Author Topic: What, if anything, will you do for St. Patrick's Day?  (Read 19398 times)

Instantkarma

Re: What, if anything, will you do for St. Patrick's Day?
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2012, 01:36:28 PM »
I'll color my hair red. :P
ohh what a fun idea!

i'll make corn beef and potatos with just a little bit of cabbage.  I dont like cooked cabbage but I like the flavor it gives the meal.  Plus my moms soda bread.  If i'm lucky Darby O'Gill and the little people will be on.  I know its not really a good movie but young Sean Connary is dreamy!

Kirbi

« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2012, 01:58:47 PM »
Thanks Nibsey :D

PS: You forgot p!ssed, snookered, wrecked, blitzed, tanked, blasted, sloshed and ****faced  ;D  LOL

How could I forget sloshed! I also missed hammered and bolloxed but I wasn't sure how many of those were actually Irish slang. I was trying to be authentic for the trend.  >:D

I'd like to contribute twisted, legless and ostified! :D

I live really near Temple Bar in Dublin, so I'll be trying to be as far away as possible - which should be easy enough, because Himself and I are planning to go to his cousin's belated confirmation party in their house in the mountains. (Belated because it's on the Tuesday before.)

The only specific food I usually like to eat on St Patrick's Day is an ice-cream cone! Some of the shops in my home town always have green ice-cream cones for the day - the only fake green thing I'll eat. It doesn't have to be green though, I decided that the ice-cream was the important part of that tradition. :P

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2012, 02:39:47 PM »
I'm going to a wedding!  It will be a hoot.  I can't wait to see the shamrock decorations, the green bridemaid's dresses, and taste their signature green cocktail!   :D

Awww! I wanted to get married on St. Patrick's day, but that year it was on a Friday and as I was flying out to California that day, it wasn't possible for us to get married that day.   I went to spend my spring break with DH in 29 Palms and we got married on the 20th, which was a Monday.  It was a JOP so we had to go on a weekday and it just wouldn't have worked out for me to fly out on the 16th.   I did however wear a silver dress with shamrocks embroidered onto it and had claddagh rings so we made up for it. :)

My bff wishes she'd been born on St. Patrick's Day.  She was due to be born then but she ended up being born 4 days later, on the 21st but I still wish her Happy Birthday on St. Pat's anyway, just for fun. :D
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Namárië

« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2012, 09:55:56 PM »
ohh what a fun idea!

i'll make corn beef and potatos with just a little bit of cabbage.  I dont like cooked cabbage but I like the flavor it gives the meal.  Plus my moms soda bread.  If i'm lucky Darby O'Gill and the little people will be on.  I know its not really a good movie but young Sean Connary is dreamy!

I love Darby O'Gill! I have it on DVD. :P Mmmmm... Sean Connery... singing...
Competence is a trap!
I mostly don't make stuff, but sometimes I do: http://initiationcreation.blogspot.com

Instantkarma

« Reply #34 on: March 08, 2012, 09:59:19 PM »
ohh what a fun idea!

I love Darby O'Gill! I have it on DVD. :P Mmmmm... Sean Connery... singing...

I think i'll have to get it on dvd i just checked and tvguide.com says its not airing in the next 14 days

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #35 on: March 08, 2012, 10:05:20 PM »
I'm going to a wedding!  It will be a hoot.  I can't wait to see the shamrock decorations, the green bridemaid's dresses, and taste their signature green cocktail!   :D

Awww! I wanted to get married on St. Patrick's day, but that year it was on a Friday and as I was flying out to California that day, it wasn't possible for us to get married that day.   I went to spend my spring break with DH in 29 Palms and we got married on the 20th, which was a Monday.  It was a JOP so we had to go on a weekday and it just wouldn't have worked out for me to fly out on the 16th.   I did however wear a silver dress with shamrocks embroidered onto it and had claddagh rings so we made up for it. :)

My bff wishes she'd been born on St. Patrick's Day.  She was due to be born then but she ended up being born 4 days later, on the 21st but I still wish her Happy Birthday on St. Pat's anyway, just for fun. :D

Ha! Cabbage and I were supposed to be born on the 18th, and Mom was told twins are notoriously early. Well, we came 3 days late, after Mom spent a day and a half in labor.

I'll probably spend St. Paddy's watching TV, as I'll be alone all day.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 10:41:22 PM by violinp »
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

zyrs

• spiffily male.
« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2012, 10:22:07 PM »
I will wear green and orange, but that's about it for festive.

