Author Topic: Adult party favors?  (Read 3357 times)

ShadesOfGrey

• Super Hero!
Adult party favors?
« on: March 04, 2012, 06:16:18 PM »
No that kind! >:D

I just moved to a new place, and I'm having a few people over for a casual mid-afternoon get together for no reason other than to get together and enjoy the locale (there's a famous local park  next to me).  One of my close friends always gives out, for lack of a better word, small favors at her parties. Nothing major - maybe some chocolates in a nicely decorated box, maybe a memento card/picture, or once even a small rock with a word/thought etched into it.

I'd like to do something similar, on a similar scale (small). I'll need 6-10 of whatever it is, and a few are gluten free.  I'm open to ideas - I know we have some great hosts on the board, crafters and such, and I thought I'd see if anyone has any ideas to share. 

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 06:49:54 PM by DigitalPumpkin46 »
Words mean more than what is set down on paper. It takes the human voice to infuse them with shades of deeper meaning. - Maya Angelou

I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel. - Maya Angelou

doodlemor

Re: Adult party favors?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2012, 06:42:49 PM »
I really like the idea of something to eat or drink. 

Do you like to bake?  How about several kinds of cookies with colored cellophane and ribbon.

If you have time to do it, there are many interesting liquer/cordial recipes online that are basically just infused vodka.  All you usually do is infuse the vodka for several weeks in the fridge, then strain it.  Sometimes sugar syrup is added, sometimes not. 

ShadesOfGrey

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2012, 06:50:56 PM »
thanks! Those are great ideas. I just edited the OP to reflect that several of the guests are gluten-free, but I bet I could find gf cookies or drinks... :)
Words mean more than what is set down on paper. It takes the human voice to infuse them with shades of deeper meaning. - Maya Angelou

I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel. - Maya Angelou

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2012, 06:55:32 PM »
I crochet and knit dishcloths - I've given those out before.

What about a little package of different flavours of tea?  Maybe with some royal icing decorated sugar cubes?  You can pipe some small flowers and then 'glue' them on the sugar cube.  I've also piped right on the cubes.

If you really want to get fancy, you can buy some tea cups cheap at a thrift store and put the tea in the cup and the sugar cubes around the saucer.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

FoxPaws

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2012, 07:00:43 PM »
If you're planning a stroll/hike through the park, you could use water bottles, souvenir maps, small bags of nuts or trail mix. I prefer consumables myself. Bric-a-brac tends to go into the donation box as soon as I get home.
I am so a lady. And if you say I'm not, I'll slug you. - Cindy Brady

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2012, 08:26:20 PM »
Remember that the packaging is 3/4 of the effect.

And I agree w/ the idea of something consumable or perhaps something particularly useful.

I suggest the Gripstic

http://www.gripstic.com/

audrey1962

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2012, 08:36:53 PM »
I have been given plant seeds, small herbs and small decorative planters. I've also been given the usual sweets, which I always enjoy. I was just trying to think of the more atypical gifts.

Kaypeep

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2012, 09:12:50 PM »
I just bought some of these to use as prizes, they aren't that expensive but aren't cheap either.  But they are unique and everyone loved them.
Fortune Keeper keychains, to keep the fortunes from fortune cookies.

http://stores.fortunekeeper.com/StoreFront.bok

SisJackson

• Wear Sunscreen!
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2012, 09:24:01 PM »
I went to a girls'-night-in a while back and the hostess gave out gifts to everyone - an assortment of gourmet salts in little jars.  There was a Himalayan pink salt, a smoked salt, and a fleur de sel.  Not only were they useful, they were really pretty to look at.  This reminds me that I should look into getting new salts; I really enjoyed using them while I had them.  From what I could tell she bought the salt and jars separately (in bulk) and then filled the jars herself, and then hand-labeled them.

QueenofAllThings

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2012, 07:14:53 AM »
A small potted daffodil or herbs - it's almost Spring!

Scented candle or soap

A pretty glass or dish, filled with M & Ms

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2012, 10:16:22 AM »
For Eunice's St Patrick's Day party I used to do little treat bags of chewing gum, mints, chocolates, and a $1 or $2 scratch-off lottery ticket.  Bags like this, but with shamrocks on them:

http://www.papermart.com/Product%20Pages/Product.aspx?GroupID=14802&SubGroupID=14803&ParentGroupID=18881#14803

Other items I have put in them have included things like corsages made of party-favor silk flower bunches, airline-size bottles of Bailey's Irish Cream, refrigerator magnets, Mardi Gras beads made of shamrocks, etc.

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2012, 06:43:52 PM »
Remember that the packaging is 3/4 of the effect.

And I agree w/ the idea of something consumable or perhaps something particularly useful.

I suggest the Gripstic

http://www.gripstic.com/

I waaaant one!  ;D

There you go . . . whatever you decide on put it in a decorative bag and seal it with a gripstic!

I like SisJackson's idea of the flavored salts.

Or what about a small bottle of good olive oil with the herbs added (is there a name for this?)

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2012, 06:55:40 PM »
How about a decorated shot glass, martini glass, or candle holder filled with treats and wrapped with cellophane and ribbon/flowers?  If price is a factor, those items can be found at the dollar store or Wal-Mart.

eta: It doesn't even have to be wrapped when it's super-casual.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 07:01:49 PM by rose red »

Isometric

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2012, 07:02:59 PM »
I vote for consumables too, there's something a bit spesh about home treats!

GF cookies, or truffles? I think many truffle recipes only have 2 or 3 ingredients, cream, chocolate cocoa? Wrapped in cellophane and pretty ribbon, the whole thing shouldn't take too long.

I also like the gourmet salts idea, I got some amazing ones in Hawaii that I have got so much use out of. The ingredients were pretty common. (Will have to go back to Hawaii to stock up  ;D)

MacadamiaNut

• These pretzels are making me thirsty.
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2012, 08:22:56 PM »
I like the idea of giving the gift of warm drinks.  Hot chocolate, teas, special coffees or whatever with a nice mug. It's nice that they will think of you when they drink it and then always have the mug to keep!  It's the best of both worlds  :)
Paperweights, for instance - has anyone ever established what, when, and why
paper has to be weighed down? ::) ~Don Aslett