Author Topic: What, if anything, will you do for St. Patrick's Day?  (Read 18768 times)

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
Re: What, if anything, will you do for St. Patrick's Day?
« Reply #45 on: March 10, 2012, 11:46:16 AM »
Eunice has just told me that her animator friends will be bringing DVDs of their work to the party.  If there is to be a feature film my vote would be for Waking Ned Devine.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #46 on: March 10, 2012, 02:53:56 PM »
Food died green is decidedly a US thing.  It's kitschy but can be fun.

Outside of food and drink that use flavors which are naturally associated with green such as lime or mint, the only green food I've seen are beer and bagels. 

The beer is simply a regular beer with a bit of green food coloring added. 

The green bagel is a bit more complex but still fun.  I think it began when Robert Briscoe was elected mayor of Dublin.  Mr. Briscoe was a Jew. Bagels are one of many fine Jewish contributions to the cuisine of NYC.  At the time, a green bagel seemed like a good combination of Irish and Jewish.  Add a swipe of cream cheese and a slice or two of Novi salmon.  This produces a delicious Jewish breakfast with the colors of the Irish flag.

What's not to like? 

Mazdoy

« Reply #47 on: March 12, 2012, 04:35:33 AM »

I shall, like Mazdoy, be wandering to a (relatively) local parade if the weathers good. *waves at mazdoy* It won't be the same parade though.

You never know, we could live in the same area and be standing right next to each other :) 

Army Mom

« Reply #48 on: March 12, 2012, 01:39:31 PM »
It has already started at my workplace, a midwestern US university known for celebrating this particular holiday.  YMMV but young men wearing thongs and painted completely green are really NOT appealing. 

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #49 on: March 12, 2012, 03:36:53 PM »
It has already started at my workplace, a midwestern US university known for celebrating this particular holiday.  YMMV but young men wearing thongs and painted completely green are really NOT appealing.

GAHAH!  :o
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

afbluebelle

• Super Hero!
  • Saving the world one squirrelbot at a time
« Reply #50 on: March 12, 2012, 09:05:26 PM »

They are if you have a paintball gun with hot pink ammo... contrasting colors, don't ya know >:D

Ooooo, or white and orange for the Irish flag!

Note: I would never shoot a guy in a thong with a paintball gun unless he asked me to. You'd be surprised how many times I've heard it though  ;D
My inner (r-word) is having a field day with this one.
-Love is Evol: Christopher Titus-

Mazdoy

« Reply #51 on: March 13, 2012, 04:10:47 AM »
I spotted lots of Americans in Dublin City Centre yesterday.  Hopefully they'll have a good time over here.

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #52 on: March 13, 2012, 09:32:35 AM »
Do you dye the Liffey green?

Mazdoy

« Reply #53 on: March 13, 2012, 10:20:53 AM »
Do you dye the Liffey green?

Not that I've ever seen.

RubyCat

« Reply #54 on: March 13, 2012, 10:25:25 AM »
I wasn't intending to make corned beef and cabbage but after thinking about it, I just might make some on the 17th.  The gray corned beef.  I'm told that my Irish grandmother used to sniff "That's not Irish."  Maybe I'll throw in a few corned spareribs if I can find them.  Yummy!

And on the 18th, I'll be going to the parade in South Boston.  I hope the weather is good.  :-)  When I was young, I used to think St Paddy's Day was better than Christmas because I got to see more friends and family and eat lots more really good food.  Unfortunately, many of the relatives have passed on but we still have some great memories.  Including the year that somebody crashed.  We all thought she was with somebody else.  It wasn't until after she'd left that we'd figured out she wasn't with any of us.  She was nice, though.  Oddly enough, we don't serve corned beef & cabbage on parade day because it's too messy and there are too many people. 

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #55 on: March 13, 2012, 10:48:10 AM »
My mother always boiled the corned beef and cabbage to a pulp until she found a recipe for roasting the meat with wedges of cabbage in the same pan.  I can't provide the recipe because it was on the wrapper of the meat but it was delicious.  The meat was tender and tasty.  The cabbage was slightly crisp and still sweet. 

Still, the best part of the meal was several days later when we had the left over cabbage and boiled potatoes fried up together.  Of course now, I can hear my arteries slamming shut at the very mention of the dish.

afbluebelle

• Super Hero!
  • Saving the world one squirrelbot at a time
« Reply #56 on: March 13, 2012, 06:15:11 PM »
I wasn't intending to make corned beef and cabbage but after thinking about it, I just might make some on the 17th.  The gray corned beef.  I'm told that my Irish grandmother used to sniff "That's not Irish."  Maybe I'll throw in a few corned spareribs if I can find them.  Yummy!

And on the 18th, I'll be going to the parade in South Boston.  I hope the weather is good.  :-)  When I was young, I used to think St Paddy's Day was better than Christmas because I got to see more friends and family and eat lots more really good food.  Unfortunately, many of the relatives have passed on but we still have some great memories.  Including the year that somebody crashed.  We all thought she was with somebody else.  It wasn't until after she'd left that we'd figured out she wasn't with any of us.  She was nice, though.  Oddly enough, we don't serve corned beef & cabbage on parade day because it's too messy and there are too many people.

South Boston parade is one of three of my goal places to visit for St. Patty's Day. Dublin and Galway are the other two... sometimes I wish my family would have stayed on the happy side of the pond. But I guess it is for the best, because it means I can get a good tan to go under my freckles ;D
My inner (r-word) is having a field day with this one.
-Love is Evol: Christopher Titus-

EmmaJ.

« Reply #57 on: March 17, 2012, 10:37:39 PM »
I'm going to a wedding!  It will be a hoot.  I can't wait to see the shamrock decorations, the green bridemaid's dresses, and taste their signature green cocktail!   :D

Well, I'm back from the wedding.  What a perfect day!  They were married at a beachside hotel - on the beach in a pavilion.  It was just lovely.  The bride was stunning, the groom handsome and happy, food was delicious, green beer and key lime vodkas were served, and best of all - they had a green velvet wedding cake!   :D

Irishkitty

• Ce la vie
    • Cards and Crafts by Carol
« Reply #58 on: March 18, 2012, 05:02:23 AM »
I'm going to a wedding!  It will be a hoot.  I can't wait to see the shamrock decorations, the green bridemaid's dresses, and taste their signature green cocktail!   :D

Well, I'm back from the wedding.  What a perfect day!  They were married at a beachside hotel - on the beach in a pavilion.  It was just lovely.  The bride was stunning, the groom handsome and happy, food was delicious, green beer and key lime vodkas were served, and best of all - they had a green velvet wedding cake!   :D

That sounds lovely!
Ireland
Check out my handmade cards -
http://www.etsy.com/shop/CardsnCraftsbyCarol

readingchick

• Trivia Buff
« Reply #59 on: March 18, 2012, 10:12:31 AM »
I went to a minor league hockey game....drank and ate peanuts.....icing on the cake was when the home team won :)

Oh, and Army Mom, I think I know what school you're referring to....and that's one mental image you probably didn't need! :)