News: There is a new Ehell Kindness Project!  Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here:   

• November 29, 2015, 11:53:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: s/o Ancestry websites -- Ancestry DNA testing?  (Read 1892 times)

Re: s/o Ancestry websites -- Ancestry DNA testing?
« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2015, 09:16:50 AM »
My uncle had it done, and it came out with a significant East Asian component. Which is confusing, because we've done the family-tree thing back for about 200 years, and it's all Scots-Irish-English-French.

Could East Asian indicate Native American ancestry? Either way, it could be something on the other side of his family (that he doesn't share with you), if that hasn't been documented; or, it could be something that happened prior to 200 years ago and by chance hung around; or potentially, even an ancestor who didn't make it into the official record, like an extramarital affair.

That's of course quite possible. It would be ironic if our family has Native Canadian blood but doesn't have a family legend about it!

We also have a particularly high percentage of Neanderthal genes for some reason.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Re: s/o Ancestry websites -- Ancestry DNA testing?
« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2015, 05:35:39 PM »
I had mine done last year.  They send you a testing kit and all you have to do us spit in a cup and mail it back.  The results told me mostly what I already knew (Hungarian/French/Irish), but I also found out we have Spanish blood.  I get the biggest kick out of that. :)
A sailor from the Spanish Armada washed up in Ireland? :)

I am a descendant of at least one of those sailors, and it was confirmed by the test. 

I used the ancestry test, and found the ethnic results quite interesting.  They weren't quite what I thought that they would be - but have opened new channels of interest.  I've been able to contact some 3rd and 4th cousins through the profiles, too.  Our branch of the family had lost track of many others.

FYI - Several times recently has had their test 20% off online.  If cost is a factor, one could keep an eye on the price for when there is a markdown.