Author Topic: S/O I'm Never Shopping There - What Businesses Will Forever Have Your Patronage?  (Read 53661 times)

Redneck Gravy

Home Depot - their saw was broken Sunday afternoon and a gentleman hand sawed a 4 x 4 post into 24" sections for me because I had to build steps so my daughter and grandbabies could get up down to the front door (steps broke Saturday and could not be repaired)

He could have just as easily said no the saw is broken.   Lowe's does not cut 4 x 4's so I was delighted to get all the parts Sunday and get the job done.

BatCity

• Duct Tape and Chicken Wire
Slight modification: a store that I'll visit that I would never have dreamed of going in. It's a clothing store called Buckle located at the mall. Most of their clothes are pretty small and very "blingy".

I got dragged in there by a co-worker who is a size 4 for some retail therapy. I am a large 14 (but hopefully not for long).  While CW was trying on jeans, one of the staff asked me if there was anything in particular I was looking for. I laughed and said "I don't think you carry my size!"

She told me "Sure, we do! We have all kinds of sizes. Want me to bring you out a couple of pairs?"  She ended up showing me some super adorable jeans in a very generous cut. When we mentioned that our office is right across from the mall, she said that I can always call the store and give them my size and what I'm looking for, and they can have a dressing room set up with some selections.  The girls were just super nice and really treated me like even super-fashionable clothes should fit me, rather than the other way around.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
Slight modification: a store that I'll visit that I would never have dreamed of going in. It's a clothing store called Buckle located at the mall. Most of their clothes are pretty small and very "blingy".

I got dragged in there by a co-worker who is a size 4 for some retail therapy. I am a large 14 (but hopefully not for long).  While CW was trying on jeans, one of the staff asked me if there was anything in particular I was looking for. I laughed and said "I don't think you carry my size!"

She told me "Sure, we do! We have all kinds of sizes. Want me to bring you out a couple of pairs?"  She ended up showing me some super adorable jeans in a very generous cut. When we mentioned that our office is right across from the mall, she said that I can always call the store and give them my size and what I'm looking for, and they can have a dressing room set up with some selections.  The girls were just super nice and really treated me like even super-fashionable clothes should fit me, rather than the other way around.

That is customer service!

I shop at Mark's for a lot of my clothes (Used to be called Mark's Work Warehouse).  They are having a 20% off sale on Thursday from 5:00 to 11:00 pm.  It is usually really lined up.  I was in there getting a refund on something that went on sale 10 days after I bought it - they have a two week policy; if it goes on sale within 2 weeks of you buying it, you can get the difference refunded.  I asked the best time to come in and they told me after 9:00 pm.  But since I'm larger, my sizes often go fast.  She told me I could go in Wednesday, try stuff on, get it put aside and come in and pick it up and pay for it on Thursday!  And since I have a ball game that will go until 10:00, it shouldn't be very busy for me to pop in after that.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

CakeBeret

I have a cousin who works at Buckle who would be absolutely thrilled to hear that. :) He keeps trying to get me in there, but I'm a size 18 and decidedly un-trendy so I always decline.
"From a procrastination standpoint, today has been wildly successful."

stitchygreyanonymouse

Iíve only been in there once so far, but I have high hopes for Stitched, a fabric shop in VT, once I move up there next month.

Not only is their buyer amazingly in tune with what I like (ok, so that's really more a happy coincidence), it was the first store Iíd ever walked in to where I wasn't treated like I was clearly out of my place (many quilt shops think Iím too young to quilt), and also, the staff had just the right mix of making sure I knew they were available and pointing out the different rooms (since it was my first visit, which they asked about) while leaving me alone to shop.

Julia Mercer

• Country Gals Fan Page
Demos in Nashville, every time I go to Nashville, I always make it a point to eat at Demos, the food is fantastic, the service bar none, and the prices are reasonable for what you get! Also, Nashville Downtown Hostel, just stayed there on my first solo trip to Nashville, and had the time of my life, everyone was so warm and accommodating, I will definitely stay there next time I'm in Nashville!

