News: There is a new Ehell Kindness Project!  Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• September 26, 2016, 10:52:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: DECLUTTERING  (Read 123579 times)

gmatoy

Re: DECLUTTERING
« Reply #915 on: September 08, 2016, 04:53:55 PM »
After decades of looking for and replacing lost crafting tools, I finally got them organized yesterday.  I bought a back-of-the-door shoe bag and 2 back-of-the-door hooks and hung them on the back of the door to the bedroom I use for crafting.  The embroidery hoops are on the hooks.  Knitting needles and crochet hooks and all the other tools are in the shoe bag.  I even have a few spaces left over.  Everything is visible at a glance.

I am so impressed! Way to go! I may be having a lot of time to organize; however, I may not have the stamina. Some ideas like this may help me do it before I have the time off. Thank you!

JoW

« Reply #916 on: September 08, 2016, 05:20:51 PM »
I forgot to mention - the shoe bag is made from clear plastic.  Its a little harder to find but its essential so you can see what tool or group of tools is in each pocket. 

AvidReader

« Reply #917 on: September 09, 2016, 06:17:15 AM »
I bought a back of the door shoe bag to organize the tech stuff that was in a jumble in the closet in our office.  I'm talking about the various cords (computer, cable, hdmi, printer, extension), old head sets, spare mice, spare speakers, a telephone, etc. that DH can somehow not separate himself from. Will we ever again need the 20+ year old printer cable....the generation prior to usb and wireless?  That said, it was easy to find an old wired mouse to replace the wireless one that finally died.

mandycorn

« Reply #918 on: September 09, 2016, 10:55:53 AM »
After decades of looking for and replacing lost crafting tools, I finally got them organized yesterday.  I bought a back-of-the-door shoe bag and 2 back-of-the-door hooks and hung them on the back of the door to the bedroom I use for crafting.  The embroidery hoops are on the hooks.  Knitting needles and crochet hooks and all the other tools are in the shoe bag.  I even have a few spaces left over.  Everything is visible at a glance.

This is brilliant! I recently rediscovered my inherited stash of crochet hooks and knitting needles and have been at a loss for how to keep them organized (right now they're in pencil cups in my craft room and in my living room, and in the cedar chest in the entryway, depending on where I last used them).
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln 

LadyJaneinMD

« Reply #919 on: September 09, 2016, 11:54:18 AM »
Now that I'm unpacking into my own house, I'm finding a lot of tchotchkes that I forgot I had.  A lot of them haven't been unpacked for at least 4 years.   A lot of them are going straight into a box for donation.   

I'm also finding a lot of things that I'm glad I still have.   And a house to put them into.   ;D

jayhawk

• my organizing website
« Reply #920 on: September 09, 2016, 01:24:38 PM »
Those back of the door shoe bags are also great in the kitchen or pantry for stuff like water bottles, packaged snacks, etc.

gmatoy

« Reply #921 on: September 10, 2016, 02:22:02 AM »
I've decided that my mother needs some fabric donations so her scrappy quilts will continue to look scrappy.  ;)  Hey, I have to figure out some ways to contain the clutter and maybe part of that is getting some of it out of here.

Elisabunny

« Reply #922 on: September 10, 2016, 01:50:05 PM »

This is brilliant! I recently rediscovered my inherited stash of crochet hooks and knitting needles and have been at a loss for how to keep them organized (right now they're in pencil cups in my craft room and in my living room, and in the cedar chest in the entryway, depending on where I last used them).

Definitely brilliant!  Putting a shoe bag on my shopping list...
You must remember this: a ghoti is still a fish...

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #923 on: September 10, 2016, 05:39:19 PM »
I sold the rather dismal kit lens that came with my camera and replaced it with something lightyears better!  >:D
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien