Author Topic: Is it rude to delete posts from a threadjacker?  (Read 3562 times)

Hollanda

• Believe in yourself.
Re: Is it rude to delete posts from a threadjacker?
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2012, 02:11:50 PM »
What a GREAT topic!

I have grown so frustrated with my Facebook. I used to share witty, funny statuses (not too often, I wasnt the oversharer type!) and would upload comical, cutesy mobile pictures once in a while. Then a few guy friends of mine, whom are actually GREAT close friends for a LONG time now, started ''hijacking'' every single status or post I'd share on my wall. A recent example of this -- I wrote something about how fun it was to share photos on Instagram and how different it was from all those ''social media'' apps. Im a shutterbug and I love following great photographers and having a chance to update a photoblog that is exclusive to CELLPHONES vs. being on the web and a hassle to maintain. My status was informative and short.

One of said friends wrote a HUGE paragraph in reply to my status about how FUNNY it was that there was YET another app where we could SHARE, FOLLOW and be FOLLOWED and he proceeded to list 30 something apps where we can ''connect'' with other people and he feels these are all ''stupid'' (yet, he's on Facebook?!) His tone was sarcastic and condescending. Surprisingly, it wasn't really even about ME, or my POST, he just felt he had to make a ''point'' and he does this quite often. I deleted my status. I was so mad.

I have friends on FB whom I admire, and I feel silly when I know they can read these pointless ''smarty pants'' replies on my wall!

I wish I could just unfriend these people!

I am in precisely this situation. A couple of people are being "smart" on my FB. I simply delete the comments and just get on with my life. Very tempted to PM them both and ask them to stop, but I don't think this would be a good idea. I'm keeping an eye on them and will delete them if it continues (PA remarks etc).
Time flies like an arrow.
Fruit flies like a banana.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2012, 02:37:57 PM »
What a GREAT topic!

I have grown so frustrated with my Facebook. I used to share witty, funny statuses (not too often, I wasnt the oversharer type!) and would upload comical, cutesy mobile pictures once in a while. Then a few guy friends of mine, whom are actually GREAT close friends for a LONG time now, started ''hijacking'' every single status or post I'd share on my wall. A recent example of this -- I wrote something about how fun it was to share photos on Instagram and how different it was from all those ''social media'' apps. Im a shutterbug and I love following great photographers and having a chance to update a photoblog that is exclusive to CELLPHONES vs. being on the web and a hassle to maintain. My status was informative and short.

One of said friends wrote a HUGE paragraph in reply to my status about how FUNNY it was that there was YET another app where we could SHARE, FOLLOW and be FOLLOWED and he proceeded to list 30 something apps where we can ''connect'' with other people and he feels these are all ''stupid'' (yet, he's on Facebook?!) His tone was sarcastic and condescending. Surprisingly, it wasn't really even about ME, or my POST, he just felt he had to make a ''point'' and he does this quite often. I deleted my status. I was so mad.

I have friends on FB whom I admire, and I feel silly when I know they can read these pointless ''smarty pants'' replies on my wall!

I'd just have to comment, "Great FACEBOOK post, Dude!  ;D".
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2012, 07:17:47 PM »

Don't delete your status--delete HIM.
And if you can't unfriend him (why not?), then you can certain filter him so that he can't see your Facebook statuses. Or can't respond.

Sweettooth

« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2012, 12:42:21 PM »
Rather than go to the trouble of having to delete her posts, why not just put her on limited profile.  That way, she won't be able to see your posts (and therefore won't be able to comment on them).

I would love (LOVE) to be able to do this with my mom; she has to make a comment on Every Single Thing I post on FB, and it drives me completely nuts. She's friends with a lot of my friends, so when she sees I've posted something on their wall she'll chime in too. Saying something about it would really hurt her feelings and I'm not willing to do that, and I think she'd figure it out if I put her on limited profile which would also hurt her feelings, so I just avoid FB.

weeblewobble

« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2012, 04:59:33 PM »
I do. Frequently.  If it's an inappropriate comment, I delete it.  A conversation with another commenter that has nothing to do with my post?  I delete it.  (ETA: It has to be way, waaaaay off-topic for me to do this.) If it's a threadjack, a mommy-jack, a woe-is-me-jack or similar?  I delete it.  It's my wall.  If they want to post this stuff on their own walls, they're more than welcome to.  If they whine and complain about my deletions or commit these annoying acts once too often, I delete them from my friends list.  I don't spend a lot of time on Facebook, I don't want to have to deal with people who need all attention on them at all times.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 05:01:43 PM by weeblewobble »