Author Topic: S/O I'm Never Shopping There - What Businesses Will Forever Have Your Patronage?  (Read 46070 times)

GlitterIsMyDrug

Carl's Jr! I don't go often, but anytime I do I always get the nicest people, and they have yet to mess up an order

I was reminded again last week why we always stay at Embassy Suites when budget/location allows.

Traveling with DP in her chair and with Schroder the wonder-service-dog, we encounter everything from the manager at McDonalds in Arkansas that didn't understand that there were service dogs besides seeing eye dogs, and we finally had to just tell him, yes he's a seeing eye dog (at six pounds, and BEING CARRIED!) to people that don't want to 'disturb us' but spend half our meal standing behind DP's chair whispering about the cute doggy! (I'm looking at you, Cracker Barrel in Chattanooga). It's funny what the reactions we get are.

The Embassy Suites folks? On check in, thanked me for telling them what his alert sign is in case there was an emergency while I was not in the room but DP was. At breakfast, found us a table to the side, helped me get food so DP could stay in one place with Schroder, and winked broadly when suggesting that we might want 'an extra helping of eggs and bacon, to go' when we mentioned that the dog loved them. The manager at the evening reception was even sad when I went down, alone, to get us drinks - he said he wanted to see the sweet little pup again, since it was our last night. They made travel with a service animal a pleasure! They also opened doors, held elevators, brought us towels and extra soap with a smile, no trouble, and even called up to check if housekeeping had in fact delivered the items.

We used to travel a lot, and now look like we'll be doing it more often, now that DP is getting better. Hilton.com is bookmarked with a star, for future bookings.

I used to work at Embassy Suites and I love hearing this! If you aren't yet, become an Hilton honors member. It's free to join and you can get all kinds of perks as you go along.

GlitterIsMyDrug

I thought of another! AJs! It's a high end grocery store in my neck of the woods, I rarely shop there cause...fancy/expensive. However for my best friend's wedding we decided to get her bouquet there. First, cheaper then everywhere else we went. As soon as they heard wedding I swear the price doubled. AJs, wedding or not, it was a set price. We know zilch about flowers. So the florist patiently walked us through what she wanted, made helpful (nice!) suggestions and day of had it ready to go for her other bridesmaid to pick up. Looked GORGEOUS. But here's the best part, the next month is my lovely lady's birthday and I decide to get her some nice flowers and fancy bottle of wine she likes cause I like her too. So when I head in I see the same florist working, he recognize me, and asks how he can help. I tell him what I'm looking for and he says "I know exactly what to do, wait just one second here" he calls over another person and says "This is Kate, she's going to help you pick out a bottle of wine while I get the flowers together" and then the wine person helped me get a nice pre-made meal too. I felt very special!

We've already decided to do our wedding flowers from there.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
Bath and Body Works has redeemed themselves in my eyes with the release of Forever Midnight!  For a long time I was annoyed at how they'd discontinue fragrances that were even a bit more mature and by that I mean smelling like a woman's perfume, not a stick of juicy fruit. :P  At least many of their fragrances smelled that way to me. 

I like fragrances with woodsy and some floral notes, such as sandalwood, patchouli, and jasmine.  And usually when I found one I liked, it would be discontinued within a year. :P  But last Monday they debuted a new fragrance, "Forever Midnight" that has sandalwood and night blooming jasmine, as well as caramel liquor. It smells fantastic, and the girl in the store told me that the "Forever" fragrances, such as this one and Forever Red, will never have their formulas changed so they'll always smell the same way, and they'll never be discontinued! Rock on!

Okay so it's a bit more pricey than their usual but if it means having something I can depend on and it lasts? It's worth it!
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

HGolightly

Add me to the list of LUSHies! I got some products years ago for a gift and wanted more! I got the number of the nearest store in another province who sent me their LUSHTimes mailer and would process and mail out any orders I made. The following year they added online shopping so I could keep buying my favourites and they also sent great samples. I was thrilled when they finally opened in my city and have always gotten amazing service. Some of their stuff I have been using for almost 20 years.
I also love Method! My house smells so good when it is a cleaning day. I bought their fabric softener spray and was disappointed that it did not work. I contacted the company to let them know they might want to change the bottles because it was a good product but a lousy spray bottle. I got a response the following day with the offer of a coupon for a free product to replace it. I said it was not necessary I just wanted to offer feedback. They sent me three free product coupons as a thank you!!

