News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• January 19, 2017, 03:22:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Merry Christmas/Hanukkah/Kwanzaa/festivus/winter solstice to all!  (Read 752 times)

jpcher

Re: Merry Christmas/Hanukkah/Kwanzaa/festivus/winter solstice to all!
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2016, 11:08:24 AM »
Happy holidays to everyone! I'm also extending (((hugs))) to those whose holidays aren't so happy.

Xmas eve dinner at my parents house was Chinese! My mothers homemade sweet & sour pork, so delicious! She makes it quite often for Xmas eve. I did not know that was a Jewish tradition (we're not Jewish) but I'll share this with my mother. She'll be very happy to learn that she's being diversified with her cooking. ;D

For dessert she served an absolutely divine croissant cheesecake with orange flavoring.

Xmas day we headed to DD#2's BFbob's mothers home and for dinner she served a wonderful filet roast with roasted asparagus and potatoes, with cucumber salad and cheesy/garlic biscuits. Quite the yummy feast!

The best part was spending quality time with people I love.

(Oh, and I didn't have to cook . . . I did, however, bring the wine. ;))

Thipu1

« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2016, 11:39:31 AM »
First of all, whatever holiday you choose to celebrate we hope it will bring you joy and peace!

For Christmas Eve we chose to make a cheese fondue.  We served it with summer sausage, broccoli, potatoes and home-made bread.

For Christmas dinner we made pork medallions with a raspberry sauce, herb roasted potatoes and panned spinach with garlic and oil.

Oh yes, we also had a cheesecake from Junior's.

cicero

« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2016, 03:32:18 PM »
Happy holidays to everyone! I'm also extending (((hugs))) to those whose holidays aren't so happy.

Xmas eve dinner at my parents house was Chinese! My mothers homemade sweet & sour pork, so delicious! She makes it quite often for Xmas eve. I did not know that was a Jewish tradition (we're not Jewish) but I'll share this with my mother. She'll be very happy to learn that she's being diversified with her cooking. ;D

Just to clarify that this is sort of an inside Jewish joke, not an ancient tradition. ;) Apparently,way back when, I think in the 50s, Jewish people who don't celebrate Christmas but had the day off, wanted to go out to eat and the only restaurants open were Chinese restaurants. So it became kind of a running joke that people go to the movies and eat Chinese food.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

magicdomino

« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2016, 04:55:56 PM »

Just to clarify that this is sort of an inside Jewish joke, not an ancient tradition. ;) Apparently,way back when, I think in the 50s, Jewish people who don't celebrate Christmas but had the day off, wanted to go out to eat and the only restaurants open were Chinese restaurants. So it became kind of a running joke that people go to the movies and eat Chinese food.

Sounds like a good tradition to me.  I keep threatening to have Chinese food for Christmas, but the closest I've gotten is trying my hand at Peking duck.

I went to my nephew's house for Christmas.  Aside from eating, we watched my great-nephew playing a video game -- half the time we were cheering for the monsters.   >:D  Niece-in-law and I also kept pointing out that all that rolling on hard flagstones takes energy and leaves bruises, while Nephew and G-N insisted that somersaulting for no apparent reason moves faster and no, it doesn't affect your health level.  Later, we watched a perfectly horrible horror movie named "Jack Frost."  By halfway through, I had been informed that I couldn't choose any more movies.   8)  Next was Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children, which was regarded as a much better movie, although Niece-in-law was disappointed that the children were merely peculiar and not X-Men type mutants.

I was disappointed that my other nephew couldn't come, but otherwise a good time was had by all.

Edited to straighten out the quotes.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2016, 08:24:42 PM by magicdomino »

gmatoy

« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2016, 06:01:51 PM »
Many years ago, my mother did the big meal and so I made breakfast for my family into "our" tradition. I do chocolate cinnamon rolls and drinks. So with DD and DSIL spending Christmas with his family, I only did the breakfast part this year.

Usually, since my mother retired from making the big meal, I do lasagna for Christmas day. It is put together the day before and just tucked into the oven on the day of. This year, I have declined to do that for either of the celebrations we are having here. Too tired with the chemo. Next year, though!