News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• February 19, 2017, 03:50:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: suggestions for wedding guest attire  (Read 496 times)

camlan

suggestions for wedding guest attire
« on: January 26, 2017, 09:57:28 AM »
So, I'm inviting to a wedding, and I have no idea what to wear. The details: Late May, Virginia, outdoor ceremony at 5 pm, then a "walk" of unknown length to another spot on the property to the reception. The reception will be outdoors, probably under a large tent. At least, that was what was on their wedding website a few months ago. All that info is gone now, and nothing is in its place.

No dress code has been provided, but I gather from the bride's Pinterest page that it is not a "jeans and flannel shirt in the barn" type of reception.

What would you wear to this? A formal chiffon and sequins type of dress seems out of place? I suspect the dress code is going to be either formal or semi-formal.

Could anyone point me towards ideas of what might be appropriate? I will have to shop for an outfit, as I have nothing in my closet now that would be remotely suitable. And I have no idea what the temperature will be like, if I'll need a jacket for later in the evening, etc. But I have no idea what I'm even looking for.
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

Venus193

• Backstage passes are wonderful things!
Re: suggestions for wedding guest attire
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2017, 10:00:05 AM »
A possibly long walk outdoors nixes anything longer than mid-calf as far as I'm concerned.  Will you be standing mostly on grass or what else?  That would influence choice of shoes.

sandisadie

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2017, 10:08:55 AM »
As a Virginia native my advice is that Virginia has many micro climates so what temperature it will be in the evening depends on exactly where in the state the wedding is being held.

Hmmmmm

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2017, 11:02:07 AM »
Have you received the invite yet? With it being 4 months out and having removed information on the website, I'd be wondering if their plans were having to be changed. I'd probably wait till closer to the event to select an outfit.

But if its turns out to be a outdoor wedding in Late May, I'd go with pretty mid calf skirt and dressy top, platform heels or flats.

Something like #3 of this slide show but with a flats or platform heels.  I'd also take a wrap in case it became cool.
[url][/http://www.marieclaire.com/fashion/g1843/what-to-wear-garden-wedding/?slide=3url]

I think it's also a good opportunity to wear wide leg pants with a dressy top. Something like this but maybe not a jumpsuit.
[url][/http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/sangria-colorblock-jumpsuit-plus-size/4516153?origin=keywordsearch-personalizedsort&fashioncolor=BLACK%2F%20IVORYurl]

Zizi-K

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2017, 11:23:41 AM »
If the invitation doesn't clarify when it arrives, I would see no problem in contacting the bride or bride or groom's mother (whichever person you know best) to inquire. They would know best what the "flavor" of the wedding is, so you don't have to guess.

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2017, 11:27:11 AM »
Because you do not know how far you will be expected to walk, or what terrain it will be, I would wear a pair of dressy pants, dress but sturdy boots or shoes, and a nice shirt, bringing a wrap or jacket in case it cools off.
“All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

Luci

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2017, 11:42:33 AM »
Because you do not know how far you will be expected to walk, or what terrain it will be, I would wear a pair of dressy pants, dress but sturdy boots or shoes, and a nice shirt, bringing a wrap or jacket in case it cools off.

I'm a generation older and 1200 miles farther north and agree with this. Sturdy shoes can look nice. I have to wear SAS.

Outdoor Girl

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2017, 11:54:53 AM »
I'd purchase something classy and versatile that you can dress up or down.  A version of a little black dress, though not necessarily black, with options for layering, as needed, if you are looking to buy something now.  Definitely stay away from heels, especially pointy ones, for any outdoor wedding but especially in late May when the ground might be softer.

If you can wait a bit, I'd be tempted to purchase something a little closer to the date when you have a better idea what the weather might be.

End of May is so dicey.  It could be sunny and beautiful and mid-60's or it could be sunny and hot and humid and an ugly mid 90's.  Or it could be spring's last gasp and be wet and miserable and low 40's.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

metallicafan

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2017, 12:30:02 PM »
You could wear a pretty dress in a floral or solid color. A sundress,  short sleeve,  or 3 quarter length sleeve would all work. Add a jacket or wrap as needed. Dressy flats, flat sandals, or Wedges. You could go open or closed toe depending on the weather and what you like.  A skirt and blouse would look nice too.  Dressy pants, like palazzo pants and a blouse or dressy top could work too.

cicero

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2017, 12:48:09 PM »
You might find some direction in this thread: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=141365.0 
I was looking for a dress for a wedding this summer.  Different area (ny/Hudson Valley) and also a bit later in the year,  but it  might help you.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools