Author Topic: S/O I'm Never Shopping There - What Businesses Will Forever Have Your Patronage?  (Read 60444 times)

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy!
Redpath's shoe store, here in Canberra. I bought a pair of black and white Diesel high-top sneakers there in April, wore them (not all the time, but a fair amount) for four months... and last week discovered that they were different sizes.  :o The left one was U.S. size 9, European size 42, and Japanese size 27, while the right one was U.S. size 9 but European size 40 and Japanese size 26. I hadn't noticed anything odd the whole time, but once I knew they were different sizes I couldn't stop noticing it!

I really didn't think they could/would do much for me, because I mean, four months worth of slight but visible wear on them. And I'd bought them on sale, so I figured they might not have that style any more. Still, I called and they told me to bring them in. Turns out they were out of that colour but not that style, and I now have a brand new pair of pink and white high-tops that are both European size 40. ;D I would have been perfectly happy with something like a discount on my next pair of shoes but the manager was very matter-of-fact about saying it was their mistake. Annnnnd they had a sale on boots, and I found a pair in a style I had years ago and loved, so now I have new boots as well. :-*
"Set aphasia to stun!"

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
Our local tattoo/piercing parlor.

My younger son (17yo) wanted to get his ear pierced so I took him to the parlor in our community. I like giving business to locals and they had good reviews on Yelp. The piercer was very nice and very professional (I was watching to make sure he followed all of the sterilization requirements.) Z's supposed to go back in 6-8 weeks and bring the actual jewelry he wants -- the piercer will sterilize it free of charge.

I've been thinking about an ear piercing and a tat and will probably go back there if I decide to do it. I was going to get the piercing with Z, but I have some situations where I'd need to remove it in the next couple of weeks and don't want to complicate things.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
My late aunt had Verizon, although she owned her own equipment, which, fortunately, was reflected on all the bills I saw.  After I closed out the account I got a letter from them asking for the discs back from her equipment within 10 days.  I called the customer service number, and explained that while I would be glad to send the discs back to them from her equipment, it would be longer than 10 days as I was in western Oregon and the equipment was still at her house in eastern Washington state.  I was assured that since it was reflected in my aunt's account that she had passed away and an estate was handling the return of the discs, I would have two months in which to do this instead of ten days.  They sent me a letter to that effect, and included a postage-paid mailer for the discs.  When I went back a month later to pick up some items I'd left there I got the discs and mailed them back to Verizon, and got a card thanking me for returning the discs. 

Not too long ago I got a card from Comcast that was addressed to my late aunt, and said, "We've been trying to reach you!" 

Mad Goat Woman

• formerly Hamlet: The Original Emo
    • Mad Goat Woman
Redpath's shoe store, here in Canberra. I bought a pair of black and white Diesel high-top sneakers there in April, wore them (not all the time, but a fair amount) for four months... and last week discovered that they were different sizes.  :o The left one was U.S. size 9, European size 42, and Japanese size 27, while the right one was U.S. size 9 but European size 40 and Japanese size 26. I hadn't noticed anything odd the whole time, but once I knew they were different sizes I couldn't stop noticing it!

I really didn't think they could/would do much for me, because I mean, four months worth of slight but visible wear on them. And I'd bought them on sale, so I figured they might not have that style any more. Still, I called and they told me to bring them in. Turns out they were out of that colour but not that style, and I now have a brand new pair of pink and white high-tops that are both European size 40. ;D I would have been perfectly happy with something like a discount on my next pair of shoes but the manager was very matter-of-fact about saying it was their mistake. Annnnnd they had a sale on boots, and I found a pair in a style I had years ago and loved, so now I have new boots as well. :-*

Redpath are awesome. That's all I have to contribute to this thread. *waves to fellow Canberran*

Captains Flat, Australia

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy!

Redpath are awesome. That's all I have to contribute to this thread. *waves to fellow Canberran*

Woot! *waves back* ;D They are indeed awesome. My feet are so comfy. 8)

I may have to add Lin & Barrett Lingerie to this thread too... I now have several well-fitting bras, instead of just one that kind of still fits, and my feet aren't the only parts of my anatomy that have been comfy lately! :P
"Set aphasia to stun!"

Gladly

My vote goes to a Sainsbury's store near my mother's house.  This happened about 6 years ago now.

