Author Topic: City "titles"  (Read 26309 times)

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
City "titles"
« on: March 03, 2012, 10:26:44 AM »
Was thinking about this today - does your hometown lay claim to any particular title?  I grew up in "The River City," which is a laugh because it was a small town and certainly not the only place with a river, but we were 45 minutes from "The Toilet Paper Capitol of the World" which I suspect is a distinction much less frequently claimed :P

I now live in "Rocket City, USA" - logical, because we have a big NASA presence here.  All the schools are also named after various space missions (Discover, Challenger, Endeavor, etc).

BabylonSister

• Shake it!
Re: City "titles"
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2012, 10:34:01 AM »
I used to live in "the petunia capital of the world".

jmarvellous

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2012, 10:38:36 AM »
I live in "The Live Music Capital of the World."

There are other nicknames but that's the most common one. And an overly boastful one, at that -- except in about two weeks!

I'm from Motown/The Motor City and The Bayou City/H-Town.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2012, 10:51:59 AM »
Not a city but a state.  New York is nicknamed the 'Empire State'.  This has led to a lot of confusion.  My FIL once said the NY could no longer use that nickname because other states had a larger population.  Bill Bryson wondered if NYS had overseas territories. 

Neither of these are true.  NY is the Empire State because of the Erie Canal.  In the early days of the USA, the region west of the eastern mountains was called the Inland Empire.  Before the Erie Canal, getting there was long and dangerous.  The canal made settlement much easier.  That is why NYS is called the Empire State. 

camlan

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2012, 11:04:16 AM »
Boston has a lot of nicknames, perhaps because it's an older city.

Beantown
Athens of America
The Hub (of the Solar System) (there used to be a large bronze medallion in the street at an intersection in downtown Boston, just off the Common, proclaiming this)
The City on a Hill
The Cradle of Liberty
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

Nibsey

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2012, 11:32:16 AM »
Well less so city titles than county titles;

So Dublin is: The big Schmoke, The Pale
Galway: City of the tribes
Limerick: Stab city, Treaty city
Cork: The rebel county
Kilkenny: The marble city
Waterford: The crystal county
Louth: The wee county
Kerry: The kingdom
My favourite is probably Mayo: 'Mayo, God help us'

Dublin doesn't have that many nicknames considering it's the capital. I suspose Dublinners prefer to nickname their infrastructure and statues rather than the city itself.
“I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.”- Douglas Adams
Éire (Ireland)

drebay

• drebay does not stand for Dr Ebay!
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2012, 12:45:20 PM »
I live in the "Rose City" and we even have a Rose Parade.  Also two Rose Gardens, one that is filled with Roses, and one that we fill with fans of basketball, hockey, music and monster trucks.

T'Mar of Vulcan

• the lost city of Atlantis, the planet Tencton and the moon Pandora!
  • Super Hero!
  • Star Trek will always rule
    • The Flag Waver
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2012, 01:01:29 PM »
Johannesburg is known as "the City of Gold" because its location is solely due to the gold mining industry. The Zulu nickname, Egoli (which means city of gold) was used as the title of a soap opera set here. The province it's in, Gauteng, means "place of gold" in Sotho.

Most English-speaking people call it Joburg (previously Jo'Burg but officially the shortened version now has no apostrophe). Most black people call it Jozi.

I call it home.

The only Vulcan from South Africa! :)

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2012, 02:57:03 PM »
Toronto is often called "Big Smoke". Not that it has that much pollution - one pundit said it meant it had "a big reputation, not much to show for it - all smoke and no fire".

Mississauga, where I actually live, has no real nickname, except when people call it "Misterandmississauga".

On the far side of Toronto, there's Scarberia, I mean, Scarborough.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

GreenEyedHawk

• Not hot but SPICY
    • My Facebook.  Feel free to add me!
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2012, 03:02:32 PM »
I live in Edmonton, the City of Champions, which may have been true back in the 80s when some of hockey history's legendary great players were part of our team and the Oilers were an intimidating force to be reckoned with, but not so much now.

It's also sometimes called the Festival City, and if you've ever been in Edmonton in the summertime, you'd know why.
"After all this time?"
"Always."

Bethczar

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2012, 03:16:32 PM »
My home town, Milwaukee, is "Cream City", not for the dairy industry but for the color of the bricks in the older buildings. The native clay produces cream-colored bricks. It is also know as "The City of Gemutlicheit" for it's German heritage, and the "The City of Festivals" for the ethnic festivals and Summerfest held on the lakefront.

Hollanda

• Believe in yourself.
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2012, 03:20:06 PM »
Not sure whether this counts, but Nottingham's tagline on Trent FM (now Capital FM) used to be "The World's Best City".

Jo and Twiggy - possibly the most annoying (but funny) breakfast show presenters EVER. :( I miss them!!
Knowledge is knowing tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Danismom

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2012, 03:53:54 PM »
I used to live in Big D and before that I lived in the Metroplex.

baglady

• A big lass and a bonny lass and she loves her beer
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2012, 04:45:34 PM »
I live near Saratoga Springs, N.Y., aka the Spa City (for the mineral springs) and the Racing City (for the track).

Also in this area: Collar City (Troy), Rug City (Amsterdam), Glove Cities (Gloversville and Johnstown) and Electric City (Schenectady), all named after what used to be their biggest industries. Troy also is proud of being the home of the real Uncle Sam.

I'm in Schuylerville, which used to be Old Saratoga, and every other business in the village is Old (or Olde) Saratoga Somethingorother. (There was a campaign to change the name back to Old Saratoga a few years ago, but it failed.) It's also known as the Turning Point (as in turning point of the American Revolution, because the Battle of Saratoga was fought here).

Then there are the less flattering names: Smallbany, Skankectady, Troylet, Amsterico (that last is because Amsterdam has a large Hispanic population. Hispanics were the last wave of immigrants to move there to work in the carpet mills before they closed).

The town I grew up in, Nashua, N.H., was the Gate City, because it was right on the Massachusetts border.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 06:56:59 PM by baglady »
My photography is on Redbubble! Come see: http://www.redbubble.com/people/baglady

readingchick

• Trivia Buff
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2012, 06:40:23 PM »
My hometown is known as The Orthopaedic Capitol of the World, also known as Lake City (there are three lakes in the city limits).