Author Topic: S/O PD Student Darwinism  (Read 231913 times)

Giraffe, Esq

Re: S/O PD Student Darwinism
« Reply #1365 on: August 03, 2014, 01:51:10 PM »

Wonder what they would think of the class my husband took in law school. They compressed a full semester course down to one (1) week! It was crazy but he passed.
OK, I suppose one could do 45 hours of lecture in one week, but I always thought that law school relied on a lot of out-of-class reading? Like 2-3 hours for every hour of class? So that if one had 45 hours of lecture, one would have 90-135 hours of reading? In a 168 hour week?
I'm imagining everyone arriving on Monday with huge coolers of Red Bull, just staying in the law school all week... ;D

At my law school, the "entire class in one week" was trial advocacy.  It has way less reading and more participation.  So there is still a ton of work -- at the end of the week, the students put on an entire trial, with opening statements, putting on witnesses, crossing the other side's witnesses, and closing statements -- but not the same way as a regular caselaw based class. 

My roommate did it while we were living together and she basically got about 3 hours of sleep a night all week, but I have consistently heard from everyone who did it that it was totally worth it. 

I took the regular semester class and, aside from not wanting the lack of sleep part, kind of wish I'd done the intensive, too.  I think, for trial advocacy, they learned a lot more and better than in the entire semester course.

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1366 on: August 03, 2014, 02:18:28 PM »
At my law school, the "entire class in one week" was trial advocacy.  It has way less reading and more participation.  So there is still a ton of work -- at the end of the week, the students put on an entire trial, with opening statements, putting on witnesses, crossing the other side's witnesses, and closing statements -- but not the same way as a regular caselaw based class. 

My roommate did it while we were living together and she basically got about 3 hours of sleep a night all week, but I have consistently heard from everyone who did it that it was totally worth it. 

I took the regular semester class and, aside from not wanting the lack of sleep part, kind of wish I'd done the intensive, too.  I think, for trial advocacy, they learned a lot more and better than in the entire semester course.

And it's much more similar to actual trial -- spend a week getting no sleep and cramming everything together into what you hope is a coherent whole at the end. :)

onikenbai

« Reply #1367 on: August 05, 2014, 02:59:05 PM »
Wonder what they would think of the class my husband took in law school. They compressed a full semester course down to one (1) week! It was crazy but he passed.

They do this with geology and geography courses all the time.  I did a geology field course where an entire semester was compressed into 10 non-stop days of field time with sampling in the field and lectures at night. Our assignments were not to fall in the volcano or glacier/off a cliff/otherwise die, keep a field book of the entire time of notes from the day and the lectures, complete a group project that we got in the morning and had to present after dinner, and then do a massive oral exam where anything said in the last 10 days was fair game and you had only your own field notes as study material before flying home.  It was both awesome and incredibly stressful.  The good part of it was as soon as you stepped on the airplane to go home you were done. No leftover papers or anything to hand in once you got home so it was 10 days of 12-14hr class time with a clear end.  I worked full time while finishing my degree so when I got back to work after and everybody asked me how my vacation was I nearly cried.  Sooooo not a vacation.

DoubleTrouble

« Reply #1368 on: August 05, 2014, 07:54:41 PM »

OK, I suppose one could do 45 hours of lecture in one week, but I always thought that law school relied on a lot of out-of-class reading? Like 2-3 hours for every hour of class? So that if one had 45 hours of lecture, one would have 90-135 hours of reading? In a 168 hour week?
I'm imagining everyone arriving on Monday with huge coolers of Red Bull, just staying in the law school all week... ;D

Yup, that was the one. He actually stayed at my aunt & uncle's place as it was close to the school & I doubt he even got 3 hrs of sleep, DH looked horrid when he got home. But doing that class helped shave a semester off his law school (he was working full-time as well) so it was worth it. Plus DH didn't plan to be a trial lawyer so if he didn't get the full benefit because he was zoned out he wasn't too concerned, he just needed to pass ;)

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #1369 on: August 06, 2014, 11:31:26 AM »
I took a library school class that was six days long, starting at 8am and ending at 6pm. Lunch break and two short breaks, but that was it. I was brain-dead on Sunday. But, I got three credits!
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1370 on: August 06, 2014, 06:46:51 PM »
I took a library school class that was six days long, starting at 8am and ending at 6pm. Lunch break and two short breaks, but that was it. I was brain-dead on Sunday. But, I got three credits!

