Author Topic: How to tell a friend that they are too picky?  (Read 26188 times)

weeblewobble

Re: How to tell a friend that they are too picky?
« Reply #90 on: March 12, 2012, 07:03:50 AM »
Actually, I think my chances of finding a man who doesn't care terribly much about football is much better than hers of finding a millionaire model with world-class love-making skills. But what do I know?

I want to have this made into a bumper sticker.

camlan

• Super Hero!
« Reply #91 on: March 12, 2012, 08:33:38 AM »
If it's not football, it's hockey. Or basketball. Or baseball. Or soccer. Or lacrosse, golf, bowling.

Or all of them. Most of the guys I know follow whatever sport is being played that season. There is always a big game coming up, or on, or just over that needs to be discussed or watched.

A co-worker complained to me once that his girlfriend kept falling asleep on the weekends when they watched football/baseball/basketball together. I suggested that she might go off and do something else during that time. Oh, no, he knew she was bored with the sports, but he liked to have her there while he watched.

And when she watched her favorite sport, figure skating? Did she expect him to keep her company then? Well, she might want him there, but he would leave the house.
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #92 on: March 12, 2012, 09:39:33 AM »
If it's not football, it's hockey. Or basketball. Or baseball. Or soccer. Or lacrosse, golf, bowling.

Or all of them. Most of the guys I know follow whatever sport is being played that season. There is always a big game coming up, or on, or just over that needs to be discussed or watched.

A co-worker complained to me once that his girlfriend kept falling asleep on the weekends when they watched football/baseball/basketball together. I suggested that she might go off and do something else during that time. Oh, no, he knew she was bored with the sports, but he liked to have her there while he watched.

And when she watched her favorite sport, figure skating? Did she expect him to keep her company then? Well, she might want him there, but he would leave the house.

That sounds depressingly familiar.  A former boyfriend was like this and refused to understand that I didn't enjoy sports.  What's more he was into all of them and the seasons overlap.  In retrospect I'm grateful that my neighborhood didn't have cable yet because there would have been no relief whatsoever.

wolfie

• I don't know what this is so I am putting random words here
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #93 on: March 12, 2012, 10:41:05 AM »

I know a lot of guys who are not into any sports at all.  When someone had a superbowl party they had to post " We WILL be watching the game" because the majority of the invited would have asked to do something else - in previous superbowl parties the game was background to other activities.

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #94 on: March 12, 2012, 10:55:01 AM »
Neither my current guy or my ex liked football, or any sports at all. They're both self-identified, geeks though (as am I!) So maybe it's football or video games...:D

Sadly, you can find guys who are both into football AND video games.  I should know, I'm married to one!

Happily, you can also find women who are into both football AND video games. Ask me how i know this.
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

camlan

• Super Hero!
« Reply #95 on: March 12, 2012, 10:55:24 AM »

I know a lot of guys who are not into any sports at all.  When someone had a superbowl party they had to post " We WILL be watching the game" because the majority of the invited would have asked to do something else - in previous superbowl parties the game was background to other activities.

I would like to meet some of these guys. I know, on a purely intellectual level, that they must exist. The law of average says that they exist.

But in my world, all my brothers, all my male cousins, all my male co-workers, all my male friends--they are all fixated on sports. Maybe not all of them on every single sport, but enough of them. This upcoming weekend is a big one for college basketball and I know of two all-weekend, all-basketball parties/sleepovers being planned. These are guys (and a few gals) in their 40s and 50s.

I think I will be hanging around the library, hoping to meet a bookish sort of guy.
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

wolfie

• I don't know what this is so I am putting random words here
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #96 on: March 12, 2012, 10:56:41 AM »

I would like to meet some of these guys. I know, on a purely intellectual level, that they must exist. The law of average says that they exist.

But in my world, all my brothers, all my male cousins, all my male co-workers, all my male friends--they are all fixated on sports. Maybe not all of them on every single sport, but enough of them. This upcoming weekend is a big one for college basketball and I know of two all-weekend, all-basketball parties/sleepovers being planned. These are guys (and a few gals) in their 40s and 50s.

I think I will be hanging around the library, hoping to meet a bookish sort of guy.

We are having a party this Sunday so if you are in the upstate NY area I could introduce you to some! :-)

jmarvellous

« Reply #97 on: March 12, 2012, 11:41:54 AM »
My boyfriend and all of our friends are 99% uninterested in sports. We don't mind exercising, or watching our friends run a marathon or something, but I'm pretty sure they couldn't name 5 NFL teams under pressure!

I worked in sports for 5 years (and had a football-loving BF for more than 2 of those) and my current group looks at me like I have three heads when I start talking about it -- and I don't like sports either, I just know about them and think some degree of cultural literacy is important.

That said, my standards include respect, and when I dated a man who did love football and basketball, he was respectful of my time and interests -- and we found a mutual, new interest in soccer.

Anyway, I don't think setting a standard of "must not give a flip about the NFL" is unreasonable (if harsh -- perhaps "must not watch every game every week" is more fair), but I do think "must never spend 3 hours on a Saturday doing something I'm uninterested in" (be it football or video games or crochet) is unreasonable.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #98 on: March 12, 2012, 11:48:43 AM »
Actually, I have no problem with people watching football, I just wouldn't want to be involved with someone who takes it to extremes - "We CAN'T go to Little Bobby's graduation! There's a critical game on!"

Besides, as a Canadian, I must assume that everyone's true, first love is hockey, eh? ( ;))
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

courtsmad25

« Reply #99 on: March 12, 2012, 01:09:52 PM »
My husband is a sports nut, and that's OK... one of the things he did at out house was put a TV, with cable, on top of the fridge so he could watch sportscenter while he cooks! At first I thought he was crazy  :o but in reality, he cooks well, cleans and I'm off playing on facebook while he's watching sportscenter? Its PERFECT! Just the right about of personal space, besides Law & order is normally on in the room where I'm hanging out in.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #100 on: March 12, 2012, 01:14:18 PM »

The husband of one of my coworkers likes to watch NASCAR.  Coworker calls it NAPCAR.  He just laughs, because sometimes, he falls asleep, too.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #101 on: March 12, 2012, 01:52:23 PM »
Hah - my father used to do that on weekends. "THere's a big game on, can't wai ... zzzzzz".
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #102 on: March 12, 2012, 02:05:21 PM »
What drives me over the edge is when DH NEEDS to watch a football game that isn't from this century
Him:  But it's gooooodddd game!
Me:  Well, you already know the score, therefore no one can spoil it for you.  So let's go to the restaurant. 
Him:  But, but...

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #103 on: March 12, 2012, 02:59:37 PM »
Sophia, are you secretly my mom? Because my dad does this- now that he finally broke down and got cable he's rewatching all sorts of really old games.

If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #104 on: March 12, 2012, 03:56:01 PM »
No, unless my 20 month old angel is even more amazing than I think she is. Unfortunately, my DH and your Dad aren't unique which is why they show these #$#%&$ games.  Tivo has helped with football, though.  DH scoffed at the idea, but now he is hooked.  Every other Saturday night, I have a poker game at our house.  DH watches our angel, and TIVO's the game(s).