My brother is in the navy and was due to join ship 6 days after his daughter was born.  Our father died 2 days after his granddaughter's birth.  The Navy gave my brother an extra 3 days before he had to join ship, so we had a week to arrange everything etc. 

We managed to arrange the funeral in the morning of the day my brother had an evening flight out. A lovely neighbour had offered her large house for a get together afterwards, so I just had to arrange food.  There was no way we could do it ourselves with relatives to be collected from airports, trains etc the night before and the morning of, so I phoned and went round numerous companies who could provide sandwiches and finger food, which I would need to collect before the funeral.  Nobody could provide anything before 11am.  By the time I went into this large Sainsbury's, I was despairing.  I asked what they could provide and how early I could collect, and was once again told 11am was the earliest.  I thanked the lady and turned to go.  She stopped me and asked why we needed the food earlier.  I managed to explain without losing my composure.  She asked me to wait a moment and disappeared.  A few minutes later she came back out and said "I'm on duty that morning.  If I come in half an hour earlier, I can have it all ready by 9.30.  Would that do?" I'm not ashamed to say that I burst into tears and hugged her! 

SamiHami

• No! Iz mai catnip! You no can haz! YOU NO CAN HAZ!
A local swimming pool store.

A dear friend worked for them for many years. Friend also had wildly uncontrolled type I diabetes (not his fault--he followed drs. orders. It was out of control no matter what they did). He spent a lot of time in the hospital yet they always paid him. When he became so ill he could no longer work, they still gave him full pay and said they would continue to do so until his disability kicked in, which we all know, can take several months. He actually died before he received disability, but from November until his death in April, he never missed a paycheck. The company also provided food at his funeral.

The fact that they were so good and caring to him during his time of need tells me all I need to know about them. They are a little more expensive than the other pool store in town, but I will be loyal to them forever. They deserve it!

What have you got? Is it food? Is it for me? I want it whatever it is!

Bijou

• Super Hero!
There is a little coffeehouse in our community.  It's been there for about 18 years and we frequently go there to relax and have tea.  It's not very large, but has nice comfy tables and chairs, the staff is great.  They feature a local artist each month and have live music every evening, lots of jazz but other kinds, as well.  It's my favorite business in town, along with the art supply store (which has changed hands and is kind of less interesting now) and the hospice thrift store. 
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

readingchick

• Trivia Buff
MudLove. It's a pottery store that sells necklaces, bracelets, and mugs. What I love is the fact that they donate 20% of their sales to a charity that works to provide clean drinking water to the Central African Republic.

gingerzing

A suburb's Kohl's department store. 

In general, I am not a huge fan of most department stores.  And really was cranky at Kohls since they shrunk their Womens/Plus size "department" in many of their stores to be about 3 racks of subpar clothes. 

DH and I went into the suburb's store to get a new watchband for his everyday Timex.  (Watch still worked, the band had broken.He had the watch for at least 5 years, so couldn't remember where we had gotten it, but they have a decent jewelry desk.) The gal at the watch counter helped find a band that was similar to what he had.  But she confessed to him that she had only been working 6 months and hadn't really ever been trained on fixing watches or watchbands.  As she muddled through, she occasionally cracked a joke with me and promised DH that she would figure something out.
After about a half hour of her fussing with the getting the watchband in place and nothing working, she looked at DH and said, "Pretty sure you don't want to waste your whole day on this. Let me do this."  She had found that they sold the exact same watch that he had brought in. 
"Does the watch you brought in with you have any sentimental value?"  We assured her that it wasn't a family heirloom. 
"Right then."  She proceeded to ring the watch up as an exchange.  She explained that this was taking way too long and the store policy was if she had broken the watch she would have had to found a replacement for it.  She was skipping the breaking part since it had been at least a half hour.   
Both DH and I asked if she was going to get into trouble - heck we would have been willing to pay for the band.  She was having none of it.  "No, it's fine.  You guys have been really patient and kind while I tried this and I will explain to my boss." 

We were stunned, but very grateful.  I really do hope she doesn't get into trouble.  And it did change my view of Kohls as a company. 

perpetua

My vote goes to a Sainsbury's store near my mother's house.  This happened about 6 years ago now.

My brother is in the navy and was due to join ship 6 days after his daughter was born.  Our father died 2 days after his granddaughter's birth.  The Navy gave my brother an extra 3 days before he had to join ship, so we had a week to arrange everything etc. 

