News: There is a new Ehell Kindness Project!  Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• May 05, 2016, 05:58:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Fitness Trackers...Tell me why you love/hate yours  (Read 7547 times)

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
Re: Fitness Trackers...Tell me why you love/hate yours
« Reply #60 on: April 26, 2016, 12:00:07 AM »
I got a Fitbit Charge a couple of months ago. I found it fun to use and very motivating  but was frustrated because it wouldn't track stationary biking which is my main gym exercise. Today I discovered if I rest the arm with the Fitbit on my leg while I bike the Fitbit registers one step for each pedal motion. That's good enough for me.
You can also strap the fitbit to your ankle.

My fitbit Charge doesn't quite fit all the way around my ankle to latch, but it stays put if I pull my gym sock up and over it while it's resting around my ankle.
It's best to love your family as you would a Siberian Tiger - from a distance, preferably separated by bars . -- Pearls Before Swine (16-May-2009)

crazycatlady331

« Reply #61 on: April 26, 2016, 06:23:58 PM »
I have a fitbit charge that I've had for about 6 months and I wear it every day.  I had a Striiv Band (which on paper was great as it had a game built into the app that you couldn't get items for unless you walked, but alas the thing was a piece of excrement.  It was on clearance for $13 from $100 and I know why) and used the S-Health app on my Galaxy.  Cons of the phone app is your phone has to be on your person for the steps to count, and I dropped and broke my screen that way (wearing something without pockets). 

Pros
Holds me accountable (I should go get my final steps in after I post this)
Pretty accurate
I like the social aspect.  But I beat out a group on challenges so they stopped inviting me.

Cons
I wish it came in a more feminine color.  Mine's slate blue, and the only choices offered were drab neutrals.  At least make a changeable band.
The rubber sometimes irritates my skin when left on for an extended period of time.  This is why I no longer track my sleep because I'd wake up with a rash on my wrist.
Proprietary charging cable which I'm screwed if I lose.  It seems that all the fitbit models have different cables.

Outdoor Girl

« Reply #62 on: April 27, 2016, 10:38:49 AM »
Depending on how old your Charge is, you may have gotten a band with latex in it, which is causing your rash.  Contact Fitbit and ask them to replace the band with a new, latex-free one.  They changed them out after they started getting complaints.

I get a reaction to the nickel in the clasp if it touches my skin for an extended period.  Only happened when I wore my night time wrist guards over the Fitbit, which I solved by wearing the Fitbit on top of the guard.  The large band *just* fits over my guard.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

Lorelei_Evil

« Reply #63 on: April 28, 2016, 02:16:43 PM »
They make bangle bracelets that fit over your Charge now, too. I saw them on Woot recently.

DanaJ

« Reply #64 on: April 29, 2016, 09:18:43 AM »
I like my Fitbit Flex.  Although I wish I had the new Fitbit Charge, which has a watch on it. You're supposed to wear it on your non-dominant wrist and it's not comfortable to also wear a watch.

This is the issue I have with my Flex as well. I have a watch that I like very much and I wear it all the time. You're right, it does not get along well with the Flex. The online web widget let's you specifiy that you're wearing it on your dominant hand though. However, I once had it celebrate 10,000 "steps" as a result of stirring spaghetti sauce rather than walking.

In general, I use the online web tools more than I really care about the steps the tracker is counting. I log a lot of activities the tracker doesn't really count properly (like if I'm on a stationary bike). I also used the software to log everything I ate in order to successfully track down a mild food intolerance.

As for the tracker itself, I get a lot of garbage results because I cycle to work. The problem isn't that I'm on the bike, but that vibrations through the handle bars set off certain functions that are triggered by tapping. For example, to track your sleep manually, you can tap your Flex until you feel it vibrate right when you get to bed. When I'm cycling there is a particularly shoddy road that is bumpy and I get all kinds of vibrations from the Flex which thinks it's being tapped like crazy. Then it shows crazypants stuff in the sleep logs.

