News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• January 19, 2017, 05:28:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Not Going To Happen 'Cause I'm Not Harry Potter (Impossible Patron Requests)  (Read 1174351 times)

EmmaJ.

Re: Not Going To Happen 'Cause I'm Not Harry Potter (Impossible Patron Requests)
« Reply #4350 on: September 30, 2016, 11:53:45 AM »
I just read this weeks Post Secrets.  Someone sent in a postcard saying "I've seen crazier things working in a library than I ever did as a bartender."

I agree - you librarians are saints!

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
Re: Not Going To Happen 'Cause I'm Not Harry Potter (Impossible Patron Requests)
« Reply #4351 on: September 30, 2016, 03:22:46 PM »
B/G: We're undergoing renovations in the ER of the hospital I clean in. Right now, the trauma rooms, the receptionists' area, and the waiting room are all blocked off to patients and workers who aren't construction. We only have the staff bathrooms and the 4 "patient" bathrooms right now (2 of them can be used by visitors with patients, but 2 others are in patient rooms and so can't have anyone barging in, obviously), but no public bathrooms in the ER, because no regular waiting room with 2 bathrooms. Because of the renovations, registration is right next to the EMS entrance right now. [/end BG]

A man comes in the EMS entrance as I'm cleaning that part.

Tara*, one of the receptionists: Hi. Do you need to be seen?
Man: I need the bathroom.
Tara: Are you with a patient?
Man: No, but my wife just came in and used the restroom yesterday! (Me: Not ruddy likely, since the policy has been in place for more than a week at this point. If your wife somehow snuck by Registration and the two security officers, not to mention the 5 nurses, the secretary, and me, well, I commend her for having more wiles than a fox.)
Tara: We can't allow that. We're going through renovations right now, and we're trying to limit traffic through here to avoid confusion.
Man: But I have to go to the bathroom!
Tara: You can drive to the main entrance and go to the public bathrooms in the lobby.
Man: That's not fair!
Tara: ...Sir, you're the one who parked in the Emergency entrance just to use the bathroom.

At that point, I had to go clean other things, and didn't envy the security officer sitting right there who was probably going to have to have a nice talk with that man. It didn't seem like it was a life - or - death bathroom emergency, otherwise I'm sure we'd have let him. But why on this green earth would you drive to the back of the hospital just to use the bathroom that wasn't even open to random people in the first place?
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #4352 on: September 30, 2016, 11:57:52 PM »
B/G: We're undergoing renovations in the ER of the hospital I clean in. Right now, the trauma rooms, the receptionists' area, and the waiting room are all blocked off to patients and workers who aren't construction. We only have the staff bathrooms and the 4 "patient" bathrooms right now (2 of them can be used by visitors with patients, but 2 others are in patient rooms and so can't have anyone barging in, obviously), but no public bathrooms in the ER, because no regular waiting room with 2 bathrooms. Because of the renovations, registration is right next to the EMS entrance right now. [/end BG]

Man: No, but my wife just came in and used the restroom yesterday! (Me: Not ruddy likely, since the policy has been in place for more than a week at this point. If your wife somehow snuck by Registration and the two security officers, not to mention the 5 nurses, the secretary, and me, well, I commend her for having more wiles than a fox.)
Tara: We can't allow that. We're going through renovations right now, and we're trying to limit traffic through here to avoid confusion.
Tara: You can drive to the main entrance and go to the public bathrooms in the lobby.
Tara: ...Sir, you're the one who parked in the Emergency entrance just to use the bathroom.

At that point, I had to go clean other things, and didn't envy the security officer sitting right there who was probably going to have to have a nice talk with that man. It didn't seem like it was a life - or - death bathroom emergency, otherwise I'm sure we'd have let him. But why on this green earth would you drive to the back of the hospital just to use the bathroom that wasn't even open to random people in the first place?

