Author Topic: S/O I'm Never Shopping There - What Businesses Will Forever Have Your Patronage?  (Read 46520 times)

Dr. F.

I Nth Apple. I tried to install a new terabyte hard-drive on my laptop myself and something went wrong. I panicked and ran into the nearest Genius Bar. The nice guy told me he could fix the problem (I had accidentally disconnected the keyboard...), but told me that they couldn't install a 3rd party hard-drive. I said, fine, no problem.

He wandered off with the laptop. A half an hour later, he came back and said it was fixed and he had gone ahead and installed the drive.

Also, AAA. My stupid, elderly car has had an electrical problem that would sometimes cause the battery to die if I didn't catch it. The first time I had to call AAA for a jump, the guy not only started my car, but checked the inflation of all of my tires and moved the hubcaps that JiffyLube had set incorrectly. The second guy (today) not only jumped my car but refilled my windshield wiper fluid and pulled the fuses for the electrical problem, so that the battery wouldn't die until I got the situation dealt with (it was the electrical door locks - I can still lock everything with a key without a problem). In short, both of them went above and beyond for a free service call. I'm super-grateful to them.

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
I Nth Apple. I tried to install a new terabyte hard-drive on my laptop myself and something went wrong. I panicked and ran into the nearest Genius Bar. The nice guy told me he could fix the problem (I had accidentally disconnected the keyboard...), but told me that they couldn't install a 3rd party hard-drive. I said, fine, no problem.

He wandered off with the laptop. A half an hour later, he came back and said it was fixed and he had gone ahead and installed the drive.

Also, AAA. My stupid, elderly car has had an electrical problem that would sometimes cause the battery to die if I didn't catch it. The first time I had to call AAA for a jump, the guy not only started my car, but checked the inflation of all of my tires and moved the hubcaps that JiffyLube had set incorrectly. The second guy (today) not only jumped my car but refilled my windshield wiper fluid and pulled the fuses for the electrical problem, so that the battery wouldn't die until I got the situation dealt with (it was the electrical door locks - I can still lock everything with a key without a problem). In short, both of them went above and beyond for a free service call. I'm super-grateful to them.

I like Apple although they've pulled a few things with operating system and iTunes compatibility to force people to upgrade hardware that has me annoyed. We've got a house full of Macs, iPhones and iPads though.

I'll add my vote for AAA. My sons are new drivers and I just got them cards. It's pretty funny that a 16yo and 18yo have AAA cards that say "Member for 55 years." The membership goes back to when my parents joined up!
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store

thats interesting about apple. My genius bar guy had no problem installing my 1TB hard drive for me.  They also showed me how to clone my old hard drive and transfer it to the new one properly. 

Julia Mercer

• Country Gals Fan Page
Bentley Bags! I was looking on their website www.onlinebags.com for a camera bag/purse, and came across a couple really nice ones, so I put them on my maybe list, so I stopped in the store at the mall near me to ask about them, and the very nice clerk showed me the only camera bag they had, which was totally different from what I had in mind, and she showed me the bags I had seen on the website, which were, at closer look, purses. I went to the other Bentley store in town for comparison sake, and was told the same thing (ended up buying a cute purse for myself while I was there), so when I got home, I went on the website and emailed customer service, and got a prompt reply

Dear Mrs. Mercer,

We thank you in taking the time in writing to us.
We understand how this can be an issue as for product knowledge.
Our product names and knowledge are supplied to us by the suppliers and our merchandising team.

We will bring this issue to our visual team and look in to improving our product knowledge.

Best Regards
Your Bentley Online Team
www.shopbentley.com

Well, I just went to the website, and did a search for camera, and it only came up with the one that the clerk in the store told me about, and they had moved the other bags to a different category.

These are the two bags I was looking at:
http://www.onlinebags.com/en/leather-camera-bag-1.html
http://www.onlinebags.com/en/leather-camera-bag-2.html
http://www.onlinebags.com/en/catalogsearch/result/?q=camera That is the actual bag that the clerk showed me.

If you look closely, there is no difference in them, other than the SKU, they are the same price, why they have them listed separate, I have no idea!

Anyhow, I will definitely shop Bentley for my future luggage needs, and will recommend them to others!

zyrs

• spiffily male.
Do It Yourself Driftwood.

My wife and I recently moved into a house at the ocean which is much larger than the house we were living in and we decided we wanted a couple of 'driftwood' furniture pieces for a beach feel.

I ordered the DIY Driftwood finish from the website and waited for it to arrive.  The shipping company sat on it for a couple weeks - I was tracking it on the web. 