I blieve the "tapping" from the cycling is also what results in a lot of zero logs. I get lots of entries for: "0 steps, 0 duration, 0 cals".

I like my Flex just fine because I don't rely on it for anythig in detail. If I move on to something more advanced, it will probably be much more advanced like a traithlon tool that I could use for distance bike rides and swimming. But that's going to be a long ways away from now.

lovestoread

« Reply #65 on: May 01, 2016, 12:11:46 PM »
I got a fitbit Charge HR. I'm happy with it overall. I run and walk, so it works well for my needs. I also like all the logging features I can use online and on my phone. I have the app on my phone, and my fitbit also is synced with Weight Watchers.

A downside for me is that it appears no one I know has a fitbit, so I'm still alone out there. The challenge of competing against friends just isn't there, so I'm missing some potential motivation. DH's birthday is in a couple of weeks, and I'm going to get him a fitbit. Maybe that will help both of us to be more motivated.
If you'd like I can send you my email address via PM and you can add me in fitbit. I can add you to my weekly challenge group (it can range from 5 to 10 people depending on who is in the mood to compete) :D

Hi, just hopping in to say can I join this group? I've just got a Fitbit Charge but none of my friends have one, so I don't have anyone to compete against!!

My first real blog!!  (all comments appreciate

crazycatlady331

« Reply #66 on: May 02, 2016, 10:12:40 AM »
This is my Fitbit profile if anyone wants to compete against me.

https://www.fitbit.com/user/3RPX8V

Syfygeek

« Reply #67 on: May 02, 2016, 01:00:15 PM »
I just bought a Misfit Flash a couple of weeks ago and I love it. I wear it on my shoe with the clip, or on my wrist with the band. At night I wear the band or clip it to my jammie pants. It's waterproof, and I've dropped it a couple of times with no problems.

I downloaded the app to my phone and tablet, and linked it to My Fitness Pal (and I hadn't been on MFP in months)

I'm loving it, I've lost 2 pounds, and the misfit is under 40 bucks on Amazon.

Updating my opinion on the Misfit Flash. After a year, I hate it. 2 broken bands. 3 batteries. Won't sync to my tablet, only my phone- and the phone is not the one I originally had it linked to, but the tablet is . Not tracking steps accurately- there's no ankle strap available, and I've looked for one, tried to make one, etc. There is a clip you can attach, but it broke after 6 months. Now I have a little pouch you can tie to your shoelace, but it's a pain to get in and out.

So, it was 40 bucks on Amazon- wish I'd saved my money and bought something better.
That's my purse! I don't know you!

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
« Reply #68 on: May 02, 2016, 11:28:52 PM »
I got a fitbit Charge HR. I'm happy with it overall. I run and walk, so it works well for my needs. I also like all the logging features I can use online and on my phone. I have the app on my phone, and my fitbit also is synced with Weight Watchers.

A downside for me is that it appears no one I know has a fitbit, so I'm still alone out there. The challenge of competing against friends just isn't there, so I'm missing some potential motivation. DH's birthday is in a couple of weeks, and I'm going to get him a fitbit. Maybe that will help both of us to be more motivated.
If you'd like I can send you my email address via PM and you can add me in fitbit. I can add you to my weekly challenge group (it can range from 5 to 10 people depending on who is in the mood to compete) :D

Hi, just hopping in to say can I join this group? I've just got a Fitbit Charge but none of my friends have one, so I don't have anyone to compete against!!
I'd love to add you, unfortunately my Fitbit Charge's band broke. I've got a replacement on the way (sent free of charge by Fitbit when I first complained about the cover peeling several months ago) but they don't deliver to South Africa, so I had to have it delivered to a friend in Australia, who is coming over for a wedding in October, so I have no Fitbit until October.  :(
It's best to love your family as you would a Siberian Tiger - from a distance, preferably separated by bars . -- Pearls Before Swine (16-May-2009)