News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• July 22, 2017, 09:56:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Thrift Score!  (Read 296315 times)

cicero

Re: Thrift Score!
« Reply #1395 on: June 25, 2017, 11:52:08 AM »
Not *thrift* but I bought three skirts, one pair of white jeans, and two sports bras for $60 yesterday.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

vintagegal

« Reply #1396 on: June 26, 2017, 06:51:01 AM »
Flea market Saturday, got a tote's worth of quilting fabric for $5. Also at a yard sale, an unfinished (needs binding) baby quilt for $5, and a Limoges plate for $.25.

L

« Reply #1397 on: June 26, 2017, 11:19:48 PM »
At the swap meet a couple of Wednesdays ago I saw a seller with seriously discounted jadeite dishes. I ended up buying five dinner plates, five salad plates and five (presumably) dessert plates, all for less than $50. What is interesting is that I have been thinking seriously about these for two reasons: my home is a lot of greens and I believed that dinnerware in the mid-century was smaller in size because portions were smaller. (And so the latter proved by holding them up to my current dinnerware.) I will use these every day.

Later, I found a malachite necklace, round beads strung like pearls. This is real, being very heavy, and they are gorgeous stones. They were marked at $75 so I put them down almost immediately, but the woman said, "Make me an offer." I hesitated because I didn't have and didn't want to spend more than $20 but I also had no intention of insulting her by offering her that. She continued to insist on an offer and finally said to me, "How about $20?" SOLD!

littlelauraj

« Reply #1398 on: June 27, 2017, 06:45:30 AM »
I'm making myself a sewing room and really want a corner desk/table for my sewing table.  I thought maybe I could make something out of repurposed kitchen cabinets so last weekend hubby and I went to the restore.  We looked all around and really didn't see anything that was suitable until we rounded the last corner.  There was this massive desk unit all in pieces.  Two drawer units, one long drawer for the middle, and a shelf unit/hutch.  No desk top, but I want to make my own.  All made out of mostly solid wood, drawers all work really well.  $65.00 and I'm in heaven.  Can't wait to finish putting it all together!

vintagegal

« Reply #1399 on: June 27, 2017, 08:28:42 AM »
got another nightstand for $5, this one does not need refinishing. I will use the first one I got for storage of sewing supplies as it has 4 shelves.

Oh, and an Olfa rotary cutter for 25 cents.

StarDrifter

• I never tell people exactly how smart I am
« Reply #1400 on: June 29, 2017, 01:34:59 AM »
a Fiskars rotary cutter and two spare blades for $2! I was so happy that I was just going to walk out of the thrift shop with just that, but tucked it under my wing and kept looking.

Found balls of wool for 30c each (got six!) and fabric offcuts for between 20c and $1 each - I walked out having spent $12.50 and had two large calico bags filled to bursting.
... it might frighten them.
Victoria,

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #1401 on: June 29, 2017, 08:07:24 AM »
I got an email offer for a photo printed on canvas 30x40" for $28. I had one of my aquatic landscapes printed on it, and from ordering Saturday to delivery yesterday, I am very pleased. Now just have to move furniture so we can hang it!
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

snowfire

« Reply #1402 on: June 29, 2017, 10:19:20 AM »
Not me, but it came in to the store where I work.  A woman had bought a bag of costume jewelry at a yard sale for $15. In among the other items was a diamond solitaire pendant.  Mid range quality, but wholesale for a comparable stone would be about $1200.00, not even counting the mounting and chain.

vintagegal

« Reply #1403 on: June 30, 2017, 07:41:02 AM »
now that's a score!! I bought a tin of costume jewelry once for 50 cents - I just wanted the tin but the seller said I could have everything in it as well. There were two chunky earring backs, 14K gold, as well as other good stuff.
got another nightstand for $5, this one does not need refinishing
Forgot to mention, the best feature of this nightstand is that you can put about an 18" pile of books on the bottom shelf, with an almost equally spacious middle shelf.

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #1404 on: June 30, 2017, 08:29:49 AM »
now that's a score!! I bought a tin of costume jewelry once for 50 cents - I just wanted the tin but the seller said I could have everything in it as well. There were two chunky earring backs, 14K gold, as well as other good stuff.
got another nightstand for $5, this one does not need refinishing
Forgot to mention, the best feature of this nightstand is that you can put about an 18" pile of books on the bottom shelf, with an almost equally spacious middle shelf.[/b]

Unless you have a cat, who considers it the cat shelf.

I will be ordering more sisal rope to re-wrap the cat tree post for my feline overlords.
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

vintagegal

« Reply #1405 on: June 30, 2017, 08:34:18 AM »
no cats :'( just books. My sister has 3 cats and lives in a house with old post and beam construction. The cats decided they like one particular 12" x 12" post in the kitchen for scratching, so my sister just gave up and they wrap it in old carpeting to a height of about 5'. Which the cats regularly attain, even the fat old one.

Black Delphinium

• The Black Flower
« Reply #1406 on: June 30, 2017, 03:56:51 PM »
$30 got me 2 medium sized Star Wars Tsum Tsums(Yoda for our house, R2-D2 as a baby gift for Simkin's boss), a pair of Baymax PJs, a The Force Awakens beach towel, a BB-8 rash guard for next summer and the matching swim trunks(they were sold separately) all from the clearance section of the Disney Store.
When angels go bad, they go worse than anyone. Remember, Lucifer was an angel. ~The Marquis De Carabas