Author Topic: City "titles"  (Read 26432 times)

Gumbysqueak

Re: City "titles"
« Reply #45 on: March 06, 2012, 05:49:34 PM »
Mile high = Denver, Colorado. The city is a mile above the ocean.

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #46 on: March 06, 2012, 06:49:52 PM »

Apparently Atlantic City, NJ is called “Vegas of the East” and the motto is “Always turned on.” I grew up near AC and never heard either of them before. It’s just AC.

It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

iridaceae

• Boring in real life as well
« Reply #47 on: March 07, 2012, 06:02:17 AM »
My old hometown (Madison, WI) has been called Mad Town or Mad City.  A former governor of Wisconsin once called it "78 square miles surrounded by reality".  Which is not that inaccurate.
As a current resident, I can assure you it is still true.

Heh. I so believe that.

I read a New Yorker article recently where the writer went to Madison and the state to talk about the Walker recall election. I get the distinct impression that the anti-Walker banner in the Capital Building reading "It's Not Nice" baffled the writer no end, as it was described as being pure Wisconsin or something like that.  I just nodded, laughed, and said "that is so Wisconsin". (Only in Wisconsin and possibly Minnesota would that be seen as a stinging criticism.)

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #48 on: March 07, 2012, 07:17:34 AM »
i don't think we have an "official" title - but i live in jerusalem which is the/a holy city, holy city to the three major monotheistic religions, etc.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Bethczar

« Reply #49 on: March 07, 2012, 09:36:40 AM »
My old hometown (Madison, WI) has been called Mad Town or Mad City.  A former governor of Wisconsin once called it "78 square miles surrounded by reality".  Which is not that inaccurate.

Heh. I so believe that.

I read a New Yorker article recently where the writer went to Madison and the state to talk about the Walker recall election. I get the distinct impression that the anti-Walker banner in the Capital Building reading "It's Not Nice" baffled the writer no end, as it was described as being pure Wisconsin or something like that.  I just nodded, laughed, and said "that is so Wisconsin". (Only in Wisconsin and possibly Minnesota would that be seen as a stinging criticism.)
Oh, I don't know. It would be pretty harsh in Iowa, too.  :P

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #50 on: March 07, 2012, 10:11:23 AM »

We have relatives who live in Madison and have visited often.  One of our prized possessions is a mug with the legend, 'Madison.  an alternative to reality'.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #51 on: March 07, 2012, 10:44:21 AM »
Across the East River in NYC from south to north there are three iconic bridges.  These are the Brooklyn, the Manhattan and the Williamsburg bridges.

Visitors who took a bus tour were told that locals refer to the trio as the BMW.  Mr. Thipu and I have lived in the area all our lives and in NYC for about 40 years.  We have never heard the bridges referred to in this way. 

However, because the first is so elegant and the second is so gawky, the Brooklyn and Manhattan bridges have been called, 'Beauty and the Beast'. [/img]
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 12:50:31 PM by Thipu1 »

2littlemonkeys

« Reply #52 on: March 07, 2012, 12:03:26 PM »
Chicago has a few.

The Second City - kind of a put down in a New Yorker article but it stuck.

You can't believe everything you read in The New Yorker. It's the Second City because the first one burned down.

That's what I'd previously thought but the New Yorker thing was in some Wiki article I read later.  That's what I get for trusting Wiki implicitly, LOL

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #53 on: March 07, 2012, 01:57:39 PM »
Across the East River in NYC from south to north there are three iconic bridges.  These are the Brooklyn, the Manhattan and the Williamsburg bridges.

Visitors who took a bus tour were told that locals refer to the trio as the BMW.  Mr. Thipu and I have lived in the area all our lives and in NYC for about 40 years.  We have never heard the bridges referred to in this way. 

However, because the first is so elegant and the second is so gawky, the Brooklyn and Manhattan bridges have been called, 'Beauty and the Beast'. [/img]

Lifelong NYer and I've never heard of the bridges being called "BMW" either.

CorrieFan

« Reply #54 on: March 08, 2012, 06:01:06 PM »
I'm in Saskatoon, SK in Canada, and there are a few nicknames for my city:

City of Bridges or Bridge City (we have 7 so far, and currently building #8)
Toontown
Saskabush
Paris of the Prairies ( I like this one!)
Hub City ( not used so much anymore)

The one I like the most in the province is the small city of Swift Current, which we call Speedy Creek!

marcel

« Reply #55 on: March 08, 2012, 06:15:02 PM »

That doesn't even come close to a lot of bridges.
Wherever you go..... There you are.

MERUNCC13

• A proud member of the Niner Nation!
« Reply #56 on: March 08, 2012, 06:53:42 PM »
Chiming in from the Southeast United States, I live in the "Queen City of the South" (Charlotte) named for the wife of King George III (brown-nosing 18th century style!) which is in the "Tar Heel" state (North Carolina), which has several versions of why we got that nickname.  The best known comes from the Revolution when shipbuilders used pine tar to slow down the British advance in the eastern part of the state - I'm not sure that is all true but it's the one that I give people who ask.
 ;)
Life likes to be taken by the hand and told, I'm with you, let's go! Maya Angelou

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #57 on: March 08, 2012, 10:09:07 PM »
I live in "The Model City," called so not on account of how it was planned, but because the government was supposed to be a model to all other cities, who at the time were so corrupt, apparently.  :o That was...interesting to find out.
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

CorrieFan

« Reply #58 on: March 08, 2012, 10:44:08 PM »

That doesn't even come close to a lot of bridges.
[/quote

Probably not in comparison to many other cities, but at a quarter of a million people this is the biggest city in the province. The province itself only has a population of just over one million people, and is big enough to fit several European countries in it! Population density is low.

As they say, it's all relative. I'm pretty sure no other city in my province has even half the number of bridges we do, hence the title.
]

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #59 on: March 09, 2012, 12:31:00 AM »
Tucson is called The Old Pueblo, though I'm not exactly sure why.

I visited Madison in 1993 or so; i liked it there. The friends i was visiting said their apartment was considered to be in the bad part of town, but their apartment was so nice and their friends i met were interesting in a good way, and friendly.
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem