Author Topic: Cute Pet Stories  (Read 26397 times)

Kimblee

• I look good in white....
  • Super Hero!
  • "Hugs don't go Boom." "They don't? Since when?"
    • My Blog
Re: Cute Pet Stories
« Reply #105 on: February 08, 2013, 09:22:29 PM »
These two are too large to be Samoyeds and the teeth are definitely wolfish.  A former neighbor had a timberwolf as a pet and he had the same teeth.  Beautiful animal and he behaved exactly like a dog.  His one unfortunate habit was to howl unpredictably.

My friend has a crossbreed between a german sheppard/border collie and a.... something. The owner saw a coyote "in position" and assumed the pups would be, since that was the only "dog" in the area, but some of the puppies got much bigger than any coyote.

Friend kept seeing one of the at the time grown puppies laying on her porch waiting for her daughters to come home from school (at which point he would chase their tennis balls until the girls went inside for whatever reason.) For Xmas (with Friend's say so) the neighbor gave the dog to Friend's daughters.

It looks like a large coyote. It does not look even slightly like a dog. If you saw him you would say "Holy Carp in a pond! Coyote!" (which is why he has a lovely and very thick neon orange harness) The only time he looks like a dog?

When he herds friend's chickens/goats/cows/kids towards the nearest appropriate area. Also he can herd drunks. But he tries to herd them into the garage for whatever reason. He is a very good sheepdog, which is funnier if you know that no member of Friend's family actually knows how to train a sheepdog, nor does the neighbor who gave the animal to them. But if you whistle he will herd the nearest group of available animals towards you, or if its a drunk, towards the garage.

Oh, and if you scream at "his" girls or make them cry he will take you down. He has never drawn blood, but he snarls and growls in a manner that leaves no doubt that you need to stay the [blank] away from "his" girls. (He's done this twice. Once to a diffrent neighbor who was cussing at the girls about someting between him and their parents, and one to a drunk uncle who was trying to pull off the older girl's necklace playfully. Dog does not understand playing apparently. And it turns out as long as he does this on my friend's property, the neighbor cannot do a darn thing about it, because the dog is guarding "his" property.)

Last story about Dog, I promise. He is in love with my friend's sheltie and her chihuahua and lets them climb all over him. He also for some reason pukes in front of the chihuahua randomly.

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #106 on: February 08, 2013, 09:36:42 PM »
...   He is in love with my friend's sheltie and her chihuahua and lets them climb all over him. He also for some reason pukes in front of the chihuahua randomly.

LOL!  Maybe he thinks the poor chihuahua is so tiny because it doesn't get enough food, so he's generously offering it some of his -- predigested to make it easier  ...   and warm!   ;D

Kimblee

• Super Hero!
    • My Blog
« Reply #107 on: February 08, 2013, 09:38:23 PM »
...   He is in love with my friend's sheltie and her chihuahua and lets them climb all over him. He also for some reason pukes in front of the chihuahua randomly.

LOL!  Maybe he thinks the poor chihuahua is so tiny because it doesn't get enough food, so he's generously offering it some of his -- predigested to make it easier  ...   and warm!   ;D

That could be. He's a weird animal, but he's VERY pretty.

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #108 on: February 08, 2013, 09:40:18 PM »

That could be. He's a weird animal, but he's VERY pretty.

His name isn't Stan by any chance...or hers Wendy?
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

mmswm

« Reply #109 on: February 08, 2013, 10:15:17 PM »

There might be something to that.  lol. :)
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
« Reply #110 on: February 08, 2013, 10:33:42 PM »
I was lying in bed, watching TV on my laptop (which means I was nearly flat on my back with the laptop on my chest (I'm near-sighted and didn't have on my glasses)) when Colossus barged into the bedroom and waltzed right up to my side of the bed only to lean against it.  Leaning = pet me now!  He even leans on my legs when I'm standing upright (I try not to stand still in my uniform so he doesn't have a chance to get it all furry before I got to work).  I had a free arm, so I started to pet him, but as my focus narrowed in on what I was watching, my hand grew still.  Cue the big doofus turning around and resting his chin on my elbow.  I petted him then left off again, only for him to turn once again to rest his chin on my elbow and stare at me.  I did it one more time just to see how long he would leave his chin on my elbow.  Turns out he is a very patient dog: 3 minutes 24 seconds.  I think the only reason he stopped was because the Eagle walked in the room.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

wonderfullyanonymous

« Reply #111 on: February 08, 2013, 11:35:27 PM »
Many years ago, before I knew him, DF had a Jack Russel and a wolf hybrid. The Jack Russel had a leather glove that he loved to play with, and one day while he was playing with this glove, the wolf got a bug in his rear and took off after the Jack Russel. DF says that he thought the wolf was going to kill the Jack, and started to call him back. Instead of going after the Jack, he went after the glove. He grabbed the glove and took off around the yard at a dead run with the Jack flying in the breeze with him. He says it was the funniest thing he had ever seen.

Wait...so the Jack was still attached to the glove that was in the wolf's mouth?  That's hilarious!

Yes, Jack had a firm grip on that glove and was literally flying with the wolf running around the yard.

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
« Reply #112 on: February 09, 2013, 06:25:07 AM »
That's awesome!  ;D

Lillie82

« Reply #113 on: February 09, 2013, 02:49:17 PM »
Not sure if this really counts as a "pet" story, but it was funny at the time, though probably it did help to be there:

We were at a training class where there were many dogs of different breeds.

Head trainer (talking to assistant): I need you to help me with the bull mastiff.

(Beat)

Assistant: I don't think so.