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
I've said it before, but this time a specific Vera Bradley outlet. I was there last Sat, and then my mom wanted another item, and I wanted a couple more, so I called to have them sent, whcih they will do. Not only did they go and hunt down my items, I ordered them on Monday, regular shipping and received them YESTERDAY (Tues). I had also mentioned one was for my mom, and got a very nice note from the associate, hoping both mom and I like our items. I had previously ordered from teh outlet and also gotten a nice note.  AWESOME customer service there.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
I had been wanting a "One Ring" from the Lord of the Rings. I found one on Ebay for less than $20, and received it within 3 days of ordering and with free shipping. I will be buying more rings from that merchant!

twiggy

• wonder what this thing is
Payless shoe store

They have cute little kid shoes that stand up very well to the abuse that my very active little ones dish out. Every time we go in, the salespeople are very helpful and when 4yo DS goes up to the counter with a question, they talk to him like he's a *real person* and help him find what he's looking for.

Today I was buying shoes for Baby. They didn't have the size I was looking for, so the lady looked it up, found 3 locations nearby that have it in stock, and printed out a coupon on receipt paper for me. It's good for $4 off a $5 pair of shoes! for the 'inconvenience' of having to drive 4 miles away :)
In the United States today, there is a pervasive tendency to treat children as adults, and adults as children.  The options of children are thus steadily expanded, while those of adults are progressively constricted.  The result is unruly children and childish adults.  ~Thomas Szasz

Redsoil

The other night (around 3am), I chose a design and placed an order for business cards with VistaPrint online.  Being an idiot, I accidently put the incorrect postcode on the interactive mock-up, proofed it but didn't catch it.  I confirmed the order and paid.  After printing out the design and info, I realised what I'd done.  Checked the FAQ and realised there were no changes allowed after submitting.  I did send an email asking if a change could be made prior to printing (possibly a bit SS).  However, after that, I decided to bite the bullet and submitted a new order with correct postcode and paid for it.

Today, I received a reply email,  refunding the original order cost, with a lovely screed from their customer service department, hoping my experience was good, and that the refund should be credited in a few days.  I checked and it's already back in my account!

To my mind, that's exceptional service!  I was entirely at fault, and they went above and beyond with their service.  Given this,I'd happily recommend them to anyone wanting easy, no-fuss online design for business cards and related products.  Very happy!
Look out... 
It's one of the Aussie Contingent!

faithlessone

The other night (around 3am), I chose a design and placed an order for business cards with VistaPrint online.  Being an idiot, I accidently put the incorrect postcode on the interactive mock-up, proofed it but didn't catch it.  I confirmed the order and paid.  After printing out the design and info, I realised what I'd done.  Checked the FAQ and realised there were no changes allowed after submitting.  I did send an email asking if a change could be made prior to printing (possibly a bit SS).  However, after that, I decided to bite the bullet and submitted a new order with correct postcode and paid for it.

Today, I received a reply email,  refunding the original order cost, with a lovely screed from their customer service department, hoping my experience was good, and that the refund should be credited in a few days.  I checked and it's already back in my account!

To my mind, that's exceptional service!  I was entirely at fault, and they went above and beyond with their service.  Given this,I'd happily recommend them to anyone wanting easy, no-fuss online design for business cards and related products.  Very happy!

Ooh, I've got nothing but praise for VistaPrint too. A couple of years ago, I ordered some cards for my mother as a present for her new business. The process was quick and easy, and even though I ordered them on a Saturday evening (with normal delivery) they arrived on Tuesday morning. Really made me smile.

Jones

Payless shoe store

They have cute little kid shoes that stand up very well to the abuse that my very active little ones dish out. Every time we go in, the salespeople are very helpful and when 4yo DS goes up to the counter with a question, they talk to him like he's a *real person* and help him find what he's looking for.

Today I was buying shoes for Baby. They didn't have the size I was looking for, so the lady looked it up, found 3 locations nearby that have it in stock, and printed out a coupon on receipt paper for me. It's good for $4 off a $5 pair of shoes! for the 'inconvenience' of having to drive 4 miles away :)
I love them too! DS is two, and in general couldn't care less what he wear so long as it has dinosaurs on it. Well he needed shoes, so I took him to Payless in May and the lady measured his feet and started to bring shoes. They didn't have dinosaur shoes. She did not stop until she found a pair he liked so much he wouldn't let me take them off--Disney Cars, which honestly I would have never guessed, but he liked them. He kept going by the mirror and waving his heel about looking at the shoe. I also grabbed a pair of generic "dress up on Sunday" shoes. It was a great experience!

