Author Topic: Halloween party?  (Read 2161 times)

missmarple7

Halloween party?
« on: August 02, 2007, 11:08:19 AM »
Hi. Has anyone hosted a Halloween party for adults? I would love to have one. I'm thinking a costume contest with prizes and some cool food. But what else? Are there any good party games? Cool decorations? I was thinking of doing a "Guess the scary movie" game. I would have a prop out like a bottle of Chianti and a plate of liver and fava beans. Then they would have to guess it is Silence of the Lambs. I am also looking for a recipe for a spiked "witch's brew." Somehow you make the drink black and have gummy worms in it. I would love anyone's ideas.

Thanks!

Urbanfairy

Re: Halloween party?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2007, 12:12:13 PM »
With drinks, there are so many colours out there now it would all look pretty weird.
However, for a potent alcoholic drink, try this -
Vodka, Taboo, Blue Curacao, Orange juice and Lemonade
Its called a Juicy Lucy, and was the 'official' drink of my University, but I'm sure you could rename it something suitably spooky.
It is a fab colour..

Saki_Fiz

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2007, 06:30:03 PM »
I've had a small Halloween party a couple of years ago.  We had an Evil Dead/Army of Darkness marathon.  I made homemade Witch donuts (just homemade donuts that fry up in irregular shapes, PM me if you want the recipe) and we had warmed mead and hot spiced cider (good with rum in it).

Random thoughts:
-If pumpkin carving is too messy, you could always have a pumpkin painting contest and paint the faces on.
-Spaghetti and meatballs always strikes me as a good Halloween meal.
-You can usually buy holiday ice cube trays to make cool looking ice cubes with.
-I've seen pumpkin beer available around Halloween.
-I bet you can get some Halloween edition board games somewhere.

Suze

• I live in the real world. I play in the Middle Ages.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2007, 06:55:06 PM »
as far as drinks go - a friend once made something green (don't know just what was in it, but it had a lot of green liquer in it) served it in a clear bucket (he told me that it was hard to find and once he did find it, the thing went in the cupboard with the punch bowl)

dropped some dry ice and a few glow sticks in the bottom of the bucket.

called it a nuclear meltdown
Reality is for people who lack Imagination

Ohjustlovely

• Myspace
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2007, 07:26:55 PM »
There's a great alcoholic cocktail called Bloody Brain. It's delicious and easy to make, but to be effective someone will have to play bartender and make a bunch of individual ones in little shot glasses!  http://www.idrink.com/v.html?id=3590

And there's this nonalcoholic drink that's cook and disgusting: grey and clumpy, called Brain Cell Delighthttp://parentingteens.about.com/od/recipesforkids/r/kids_recipes74.htm
INGREDIENTS: 1 pk (6oz) blueberry jello mix ,1 ct (16oz) small curd cottage Cheese, 1 can (16 1/2oz) can blueberries in syrup

And for adult food, I think Chinese short ribs with extra BBQ sauce would be delicious and in the party theme, as well as other things. Stuffed button mushrooms can have a sign they are stuffed eyes, Little Smokies sausages in sauce are fingers.

Decorate the table with a black table cloth, fake tombstone, candles, etc. A florescent skeleton with a black light and strobe.

To make sure you don't have too much lulls when you dont' have music, have a  separate music system (boom box) with a recording of the spooky house (wind blowing, doors slamming, wolf howling, or creepy funeral organ music) on low it will be drowned out when you pay the other system.

And get the video "Chiller" by Michael Jackson.  You can see it performed on "13 Going on 30" (2004), if you want to keep Michael Jackson sort of out of your party.  Also the "Time Warp" from the "Rocky Horror "Picture Show" is crazy fun.

Summrs

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2007, 08:42:35 PM »
Bobbing for apples is still good, even for adults.  Also, my parents would play a game where two teams, lined up boy/girl/boy/girl would pass an orange (or a grapefruit) down the line using only their necks/chins... it gets pretty funny.

For any kind of punch you decide on, one thing you can do is fill some surgical gloves with water and put in some plastic spiders and other bugs.. and then freeze them.  When they're solid, peel off the glove and use the buggy ice hand in the punch bowl.

If you need some food ideas, how about these two?

