Author Topic: Pay  (Read 9114 times)

jmarvellous

Re: Pay
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2012, 02:21:41 PM »

There are lots of reasons to not want direct deposit that has nothing to do with conspiracy theories or defrauding the government or your employer. Having their money exist only in electronic form is an issue for a lot of people - electrons and numbers on a screen are far from legal tender.

That's one political perspective, but I think this thread was doing pretty well without getting into politics up to now.

I was referring to a specific person, and I don't think I was doing so critically or negatively (if I'm misinterpreting your post, I apologize, but I made an assumption from the fact that it followed mine). I liked that person very much and would have been inclined to behave similarly if I were him; I'm not, though, and I've never had any DD issues.

If your employer ONLY offers DD, that's a compelling reason to use it.

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2012, 02:28:47 PM »
Oh, not at all - i actually didn't think your comment was political, either, and i wasn't aiming at it - it just seems to be an overall misconception everywhere (in the US) that if you don't want all your financial doings done electronically you must be a Luddite or doing something dishonest.  I don't know if that is true in other places, but i find it to be more and more so here.

ETA: So to answer the original question in a roundabout way - yes, it is used by employers more and more here; and correspondingly people have become more likely to look at you askance if you want to use an "old fashioned" paper check.

:)
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 02:32:47 PM by hobish »
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

HorseFreak

« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2012, 02:51:46 PM »
I'm in the US and my last full time employer was switching to entirely DD, but people were grandfathered in. New hires were told up front that it was DD or nothing and they had to provide the information before starting work. Unfortunately, with banks charging all sorts of crazy fees in excess of hundreds of dollars a year just to have an account it's more difficult to maintain one at a brick & mortar bank. Some will waive the fees if you have DD, however.

At my current job a LOT of people get paper checks, but this is a pretty poor area and there may not be a lot of trust in banks or government due to some pretty heinous history. The problem is that at Christmas time they were only distributing December checks for a 20 minute period right before the holiday because the payroll admin of our department was going on vacation. We get paid only once per month which also isn't quite legal in some states (OK in the one).

magicdomino

« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2012, 03:14:18 PM »
We have a couple of anti-government conspiracy types working here who are all up in arms over their paycheck choices since apparently it's Evil and Big Brother will do..something; I have no idea what- if they get direct deposit.

When the feds insisted that federal workers move to direct deposit, I know of at least one person who was very unhappy.  You see, he cashed his paycheck at a liquor store owned by his brother, then deposited part of the cash in his checking account.  That way, his wife never knew exactly how much overtime money he made.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2012, 12:43:53 AM »
I have gotten direct deposit for at least the last decade (in the US).  My first office job didn't offer it though, as it was a very small office and the owners were very resistant to change.

I pretty much need DD now though as for the last 5+ years banks will only offer free checking if you have a very big balance at all times (like over $1k) or direct deposit.  Since I don't tend to hold $1k+ in my checking account at all times, and I refuse to pay for checking, I need direct deposit.
Look into credit unions. Ours requires a balance of $5 in your savings.  Yes, five dollars.

Re the OP, the US government has been doing direct deposit for a long time, I think when DH was still active duty Air Force, which would put it in the early '80's.  They mandated DD a while later. 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

bigozzy

« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2012, 05:38:38 AM »
Thanks for the replies.

I find the differences in approaches and attitudes interesting.

In Australia I was paid fortnightly but here in the UK I ahve always been paid monthly. I used to find the wait for the end of the month hard but now I am used to it a (try) to budget appropriately.

The tricky months are when there is 5 weeks between pays!

iridaceae

• Boring in real life as well
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2012, 05:58:12 AM »
We have a couple of anti-government conspiracy types working here who are all up in arms over their paycheck choices since apparently it's Evil and Big Brother will do..something; I have no idea what- if they get direct deposit.

When the feds insisted that federal workers move to direct deposit, I know of at least one person who was very unhappy.  You see, he cashed his paycheck at a liquor store owned by his brother, then deposited part of the cash in his checking account.  That way, his wife never knew exactly how much overtime money he made.

These are actual consipracy theorists. You know, the type that believe that your flu shot contains microchips (different person, but same mindset; I've worked with some very odd people), and that The Government is Watching Their Every Move and they tie direct deposit into that somehow. 

