Author Topic: City "titles"  (Read 24743 times)

mrs_deb

• I didn't expect THAT to happen!
Re: City "titles"
« Reply #75 on: May 03, 2012, 01:55:05 PM »
The nearest Big City to us is nicknamed "The Queen City", altho the locals tend to call it "Manch-vegas". 

AmethystAnne

• mom, grandmother, and an enthusaistic knitter & crocheter (formerly Laura___)
  • So much yarn, not nearly enough time! :D
« Reply #76 on: May 08, 2012, 05:29:04 PM »
Hello, from the Bluegrass State and specifically, the hometown of the Kentucky Headhunters and Black Stone Cherry

I live in the "Biggest Small Town in New Jersey."

And since I may be moving to that fine state (the property taxes are no match for the combined bridge tolls and extra gas that M uses to get to the new job), I had to go and look that up.   ;D

I had to, too; i was (incorrectly) guessing Vineland.

I had to look it up too. Some of my cousins used to live near there. I had made a wrong guess too - Flemington.

Charliebug

« Reply #77 on: May 31, 2012, 11:41:13 PM »
I have heard Windsor, ON is also referred to as "Detroit of the North"....not sure if that is true or just what some locals have coined it?

Some places I have lived:

Calgary, AB is also known as Cowtown.
Vancouver, BC is also known as Hongcouver (for its high immigrant population from Asian countries.)

AustenFan

« Reply #78 on: June 01, 2012, 12:03:33 AM »
I have heard Windsor, ON is also referred to as "Detroit of the North"....not sure if that is true or just what some locals have coined it?

Some places I have lived:

Calgary, AB is also known as Cowtown.
Vancouver, BC is also known as Hongcouver (for its high immigrant population from Asian countries.)

Calgary (pronounced Calgree) is also known as Texas North due to our oil dependent economy.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 12:08:09 AM by AustenFan »

GreenEyedHawk

• Not hot but SPICY
    • My Facebook.  Feel free to add me!
« Reply #79 on: June 02, 2012, 12:05:24 PM »
AustenFan:  Here in Edmonton, we call it Cowgree.
"After all this time?"
"Always."

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #80 on: June 02, 2012, 03:33:53 PM »
AustenFan:  Here in Edmonton, we call it Cowgree.

My dad, who was born in Toronto in 1920, said they called it "cow town" when he was a boy. It sure isn't that now!

Alboury

• Evil Iggy
  • Nemo me impune definit.
« Reply #81 on: July 25, 2012, 07:11:59 AM »
Finland sort of looks like a person and so my unfairly unpopular town is called by some "the bottom of Finland," usually with cruder language. 

I grew up in "Athens of Finland" (for culture and education) and lived near "Chicago of Finland" (people assume it was because of crime rates but actually was because of the rate population grew or something).

Well, I live in the traditional rival city, then - the Manchester of Finland, the Brick City, the Red City, Nääsville (1).
I spent good chunks of my childhood in the town that steals the j's (2), or around the World's Navel, the Kalakukko City (3).
The town I grew up in (Hämeenlinna) hasn't a nickname as a whole, but it's centre is called Finland's largest lit cemetery.

(1): the city of Tampere. The centre of Nordic heavy industry in the 18th and 19th centuries, lots of red brick and huge old factories - thus the Manchester of Finland, shortened Manse. In the 1970's and 1980's the Finnish rock and punk scene coiled around the city and the nickname was further justified. The Brick City is simply because of the vast amount of red brick. The Red City has to do with red brick as well, but it also stands for the Red Declaration (for workers' rights) read there in 1905, and the city being the headquarters of the Reds, the defeated side in the Finnish civil war. Nääsville is a play on Nashville, because of the constant occurrence of  the phrase "nääs" ("you see") in local speech which sounds just like a prolonged "Nash" with an ordinary s.

(2): Kajaani, which would be pronounced similar to "Kah-yaa-knee", but the dialect spoken there stresses the "yaa" part, so it's regularly transcripted as "Kajjaani", sometimes with three j's. Thus, no other cities in the northern parts of Finland may be pronounced with an additional "j" (some dialects tend to do Joensuu - Jojensuu), as Kajjaani steals all the j's in the north.

(3): Kuopio, the capital of Upper Savonia region. Locals ironically, and just to frustrate non-Savonians, call it the World's Navel - it's relatively big for a Finnish city, and located in what used to be the middle of nowhere, and still is to some extent. The kalakukko is a traditional Savonian dish (little fish and bacon baked inside a rye pouch), and both of the most remarkable bakeries providing those are located in Kuopio.

It's kinda funny, though, that no more nicknames for Kuopio exist, since it's deep in the Savonian culture to never refer to things with their actual names. Countless euphemisms and nicknames are invented instead - sometimes to the point of losing the original name. For example, there is a monument in the city that has two flattish, narrow metal slabs pointing upwards, connected at their lower ends. The actual name of the monument is a complete mystery, everybody has called it The Frozen Longjohns for decades now.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 07:59:43 AM by Alboury »
Row, row, row thy boat gently down the stream.
Oh Charon, hast thou ever know'd that Death is but a dream?"

Redsoil

« Reply #82 on: July 25, 2012, 07:17:47 AM »
I grew up in an area of NSW known as "The Start of the Outback".  I now live in another area that is famous for "The Black Soil Plains".
Look out... 
It's one of the Aussie Contingent!

CLE_Girl

« Reply #83 on: July 25, 2012, 09:08:39 AM »

I grew up in Chicago - aka: Chi-town, the Windy City, second city, the city of big shoulders, The Big Onion

I currently live in Cleveland - aka: The mistake by the Lake, C-town, The Rock 'n' Roll Capital of the World

ShanghaiJill

« Reply #84 on: July 25, 2012, 10:37:28 AM »
The City Of Homes, although people call it The City of Homies. ;)

oz diva

• The Classics are SO last Century
« Reply #85 on: August 19, 2012, 01:23:21 AM »
How about World's Most Liveable City? Melbourne is usually in the top three.

Victoria

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #86 on: August 19, 2012, 10:48:56 AM »
Congratulations to Melbourne!   :D. Where can we find the list?

A few years ago, Madison WI was judged the best place to live in the USA.  We have family there.

Last year,  Park Slope was selected as the best neighborhood in NYC. We live there so we can share bragging rights. 

oz diva

• The Classics are SO last Century
« Reply #87 on: August 20, 2012, 09:05:34 AM »

Victoria

JonGirl

• I'm a JonGirl forever.
    • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBAa6CvY-TQ
« Reply #88 on: August 21, 2012, 06:43:43 AM »
How about World's Most Liveable City? Melbourne is usually in the top three.

I seriously can't work out why.
I've lived here all my life and all I can see is bad public transport, worse weather and City violence.
Maybe I'm getting old.  :)   :-\
Stewart/Colbert '16

TheaterDiva1

« Reply #89 on: August 21, 2012, 07:33:49 AM »
I went to high school right outside Hartford, CT - "The Insurance Capital Of The World."

Connecticut itself is "The Nutmeg State" - don't know why.