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
I've mentioned this in another thread, but I'd gladly visit Fastenal again.  Last Thursday I was converting Little Pirate's crib to a toddler bed which required the use of 3 bolts that could be secured with an allen wrench. Only as it turns out these were special bolts.  Which I didn't know till I went to Lowe's, because there were only 2, not 3.  But they said "You could order them from whoever made your crib, or you could go to Fastenal."

Which I did, and they helped me quickly and while they didn't have the exact bolt in stock, one guy said "Does it have to look exactly like this? Cause we have something in the same size, but it's black, not silver." I told him it really didn't matter to me and asked how much it would be.

The guy said "Don't worry about it, consider it a birthday present for the little guy."  Now, I suppose it wasn't really that much, maybe small enough they could easily write it off but I still thought that was very nice! :)
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
I love Method products. They work so well and I find myself having to only clean an area once, not multiple times.

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
Flylady.  Her cleaning products are just amazing. I accidentally overordered her purple rags, and I've been giving them as gifts.

I also loved it when after a visit, my neice emailed to ask, "I hope this isn't weird, but where did you get that purple rubber toilet brush that you had in the bathroom?"
Current fosters: Boojum (F, adult); Zuul (F); Magpie (M); Balrog (M); Nazgul (F)

daen

Flylady.  Her cleaning products are just amazing. I accidentally overordered her purple rags, and I've been giving them as gifts.

I also loved it when after a visit, my neice emailed to ask, "I hope this isn't weird, but where did you get that purple rubber toilet brush that you had in the bathroom?"

I haven't purchased much from her - just the original purple Rubba Scrubba brush - but I use that for a myriad of jobs. Today it was to get dust off suede-style curtains, clean the cat hair from the dry mop head, and sweep the baseboards. I intend to buy a replacement (or an additional one or six), and I admit to being curious if the purple rags are better than the Simoniz brand my mother-in-law gave me. Well, actually, she gave them to my husband for washing the car, but I appropriated them before they got anywhere near the garage.

Pen^2

I'll probably never have a chance to go here again, but who knows?

In Japan on DH's and my honeymoon, I had a bit of a sore tooth. Nothing to worry about. I had a dentist appointment booked for after we got back (the local dentist couldn't get me in any earlier). Well, while we were away, it got much worse, to the point that all the over-the-counter analgesics wouldn't do a thing (maximum safe dosage had no effect), and I ended up spending one night sobbing on the bathroom floor, unable to sleep due to the pain and half-deaf from the deafening throbbing in my head. (DH had gone ahead at this point for logistical reasons, so I was all on my lonesome for 30 hours.) I actually tried to pull the tooth out in desperation several times, but it's a molar near the back and couldn't (fortunately! You absolutely should not do this, as it can make things a lot worse).

So I Googled "dentist" and our hotel's address, and as soon as work hours began, walked to the nearest one, about 3 blocks away. The dentist was very sympathetic--when I said that I couldn't sleep because of the pain, and that I hadn't eaten anything solid for two days, he declared it "emergency treatment" so I'd get to be seen immediately. The tooth was infected, and he was very patient as I stumbled around dental terminology in Japanese that I'd only just looked up that morning. The equipment was like something from out of a sci-fi movie, as well. Nothing close to it in Australia. It was also the only dentist appointment I've ever been to where they actually wait for the anaesthetic to take effect (it takes ~10 minutes) before drilling away, so I never felt a thing. At all other dentists I've seen, they inject, drill/whatever, and you only start feeling numb on the way home.

