Then, after Kitten had grown into a cat, one day Friend came down and found a new dog. A skinny, ugly scarred up "puppy" (half-grown or so) eating Juian's food. As Julian laid nearby with what Friend describes as a "Why does this keep happening?" look. Friend decided to foster the pup and find it a home, but told himself he couldn't keep it since Julian would turn on it eventually.

(WARNING: Its gonna get sad! If you stop now you can just enjoy the cuteness of an old dog and his buddies.)

We never found out if that was true, since for about four months all three animals lived happily, then one morning Friend woke up to Kitten yowling and Julian curled up, cold and stiff, in his bed. He kept the pup and named him Julian Junior, or J.J. for short.
http://www.etsy.com/shop/Sassycelticmoon
<a href="http://knitmeter.com/" title="Get Your Own KnitMeter">" border="0[/url]

RebeccainGA

• formerly RebeccainAR
« Reply #93 on: January 15, 2013, 04:18:41 PM »
We've had pets for my whole life. I have a ton of stories.

My hamster, Hannah, was about two years old (pretty old in  hamster terms) when she escaped from her cage. I was about 7, living on the second floor of an apartment with my family, and heartbroken. 9 days later, our downstairs neighbor, who we were friendly with, came upstairs and told dad that 'something was in her walls' and asked if he'd try and get it out (didn't want a dead mouse or rat stinking up the place). Dad cuts a small piece of drywall out, and *ta-da!* there's Hannah! She drank forever, and ate, and lived another year and a half. She never tried to escape again.

My old cat Mary Alice was an endless source of stories. I had not had hamsters in years, but in my first apartment, after my guinea pig Caleb died, I wanted another critter but couldn't deal with another guinea pig yet. Enter Houdini, the hamster that couldn't be caged. No matter how 'escape proof' the cage was, he'd find the weakness. Every single time he'd escape, Mary Alice (who was an 8 year old, 18 pound cat with all her claws and teeth) would round him up like he was an errant sheep, nudge him towards where I was, and then meow to tell me he was out again. Houdini would just wait for me to pick him up, and I'd drop him back in his cage. He died of old age before I ever found a cage that could hold him, but Mary Alice would always make sure he was OK.

We had two large, outdoor dogs when I was first married - Rocky, and Tootsie. Rocky was an older dog when we got married, and DP and DD had found her when DD was only about 3 (so Rocky was about 8 when we got married). She was a very smart, sweet dog. Tootsie was a very sweet dog, too, but dumb as a bag of hair. She was a puppy born at the humane society that we adopted when DD was about 12. Rocky was her 'helper dog' until she passed. Rocky told Tootsie when it was time to go to sleep, when it was time to go potty, when it was time to scratch on the back door for dinner, when to hide under the shed to get out of the rain and when it was necessary to ask to come in because it was too cold. We thought it was because Tootsie has imprinted on Rocky as her 'mommy', since Tootsie was still less than six months old when we got her. Nope. When Rocky died, and DD adopted Sammy (a huge hound mix) who was half her age, Tootsie expected him to tell her when to do things, too. Sammy didn't get it, but tried. Tootsie eventually developed an inoperable cancer and had to be put to sleep, but up to the day we did, she still was expecting other dogs to tell her when to do things - a perfect mix of trust, sweet, and dumb. She is missed.

greencat

« Reply #94 on: January 16, 2013, 01:58:10 AM »

D'awwww. Buddies!

My Labrador is a gentle giant, though he emphatically did not enjoy having the various kittens he's lived with attempt to eat his tail. 

However, the other big dog my ex and I had together, which he got in the "divorce," loved playing with smaller animals.  She would lay down and allow the little ones to crawl all over her back, wrestle on/with her head, and chase her tail.  She did it with puppies she met at the dog park, the puppy that I fostered, and cats and kittens.  She even made nice with a rabbit she met at the vet's office when they were both in for non-illness-related visits.  My favorite was watching her play with my kitten, who I got when he was all of about five weeks old and no more than a pound - he was a little tiny handful.  He chewed her ears and sat on her head and chased her around the house (to clarify, I do mean that the cat chased the dog.  She never really got the opportunity to chase him, because he'd just attack her head instead of taking off running.)  When the kitten got older and stopped being playful and started being cuddly instead, the kitten would wind around her legs and roll over on his back so she could lick his belly :)  I did have to stop using her crate because of the cat - he took to sitting on top of it and batting at her ears and tail, which made her whine, apparently because she was separated from her buddy.  When I dog-sat for my ex while he went out of town, my now adult cat greeted her with more enthusiasm than he greets me when I come home. 

greencat

« Reply #95 on: January 16, 2013, 02:06:30 AM »
I remembered something funny that happened when I was getting ready to leave my house once. 