SunVixen

« Reply #37 on: March 09, 2012, 12:57:25 AM »
Our D&D group will be playing that night so we're thinking about doing a St. Patrick's-themed meal.  We're still working on a menu (so far the most important thing seems to be access to Guinness and cocktail cupcakes) and I'm trying to think of items that the teenager in our midst would enjoy.  After all, it's not really fair to her if at least half the people there (including her mother) get to be sillier than normal.

We are all wanderers on this earth. Our hearts are full of wonder, and our souls are deep with dreams.

afbluebelle

• Super Hero!
  • Saving the world one squirrelbot at a time
« Reply #38 on: March 09, 2012, 02:36:18 AM »
I'll be DDing for my friend's "21st" birthday... he is turning 24 this year, but he looks 12 so we are going to mess with our coworkers. i already have thigh high shamrock argyle socks and a green tutu to wear to the bar.

My father's family is off the boat Irish, so I'll also be calling family from across the pond and enjoying a shot or two of Paddy's Irish Whiskey when I return home. I'm almost out, I need to order some more!

Info Note: I found Paddy's Irish Whiskey at the Shannon Airport, It was on the bottom shelf. I bought it, The stuff is goooooooooooooooooood ;D ;D ;D
My inner (r-word) is having a field day with this one.
-Love is Evol: Christopher Titus-

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #39 on: March 09, 2012, 10:11:21 AM »
My husband and I will be attending a completely non-St. Pat's related birthday celebration, so my usual plan of making corned beef and cabbage has to be done on a different day.  St. Pat's is one of those days where we generally make a point of not going out because of the preponderance  of drunk people and general stupidity in our region.

When I lived in Manhattan, my building was right at the end of all the big parades and St. Patrick's Day was a horror.  It was not unusual to have to step over drunken teens to get to my mail.

One year, I was going to a friend's for dinner.  The liquor store has guards at the door carefully check everyone going in.

Here in Brooklyn, things are quite sedate.  That, we enjoy.

SoCalVal

« Reply #40 on: March 09, 2012, 10:47:04 PM »
DF used to have a party on St. Patrick's Day to celebrate his Irish heritage and invite his family to attend (this was before I came along and when his DB still lived alone since DF would hold the parties at his DB's house).  This year, DF's godchildren (all from the same family) and their parents (husband is a college friend of DF) will be in town that evening, stopping over during their vacation, so DF would like to fix them a traditionally Irish dish.  He wanted to fix lamb stew, but I shot down that idea (I pointed out that WE, the two of us, can't normally afford to eat something that's $8.99/lb just for the meat, but he was planning on fixing enough to feed EIGHT???).  He'll be fixing corned beef and cabbage instead (I know he wasn't very happy about the idea -- said, "But the lamb will cost only about $20" -- but I'm still trying to get through to him that it's all of his "only $20" here and "only $10" there that's keeping him from getting out of debt...and the last time we bought a lamb roast it was FORTY dollars, not twenty, and feeding six others would mean that it would all be gone that same night).  Anyway, if it were just the two of us, I could see us making a lovely roasted leg of lamb with rosemary potatoes and asparagus in honor of St. Patrick's Day, but I'm not willing to feed expensive food to more than the two of us.  We just don't have the money.  Besides, I LOVE corned beef and cabbage, as does DF, and there will be fantastic sales for it in a few days.

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #41 on: March 10, 2012, 09:26:14 AM »
DH and I are heading to Chicago on the 16th.  We'll watch them dye the river green, watch the St. Patrick's Day parade, and then head off to see Riverdance perform that night.  On the 18th, we head back home.  I have never seen Riverdance live before, so I'm incredibly excited for that! 

Normally, we go watch the parade in St. Paul, and then DH goes off to drink Guinness with his friends.  We also normally go eat dinner with his family, where they make corned beef and cabbage and create very strange Guinness blends. 

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #42 on: March 10, 2012, 11:08:15 AM »
My friend, whose divorce was final last week, is having a "I do, I did, I'm done" party at a local pub on St. Patrick's Day.  If my daughter's softball tournament ends in time, we are planning on attending that.

Spending the evening in a bar isn't my idea of fun, but I just keep reminding myself that it's to show support for my friend, and I can endure anything for an hour if I have to.  :)

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #43 on: March 10, 2012, 11:30:35 AM »
Never thought about the movie idea but that could be fun!  Our choice would be The Commitments.

Jones

« Reply #44 on: March 10, 2012, 11:32:08 AM »
I just finalized my plans yesterday :)

I get to wrestle my 3 dogs to the vet's office for their (overdue) annual and shots.

When done there, we always have pressure-cooked corned beef, and my hubby makes cabbage soup to die for. I have a feeling I will need the sustenance after that experience...I've never taken all three in at the same time before, but I need to get it done, as it's a past-due visit.