Author Topic: Neighbors: Moving 'Pigpen'  (Read 37753 times)

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
Re: Neighbors: Moving 'Pigpen'
« Reply #60 on: February 22, 2012, 12:18:30 PM »
I can only imagine what he thinks at the fact that she was evicted six months ago and needed help for her hoarding build-up, which may have looked worse because she had a quarter of the space of the house he moved her out of.

I absolutely agree that signing up to help move and signing up to help a hoarder are two different deals.

Any hoarder who asks for help needs to be up front about the issue and hope that whomever is approached will not be judgmental or will gossip about it.  The person who gave the most assistance in Blanche's most recent situation fought with her all the way over what to keep and what to ditch.  While this is probably a normal part of the process, some of the fights sounded ridiculous to me.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #61 on: February 24, 2012, 09:39:32 AM »
I moved in 2010. Everything was packed- and I mean everything- and moved downstairs to the back door by the time my friends showed up. We moved stuff to the van, went and had lunch on me, drove to the new place and unloaded. Total, it took us less than 6 hours. Now I understand why my friends offered to help me move in future if I needed it.

LOL!  We treated those who helped us move to pizza for lunch and Cracker Barrel for dinner and were still told "Next time, please call a moving company? Or just...you know, don't move!"  I can't say as I blame them as the house we moved to has a staircase that made it really difficult to get some of our furniture up to the second floor.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #62 on: February 24, 2012, 10:50:24 AM »
I live in a fourth floor walk-up, but I had no furniture when I moved in.

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #63 on: February 24, 2012, 05:48:32 PM »
LOL!  We treated those who helped us move to pizza for lunch and Cracker Barrel for dinner and were still told "Next time, please call a moving company? Or just...you know, don't move!"  I can't say as I blame them as the house we moved to has a staircase that made it really difficult to get some of our furniture up to the second floor.

Oh, yes, stairs are deal breakers in a move ;)

Edited to fix quote.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 05:50:13 PM by lady_disdain »

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #64 on: February 24, 2012, 06:57:00 PM »
LOL they can be. Our house was built in 1925, and apparently before queen size mattresses existed.  We couldn't even get our box spring up the stairs.  It's not a big flight of stairs, actually it's quite short but it turns sharply about 3/4 of the way up and so we just said "to heck with it" on the mattress but there was my dresser that needed to get up there.  Dh and our friend managed to get it up there but we ended up having to get a split box spring.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #65 on: February 29, 2012, 05:08:38 PM »
No, definitely no queen-sized beds in 1925! I don't recall seeing queen/king mattresses before the mid-1970's, although I could be wrong.  DH's sister threw us a linens shower, and I don't recall that she asked what size bed we'd be using.  All the sheet sets given to us were double-sized.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #66 on: March 07, 2012, 06:43:39 AM »
LOL they can be. Our house was built in 1925, and apparently before queen size mattresses existed.  We couldn't even get our box spring up the stairs.  It's not a big flight of stairs, actually it's quite short but it turns sharply about 3/4 of the way up and so we just said "to heck with it" on the mattress but there was my dresser that needed to get up there.  Dh and our friend managed to get it up there but we ended up having to get a split box spring.

anyone else have the image of ross geller yelling "pivot! pi-vot!"

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #67 on: March 10, 2012, 11:48:53 AM »
I moved in 2010. Everything was packed- and I mean everything- and moved downstairs to the back door by the time my friends showed up. We moved stuff to the van, went and had lunch on me, drove to the new place and unloaded. Total, it took us less than 6 hours. Now I understand why my friends offered to help me move in future if I needed it.

Luckily, I had no furniture. I did have stairs but I'd boxed things so nothing was too heavy.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

Bibliophile

• May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #68 on: April 03, 2012, 02:04:36 PM »
Dealing with a regular move where the person moving has been too lazy to pack a darn thing is apples to oranges to dealing with a hoarder.  You really can't compare the 2 at all.  I've dealt with both. 

“Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.” ~ Groucho Marx