Author Topic: S/O I'm Never Shopping There - What Businesses Will Forever Have Your Patronage?  (Read 45999 times)

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
Our local financial advice guy.  DH and I moved to OurTown right after college - we were living together, knew we were gonna get married eventually, but weren't engaged yet or anything.  We both had bits and pieces of financial accounts hanging around - the mutual fund I had put a few hundred dollars of my high school job earnings into, etc.  We were really new to the whole "being on our own" thing and didn't know the first thing about making a real-world budget.

Well MIL had to stop by her finance person to drop off some paperwork one day, and we happened to be out with her, so we came inside too.  The woman MIL sees wasn't busy - she was just shooting the breeze with the receptionist - but she clearly had no interest in talking to us.  There was a new guy there, though, in the office next to her, and we started chatting while MIL took care of her paperwork.  He gave us a TON of good advice, helped us schedule a time to come see him the next day, and walked us through a bunch of the basics we didn't know we'd need to do (what papers we should save for tax purposes, setting up long-term goals, etc.).

We went back the next day and he gave us the whole spiel - even though we were clear upfront that we were just out of college and weren't going to be buying investments anytime soon.  He was really clear that we were better off saving up some money ourselves first, to keep in a regular savings account for emergencies, before we even think about mutual funds or stocks or any of that stuff.  So now, eight years later, we're finally in a position to deal with starting college funds for Babybartfast and UpcomingBaby#2 (still need a better name for her!) - we still won't be rich enough for him to make more than a nominal amount off of us, but someday when we're millionaires we'll still come to him for advice.  After all, if that ever happens, he'll be the one who got us there  :P

iridaceae

• Boring in real life as well
The place I went to to get my engine cleaned. I had a hard time finding a place here in Tucson and so finallygoogled and then looked them up on Yelp. I made the appointment and nto only did it take less time than they said but they washed my car gratis.

Granted this is not a regular thing, but I recommend them to everyone.

The place where I got my current glasses (and now with insurance changes cannot use any more).  They wanted my insurance card for the exam but I told them I didn't have vision so it was no good. Well, the optometrist found out I have slight cataracts in both eyes [not unusual for my age] making it not an eye exam but a necessary medical exam, and therefore covered by insurance. So I gave them my insurance card, they called in and the insurance company agreed - so my exam went from $129 to a $15 or $20 co-pay!

I told everyone at work about them.

MissRose

My local credit union: Been very helpful when I've had issues with card compromises when I was traveling, also offering bill pay online, etc.

Nordstorm: I've always been treated well no matter how much I spend and/or not spend there

Sephora: Great customer service, and free samples especially when ordering online

Amazon: Also great customer service experiences plus I like the super saver shipping

Torrid: I like the selection, and plus the staff is helpful & most of them like me are plus sized which makes it helpful when getting advice on clothing selections

emwithme

Clare's Accessories.  I love funky hair stuff and I'd rather get three or four cheap (and disposable - because I'm very likely to break it, or have it stolen by kittehs etc) things than spend a little more money on one thing.  I also have ME & fibromyalgia so if I'm out shopping I use a powerchair. 

My best friend and I were shopping, and I sent her into Clare's teeny weeny shop to get me some hair bands.  When the assistant saw me, she came over and told me that every shelf unit in the middle of the store is moveable and that if I needed anything moving, they'd be happy to do it - and they were!  I now go in there more because of their disabled-friendly policies - and attitude.  It was mainly teenage girls working there and they had no problem dealing with me as a person rather than a wheelchair. 

Vall

We have a local grocery named Dorothy Lane Market.  They are head-and-shoulders above the rest for customer service and their deli, bakery and meat departments.  All their staff wear black pants, white button up shirts, black ties and full black aprons.  They always look neat and clean but it's their attitude that matters most.  They are 100% customer-focused, friendly, professional, and never pushy.  I've never heard any employee say anything negative or have anything close to an indifferent attitude.  The store over-staffs so there's always someone who will happily help me.  The first time I took my DH there he was shocked to see the baggers cheerfully loading groceries into the customers' cars (he hadn't seen that since he was a kid).  Plus, their bakery items are better than what I've found in any of our local restaurants.  Very yummy.

For an on-line store, I like Palatine Roses for bare root roses.  They are a little pricier but what you get is amazing.  The roots (not counting the plants) are at least 1.5 feet long and very healthy.  I've bought a lot of plants locally and on-line from other venders but no one comes close to the level of product and service that Palatine does.  When it comes to roses, I'm loyal to Palatine.

The703

• Formerly ND Fan
Amazon
Chick-Fil-A - Just for the food. I don't believe in the philosophy either.
Wegman's - Great all around.
Trader Joe's - great products and the staff is great.

readingchick

• Trivia Buff
My favorite used bookstore. I've found some interesting additions to my personal library there; plus the lady who owns it is very very personable.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
Walking on a Cloud chain of shoe stores. Everything I've bought there is comfortable! It IS like "walking on a cloud".

It is the only store where I have ever gotten heels so comfortable I can work all day on my feet wearing them without pain.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

BarensMom

I have two that I recommend, but I can't shop there since they're out of my range:

USA Tire in Woodland, CA - I ran over a curb and blew a tire.  I called USA and the gentleman there called all over Sacramento for my particular tire (not just size, but brand and model), found it, had it picked up and delivered to his store, installed and balanced, and had me back on the road in under 3 hours.