Now violinp, what did we tell you about using logic... ::) ;D
Maryland

Chez Miriam

« Reply #4353 on: October 01, 2016, 01:27:21 AM »

;D ;D ;D
"All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of thing shall be well."  - Julian of Norwich

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #4354 on: October 01, 2016, 07:12:26 AM »

LOL.

Sad to say, this was the most logical thing that's happened there in a while. We had someone make a break for it out of the ER and have to be brought back (That multi - day saga is terrifying, and not something I can much elaborate on, because too much identifying information), we've had people wander into the main part of the ER because craziness of renovation (from the other way, not from the emergency entrance), and on Tuesday, we had nearly 100 people come through the ER when we usually have about 60 - 70. Sooo glad I have this weekend off.
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

Yarnspinner

« Reply #4355 on: October 21, 2016, 01:57:34 PM »
Dearly Otherwise Beloved Patron,

The computer copies what you put in.  I cannot help that when it prints out it doesn't look like what you want it to look like.  You have to make those changes yourself.  We have gone over this time and again.  This is why the other librarian and I cringe when we see you coming.

MissRose

« Reply #4356 on: October 25, 2016, 02:20:55 PM »
I got to love people who call in and ask for something without giving us a reason why...

MissRose: Business Customer Support, this is MissRose, how may I help you?

Customer: I demand a supervisor

MissRose: May I get some Y information so I can route your call to the correct group and its supervisor?

Customer: I demand a supervisor, my Y issue is not resolved.

MissRose: May I get some details such as your company name and/or a past ticket number so I can get you to the correct department and supervisor?

Customer: Did you hear me? I want a supervisor NOW

MissRose: Sir, we have many groups here.  I need to know which group will best be able to address your concerns.

After ranting a bit more, the customer gives me a past ticket # that is closed so I can determine where he needs to go. 

MissRose: Please allow me to open a new ticket then I can transfer the call to the correct group and ask them to get the supervisor on the line with the new ticket creation.

Customer: No, I don't want a new ticket at all.

I transferred him despite that our tech groups do not want customers to be transferred to them unless they have an existing open work order of some type that is not closed out or non existent.  Some customers have been like this person who think they can go around the process which is special snowflakey.  The customer spent more time ranting compared to the fact it would have taken 3 minutes to open a new ticket then if he asked, we can get him to the correct tech group immediately then from there he can demand the supervisor & complain from there.

MissRose

« Reply #4357 on: December 20, 2016, 07:42:08 AM »
I do tech support for an internet provider, and there are times customers will need to work with the upper level techs on their tickets.</end background>

I've had a few calls go like this lately, not sure why  ::)

Me: Company Support, this is MissRose, how may I help you?

Customer: I would like to talk to a tech please, transfer me to them.

Me: I need your ticket # so I can locate your detail and get you to the right person.

*A few customers will say, why do you need the ticket #, like I am a mind reader or something!

Eventually the customer will give the ticket # after a bit of prodding so I can either transfer directly to the tech assigned or to the correct queue for a different person in the same team if the assigned person is not available for any reason.

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #4358 on: December 20, 2016, 08:26:03 AM »
I have been assisting with calls for our online department for six weeks.

They recently hired another phone screener, so I now have two sending me call appointments.
Yesterday:
Scheduled me to call two different people at 2 PM, and again at 3:30 PM.
Scheduled me to call someone in California at 9 AM Eastern, which is our time zone. The person expected the call at 9 AM Pacific.

I had to send an email to the person in charge, and reminding him that they need to clarify time zones when making appointments and to not overlap, since each call can take up to 15 minutes.
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

whiterose

• From the good old US of A!
« Reply #4359 on: December 30, 2016, 03:50:14 PM »
Today, a customer asked me to take a test for him.

Not just help him translate answers.

Not just look up an answer or two that were not so easily available.

Not just assist with the meaning of a word here and there.

Actually take a test for him.

I refused- telling him that it was unethical. That, and we do not have time to do so anyway.
I have pet mice!