Author Topic: Hoarders I Have Known  (Read 13417 times)

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
Re: Hoarders I Have Known
« Reply #165 on: November 14, 2014, 04:22:32 PM »
walk-in closet

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #166 on: November 14, 2014, 05:04:48 PM »

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #167 on: November 14, 2014, 11:26:45 PM »
I was a little worried about that, too, because several of the hoarding sites talk about having rooms that can't be used for their intended use.

We have a 4-bedroom house.  Two of the bedrooms are for storage.  However, for us, that *is* their intended use (we bought the house with that use in mind).  The house has no attic, and we plan on renting out the basement, so those two bedrooms are our major storage areas.  One room is completely packed out, with neatly-stacked and labeled boxes of things that are not for long-term storage and aren't for frequent use (large baby items like the bassinet and swing, etc., when right now we're between babies).  The other room is lined on two sides with large plywood shelves that are full of storage bins, with a third wall having some boxes that don't fit on shelves.  The center of the room is available for use, though, and it serves as our "guest room" (we keep the air mattress there and the sheets/pillows in the closet of that room).  So while you could say that neither is serving its intended use in terms of a bedroom, they're both serving *our* intended use for them.

We do have an exit that is occasionally (okay, more than occasionally) blocked, because it's the garage door, and it comes off the laundry room.  The laundry room having very little floor space, I often end up having laundry all over the floor and it's annoying to get to the exit.  But we don't use that exit before, because our garage is not a garage.  Not our fault, due to modifications by the previous owners (cutting off one end of it to install said laundry room), the garage is no longer deep enough to fit a vehicle.  So on our paperwork for our house, it's listed as an "attached shed."  Heh.  Eventually my husband would like to fix that, so we can sell the house as having an attached garage, but not yet.

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #168 on: November 15, 2014, 05:10:01 AM »
I watch the hoarding TV shows and they always inspire me to clean something up, as I could see myself becoming a hoarder if I wasn't careful.

However, the shows haven't addressed one thing I was curious about. For those who hoard trash items or items 'because they can be used someday' does recycling the items help with the separation? I've always wondered if it helps if you know the item you are parting with is helping someone else.
with the hoarders or semi hoarders that I know - no. Because the thought of recycling the item just becomes another link in the chain., Now there is a new issue to deal with. For example, my step mother: she would finally gi thru some box or two of old pots and pans  ( and by old I mean old, dented, missing handles, pot without cover, cover without pot, etc), and then she would agree to part with a few items, and then she would start calling her children, her grandchildren, her step children, her nieces and nephews, to see if someone wants it.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #169 on: Yesterday at 06:09:59 PM »
After DS left this morning to spend a week with the in-laws, DH and I made major strides in the getting rid of stuff project. A salvaged shelf (only two shelves) was replaced with a shelf unit with 5 shelves and we are moving all canned goods/dry goods from the house onto it. Extra appliances go to the bottom shelf, canned food is organized by type and then by expiration date and we will have completely clear counters and table tops! I'm so excited!

crella

« Reply #170 on: Yesterday at 06:52:14 PM »
After DS left this morning to spend a week with the in-laws, DH and I made major strides in the getting rid of stuff project. A salvaged shelf (only two shelves) was replaced with a shelf unit with 5 shelves and we are moving all canned goods/dry goods from the house onto it. Extra appliances go to the bottom shelf, canned food is organized by type and then by expiration date and we will have completely clear counters and table tops! I'm so excited!

That sounds great! It's so good to make progress organizing!

poundcake

« Reply #171 on: Today at 08:22:08 AM »
I watch the hoarding TV shows and they always inspire me to clean something up, as I could see myself becoming a hoarder if I wasn't careful.

However, the shows haven't addressed one thing I was curious about. For those who hoard trash items or items 'because they can be used someday' does recycling the items help with the separation? I've always wondered if it helps if you know the item you are parting with is helping someone else.

The friend I knew who hoarded had two problems. One of them was the idea that a lot of what she had ("collectibles") in the loosest sense, might be valuable. The other is that she had things she wanted to give to this person or that person, or things that she thought this person might like, when she could someday get to it. She had a lot of esteem and value built up in the idea that she has what might be a special, potentially valuable collectible, like a bag of old Happy Meal toys for a friend's kid, or a concert tour t-shirt from a band that she knows a friend might like. The idea that she should give it to someone else, especially to something impersonal like a donation, was anxiety-inducing for her. It reminds me a bit of the OP in the thread about the parent who insists every year that "The presents are on the way!" It's like some sort of proof of friendship and this friend's value to others, "the thought that counts." In a backwards way, a chunk of her hoard was a visible way of her saying to her friends "Look how much I care about you! I'm saving this for you!" because all of the things she valued had been given away so many times.