A little western supply store in Dixon, CA - We were having breakfast with friends in a little cafe in Dixon.  The waitress brings out my hot maple syrup in a glass container sitting in a bowl.  I picked up the container by the handle and the bottom fell out and syrup drenched my pants.  I tried cleaning up in the restroom and ended up a wet, sticky mess.  At another table the owner of the store next door saw the whole thing.  She opened the store for me, helped me clean up and fitted me into another pair of Levi's.  I thanked her profusely at the time, but I've always wanted to go back and take her flowers or something.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
Mountain Equipment Co-op (MEC).  They are the Canadian version of REI.

Their clothes are starting to get a little too trendy and their largest women's size is just a bit too small for me but the service I've received there has been top notch, especially when dealing with problems.  I still shop there a lot for gear and for Christmas presents for my brother's family.

I had one on-line mix-up fixed with no issues.  I'd ordered something for my SIL on line.  The outside of the bag the garment was in said one size but when opened up, the garment was a different size.  Sent it back, got shipped the correct size, all on their dime.  I even changed the shipping address to go right to my SIL.

This past Christmas, my brother bought something for my Dad at a store local to me.  When we tried to set it up for him Christmas Day, one part was broken.  I took it back, got a new one and was credited for about 20% because the item was on sale that week!  I did give my brother the refund.  ;)
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

gingerzing

Lands End.  I love most everything that I have gotten from them.  And their customer service is EXCELLENT. 
My mom called up once and asked about the color of one of their dresses.  In the catalog it was the exact match to a hat that she owned, but wondered if the color in the catalog was true.  The CS rep asked if mom could be on hold for a little longer than usual.  CS came back and said "Well, I grabbed the dress from the warehouse and it looks like it matches perfectly to the color in the catalog".   :o
They use to have an Outlet store near my office, I had almost 3/4 of my wardrobe from LE.  When it was announced they were closing, I sent an email of distress and woe, including claiming that the outlet was the main reason that my mom came up to visit me.  I got a great response from their rep.  Not a cut and paste job because the rep assured me that my mom will come even after the store closed.  (It was hilarious.)

Penzey's Spices.  If you are a baker or cook this is a MUST store.  The only complaint that I have had with them was that the company changed from plastic jars to glass and now they don't fit in my wooden spice racks.  The clerks are ALWAYS extremely helpful and very knowledgable about the products. 

Our credit union. There have been a couple small issues and one VERY big one (someone got our number and tried to buy stuff from Belgium.)  They have been FABULOUS to fix whatever issues and to contact us when something doesn't seem right...like Belgium.

Another Trader Joes fan.  If you have been, 'nuf said.  If you haven't, you poor poor thing.   
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 11:41:11 AM by gingerzing »

WhiteTigerCub

L.L. Bean - I got a backpack from them about ten years ago. It lasted all through my college days, lugging tons of books around and is roomy and waterproof as well. Even after all the tortureous thinkgs I have done with it, the zippers work perfectly and nary a stray stitch or fray on the bindings. I also bought a large duffel bag that works great as a travel bag. It has clips that make the bag smaller if I can't fill it up. It's so roomy I hardly ever need to undo the clips even when I pack clothes for a whole week's trip.

Amazon - Love the super saver shipping and how easy it is to make a purchase. A few clicks and I'm done. I hate going into stores to buy things now, as I love the convienence of having it all shipped right to my house. Especially big awkward stuff that may not fit well in my car. One draw back, is that I had to clean out my garage this weekend and tear down all the boxes I have gotten. It looked like I was becoming an empty box horder I had so many! :)

Arizona

sparksals

• Super Hero!
USAA.   Their service is second to none and they always go the extra mile.  We have our insurance through them, and while it is a bit higher price, there are no surprises when we have a claim.  Their credit cards are much lower interest rates too. 

Dr. F.

We have a local grocery named Dorothy Lane Market.  They are head-and-shoulders above the rest for customer service and their deli, bakery and meat departments.  All their staff wear black pants, white button up shirts, black ties and full black aprons.  They always look neat and clean but it's their attitude that matters most.  They are 100% customer-focused, friendly, professional, and never pushy.  I've never heard any employee say anything negative or have anything close to an indifferent attitude.  The store over-staffs so there's always someone who will happily help me.  The first time I took my DH there he was shocked to see the baggers cheerfully loading groceries into the customers' cars (he hadn't seen that since he was a kid).  Plus, their bakery items are better than what I've found in any of our local restaurants.  Very yummy.

Wow! You must live where I grew up. I hadn't thought about the Dorothy Lane Market in *YEARS*. Good to know it's still going strong!!

*new*mommyagain36

^ Yes, CFA.  So yummy and everyone I know will eat there, even 15 month old DD loves the yogurt.  And my hubby's diet book, "Eat This, Not That" states every sandwich is under 500 calories.  Woo-Hoo.  But what the heck is their philosophy?  I am clueless.

Our local Tax lady.  She does taxes out of her basement and she does a great, thorough job every year.  She also charges very little to do them because in her own words she just "likes to do taxes"  It is hands down the most painless process ever.  We sit and visit and then you leave with your taxes ready to be mailed in.  Never knew tax prep could be so pleasant.  ;D
"Oh people can come up with statistics to prove anything.  14% of people know that" - Homer Simpson