Author Topic: Your "I'm not that old!!!" moments  (Read 12134 times)

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
Re: Your "I'm not that old!!!" moments
« Reply #225 on: July 09, 2014, 11:05:32 PM »
Babybartfast is obsessed with all things superhero - preferably female - so she wants a Powerpuff Girls cake for her birthday.  (Powerpuff Girls is on Netflix instant and is a fantastic show for kindergarten-aged wannabe superhero girls, by the way!)  So I go online figuring hey, the show's been off the air for a few years, but surely I can find some action figures or something for a cake topper, right?  They were in Happy Meals and whatnot . . .

Yeah, they were.  More than 20 years ago.  I did find a set on eBay, but I'm having to have the figures shipped from three different states and it took forever to find all three girls from the same run of toys (so similar size and design).  And I ended up paying ~2x what I was expecting for them.

Hope she gets some play with them afterward . . .

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #226 on: July 10, 2014, 05:39:46 PM »
Had a discussion with my oldest son recently about Pokemon, which came out when my brother was around 9, I think, somewhere around there.  We were discussing how only the Legendary Pokemon can speak something other than their own name.  I said "Well, Pikachu can still only say his name" and was informed that Pikachu is not legendary.  Considering how long he's been around, how can he not be legendary after all this time?
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

afbluebelle

• Super Hero!
  • Saving the world one squirrelbot at a time
« Reply #227 on: July 11, 2014, 03:29:08 PM »
I went to high school in the 1970s, and 1950s nostalgia was just starting to become a thing -- we had '50s dances where we dressed up in poodle skirts and "greaser" getups.

I feel ancient when I realize that the equivalent for today's high-schoolers is '90s nostalgia.

The above sentence just made me feel old... The 90s just happened!
My inner (r-word) is having a field day with this one.
-Love is Evol: Christopher Titus-

cattlekid

« Reply #228 on: July 11, 2014, 05:48:38 PM »
I got a senior citizens discount at a takeout joint last week.

I'm 43 years old and due to fantastic genetics (thanks Mom and Grandma!)  and staying out of the sun, I don't yet have any crows feet or other facial wrinkles.

I'm going to chalk it up to cashier error....I hope.

Today we ordered a soft serve cone each at the drive through.  The person quoted us a price.

At the window she charged us much less.  I questioned this and she said; " I gave you the senior citizens discount."

cattlekid

« Reply #229 on: July 11, 2014, 05:53:13 PM »
Oh, here's another good one. 

A relative of DH's graduated college this past spring and just got engaged.

DH informed me that due to our family relationships and the language of his family of origin, if she and her fiance have children, they will refer to us as Grandpa and Grandma cattlekid.

She's going to med school so I hope she puts off the kids until long past med school, residency and the rest of the kit and kaboodle involved in becoming a doctor.  By then, I *might* be okay with being called someone's grandmother.

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #230 on: July 11, 2014, 06:21:06 PM »
When I was working in an office full of young people I made a comment about listening to Three Dog Night on my way to work.  One of my co-workers said, "I know who they are - my mom has one of their albums!"  He then told me his mother was 37.  I was 42 at the time. 

I'm now 55, and a great aunt twice and a future great aunt (baby coming in December.)  I keep my three nephews in line by reminding them that I've washed their faces and changed their diapers, and am not above telling stories about when they were toddlers.  Works like a charm.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #231 on: July 11, 2014, 06:53:09 PM »
I went to high school in the 1970s, and 1950s nostalgia was just starting to become a thing -- we had '50s dances where we dressed up in poodle skirts and "greaser" getups.

I feel ancient when I realize that the equivalent for today's high-schoolers is '90s nostalgia.

I got tired of 50's parties (never went to one - just tired of hearing about them) - we had first a 60s party and then a M*A*S*H party (not yelling - that's the way the TV show's name is written) in the early 1980s.  They were fun!

Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Xandraea

« Reply #232 on: July 11, 2014, 10:04:35 PM »

I got tired of 50's parties (never went to one - just tired of hearing about them) - we had first a 60s party and then a M*A*S*H party (not yelling - that's the way the TV show's name is written) in the early 1980s.  They were fun!

I went to an 80's themed party once, and happily googled 80's fashion to get costume ideas. I ended up wearing a tie-dyed tshirt, barrettes with ribbons woven through and dangling with beads at the bottom, and jeans. Most of the others who showed up did the preppy look, with button-down shirts, sweaters over the shoulders with wrists tucked together. It seemed we remembered the 80s very differently! I would have thought they were all several years older than me, but it wasn't that big an age gap. If I had suitable available, I'd have worn a huge (knee-length) oversized tshirt with leggings and gel shoes, as that's what I really remember wearing back then.  ;D

amandaelizabeth

• Amanda's home based ece
« Reply #233 on: July 11, 2014, 11:15:48 PM »
I turned 60 earlier this year.  I asked my mother why she did not ring and wish me a happy birthday.
'I am not old enough to have a child who is 60!'

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #234 on: July 12, 2014, 01:39:34 PM »
An 80's party? Hammer pants, preferably in gold lamé.  8)

andi

« Reply #235 on: July 12, 2014, 07:26:43 PM »
AC/DC music in the new Disney movie. I wasn't even allowed to listen to them as a teen

poundcake

« Reply #236 on: July 13, 2014, 05:48:51 AM »

I give up.

Miss Cathy

« Reply #237 on: July 13, 2014, 10:53:47 AM »
At an historic building, I approached the ticket desk with my friend and asked for "A single ticket", so they would know we were paying separately. When she paid, her ticket cost more and we went back to the desk to let them know she'd been overcharged. No, her ticket was the right price for an adult ticket. Mine was cheaper because it was "a senior ticket". I insisted on paying the difference! My friend of course, thought it was hilarious. :D

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #238 on: July 13, 2014, 11:49:11 AM »
A couple months ago, I was talking with my mom about some of the music I remembered listening to while growing up and I remembered this CD that I loved.  I grew up in Colorado, and the radio station KBCO out of Boulder put out a CD every year of some of their live performances from various artisits.  I loved their first retrospective album, volume 7, which came out while I was in high school.  I went to go look it up and see if I could find it for sale anywhere - found out the release date was 1996.  It's not that bad compared to some I've seen here, but I'm highly depressed to realize that I was in high school nearly 20 years ago.  It doesn't seem that long!