Author Topic: How to tell a friend that they are too picky?  (Read 27802 times)

grannyclampettjr

Re: How to tell a friend that they are too picky?
« Reply #120 on: March 18, 2012, 04:55:08 PM »
Nothing wrong with a man who is into sports--I prefer em, coming from a family of sports nuts.   (It gives you time to yourself, if nothing else.)  What I cannot abide, however, is men who have never set foot on a field or court of any kind who refuse to believe that women can know a little something about the sport in question.   I will defer to someone who has played sports in HS and college (my current bf, father and uncle lettered in 3 sports)--I will not defer to a non-athlete who has only played fantasy football, because they typically do not know any more than a woman who has steeped in their families obsession.     In my experience the athletes are *way* less chauvinistic in this regard (and are eager to explain their passion to you) than non athletes, so, ladies?  Don't believe the stereotypes.   

In regards to the list of standards and how to approach this subject...criteria #4 really bothers me.  Nobody should be at anybody's beck and call, especially early in a relationship, whether it's friendship or romance.  That is something that must be earned, and it must be mutual.   OP, does she expect this of friends too?   Because if she does?  She's not worth the time and energy.   (Been there, done that, had the undereye bags to prove it.)

blarg314

• Super Hero!
« Reply #121 on: March 18, 2012, 08:30:52 PM »
  Nobody should be at anybody's beck and call, especially early in a relationship, whether it's friendship or romance.  That is something that must be earned, and it must be mutual. 

There is a level of attentiveness early in a romance that indicates the other person is really into you, so too far the other way is a bad sign (if someone is giving off vibes that say "You have to earn my interest and attention" it's just as off-putting as someone who sits there and says "Entertain me!") But it's something that's offered, not demanded.

I also laughed about the business owner requirement. She wants to date someone who is sinking all their assets and time into keeping a business running and successful, *and* expects him to be at her beck and call, day and night?!  I suspect what she really wants is someone who inherited a successful family business that's profitable and taken care of by managers.

strawbabies

« Reply #122 on: March 28, 2012, 05:50:58 PM »
What drives me over the edge is when DH NEEDS to watch a football game that isn't from this century
Wait...they re-run football games????  Why?

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #123 on: March 28, 2012, 06:32:30 PM »
What drives me over the edge is when DH NEEDS to watch a football game that isn't from this century

Even when you know how they are gonig to play out, some classic games are neat to watch. Some hits you can just watch again and again and again, and some really beautiful plays, too. You know how most movies are going to end - the dog dies, the princess is rescued, the ring is destroyed ... and yet people still watch them because they like the story or the actors or the special effects ... it's not that much different.

It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

Nora

« Reply #124 on: March 30, 2012, 04:15:29 PM »

Even when you know how they are gonig to play out, some classic games are neat to watch. Some hits you can just watch again and again and again, and some really beautiful plays, too. You know how most movies are going to end - the dog dies, the princess is rescued, the ring is destroyed ... and yet people still watch them because they like the story or the actors or the special effects ... it's not that much different.

I'm really not into sports, but I do get that. As it is I've read most Agatha Christie novels at least 3 times (not exaggerating at all here), and I know who dunnit, I know who's going to catch them and how, and I still reread them into oblivion.
Just because someone is offended that does not mean they are in the right.

wyliefool

« Reply #125 on: April 26, 2012, 12:48:56 PM »
Me, I'm holding out for a former* Olympic gymnast who can play the zither and recite Mervyn Peake poems by heart. I know he's out there!

*Because Olympic training takes way too much time away from pampering me in the style to which I have become accustomed.

MacadamiaNut

• These pretzels are making me thirsty.
« Reply #126 on: April 26, 2012, 01:38:20 PM »
Me, I'm holding out for a former* Olympic gymnast who can play the zither and recite Mervyn Peake poems by heart. I know he's out there!

*Because Olympic training takes way too much time away from pampering me in the style to which I have become accustomed.

LOL! ;D  Good call on the "former" status requirement!
Paperweights, for instance - has anyone ever established what, when, and why
paper has to be weighed down? ::) ~Don Aslett

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #127 on: April 26, 2012, 03:29:17 PM »
Plus they have to spend their endorsement checks on training, and dreary stuff like that, whereas required athletes don't.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

blueyzca01

« Reply #128 on: May 02, 2012, 02:14:33 PM »
I am continually amazed at the levels of sheer brilliance I encounter here!!! ;D
No one ever says, "Why me?!?!" when something good happens.