Author Topic: Can I tell Facebook friends to remove me if they like posting gory stuff?  (Read 4821 times)

sweetonsno

Thought one: These aren't actually things that your friends are deliberately posting, but viruses. There's a new breed of virus that will automatically post that you "like" a link on your wall if you click that link. While it doesn't harm your computer (I think), it does essentially spam other people's walls. With some of them, you don't even see the "like" showing up in your feed. Most of the ones that I've seen are "CRUD MONKEYS! Dad walks in on daughter so embarrassing!" or "FB will pay for baby's heart transplant if we get a million likes!" They're becoming more and more prevalent, which would explain why you're seeing the images so often. If you see one of them, you could just leave a note on the friend's wall (don't reply to the link) saying, "I think you got hacked; I'm seeing XYZ in my feed and it doesn't seem like the sort of thing you'd look at."

Thought two: Even if people are deliberately posting this sort of thing, you can't really tell them what to post and what not to post. If they continue to post things that you find obnoxious (inflammatory messages, gossip, whining, whatever), the onus is on you to hide them or unfriend them.

EDIT: You posted your reply while I was typing. I think your solution is fine.  :)

Sterling

• Oh Stupid Me- Blogs about Things That Drive Me Crazy
WHAT!!! Who would post a pic like that?  My friends are gross, crass and wierd and post all kinds of stuff but that would cross the line.

I wouldn't even say anything I would just defriend.
93 93/93

shhh its me

• Super Hero!
   I don't think it would be rude to say" I'm squeamish so if you post gory pics remove me now please"  but I don't think it will be even remotely effective.  Unless I'm thinking about posting something gory right that second, some people get 100s or 1000s of posts in a few days not everyone uses it that way but FB has sort of a blather feel to it, it' easy to forget what someone posted a month ago. IT can be like being in a room with 500 all of them shouting out random things of wildly varied importance , not everything sticks.   Fb is rearranged seemly constantly it's easy for people to miss posts.   I didn't know you could unsuscribe for images  that I think will be your best bet.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
The cousin who posts pictures of parasites and then has people miss her wedding announcement deserves exactly what she gets.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

O'Dell

The cousin who posts pictures of parasites and then has people miss her wedding announcement deserves exactly what she gets.

I agree. If it comes up, I will tell people that I've hidden their posts and why.

I told a friend that I'd hidden her posts for this sort of thing. My husband had to let me know that she'd posted a photo of her newborn so I could congratulate her.
Do I contradict myself? Very well, then I contradict myself, I am large, I contain multitudes.
Walt Whitman

AngelBarchild

Well, I've been wondering what the heck facebook is good for, but, OP, you've provided an example of *one* useful function it has. People who would post what you describe (especially as a "gotcha" link) need to be defriended on FB, in real life, removed from any employment position that involves interacting with civilized people, and preferably have their license to procreate revoked. And without facebook to give them a medium on which to be foul and ugly, one might have gone on associating with them, little suspecting their disgusting nature.

Not, mind you, that I have a strong opinion, or anything  ::) :P

I understand you have a strong opinion, but this is very insulting. Hyperbole at this level doesn't really help anyting.

Calypso

Well, I've been wondering what the heck facebook is good for, but, OP, you've provided an example of *one* useful function it has. People who would post what you describe (especially as a "gotcha" link) need to be defriended on FB, in real life, removed from any employment position that involves interacting with civilized people, and preferably have their license to procreate revoked. And without facebook to give them a medium on which to be foul and ugly, one might have gone on associating with them, little suspecting their disgusting nature.

I understand you have a strong opinion, but this is very insulting. Hyperbole at this level doesn't really help anyting.

It's not hyperbole. How is it insulting? I'm making a judgment, and a harsh one, but who is being hurt by it except the perpetrators of indefensibly bad behavior, none of whom, I'm sure, are on eHell?

Bibliophile

• May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one.
  • Super Hero!

It's not hyperbole. How is it insulting? I'm making a judgment, and a harsh one, but who is being hurt by it except the perpetrators of indefensibly bad behavior, none of whom, I'm sure, are on eHell?

It's actually insulting to anyone who uses FB, which you say is good for nothing.  Some people find it useful. 

“Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.” ~ Groucho Marx

Calypso

No, no, I didn't say Facebook was good for nothing, I said I'd been wondering what it was good for. That's literally true. I read the stories on eHell and of course only see the bad side of it. I have an account and haven't used it since last year at this time---to find out if a friend in Japan was ok (she was). I'm not an adept at using the thing, and I worry too much about learning all the technical ins and outs I read about on here.

I get into the philosophy of these things and lose sight of the day-to-day. Facebook as a tool to bring about instant communication, get around censorship, keep in touch with people? Awesome. Facebook as something that further encourages us to become commodities for companies that want to categorize us into "target" or "waste" for their marketing campaign (that's their terms, not mine, btw)----not something I'm happy about.

All I *meant* to condemn were people who think it's ok to broadcast horrifically gross images (the med student who posted the image that disturbed the poster for several days can certainly hold the opinion that the body is beautiful in all its permutations, but I would think anyone smart enough for med school certainly knows not everyone on her friends list will want to see maggots crawling out of a wound.)

