News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• March 22, 2017, 11:55:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: The 'I Accomplished Something Today!' Thread  (Read 177653 times)

Outdoor Girl

Re: The 'I Accomplished Something Today!' Thread
« Reply #1920 on: February 21, 2017, 01:20:12 PM »
Only two taps this year, but they are flowing fast, we love to just drink the sap, 46 vitamins and minerals, very hydrating. (Web search "maple water is the new coconut water", and get your hands on some, or if you have a maple or two, go for it.)  :D

Word of warning:  don't drink too much.  A lot of sap will give you the runs...  (Voice of experience, here.)
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

RevMaxx

« Reply #1921 on: February 21, 2017, 01:27:50 PM »
Only two taps this year, but they are flowing fast, we love to just drink the sap, 46 vitamins and minerals, very hydrating. (Web search "maple water is the new coconut water", and get your hands on some, or if you have a maple or two, go for it.)  :D

Word of warning:  don't drink too much.  A lot of sap will give you the runs...  (Voice of experience, here.)

OG, Maybe if some are prone, like apple cider affects some folks' guts. We chug and never had a problem, but if sensitive, then they should definitely heed your advice.
(I was gonna make maple punch for your wedding! Ooops, 'nother thread. ::) )
What sign was I born under you ask? Under the sign, "No Parking".

turtleIScream

« Reply #1922 on: February 21, 2017, 04:42:34 PM »
My MIL retired from teaching a couple of years ago, and gave our kids her entire classroom library (about 300 books.) I finally got around to sorting through them all, and got them labelled and organised by reading level. Everything above a 2nd grade level is now all boxed up, ready for our move next month.

I also did 5 loads of laundry, cleaned the bathroom, and got some vacuuming done.

That was yesterday. Today, I met with the home inspector and realtor, cleaned out our screened porch, vacuumed some more, patched a hole in the wall, organised the basement storage room, and ordered new door bins for our fridge. And did a couple more loads of laundry.

Life happens wherever you are, whether you make it or not. - Uncle Iroh

Outdoor Girl

« Reply #1923 on: February 21, 2017, 05:54:33 PM »
Yesterday ended up being busier than I'd planned.  Made egg McMuffins for breakfast, tidied the freezers and removed anything that was just ice blocks, took the dogs for a really long walk, did the dishes, went to DF's parents and put his mom's tread climber together, made beer can chicken for dinner.  I'm sure I'm forgetting something.  A hot tub and early to bed, not that it did much good.

Baked a cake this morning; I still have to make the icing for it but I'm waiting for the butter to warm up.  It's for a buddy of DF's.  Got the great news that DF has an interview for a job in the field he's been trying to break into.  It's his first interview after quite a few applications.  So he has lots of studying to do.  I've pulled out his study materials and organized them a bit.

Tomorrow, I have a union meeting so I won't get too much done.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

VorFemme

• It's too darned hot! (song from Kiss Me, Kate)
« Reply #1924 on: March 15, 2017, 10:32:10 PM »
Today, I finished unpacking (mostly) from a trip to Galveston (90 minute drive - but we spent almost two weeks there) and looked around to see what really needed doing next.

Laundry, dishes, and Spring Clean & organize my sewing room came to mind...as we had some home repairs done some six weeks ago and the sewing room got used as the dumping ground to put stuff "out of the way" of the repairmen.  It is not a usable sewing room...I can see the sewing machine but I can't use it due to stuff stacked around it.  I can't see the top or legs of the cutting table, due to more stuff stacked on top of it, under it, and next to it. 

Who knew that there were some six or eight cans of paint hiding in the bathroom under the sink?  I need to find which ones are still paint and which are dried up...and toss the dried up ones.  And figure out what to do with the Alpen Glow paint ( I would describe it as "Orange Sherbet" - or possibly "Easter egg jelly bean orange" now that I've repainted the guest bathroom with a more subdued Sahara Desert Sand (golden tan).  I can't think of a single room in the house that I want to paint orange...not even the garage is going to be a place to use this stuff. 

I got a section of floor cleared, vacuumed it, steam cleaned that section, and it's going to dry overnight - most of the spots are gone and others aren't much darker than the original color of the light beige carpet.

Tomorrow - how much more can I get done?  I'd like to be sewing by the weekend!
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I explain?

turtleIScream

« Reply #1925 on: March 15, 2017, 10:46:03 PM »
Today I:

Packed 3 boxes
Did 3 loads of laundry
Sold some clothes to Plato's Closet (teen consignment shop)
Ran the rejects to Goodwill, along with some of my husband's purges
Painted a door
Bought a sofa table
Planted some succulents
Patched nail holes
Paid some bills

Tomorrow, I get to hang the painted door, and try to sell stuff at Once Upon a Child (kids' consignment). With the door out of the way, I should be able to get to the shelves of craft supplies, and pack most of those.  If I have time, I hope to paint a plaque to leave behind for staging purposes.