(Maybe I find it funny because I'm reminded of "I don't think so, Tim" which Al on Home Improvement) says when Tim asks for help with something dangerous. Though I don't know why the assistant was so intimidated by the mastiff.)

mmswm

« Reply #114 on: February 09, 2013, 03:01:07 PM »
Not sure if this really counts as a "pet" story, but it was funny at the time, though probably it did help to be there:

Head trainer (talking to assistant): I need you to help me with the bull mastiff.

(Beat)

(Maybe I find it funny because I'm reminded of "I don't think so, Tim" which Al on Home Improvement) says when Tim asks for help with something dangerous. Though I don't know why the assistant was so intimidated by the mastiff.)

Awwww.  Poor maligned mastiff :(  As a mastiff owner, I do find the story humorous since I've seen the way people react to his sheer size.  Nevermind that he's just a big, doofy, oaf who thinks the whole world loves him and wants to play with him.  Well, almost.  If he thinks you're a threat to my boys, then his entire demeanor changes before you can blink, but barring that, he's a sweetie.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

Kimblee

• Super Hero!
    • My Blog
« Reply #115 on: February 09, 2013, 03:30:35 PM »

(Beat)

Awwww.  Poor maligned mastiff :(  As a mastiff owner, I do find the story humorous since I've seen the way people react to his sheer size.  Nevermind that he's just a big, doofy, oaf who thinks the whole world loves him and wants to play with him.  Well, almost.  If he thinks you're a threat to my boys, then his entire demeanor changes before you can blink, but barring that, he's a sweetie.

Great danes are like that too. My mom couldn't even spank me if my childhood dog Essie was in the room. Essie never actually bit but she'd grab Mom's hand and hold it in her jaws.

And the family loves to tell the story of a neighborhood kid coming over to play and when it was time to go home his dad came to get him. Essie wouldn't allow him near his own son. She never growled, never barked but any move he made she put herself between Kid and Kid'sDad.

Kid'sDad (after my parent came out and held her collar so he could get his son back) remarked that he felt safe having his son come over to play, since Essie was there to keep the kids safe.

When I was a toddler she wouldn't let me leave the yard. If I got to close to the fence she'd grab my diaper and drag me away from thew fence, no matter how I howled for her to "lemme go!"

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #116 on: February 09, 2013, 05:03:27 PM »
Where I used to work, there was a woman who had a German shepherd.  Because she worked some nights and weekends by herself, she was allowed to bring the dog in to work with her.  Once she had a daughter, she'd come in to work early on Saturday then her husband would bring the daughter in later and they'd have breakfast together.

I often had to pop in to do stuff on weekends so I'd come in and chat a bit.  When the little one was a toddler, I crouched down to talk to her.  Suddenly, there was a very large dog between me and the little one.  No growl, no bark, no nothing; just a big, physical barrier.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

mmswm

« Reply #117 on: February 09, 2013, 05:21:36 PM »
Baxter does something similar when it comes to visitors and the kids.  Actually, he's very protective of my mother as well.  Her health is not good.  In the last year she's had surgery on her neck, spine and ankle, and as soon as her doctor clears her from the most recent surgery, she's having her knee replaced.  I think he senses that she's "weak" and he's decided it's his duty to protect her along with the little ones. I'm still working with him on his training, so for now, if we have guests, I have to put him on a leash and keep him by me or he flat out will not let guests into the house.

mmswm

« Reply #118 on: February 09, 2013, 06:50:26 PM »
This just happened and I had to share, but first I need to describe my parents' yard/driveway. 

Technically, my parents' address is 12345 A street, however, A street doesn't actually exist.  The driveway goes out to B street, which is the closest street that exists.  The house itself sits in the middle of the property.  If A street existed, the house would actually face away from the street, in the middle of the property.  The driveway is about 700 feet long and is a fair distance from the house itself.  There's a circle that splits off the driveway about 200 feet from the end and swings around to come near the garage on the west side of the house. If you saw it from the air it would look like a gigantic "P".   There's two parking areas off the circle. One that's big enough for 4 cars on the north side of the house, and another one on the northern end of the "P".  There's another little offshoot of the paved area about 75 feet south of the circle where we keep the outside trash cans.

So, the rule is that the children aren't allowed to go past the trash cans if they're outside without direct adult supervision.  There's plenty of paved driveway for them to ride bikes and skateboards in the area they're allowed in.  They're also allowed anywhere there's grass.  The long stretch of driveway past the trash cans can't be seen well from the house, as the shade houses from the commercial nursery obscure the view.

Apparently, Baxter has decided that this rule is too lenient.  I was on the pool deck chatting with my father and the kids were outside playing.  I watched Baxter repeatedly turn back the kids as soon as the got past the south side of the circle.  He was very quiet about it, but simply would not let them go past that point.  He'd let them in the grass, but not on the paved area past the circle.  I guess I really don't have to worry about the kids breaking the rules when the dog is outside!

BarensMom

« Reply #119 on: February 09, 2013, 08:22:08 PM »
When we decided to get another dog, DH and I went to the Milo Foundation's adoption fair on 4th Street in Berkeley on a Saturday.  After looking over all the available dogs, DH said the one to get was "Bradley," a shy English Shepherd.  We  made arrangements to come back the next day to collect Bradley (for some reason, we couldn't take him that day).

On Sunday, DH had to work, so I asked my mother to come along to pick up Bradley.  It was a warm day and my mother took a chair from the cafe and went to sit under a tree while we waited for the dogs to arrive.  The station wagon with the fostered dogs arrived, and the people started to let the dogs out.  Bradley escaped from the fosterers and ran directly to my mother and put his head in her lap.

And that is how Baren met his grandma.