So, I had six cats and two dogs at the time, and a couple of the cats were predominantly black, as was one of the dogs, a half-grown Labrador puppy.  I had been going in and out of the house doing laundry, and I wanted to make sure all the cats were accounted for before I went out for the evening.  I sent the dogs to their crates, and started counting cats.  Five out of six were either visible or came out when they were called.  The sixth cat, one of the mostly black ones, was nowhere to be found.  I went outside and called for him.  He didn't come.  I went back inside and called for him - still nothing.  I popped a can of tuna, sure to make even sound-asleep cats appear as if by magic - and lo and behold, I heard a faint "meow."  But where was it coming from?  I called the cat's name, and got another noise in reply.  Strangely, it appeared to be coming from near the dog crates.  I looked around the crates, and didn't see the cat.  I heard the noise again - and I looked in the Lab's crate.  Oddly, my dog appeared to have two tails. 

Yep.  Apparently, the cat had run into the crate before I closed it, and my dog sat on the cat.  The cat didn't seem to mind too much though - at least, not until it was being deprived of tuna!

mmswm

« Reply #96 on: February 05, 2013, 11:13:09 PM »
Today I was watching as all three dogs were romping in the yard.  I have Baxter, a 120lb 19mo Mastiff and Lucy a 2ish year old terrier mix of some sort (mini rat? Jack Russel?) who weighs 8lbs.  My mom has Sammy, a 3ish year old mutt of about 20lbs. He' floofy, but I have no clue what kind of mix he is.

So, the boy dogs were playing a rather feisty game of tug-o-war with half a duck toy. It's one of those long, flat toys with no stuffing.  I have no idea what happened to the other half.  Anyway, the're in quite the battle, and Lucy just sat there and watched.  All of a sudden, Lucy bolts at full speed and takes a flying leap toward the boys, stealing the duck toy away from both of them.  The boys just sat there and looked at me with this look that said "what just happened there?", while Lucy sauntered away with her treasure.  She was so proud of herself and the boys were just dumbfounded.  It was hysterical.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
« Reply #97 on: February 06, 2013, 04:46:08 PM »
Today I was watching as all three dogs were romping in the yard.  I have Baxter, a 120lb 19mo Mastiff and Lucy a 2ish year old terrier mix of some sort (mini rat? Jack Russel?) who weighs 8lbs.  My mom has Sammy, a 3ish year old mutt of about 20lbs. He' floofy, but I have no clue what kind of mix he is.

So, the boy dogs were playing a rather feisty game of tug-o-war with half a duck toy. It's one of those long, flat toys with no stuffing.  I have no idea what happened to the other half.  Anyway, the're in quite the battle, and Lucy just sat there and watched.  All of a sudden, Lucy bolts at full speed and takes a flying leap toward the boys, stealing the duck toy away from both of them.  The boys just sat there and looked at me with this look that said "what just happened there?", while Lucy sauntered away with her treasure.  She was so proud of herself and the boys were just dumbfounded.  It was hysterical.

I love when the little dogs get the best of the big dogs!  It's like they just can't believe it happened!
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

wonderfullyanonymous

« Reply #98 on: February 06, 2013, 09:20:49 PM »
Many years ago, before I knew him, DF had a Jack Russel and a wolf hybrid. The Jack Russel had a leather glove that he loved to play with, and one day while he was playing with this glove, the wolf got a bug in his rear and took off after the Jack Russel. DF says that he thought the wolf was going to kill the Jack, and started to call him back. Instead of going after the Jack, he went after the glove. He grabbed the glove and took off around the yard at a dead run with the Jack flying in the breeze with him. He says it was the funniest thing he had ever seen.

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
« Reply #99 on: February 06, 2013, 09:23:32 PM »
Many years ago, before I knew him, DF had a Jack Russel and a wolf hybrid. The Jack Russel had a leather glove that he loved to play with, and one day while he was playing with this glove, the wolf got a bug in his rear and took off after the Jack Russel. DF says that he thought the wolf was going to kill the Jack, and started to call him back. Instead of going after the Jack, he went after the glove. He grabbed the glove and took off around the yard at a dead run with the Jack flying in the breeze with him. He says it was the funniest thing he had ever seen.

Wait...so the Jack was still attached to the glove that was in the wolf's mouth?  That's hilarious! 

Dr. F.

« Reply #100 on: February 06, 2013, 09:36:19 PM »

I just spent some time trying to figure out how a wolf and a Jack Russel managed to mate. Then I figured out what you actually meant, and died laughing at the mental image.

mmswm

« Reply #101 on: February 06, 2013, 09:42:09 PM »

Oh, my goodness!  That's hysterical!
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #102 on: February 07, 2013, 10:57:52 AM »
Two people in my neighborhood have white wolves as pets.  I don't know if they know each other, but I'd love for those wolves to be a male and a female.  They're gorgeous.

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #103 on: February 07, 2013, 02:34:15 PM »
Two people in my neighborhood have white wolves as pets.  I don't know if they know each other, but I'd love for those wolves to be a male and a female.  They're gorgeous.

Are you sure they're actually wolves?  We had a Samoyed (breed of dog) and people were always asking us if she was a white (or arctic) wolf.  Eventually we went to Alaska and saw a real white wolf there in the wild and it really did look exactly like our dog! 

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #104 on: February 08, 2013, 08:07:06 AM »
These two are too large to be Samoyeds and the teeth are definitely wolfish.  A former neighbor had a timberwolf as a pet and he had the same teeth.  Beautiful animal and he behaved exactly like a dog.  His one unfortunate habit was to howl unpredictably.