Author Topic: Clothes lines  (Read 21111 times)

JoW

Re: Clothes lines
« Reply #105 on: August 19, 2012, 04:39:22 PM »
Cleaners here are like kherbert05 has.  There are dry cleaners that also water wash things and are fairly expensive, but worth it if someone in your house wears shirts that are pressed and starched after each wearing.  I drive past 2 to get to the nearest laundromat. 

At a laundromat you do all the work yourself, paying by feeding coins into the machine.  They tend to be hot, damp, and sort of sleazy.  I know of one wash-pub in town like squeakers described - a laundromat attached to bar so you can drink a beer while doing your laundry.  I drive past it a couple times each year but have never been inside. 

Right now I have one load of laundry in the washer in my basement, another drying on folding racks on the deck behind the house. 

greencat

« Reply #106 on: August 19, 2012, 04:42:59 PM »
I kind of want to open up one of those Duds & Suds places...

magicdomino

« Reply #107 on: August 19, 2012, 06:07:09 PM »
And now the downside of having a clothesline.  Last night's weather report said maybe a shower in the evening, but otherwise dry and partly cloudy.  The sky looked a little dubious to me this morning, so I checked the weather report in the newspaper:  same thing.  I washed and hung out some kitchen towels, washcloths, and napkins.  They just got a second rinsing.   :-\

JoW

« Reply #108 on: August 19, 2012, 06:17:22 PM »
And now the downside of having a clothesline.  .....
Thats why I use portable folding racks.  When rain threatens I grab them and bring them inside.  Unfortunately that doesn't help if the rain starts while you are away from home.  My jeans got a second rinse last Friday while I was at work. 

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #109 on: August 19, 2012, 07:27:03 PM »
Here's a minor thread-jack that I hope will give readers a smile.

In the late 1940s, it was the fashion among women of my Mother's age, time and place to wear Juliet Caps.  These were rather like beanies.  They were crocheted from white cotton thread and worn on the back of the head.

Mom had made several for herself and one day, she had a freshly laundered one hanging in the back yard. 

Dad came home from work on that breezy spring day and observed the laundry on the line.  according to Mom, he seemed a bit concerned when he advised her that, 'Half of your brassiere blew away'.  :D

Back to our regularly scheduled thread.       

dawnfire

« Reply #110 on: August 21, 2012, 05:33:43 AM »
I kind of want to open up one of those Duds & Suds places...

Those type of thing were trendy here (well in Melbourne) in the 90's mainly in inner city suburbs. They were attached to coffee shops. Well you look at it, your stuck there a minimum of an hour, eating is a good way to while away the time.