They tend to make my head hurt, so I don't ask too many questions.

toontownnutter

« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2012, 02:04:34 AM »
In Australia we can claim the bank account keeping fee on our taxes because our employers only pay via direct debt so we require a bank account.

shhh its me

• Super Hero!
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2012, 02:30:58 AM »
  I like getting an actual check for a few reasons. I know the second the money is available, don't have to check if it was deposited before 3 pm and I can't forget that it's a bank holiday and the money won;t be available for an extra day(there are about 10 days banks are closed that I work) I work on commission , if I get a check I don't have to print anything the companies accounting is included,( part 2) I don't have to deal with the company website being down.  It's really easy to save money for 2 or 3 weeks if you simply wait to cash a check.  It's really easy for me to change my banks.

Gwywnnydd

« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2012, 10:17:54 PM »
I've had DD as an option for the last 15 years, but I was working in IT. Previous to that, I only had a paper check as an option.

Now I'm remembering my Dad talking about his first job, and the furor caused when his employer went from cash pay packets to a paper check. Apparently, with a bit of practice, you can caaarrreeeffuuulllyyy peel up the edge of the pay envelope, stick a pencil in the end, twirl the pencil until a pound note wraps around it, and slide out your weekly pub money, without the missus knowing about it.
There were a number of his coworkers who had to suddenly explain why they were bringing home more money, and incidentally why they needed some pub money this week...

SisJackson

• Wear Sunscreen!
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2012, 05:08:30 AM »
In Australia I was paid fortnightly but here in the UK I ahve always been paid monthly.

Is this a standard in each country?

Thinking back on all my jobs over the years, I've had everything from weekly pay to twice monthly (1st and 15th) to biweekly to once per month.  I don't think there is such a standard here in the U.S.

sammycat

• Super Hero!
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2012, 06:00:13 AM »

In Australia I was paid fortnightly but here in the UK I have always been paid monthly.

Is this a standard in each country?

In Australia, workers are paid weekly, fortnightly or monthly.  It just comes down to what the individual business/employer prefers.  I'd hazzard a guess and say that fortnightly would be the most commom, with monthly the least.  Some businesses may also have certain dates within the month (eg. 1st and 15th) that they do pays on, but I've never personally known anyone who was paid that way.

Government payments such as pensions, unemployment benefits, family allowance etc are all paid by DD fortnightly.

Direct deposit seems to be the most common payment method.

Margo

« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2012, 01:54:49 PM »
In the UK I think historically it used to be that 'blue collar' workers would be paid weekly and 'white collar' workers monthly (perhaps reflecting who was likely to hold bank accounts?) but monthly is the norm for most people.

So far as cheques vs. Direct Debit is concerned, here in the UK most personal bank accounts are free ( banks do offer accounts which you have to pay for, but these are marketed as being better than the standard ones) also, you need a bank account in order to cash a cheque, you can't just endorse it to someone else, (a cheque can be made out to "cash" but I think you would need to go to a branch of the issuing bank to cash it, and of course it's not secure) so for those reasons I guess that paycheques as opposed to DD have fewer benefits.

There are 'basic' bank accounts available which don't have overdraft facilities etc which even someone who has been made bankrupt or who has poor credit can hold.

Teenyweeny

« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2012, 08:08:59 AM »
Yes, I've never heard of anyone who was working legitimately who didn't have their pay directly deposited into their account. I'm in the UK.

Banks here cannot refuse to give someone a basic account. A basic account has no overdraft facility, and your bank card only functions as an ATM card, not as a debit card (which most people's bank cards function as). If you have very very poor credit, that's the kind of bank account you will have. Even state benefits are paid by direct deposit here, so every adult needs a bank account.

Irishkitty

• Ce la vie
    • Cards and Crafts by Carol
« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2012, 08:25:20 AM »
Ireland here. DD is the norm I believe, and most workers are paid monthly.
I'm paid on the last Thursday of every month. The only exception is December, where we are often paid the week before Christmas. Which is great for December, but a big ol pain for Jan which becomes a 5 - 6 week stretch between paydays.

Just recently there was uproar from Civil Servants as the powers that be were going to take away the 1/2 hour every friday they received for cashing their paychecks. Despite the fact that most were paid by DD for years...  ::)
Ireland
Check out my handmade cards -
http://www.etsy.com/shop/CardsnCraftsbyCarol