News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• May 28, 2017, 07:36:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Camping Comfort  (Read 1028 times)

FauxFoodist

Re: Camping Comfort
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2017, 02:28:42 PM »
http://www.cabelas.com/product/CABELAS-OUTFITTER-COT/1752509.uts?searchPath=%2Fbrowse.cmd%3FcategoryId%3D734095080%26CQ_search%3Dcots

My husband uses this cot with a 2 inch foam while camping and he's 6'3" and about 240.

Thank you for the link!  I'd been looking for a good cot for a while a few years ago, but all the reviews I read when searching for "best cot" (or something like that) really weren't very good so I gave up.

Harriet Jones

• Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2017, 03:06:52 PM »
Funny you should ask this. DH and I just did kayak camping this weekend which requires sleeping on rock sandbars in tents and needing to carry very little weight and gear. I've used pads and other inflatables that haven't really worked out well.

I wanted a better nights sleep so we bought these from Amazon. They stayed fully inflated from 10pm to 7:30am the next morning. Absolutely no air loss and the V shape really kept you from falling in between channels if you are a side sleeper like me and DH was really comfortable sleeping on his stomach.  They are a little narrow but were fine for us. I slept directly on mine and liked the texture of the mattress with my sleeping bag on top.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007RFG0NM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They blew up quickly and deflated quickly too.

Thanks for posting this! This looks good for some of my son's camping trips.

QueenfaninCA

« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2017, 07:21:06 PM »
Air mattresses are not intended for camping and do a lousy job insulating you from the cold ground. Get a mattress/pad that's designed for being used in a tent, either a fancy self-inflating foam mattress or a simple pad.

If you are providing sleeping bag, make sure they are warm enough (rated for at least 5 degrees lower than the coldest possible temperature that can be expected).

If you are cold when camping, you will sleep badly or not at all.

suzieQ

« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2017, 07:27:20 PM »
When I go camping, I like to have a foldable cot with a self-inflating foam mattress on top of it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ENUILB8/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Not air, but folding foam. Fits in my little hyundaii accent with no problem. Can also be used as a couch.

That's pretty neat.  Can you compress it down for storage/transport?
It's pretty firm foam. It might compress a little, I've never tried.

katycoo

« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2017, 11:42:29 PM »
We invested in a double-height air matress.  It is self inflating (via electricity but we purchased in inverter for the car) and is so much better.  Never deflates us anywhere near the ground and easy to top up the next day if necessary.  Totally worth it.

BabyMama

• Jamberry Nail Wraps
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2017, 07:23:01 AM »
Air mattresses are not intended for camping and do a lousy job insulating you from the cold ground. Get a mattress/pad that's designed for being used in a tent, either a fancy self-inflating foam mattress or a simple pad.

If you are providing sleeping bag, make sure they are warm enough (rated for at least 5 degrees lower than the coldest possible temperature that can be expected).

This'll be in July so we'll have to worry more about being too hot.

The folding foam looks promising, or the pads Hmmm shared. Maybe with an egg crate foam on top...

Thanks everyone!!

o_gal

« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2017, 08:20:44 AM »

This'll be in July so we'll have to worry more about being too hot.

You can buy an A/C unit for your tent: http://thetentairconditioner.com/top-2-tent-air-conditioners-camping/

My son's scoutmaster has one very much like the first one on that page.

Yes, the boys all try to find something that they need to discuss in private with Doc at least 1 time during camp week  ;D

BabyMama

• Jamberry Nail Wraps
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2017, 08:33:07 AM »
Oh my gosh, that looks amazing!!

My dad and uncles are all Boy Scouts (uncle is still heavily involved) so I know I get made fun of for wanting to be more comfortable, lol. Uncle still uses his sleeping bag from his Boy Scout days, and we all just got together for his 60th birthday.  :P