I wrote to the vendor just to let them know that the shipping company was taking a while and to see if they could research it from their end.  They sent me out a priority mail package that day.

The furniture looks great!

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
Lane Bryant used to have a wire free all cotton bra. I loved it, I bought several. Of course, they discontinued them.

Now they have them again! And have a buy 1, get one free sale. I bought three more, but the ones I wear daily are still in great shape after 8 years of near constant wear.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
I hope your new ones last as well as your old ones. I've noticed a quality decrease in the wire bras lately.

And I wish they'd get one core line of jeans and stick with them! I am going to have to find a new source of jeans in my size because they discontinued straight leg again.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Margo

I had really good service from 'Staywell', who make cat flaps. I had a cat flap in the back door for Tybalt, and I accidentally broke the 'flap' when I was cleaning it. I contacted them to ask whether it was possible to buy just a replacement flap, rather than having to replace the whole unit (as the hinges were not damaged) and they sent me a complete replacement unit, free of charge.

The flap was 5 or 6 years old at the time and the damage was not due to any fault in the manufacturing, it was entirely due to my own clumsiness, which I made clear to them, so they didn't owe me anything. 

Ginger G

I had a very nice experience at Trader Joe's last week.  TJ's just opened in my city about a year ago.  It's not far from my house but not terribly convenient either, so I only make it there every other month or so.  Last Thursday was my birthday so I took a vacation day from work and decided to go shopping and treat myself a little. 

I went to TJ's and the very pleasant cashier was making the usual small talk.  She asked what I was having for dinner, and I said "well it's my birthday and we're not really celebrating until tomorrow, so I thought tonight we would splurge and have these frozen appetizers I'm buying here."  She said happy birthday and called another employee over and whispered to him.  A minute later he was back with a bouquet of flowers!  I was very impressed, they certainly didn't have to do that!

gingerzing

I had a very nice experience at Trader Joe's last week.  TJ's just opened in my city about a year ago.  It's not far from my house but not terribly convenient either, so I only make it there every other month or so.  Last Thursday was my birthday so I took a vacation day from work and decided to go shopping and treat myself a little. 

I went to TJ's and the very pleasant cashier was making the usual small talk.  She asked what I was having for dinner, and I said "well it's my birthday and we're not really celebrating until tomorrow, so I thought tonight we would splurge and have these frozen appetizers I'm buying here."  She said happy birthday and called another employee over and whispered to him.  A minute later he was back with a bouquet of flowers!  I was very impressed, they certainly didn't have to do that!
TJ's is one of the nicest places to shop. (Though I have cut back from once a week to every other week)  I have only once had a less-than-cheerful clerk.  Most of the time everyone is really super friendly.  Heck, I have traded recipe ideas with a few and talked to the floral gal often about how long their flowers last. 

The gift shop at the hospital that my husband works at.  Really nice folks who help him when he is looking for something for me. 

lowspark

I love Trader Joe's! They only opened the stores here about a year ago but one of them is about 5 minutes from my office so I go at lunch time and pick up a few things whenever I need to. Yes, the cashiers are always friendly and helpful. It's all about how they train them. And why other grocery stores can't train their cashiers to smile and be friendly instead of chatting with the bagger about what time they're getting off work, I don't know.

Lynnv

I broke the handle on my Weber charcoal grill over the weekend thanks to a bout of clumsiness combined with tripping over the <insert grumpy word here> cat who was supervising the operations.

I called Weber yesterday to buy a replacement, and they are just sending it out to me for free.  I have had my grill for well over 10 years and would have been happy to pay for it-but I am sure not going to complain that they are sending it to me for free.   ;D 

I also have a Weber gas grill.   I love their products and have always heard really nice things about their customer service in general.  I can confirm that they really do have great customer service.
Lynn

"Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat."  Robert A. Heinlein

nuit93

I hope your new ones last as well as your old ones. I've noticed a quality decrease in the wire bras lately.

And I wish they'd get one core line of jeans and stick with them! I am going to have to find a new source of jeans in my size because they discontinued straight leg again.

I still haven't forgiven them for getting rid of Right Fit.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
I love the Coldwater Creek online store and the outlet they have here.

I just bought: 3 sleeveless shells, two blouses, a long vest, a pair of dress pants for $95 and I had a $10 coupon from my birthday!

Lorelei_Evil

I still haven't forgiven them for getting rid of Right Fit.

This and I don't WANT to wear the same styles I wore in high school.  I'm 25 years older.  Where's the quality business wear for the female with a ribcage and hips?  Certainly not at Lane Bryant!