News: There is a new Ehell Kindness Project!  Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• September 29, 2016, 05:22:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Update: MIL and the Pool  (Read 8033 times)

Susiqzer

Re: Update: MIL and the Pool
« Reply #45 on: August 30, 2016, 12:30:46 PM »
Oh, my. You showed extreme reserve, so happy it has paid off so far. I would probably have picked up MIL and thrown her into the deep end of the pool. Hey, it's not a big deal. Nothing will happen, right? If she were fully dressed and freshly coiffed, all the better. I belong in Etiquette Hell, for sure. I probably would have rescued her. Eventually. Child endangerment is a crime, and should be.  Your way, I admit, produced results without quite as much drama. (Having trouble stuffing Evil Copper back into the box).

Oh, there just hasn't been drama yet. I think that we may be getting the silent treatment (or, as I like to think of it, an early Christmas present) right now, but I'm sure that someone will throw a big old tantrum at some point. I'm just so incredibly glad that it won't be me!!

Just posting to ask: how are things going lately?

Sorry for the delayed response - we just got back from our wifi-free vacation!

Things are going really, really well.

MIL has been especially quiet, which is lovely. We went over there for lunch a couple of weeks ago and it was pretty obvious that she was holding back, but she did mostly hold back. (She's a yeller on a normal day, so it's kind of hard to tell...) FIL isn't the type to hold a grudge, and I think that he understands our position even if he believes we're being over-protective.

Overall, I'd say that relations have cooled. DH seems a little less apt to say "how high?" when they tell him to jump.

Thankfully he's through that initial cranky phase, and we've had some really good conversations lately. I feel like we're more on the same team, and I'm no longer walking on eggshells when it comes to discussing his mother's behavior.

And DD starts school this week, so we are through the summer without incident! The pool will be closed within a couple of weeks, and I'm not worrying about it again until next year.

Chez Miriam

« Reply #46 on: August 30, 2016, 03:56:46 PM »
That's a brilliant update, Susiqzer, thanks for letting us know.

Here's hoping your husband continues to be less "jumpy", and your MIL remains quiet! ;)
"All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of thing shall be well."  - Julian of Norwich

NFPwife

« Reply #47 on: September 13, 2016, 10:59:40 AM »
Fantastic update! Here's to a successful school year for your DD.