Frightful Finger Food (makes about 5 dozen)

1 cup butter, softened
  1 cup icing sugar (powdered, or confectioner's, sugar)
  1 egg
  1 ts almond extract
  1 ts vanilla
  2 3/4 cups all purpose flour
  1 ts baking powder
  1 ts salt
  3/4 cup whole blanched almonds
  1 tube red decorator gel

Mix together butter, sugar, egg, almond extract and vanilla. Then, beat in the flour, baking powder and salt. Cover and refrigerate mixture for 30 minutes. Working with one-quarter of the dough at a time (the remaining dough should stay refrigerated), roll heaping teaspoons full of dough into finger shape for each cookie. Press almond firmly into one end for nail. Squeeze in center to create knuckle shape. Using a knife, make slashes to create knuckles.

Place on lightly greased cookie sheet in 325 oven for 20-25 minutes or until pale golden. Let finger cookies cool for three minutes. Lift up almond and squeeze red decorator gel onto nail bed and press almond back in place so gel oozes out from underneath. Repeat with remaining dough.
=======================

Igor's Bloodshot Eyeballs

4 packages Philly cream cheese
  2 jars small green olives stuffed w/pimentos
  Red liquid food coloring
  1 loaf of pumpernickel bread (or cocktail bread slices)

Make each eyeball with one tablespoon of cream cheese. Then insert a green olive, pimento side up, into the ball. Press firmly so it causes the cheese to crack around olive. Then dip a toothpick into red food coloring and let a drop fall into cracks of the cream cheese. Allow the food coloring to spread so that it creates 'blood vessels.' Serve Igor's bloodshot eyeballs on a bed of crumbled dark bread, or individually on slices of cocktail bread.

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2007, 08:55:25 PM »
Bloody Maries and other similar drinks.

There are party stores that sell plastic glasses that are decorated with spiders or bats on the outside:

http://www.newyorkcostumes.com/istar.asp?a=6&id=8293!15

There are others that look like they have blood in them, but you need to check your local party store.  Mine is already putting out Halloween stuff.

If I had the house I wish I had now I'd be having a few rooms set up themed for vampires, werewolves, etc. with a big caldron with dry ice.  Lots of glow-in-the-dark spider web thingies, too.

I love Halloween.

wendybird

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2007, 09:08:13 PM »
one of my favorite things is to put a movie on that matches the theme, in your case perhaps an old bela lugosi movie, and i mute the tv completely, so it just adds to the atmosphere.

i saw this in a dance club once and i do it for a lot of parties- it's been a big hit.

afbluebelle

• Super Hero!
  • Saving the world one squirrelbot at a time
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2007, 11:45:39 PM »
Put dry ice in the toilet, just be sure to warn the guests!
My inner (r-word) is having a field day with this one.
-Love is Evol: Christopher Titus-

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2007, 11:59:35 PM »
I had a Halloween party once, and I had a little motion detector witch statue on the bathroom sink who cackled most evilly.  I had planned on putting it on the back of the toilet, but that was deemed too evil.

Please don't do what some friends did and cook eggs for deviled eggs in beet juice.  Yes, it makes them a yucky red color, but it also makes them taste bad. 

Angel hair or stretched out cotton balls makes great 'cobwebs' 

Suze

• I live in the real world. I play in the Middle Ages.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2007, 05:36:21 AM »
If you take your hardboiled eggs and crack the shells all over (don't peel yet) and soak them in "easter egg dye"  you can get a spiderweb apperance with them. 

A lot of the liquid food dyes from the grocery store has how to dye eggs on the box.  They shouldn't taste bad that way.  Don't forget to put a slice of olive on the top for an eyeball, In fact you might want to slice the egg the "other way" so that they are round.

Orential Trading company - Rhode Island Novelity - Kipp brothers are all good places for odds and ends of party "junk"

Reality is for people who lack Imagination

Urbanfairy

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2007, 05:44:46 AM »
for one Halloween party, I got white A4 paper, and cut out ghost shapes, drew large black eyes on them and stuck them all over the place.
You could also do skulls if you are feeling arty.

Scritzy

• Please do not adjust your set.
  • Super Hero!
  • Passing through the iris of the world ...
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2007, 12:46:32 PM »
You could always make garlic necklaces for everyone to ward off the vampires (make sure someone comes as a vampire).

They don't even have to be real. I've seen plastic garlic at places where they sell fake fruit and vegetables.
Dragons

SC
It will pass. Or not.

Real Live Mermaids!

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2007, 04:30:14 PM »
Surprisingly enough, Martha Stewart Living magazine always has excellent Halloween recipes and decorating ideas.  You can probably find back issues at your local library.  I believe she may have a book out with the best ideas in as well.

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2007, 11:09:32 AM »
if you - or someone close to you - is computer savvy, you might put together a little mix of clips from scary movies. have that going on in the background. OR that could be a game (guess the movie). also if you could get hold of the really old scary movies - they are really cool!!

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools