Author Topic: Need Christmas gift ideas, please!  (Read 536 times)

katiescarlett

Need Christmas gift ideas, please!
« on: October 22, 2014, 06:15:31 PM »
3 years ago, my sister gave birth to a 4 month old baby boy.  Obviously, he was too young to make it.  None of us got to see him, and she didn't want to see him when he was born.  Later, they wouldn't let her.  However, a nurse went down to the pathology lab and got his little footprints and his right hand print for her.  He had my sister's feet!  High arches just like her, all ten perfect toes and 5 perfect fingers on his right hand.  The nurse said he was a perfectly formed baby boy.  My sister carried the card they made her with his prints on it around in her wallet.  Last year, someone stole her wallet, and Jude's footprints were in it.  She had several ultrasounds, which unfortunately got lost during her divorce and the separation of their household goods, but I just remembered I think I have some of those images on my old phone (maybe). 

Can y'all think of something I could do with those images, if I can find them, as a gift for her for Christmas?  Or something different, if I cannot find them, to commemorate the baby somehow?  She has nothing of him since the footprints are gone.  Luckily, my mom had a friend at a local funeral home make us all bookmarks out of copies of the original card, but my sister wants the one that his feet actually touched.  Since that can never be recovered, I would like to do something else to help keep the little guy's memory alive.  Any suggestions?

SheltieMom

Re: Need Christmas gift ideas, please!
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2014, 11:40:07 PM »
Maybe a ceramic Christmas ornament? Anyplace that has a photo developing place (Walmart, Walgreens, CVS, etc.) will be able to make all kinds of things with them. Maybe a picture on one side, and the footprints on the other?
If Timmy had had a Sheltie, he never would have fallen in that well!

buvezdevin

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2014, 01:00:52 AM »
In the situation as described, I would not gift something using a meaningful, but lost image/photo.

If you have an image which you can locate, that replaces a lost image meaningful to your sister - offer her the image/photo and let her decide what and how she wishes to use it.   And only offer it after you have located it.
Never refuse to do a kindness unless the act would work great injury to yourself, and never refuse to take a drink -- under any circumstances.
Mark Twain

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2014, 07:27:51 AM »
are you sure she would want something like that? I've never been through something that traumatic, thankfully. But I think there is a difference between holding his hospital card in her wallet and having a more tangible *thing* as a reminder and she may not want it. I agree with Buvezdevin - if you can locate the images then tell your sister and ask her what she wants. Personally, and again - i've not been in your/her shoes - I would sooner do something to help others going through similar situations, donate money/coffee/futons to the nurses in neonatal clinics, etc.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

katiescarlett

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2014, 10:57:45 PM »
I didn't think about that.  I just know she wanted those prints back, and thought it might help.

Thank you.

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: Yesterday at 02:55:22 AM »
I didn't think about that.  I just know she wanted those prints back, and thought it might help.

Thank you.
And I didn't say this before - but lots of hugs. I know that this is and was a very traumatic experience for your family.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Carotte

« Reply #6 on: Yesterday at 05:26:13 AM »
Since a name was choosen and used, why not something with the letter J , like a keychain or an ornament ? It could be a sweet but simple/discreet  reminder and depending on the object be also engraved with the foot prints.

Coley

« Reply #7 on: Yesterday at 08:38:59 AM »
OP, I understand where your heart is in this. It's hard to say what your sister might want as far as a keepsake. I agree with buvezdevin about offering her the u/s images if you have them. Those images could be such a gift by themselves. She could decide how she wants to use them.

katiescarlett

« Reply #8 on: Yesterday at 09:00:02 AM »
Those are good ideas!  Thanks!  I am on the hunt for the pics.  I am getting ready to move out of state and many things have temporarily disappeared.  And thank you, Cicero, for the hugs.  She may not have been pregnant with Jude for long, but he was loved and wanted and should be here as a smart two year old (if born at right time, he would be 3 next Feb) playing with his big brother.