We managed to arrange the funeral in the morning of the day my brother had an evening flight out. A lovely neighbour had offered her large house for a get together afterwards, so I just had to arrange food.  There was no way we could do it ourselves with relatives to be collected from airports, trains etc the night before and the morning of, so I phoned and went round numerous companies who could provide sandwiches and finger food, which I would need to collect before the funeral.  Nobody could provide anything before 11am.  By the time I went into this large Sainsbury's, I was despairing.  I asked what they could provide and how early I could collect, and was once again told 11am was the earliest.  I thanked the lady and turned to go.  She stopped me and asked why we needed the food earlier.  I managed to explain without losing my composure.  She asked me to wait a moment and disappeared.  A few minutes later she came back out and said "I'm on duty that morning.  If I come in half an hour earlier, I can have it all ready by 9.30.  Would that do?" I'm not ashamed to say that I burst into tears and hugged her!

How lovely.

We used Sainsbury's for the food for my Mum's funeral last year. It's a brilliant service (which I had no idea they provided) and made everything so much easier for us - the food was lovely and was extremely reasonably priced, too.  We catered the whole thing for about 60 and had tons left over so we didn't have to worry about making food for a couple of days, and were able to order everything over the phone so we didn't have to make two trips. I'd highly recommend them.

White Dragon

• Formerly St Monica
This thread reminded me to get off my behindsky and post reviews that I had been procrastinating on!

Had some really above and beyond service this summer from a couple of places and I realized I should take the time to acknowledge them.
Good companies won't stay in business if they don't get new customers!

One business was the motel/RV/Campground where we held my parent's 50th Anniversary/Family reunion. We had a lot of unusual requests and they worked with us to make things happen:

- Making sure my 97 year old grandmother had the best room for her needs and ensuring it was reserved for her? Check.
- We want to set up a 30' x 60' tarp on the lawn to provide shade for the guests? No problem.
- We want to barbeque a pig on the front lawn? Sure, use this spot, it's level and has power.
- Guests want to hire a folk duo to entertain the party for a couple of hours? Sure! Set them up!
- Want to fill a bathtub with ice and store a plastic-wrapped pig in it overnight? Sure, just please clean up the mess afterwards. (The pig didn't touch the tub and we scrubbed it afterwards just in case.)
- Need a garbage emptied, extra ice or a wheelbarrow to move a pig? Got that for you!

Pretty sure this rates as "above and beyond"!

The other business was our realtor. We were moving long distance and he did a lot of extra legwork for us in terms of getting the water samples (rural property - the bank required a lab report on the safety of the well.) He got the sample and paid for the lab work.

The person we were buying from was self-represented, so our realtor had to do some extra work in tracking down paper work, getting legal documents and trying to maintain contact with the seller.
When we got the house and he was there for the walkthrough, he was as upset as we were that there was trash all over the yard (broken flower pots and lawn decorations, piles of cigarette butts, trash in the garage etc.) He was equally as appalled that the fridge was full of spilled food and the house was dirty.
My daughters and I took care of the interior and our realtor hired a fellow with a trailer and the two of them cleaned up the yard. He spent probably 4 hours sweating over the trash in my yard. In addition, he gave us a $100 gift card as a housewarming present. (I used it for cleaning supplies...).
So yes, I made sure his review was outstanding!!!

gmatoy

I love the realtor story, White Dragon!

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
We're doing a whole pig for DS's Eagle Scout Court of Honor in the spring. Thanks for reminding me of the two things I had forgotten. (how are we going to move a 100 lb pig and do we need to store it?)

NestHolder

I've been trying for a while to get exactly the right yarn for a cardigan I'm planning to knit for a friend.  I ordered some Malabrigo from tangledyarn.co.uk, only when it arrived I realised my screen had misled me - the colour was too dark.  I contacted the company and they were happy to exchange for a lighter colour.  Well.  The first re-sent package did not arrive... I contacted them again, and they said they would send another package.  Eventually, one of the packages of replacement yarn got to me - and when I emailed to let them know, it turned out that the other package had made its way back home.

The person I dealt with was friendly and helpful throughout, and so when I decided to get myself some tiny-gauge circular needles for socks, I went straight back to Tangled Yarn.  And when I opened the needles, could have kicked myself for failing to order *long* ones... I'd asked for 60cms which aren't adequate for the Magic Loop method.  But they are replacing them with no problems and not a hint of reproach!

Perhaps next time I will manage to order something that doesn't need to be exchanged...