Author Topic: Kim Kardashian's Ex Thinks She Should Give the Wedding Gifts Back  (Read 11599 times)

jimithing

• Super Hero!
  • Life Is Too Short to Wear a Bad Outfit!
According to TMZ: http://www.tmz.com/2012/03/05/kris-humphries-kim-kardashian-wedding-gifts-returned/

Kim Kardashian just sent out notes to her wedding guests, saying that she donated $200,000 to a charity, in order to "pay them back" for their wedding gifts. It was rumored that her gifts totaled about $100,000.

Kris Humphries, her ex, is apparently saying that she should give all the gifts back because she entered the marriage fraudulently,  and they were only married 42 days.

I know there has been discussion before about if wedding gifts have to be returned after a marriage does happen, etc. What do we think about this case?

Shoo

• Super Hero!
Re: Kim Kardashian's Ex Thinks She Should Give the Wedding Gifts Back
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2012, 06:03:03 PM »
I think her donating to charity is self-serving.  She gets a pretty tax write-off, doesn't she?

I agree with Kris.  Though technically the marriage took place, keeping the gifts is a really unclassy thing to do.  But then again, we are talking about Kim Kardashian here, so it's really not surprising.

I'm envisioning the gifts she received to be things like artwork and collectibles that could easily be returned to the giver.  I doubt anyone gave her towels for her guest bathroom.  Anything that CAN be returned should be, IMO.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2012, 06:04:32 PM »
I think that Ms. Kardashian feels that she is setting a whole new trend and sees nothing *that she has done* as wrong.  Because she is a very SS Blizzard all by herself, if you add the rest of the family - that's an enourmous amount of snow.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2012, 07:09:21 PM »
I think her donating to charity is self-serving.  She gets a pretty tax write-off, doesn't she?

A tax write-off means that she can deduct the amount donated from her income, before taxes are calculated. So, if she donated $200k and her tax rate is 30% (just for example), then her tax bill will be $60k lower and the total "donated" would be $140k, which covers her original gifts.

I dislike how it is being treated as "her" gifts. If they were wedding gifts, then they were "their" gifts and he should also get a say on how it is handled.

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2012, 07:12:15 PM »
I think she was wrong because it wasn't her decision to make. She singularly did not get gifts, they as a couple received gifts. Every last gift was half his and he had - or at least should have had - equal say in how it was handled.

mimi_cat

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2012, 07:52:42 PM »
I was just going to post about this!

If you look further on TMZ.com you will see a photo of her pre-printed thank you note - apparently all she did was sign them.  I find that appalling as well.

I think they should be returned.

shhh its me

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2012, 07:56:28 PM »
1 they are his gifts to ,he gets a say. She might owe him $50,000 (unless the divorce decree said " Kim gets 100% of the gifts")

2 if he is right and it was a stunt/sham wedding , then the gifts should be returned.

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2012, 08:16:31 PM »
Generally I would say that if the marriage takes place, you don't owe the return of your gifts, even if it's a very short marriage. In this case, though, I think every indication is that the whole thing was a sham for her TV show and publicity in general. In that case, the gifts were acquired through fraud and should be returned, period.

And don't even get me started on the charitable contribution in lieu of gifts being returned. People are starting to think they can substitute a donation for anything!

SaphireSnap

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2012, 10:57:31 AM »

If you look further on TMZ.com you will see a photo of her pre-printed thank you note - apparently all she did was sign them.  I find that appalling as well.

I noticed that as well!  She should have at the very least handwritten personalized thank you notes.  But I guess writing a personal note to each of her 450 wedding guests would be too much to ask.

Technically, she doesn't have to return the gifts.  But IMHO, I think it would have been a nicer gesture than a tax write off and a pre-printed thank you note.

Bibliophile

• May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2012, 11:00:10 AM »
I just think it needs to go away. 

“Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.” ~ Groucho Marx

Aggiesque

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2012, 11:00:34 AM »
With that many gifts, I wonder if she even knows who gave what?
Aggie

My favorite blog, which discusses personal finance: http://www.opinmoney.blogspot.com/

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2012, 11:20:11 AM »

I noticed that as well!  She They should have at the very least handwritten personalized thank you notes.  But I guess writing a personal note to each of her their 450 wedding guests would be too much to ask.

Technically, she doesn't have to return the gifts.  But IMHO, I think it would have been a nicer gesture than a tax write off and a pre-printed thank you note.

I agree with a slight change.  Much like I think the gifts belonged to both of them, so too did the responsibility to thank guests.

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2012, 12:15:44 PM »
I think she was wrong because it wasn't her decision to make. She singularly did not get gifts, they as a couple received gifts. Every last gift was half his and he had - or at least should have had - equal say in how it was handled.

Agreed. He was part of that marriage, and he should have a voice in what happens to the gifts.  I also agree that he was responsible for thanking the guests as well, so he gets to share the lashing for not writing thank-yous.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

Redneck Gravy

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2012, 01:35:14 PM »
There's so many things wrong with this - I can't even fathom the accountant & attorney's fees coming.

They were married, each owns half of the gifts, each should own half of the deduction.  Also, are they filing jointly as a married couple? or are they filing married - separate?  I don't think they can file single even if they were married such a short time.   

Both are responsible for the thank you notes and pre-printed just doesn't get it for me.  He's a big fool and she's a con-artist, I wish they would all go away, how do either of them ever plan to save face from this fiasco?  or do they plan to revel in it?

LeveeWoman

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2012, 11:06:32 PM »

I noticed that as well!  She They should have at the very least handwritten personalized thank you notes.  But I guess writing a personal note to each of her their 450 wedding guests would be too much to ask.

I agree with a slight change.  Much like I think the gifts belonged to both of them, so too did the responsibility to thank guests.

Shut up or put up, Kris!