Bibliophile

• May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one.
  • Super Hero!
You may not have meant it that way, but you asked how it was insulting & that's how I read the post and why it sounded insulting.  I was just giving you an explanation. 

“Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.” ~ Groucho Marx

Calypso

You may not have meant it that way, but you asked how it was insulting & that's how I read the post and why it sounded insulting.  I was just giving you an explanation.

Thank you. I feel like I'm threadjacking at this point, so I'll cut it out now. 8)

AngelBarchild

If it's not hyperbole, then you really feel that someone who post a vulgar picture on the internet, should be completely socially ostracized, loose their job, and never be allowed to have children. I hope you can see why this is insulting. You judge a persons entire worth as a human being, and condemn them, even going so far as to suggest removing the basic human right to procreate, based solely on them posting something gross on the internet. This is just over the top.

I am on e-hell, and I am also a member of a forum where these kind of got-cha links are common practice, does this apply to me?

Sharnita

• Super Hero!

If it's not hyperbole, then you really feel that someone who post a vulgar picture on the internet, should be completely socially ostracized, loose their job, and never be allowed to have children. I hope you can see why this is insulting. You judge a persons entire worth as a human being, and condemn them, even going so far as to suggest removing the basic human right to procreate, based solely on them posting something gross on the internet. This is just over the top.

I am on e-hell, and I am also a member of a forum where these kind of got-cha links are common practice, does this apply to me?

Since people have different definitions of what might be gross the comment that was made is particularly interesting.  Some of the photos people describe as gross would not bother me that much but for some reason a close-up of an eye gives me the spins.  That is an image I find personally objectionable and terribly gross but to make sweeping statements about people who post gross images...

That's why in general I wouldn't ask people not to post those pictures.  Myt triggers are not the same as others'.

misschristina

Sort of related... 2 other annoying Facebook trends -

1- This new tendency to post inhuman, cruel photos of what is "going on in the world". I don't need to see a dog beaten to near death or a child mutilated, or eaten alive by some sort of disease. I mean, just writing it here I feel like I wouldn't like to read it if I were any of you. I've cried at times looking at these photos, and was shocked to find them on my Newsfeed when I logged in. I KNOW this is happening right now, but I don't have the heart to see it so vividly! Why are people sharing these photos on the Internet? It's almost lost its purpose...

2- I get really upset/annoyed when people send me requests to join games via inbox. Actually, I know it's the game sending the requests (or the app, or whatever it is they're using...) but they have the option of sending them or not and they do so. Every day. Five times a day. I politely wrote to a friend asking her please, I am not playing this game and I literally have 5 inbox messages from you daily asking for coins or rocks or whatever she collects. Every time, I get excited thinking it's a proper inbox message. She apologized and told me since she can't *pick* who she sends the requests to, she can only ask for it to be sent to everyone on her list -- she can't do anything, sorry, but the points are really important to her. I couldn't block the app, so I ended up unfriending her...

Nemesis

Sort of related... 2 other annoying Facebook trends -

1- This new tendency to post inhuman, cruel photos of what is "going on in the world". I don't need to see a dog beaten to near death or a child mutilated, or eaten alive by some sort of disease. I mean, just writing it here I feel like I wouldn't like to read it if I were any of you. I've cried at times looking at these photos, and was shocked to find them on my Newsfeed when I logged in. I KNOW this is happening right now, but I don't have the heart to see it so vividly! Why are people sharing these photos on the Internet? It's almost lost its purpose...

2- I get really upset/annoyed when people send me requests to join games via inbox. Actually, I know it's the game sending the requests (or the app, or whatever it is they're using...) but they have the option of sending them or not and they do so. Every day. Five times a day. I politely wrote to a friend asking her please, I am not playing this game and I literally have 5 inbox messages from you daily asking for coins or rocks or whatever she collects. Every time, I get excited thinking it's a proper inbox message. She apologized and told me since she can't *pick* who she sends the requests to, she can only ask for it to be sent to everyone on her list -- she can't do anything, sorry, but the points are really important to her. I couldn't block the app, so I ended up unfriending her...

You managed to say exactly what my problem is. I mean, by the time I hide the feed, I had already seen those pictures. And they are so vivid, so inhuman, that even if you see it for a second, it gets stuck in your brain.

I don't have the heart for it. I know babies are dying everyday. I know women are being abused everyday. I know animals are abused everyday. I know many people are dying in the war everyday. But I don't want to see those images.

Which brings me to the question of "WHY, Oh why are you posting this when it gets onto everyone's news feed?" And when I ask that question, my next instinct is actually somewhat similar to Calypso's response  >:D which is to Block, Unfriend, and Avoid-Sick-Individual-Who-Thinks-It's-Fine-To-Post-Nasty-Pictures. <-- Okay I am being very judgemental now   :( :(

Let me defend myself: I'm the type of person who would distance myself from people who like sharing crude jokes or off-colour remarks in real-life. So why would I want to associate (online) with someone who likes sharing graphically violent stuff?