I will be so glad when this move is done!
Life happens wherever you are, whether you make it or not. - Uncle Iroh

Chez Miriam

« Reply #1926 on: March 16, 2017, 09:13:12 AM »
Who knew that there were some six or eight cans of paint hiding in the bathroom under the sink?  I need to find which ones are still paint and which are dried up...and toss the dried up ones.  And figure out what to do with the Alpen Glow paint ( I would describe it as "Orange Sherbet" - or possibly "Easter egg jelly bean orange" now that I've repainted the guest bathroom with a more subdued Sahara Desert Sand (golden tan).  I can't think of a single room in the house that I want to paint orange...not even the garage is going to be a place to use this stuff. 

When I met my husband, I helped him paint his (new) sitting room "Deep Terracotta".  New relationship, so the screaming "why are you painting your walls bright orange?" was only in my head.  A few years later, and the walls needed refreshing, and after a few [less-than-subtle] hints, The Captain agreed that the walls were indeed bright orange, and that wasn't a truly relaxing colour, and I could paint the walls a different colour.

Long story short: the remaining Deep Terracotta paint* got dumped into a big bucket of white emulsion, and a few coats later the walls were a pale apricot sherbet sort of colour.  Not for everyone, but a 'proper' colour and it looked really nice [and grown up].  I've also diluted leftover turquoise paint down to an eau-di-nil shade using white [and a smidge of a now-forgotten other colour].

Could be worth having a play with a teaspoon or two of Orange Sherbet [with or without a little Sahara Desert Sand] and a small quantity of plain white, and see if you come up with something that would work in your garage?  In the UK a 25 litre bucket of the cheapest white paint [decorators' merchant] costs about the same as a 5 litre pot of "good" stuff from a DIY superstore, so it might be worth trying if you have similar price differentials in the US.

* Scarily, still enough to paint the room with one coat, so would have been enough to just refresh the walls. :o
"All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of thing shall be well."  - Julian of Norwich

VorFemme

• It's too darned hot! (song from Kiss Me, Kate)
« Reply #1927 on: March 16, 2017, 11:02:12 AM »
I found a quart of a lovely Pacific Blue (or possibly it was Swimming Pool Turquoise Blue) on the Oops, Wrong Color shelf at the paint store store, bought a gallon of white base and mixed it.  My laundry room is a lovely lighter shade of blue with a wall paper border of quilts & shirts on a clothes line around the upper part of the wall.

I was researching what colors to paint a sewing room last night on the iPad.  The suggestions boiled down to white with a hint (few drops or whatever it takes) of a color you love (pink, blue, green, violet, and yellow were all mentioned) as the white makes it easier to match colors of fabric and thread to other fabrics - but the hint of color makes the room's owner happier.  An accent wall was also mentioned...in a deeper shade of the same color or possibly a color that looks good with it - such as palest leaf green with a slightly darker shade of rose or lavender...but ceilings need to be white to maximize the light. 

Today, I replaced a burned out light bulb, opened the front curtains (may replace them - they are "room darkening" from the days before the new A/C and new, larger ducts were installed - in an effort to keep the room cooler in summer, I was blocking sunlight).  They are a "stone gray" and I want something a little more appealing...possibly heavy white semi-sheers?  Or even sheers, there are blinds under the curtains, for when I'm trying on a garment-in-progress.

Reminds me - I really need a full length mirror up there - going to the opposite end of the house from second floor sewing room to first floor master bathroom to get a look at myself in a full length mirror is not fun...especially when I'm pinned into the outfit...the issue is that the room has wainscoting, so I can't just hang it on the wall...unless I put it in the bathroom just three feet down the hall....which would let it be handy for that bathroom, sewing, and the guest room...so probably a good spot...

Gotta quit drifting off to "plans for later this spring" as right now, I want to get the sewing room functional again.  Painting, new curtains, and a full length mirror can wait.  Cleaning comes first. 

I vacuumed & steam cleaned 35 square feet of carpet last night, replaced a light bulb, put the ladder away (temporarily) down the hall, and I'm figuring out the logistics of cleaning around the room from the clean spot.  I think...I'm going to clean the wet bar counter and cabinets next, so that I can put some of the stuff I find into clean storage space.  Then...decide whether or not to keep the treadmill.   I don't use it, I didn't buy it, and it takes up a lot of floor space. 

But that means walking away from the computer until it's time to take a break & sit down!  Later...