GreenEyedHawk

• Not hot but SPICY
    • My Facebook.  Feel free to add me!
I'll also politely disagree with Chick-Fil-A.  I don't like their policies.

I'll throw my hat in the ring with ThinkGeek though.  I was floored by their delivery times.  I ordered a bunch of stuff as Christmas gifts one year, doing it in mid-November to make absolutely sure stuff would come in time for Christmas.  I placed my order on a Monday and it showed up at my door on Thursday.  I was expecting weeks, not days.  I was thrilled.

No Frills.  It's a local grocery chain we have here and I went there for the first time last weekend.  Everything is SO CHEAP.  My main complaint with the grocery store we normally go to is that they are often out of things I like to buy, like ground chicken.  I found everything I wanted and then some at No Frills.  When we got to the checkout I told the cashier that this was my first time shopping there and that I felt like all these years shopping for groceries I've been getting totally screwed on prices.  She laughed and said she felt the same way when she started working there.  Granted, they are not kidding when they mean no frills...the stores themselves are very bare bones, no fancy displays or anything.  It's a bit like grocery shopping in a warehouse, but frankly I don't really care about that.  I don't want a 'shopping experience' when I go for groceries.  I just want to get my stuff and get out.  Their store brand of stuff is predominant, but they have the name brand stuff as well and also at awesome prices. ($3 for a pack of Maple Leaf brand bacon?  SOLD!)  Plus, a lot of their store-brand stuff is really good. (Honey dijon potato chips, anyone?)

MaryMaxim.com.  They sell knitting and crochet and other craft kits and supplies.  I recently ordered a new afghan kit from them and there was a mistake in the process that inconvenienced me quite a bit.  I'm pretty patient though and stuff happens...it wasn't worth getting worked up about, I thought.  But throughout the process of correcting the problem, their people were very courteous and apologetic and determined to fix the mistake...they went what I would call above and beyond to make sure I got what I'd ordered as quickly as possible.  And once the mistake was rectified, my stuff was delivered only a couple days later.  Plus, their products are awesome.

ETA I also agree with those who brought up VistaPrint.  I ordered business cards from them and even though my order was very small, they treated me like a VIP.  Delivery was VERY quick.

Also a restaurant in Calgary called BigT's.  It's near McMahon Stadium and looks super sketchy.  But the service is always wonderful and their applewood-smoked pulled pork is worth kicking the door down for.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2013, 12:36:56 PM by GreenEyedHawk »
"After all this time?"
"Always."

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
The Nugget. It's a grocery chain only in my county that has the atmosphere of Whole Foods with the prices of Safeway. They have a lot of local products, the best produce in town and a deli, bakery and coffee bar that are great. Best of all I rarely have to wait in line, even at 5 pm on the day before Thanksgiving, and their customer service is fantastic.

magician5

No Frills.  It's a local grocery chain we have here and I went there for the first time last weekend.  Everything is SO CHEAP.  My main complaint with the grocery store we normally go to is that they are often out of things I like to buy, like ground chicken.  I found everything I wanted and then some at No Frills.  When we got to the checkout I told the cashier that this was my first time shopping there and that I felt like all these years shopping for groceries I've been getting totally screwed on prices.  She laughed and said she felt the same way when she started working there.  Granted, they are not kidding when they mean no frills...the stores themselves are very bare bones, no fancy displays or anything.  It's a bit like grocery shopping in a warehouse, but frankly I don't really care about that.  I don't want a 'shopping experience' when I go for groceries.  I just want to get my stuff and get out.  Their store brand of stuff is predominant, but they have the name brand stuff as well and also at awesome prices. ($3 for a pack of Maple Leaf brand bacon?  SOLD!)  Plus, a lot of their store-brand stuff is really good. (Honey dijon potato chips, anyone?)

You might want to check how they treat their employees. As I'm sure you've heard, some discount stores don't pay or treat their workers well, and for my part, I won't benefit at the working guy's expense. Around here, there's at least one grocery chain that's not unionized, and a few bucks saving for me isn't worth knowing (and I've heard tales) at what cost these savings come.
There is no 'way to peace.' Peace is the way.