Locals get an automatic 70% off all medical and dental stuff (government healthcare system), but since I wasn't local, he felt bad that I'd have to pay full price. Students also get 70% off, so he asked if I was a student or anything back in Australia (even though technically I'd need to be a student in Japan...) but I wasn't, so full price it was. He was very apologetic.

The cost of a tooth removal, two shots of anaesthetic, X-ray, filling, two days' worth of analgesics for me to take home just in case, and the other things he did was, in Australian currency, $50.30. And he was apologising!

I was so out of it from pain that I didn't even catch his name--I just called him, "Dr. Dentist." But he was the best dentist I've ever been to.

perpetua

Howarth of London. A wee bit more expensive than your average bear music shop, but totally worth it for their wonderful customer service. I went there last week looking for a saxophone stand that I could use while sitting and playing, because I've been having a lot of pain from the weight of using a neckstrap - but the one they had in stock was too high even on its lowest setting. They were about to get someone from the repairs department to alter it for me at no cost - and this thing is metal, so it would have involved metalwork! - right there and then while I waited, and it wasn't like this would have been a hugely expensive purchase either that would have been worth it for them to put the extra effort into; it was about 40.

I ended up deciding to try a harness first - which they said I can *totally* take back, used, for a full refund, after my next sax choir rehearsal - which was over a week away at the time - if it doesn't work for me and my condition. How lovely are they?
« Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 07:25:20 AM by perpetua »

faithlessone

It was also the only dentist appointment I've ever been to where they actually wait for the anaesthetic to take effect (it takes ~10 minutes) before drilling away, so I never felt a thing. At all other dentists I've seen, they inject, drill/whatever, and you only start feeling numb on the way home.

Seriously?? I'm in the UK, and I have never had anaesthetic without the dentist making completely certain that I'm fully numbed up before they start poking. I thought that was universal!

Pen^2

It was also the only dentist appointment I've ever been to where they actually wait for the anaesthetic to take effect (it takes ~10 minutes) before drilling away, so I never felt a thing. At all other dentists I've seen, they inject, drill/whatever, and you only start feeling numb on the way home.

Seriously?? I'm in the UK, and I have never had anaesthetic without the dentist making completely certain that I'm fully numbed up before they start poking. I thought that was universal!

I hope it's only Australia where they tend not to, then. I went to one of the biggest universities in the country, and did a neuroscience subject, which was compulsory for all dentistry students. Basically, the best (or, at a stretch, equal best) dentistry students in the country learnt their trade there. The lecturers (all of them) repeatedly put importance on the fact that dental anaesthetics don't work instantly, and that the students should therefore wait for the drugs to take effect before they start doing stuff to people's teeth, "Unlike all the dentists who are currently working." The students didn't pay much attention, to my disappointment. But the fact that the lecturers (we had about 6 over the semester) all kept harping on about how they should wait for the anaesthetics to work, unlike currently working dentists, makes it clear that this is at least a widespread problem in Australia, if not universal. I'd actually never heard of a dentist actually using the anaesthetic properly before meeting Dr. McAwesome Dentist, and I've lived in half the states of Australia (literally).

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.

Likewise in the US, here. Although a friend from the US who moved to the UK complained to me that she only had X minutes with dentist, so when she had work done, it was usually halfway over before the Novocaine kicked in. Maybe she was just going to a bad dentist, though.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

KB

It's not just dentists. I was having a lump remove from my breast (benign, thankfully) under local anaesthetic and the surgeon checked whether or not the anaesthetic had begun working by poking me with the scalpel. (News to him: it hadn't.)

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
Mr. Sirius and I go to a great local restaurant called the Reedville Cafe.  One thing I like is that they support local food growers (they say so in their menu) and their food is always very good.  Another thing is that it's obvious that they treat their employees well, as we've been going there for close to 9 years and there's been very little turnover in the waitstaff.  Plus, the managers don't let people misbehave.  I've seen shift managers, at different times, corral running kids back to their parents or tell tables to keep down the noise.  The head manager's been there over 20 years, and most of the rest of the managers have been there the whole time we've been going there as well.