++++++

And aren't you glad that you didn't just "refresh" the walls with the leftover paint?
« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 11:17:33 AM by VorFemme »
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I explain?

atirial

• just 'plane mad
    • Tirial & Errror blog
« Reply #1928 on: March 17, 2017, 09:08:44 AM »
Braced myself to phone up the Department of Work and Pensions to handle the horror that is my National Insurance because of long-term illness. Turns out I need to pay about a quarter what I thought to make the gap up!

z_squared82

« Reply #1929 on: March 17, 2017, 09:12:53 AM »
Last night, I started and finished Lisa Kleypas' newest book, did a load of laundry, went to the grocery store, and cut about 25 pieces of fabric (upholstery samples) to turn into bags.

I'm surprised I got anything accomplished with Lisa Kleypas' book in my home.

Outdoor Girl

« Reply #1930 on: March 17, 2017, 09:17:26 AM »
Braced myself to phone up the Department of Work and Pensions to handle the horror that is my National Insurance because of long-term illness. Turns out I need to pay about a quarter what I thought to make the gap up!

That's awesome!
Ontario

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #1931 on: March 19, 2017, 11:03:53 PM »
All snow is gone. My two raised beds are cleaned up, rototilled, added compost, and covered with clear plastic to warm the soil and kill weeds for the next month.  There are some 70 degree days forcasted in the next week or so.  That should get the temp nice and high. 

The soil amendments arrived from Amazon today. Got worm castings, biochar, and amazonite ready to go once it's time to plant. 

I am prepared with BT to kill any and all tomato hornworms (don't google them).  My favorite nursery is having a tomato tornado event at the end of April with a ton of heirloom tomatoes I really really want.  But I'd like to get them early as they need a good month ahead of the hybrids to fruit at the same time. 

Just need to get the livestock panels I'll be using as tomato cages from my supplier and I'll be good. 
Maryland

Chez Miriam

« Reply #1932 on: March 20, 2017, 09:05:00 AM »
We finally starting laying the hedge in front of our house.  It looks better that I thought, in one way [actually resembles a hedge], and just as bad as I expected in another [the garden feels naked :-[ and we can see all the cars driving down the road].  Sadly, the other end is virtually bald, so that's going to be a longer project [need to buy hedging whips before it's too late to plant them].  Keeping my fingers crossed that I can be back here posting: planted lots more hedge. :)
"All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of thing shall be well."  - Julian of Norwich

Outdoor Girl

« Reply #1933 on: March 20, 2017, 09:33:44 AM »
This weekend, like all our weekends, was crazy busy.

Saturday was going to a seminar about raising backyard chickens.  Well worth the time as it was very informative and we can look into what we are going to do.  We can have up to 4 hens, since we aren't rural.  I don't think we can be ready to go for this summer; I'm trying to convince DF that if we can work a bit this summer to be ready to go next year, we'll be doing well.  If we really enjoy it, we can go a little more into the business on DF's parents' property, as it is zoned agricultural.  But I'm thinking that's a retirement project...

Got back from that and I made applesauce.  While it was cooling, we took the dogs for a bath at the pet store that has stations set up.  They supply all the shampoo and the towels and the station with a wand shower head for $10 per dog.  Great, when you don't have a laundry sink.

DF tried to get our grill going but the burner is toast.  Have to order a new one.  From a company we'd really prefer not to do business with but it is foolish to go buy a whole new grill.  So he got my Dad's grill going just long enough to get dinner cooked.  Looks like Dad's grill needs a new burner, too.  At least we still have the little indoor grill!

In between, I was washing all the dog bedding and beds and the couch covers so we would have fresh clean stuff for fresh clean dogs.  Then I threw in a load of DF's work clothes.  And the washer died.  The drain was plugged.  With a combination of dog hair, fluff off the dog blankets, nuts and bolts and assorted detritus out of DF's pockets and the same out of the pockets of the previous owner.   ::)

So Sunday, DF took the washing machine apart and cleaned out the drain and the drain pump and put it all back together again, complete with a trip to the hardware store for new hose clamps.  Then he and my Dad installed some longer railings on the stairs at DF's parents' place, using the old railings to put along the walls for grab bars for his Dad.  And DF's Mom and I did a Costco run.

Unpacked the car, rewashed the one load of laundry that sat in the machine overnight, got two more loads done.  Towels and sheets will have to wait.  I don't have two sets of spare sheets and there isn't enough time in the evening to get a load washed, dried and the sheets put back on the bed.  Electricity price doesn't go down until 7:00 pm and we head to bed about 8:30, to be ready to sleep by 9:00 so we can get up at 4:45.   :P

All of you posting about garden stuff are making me anxious to get out there but it isn't mild enough here, yet.  About the most I can hope for is to give the yard a good raking to gather up all the leaves I missed in the fall and collect all the dog... stuff.  Anybody need some fertilizer for a non-edible garden bed?   ;D
Ontario