May I ask what library school class that was?  Inquiring minds want to know. 

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #1371 on: August 07, 2014, 10:07:09 AM »
It was on federal libraries, and we went around to different ones each day- sometimes more than one.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

Jocelyn

« Reply #1372 on: August 08, 2014, 11:00:34 PM »
Today was the last day of summer school. I have been teaching an online class. Online classes are susceptible to cheating, if you leave the final exam open for too long, so I decided that mine would be open all day Thursday and until noon today.

At noon today, 5 students had not attempted the final. About 5 pm, I got a panicked email from one of them; she'd mistaken the time, thought she had until midnight (in her defense, midnight is the usual deadline for the class, although the noon deadline has been posted, highlighted in red, since Day 1 of the class). I agreed to let her take the exam...and put up ANOTHER red note to the other 4, saying that they should contact me ASAP. In this note I said that grades were going in at noon on Saturday, and they needed to contact me prior to that time or I would assume that they were not planning on taking the final.

One emailed me at 7:30, saying that he'd like to delay taking the exam until Sunday. I emailed him back and told him he had til midnight; if he'd been prepared to take it at 7:30, he doesn't need another 48 hours, which could be a fertile opportunity to get with another student and find out what was on the exam.

I have not heard from the other 3. One of them has pretty much given up on the class, and cannot pass even with the final, but the other two...both logged into the class AFTER noon today! And haven't emailed me begging for a second chance.

Margo

« Reply #1373 on: August 11, 2014, 06:27:32 AM »
Wow. I think in your position i would not even have agreed the extension until midnight!

Jocelyn

« Reply #1374 on: August 11, 2014, 10:34:07 PM »
Of the 5 students who didn't take the final, only the one who contacted me Friday afternoon took it. Nobody got with me in time to use their extension.

I'd've thought that in that situation someone might have been checking their email frequently, even having it roll over to their smartphone...
But Mr. Sunday would have had to have made 100% on the final to improve his grade, so I didn't feel very sorry for him.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #1375 on: August 12, 2014, 02:14:05 PM »
We had an applicant call, saying she didn't understand why her application had been sent to the review committee and then denied, because she had received her associates degree at the community college she attended.

I was asked to review the file, to see if the committee had made an incorrect decision, which does happen.

The student attempted 3 different math courses, and was not successful in any of the attempts (more than 6 attempts in total). We require two courses of college level English Composition, two courses of college level math and a foreign language in order for a student to transfer.

The community college and others have established a waiver system for people with difficulty in math. Which is how she got her associates degree without passing a math course.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1376 on: August 26, 2014, 10:20:05 AM »
Oh, do I have a candidate for this thread.

We have a student who has prior criminal charges that are light enough for him to be admitted, but he is on a conduct hold for the entire time he is at the university. He has turned in his financial aid paperwork very late, so late he is unlikely to get any aid until the middle of the semester. He thinks his aid is on hold due to other paperwork he turned in last week (everything was due in July for fall!). He sent an email stating that it is ridiculous that he can't pay his tuition or books or living expenses and that he will come to the office every day until he receives the money.

He also sent a threatening email to a staff member and is now going to be interviewed by the university police for making a threat.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1377 on: Yesterday at 01:23:23 PM »
New student. We had all of his documents, transcripts and everything. After being admitted in the spring, student attended another college over the summer and did poorly. We had to change his last school of record, and his gpa dropped quite a bit from his poor grades at that school. He is now on probation, even though this is his first term.