Author Topic: S/O I'm Never Shopping There - What Businesses Will Forever Have Your Patronage?  (Read 42320 times)

Minmom3

In my limited (to me) experience, every dentist I've ever had would give me the numbing shot, wait 10-15 minutes, and run a pick over the tongue in that quadrant of my mouth and ask if I felt it.  Which I invariably DID.  What they used to use (may still do, but I don't get it anymore!) was lidocaine.  At dental strength, whatever that may be, lidocaine does not handle my pain.  Enough of it will make me appear to be a stroke victim, with extensive facial sagging, but the pain receptors work JUST FINE.  Sometime in my mid-20's, I asked a new dentist to find something else to try on me, as I was truly sick and tired of pain every time I got more than a cleaning - and I have horrible teeth, nearly every visit was more than a cleaning.  He used a new-to-me drug and, wonder of wonders, it worked.  It metabolizes out faster than lidocaine, but it works on MY pain...  Before that happened, I got my wisdom teeth pulled at a dental school in Los Angeles.  4 shots of lidocaine later, I looked awful!  Even with an IV of valium and demerol, I still felt the pain, and because I was so drugged up, I cried throughout the procedure.  Talk about a miserable day.  I still cringe and tense up as soon as I hear the drill, even though I no longer feel the pain.
Mother to children and fuzz butts....

Jloreli

netrition.com !

I had weightloss surgery a couple of years ago and still use protein powders several times a week to make sure my intake is adequate. Their shipping is flat rate and cheap. Their prices are generally HALF what my local GNC or nutrition/body building places charge. They ship super fast....I place an order online on late Monday afternoon and have it in my hands the following day even using their super cheap flat rate shipping option!

To top it all off the have a bunch of freebies if you order certain products or spend a certain amount. I must have a dozen t-shirts from them. And there is almost always some kind of free sample or two of other product included in my order. Highly recommended for vitamins, healthy snacks and supplements!

Liliane

• Licensed to Squee
    • My Dreamwidth
I'm actually going to put EVGA in this category, despite the issues I've been having in dealing with them.

For those not in the know, my video card started acting up, I contacted the manufacturer (Nvidia) who then sent me to the people who actually BUILT the card (EVGA). After a fairly enormous amount of troubleshooting and back-and-forth with their customer support, they agreed to an RMA since the card was still under the 3 year limited warranty (basically, I send the malfunctioning card back to them, they send me a new (or possibly refurbished, I'm not sure in this case) one.)

They may not be the friendliest company in the world, but the fact that they stand behind their merchandise like that, and didn't just brush me off with an "oh well, not our problem" is definitely going to make me a repeat customer, should I ever need another video card.
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch!

Waterlight

There is a Thai restaurant near my workplace that has recently earned my forever patronage...

It's quite a popular restaurant with my coworkers because it has fast service and great food.  But a week ago, it went above and beyond on my behalf.

I stopped in for a quick dinner on my way home for work... and unfortunately my debit card was declined.  (I later learned it had been compromised, and my credit union had blocked it at the first sign of trouble.)

The restaurant owner told me it was okay, I could come back in later and pay for my meal--I was a regular so he knew I WOULD be coming in with the money later.

I came back in after I got my replacement debit card (a day or two later), paid for the dinner, and added a much-bigger-than-usual tip to my payment!
“The best lightning rod for your protection is your own spine.”--Ralph Waldo Emerson

AzaleaBloom

• Help, I'm stepping into the twilight zone...
Southwest - never had a problem with them.  Friendly employees, cheap prices, and very easy to navigate website.

Lane Bryant - I am TERRIBLE when it comes to nice clothes.  Jeans, decent shirts?  I'm good.  An outfit for a fancy occasion?  Not so much.  I needed a nice outfit for my rehearsal dinner.  I went to my local LB, and the employee took his time to tell me what he liked, picked me out several tops/bottom combinations, and told me what he found cute on me and what didn't work quite as well. 

Hampton Inn - clean rooms, polite service, and when I did have a complaint (air conditioning did not work well in my room), they responded promptly.  As I had waited until after my trip to tell them, they couldn't do anything about it for me, but they said that if I had a problem in the future to please let them know right away. 

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
WestJet. When I made a reservation on the wrong day by mistake, I discovered their 24-hour no-penalty cancellation policy. Plus making changes usually costs no more than 50 dollars, rather than the 100s other airlines have charged me.

And last time I flew them, they did the safety announcements as a rap. "We got two exits over the wing/And two at the back if that's not your thing...."
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
LOVE Westjet.  I'll fly with them anytime I can get a direct flight.  Unfortunately, for some of my destinations, there is no direct flight but Air Canada does have one.  So I'm stuck with AC in those cases.  Unless I want to drive the 2-3 hours to Buffalo and fly out of there.  Flights are definitely cheaper out of Buffalo and if I still lived on the other side of Toronto, I'd consider it.  But I'm less than an hour from Pearson.

I was on one flight and we had a long taxi to the gate.  The head flight attendant was cracking jokes over the PA the whole time and we didn't even notice how long it was taking.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
Dr. Margoliat, who fixed my hand and has a great iPod mix to boot.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Redsoil

Pen - I seem to recall you're in WA?  I'm NSW, and have been to several different dentists (all rural) and they're really good about making sure the anaesthetic is working.  For me it's more like 20 minutes with triple dose, but they all make sure I'm numb before starting work.  Downside?  I'm numb for about 6-8 hours after!
Look out... 
It's one of the Aussie Contingent!

Pen^2

Pen - I seem to recall you're in WA?  I'm NSW, and have been to several different dentists (all rural) and they're really good about making sure the anaesthetic is working.  For me it's more like 20 minutes with triple dose, but they all make sure I'm numb before starting work.  Downside?  I'm numb for about 6-8 hours after!

Actually, I've lived in every state on the east coast. Never lived in WA, SA, NT, or ACT. I've been to dentists in all the states I've lived in, both rural and urban, and sometimes several in one state (usual one retiring, etc.). I'd chalk it up to me having bad luck, except for the uni lecturers harping on and on about how working Australian dentists apparently have a strong tendency not to use anaesthetics properly. Maybe you live in the dental golden region or something? I'd love to know where in NSW you are, but I don't want to be a net stalker. And I've heard enough other Aussies complain about the same thing to guess that there are some areas where it's good, and some areas where it just isn't. The fact that it isn't good in any areas at all is pretty bad in my book, but there you go.

emwithme

Actually, I've lived in every state on the east coast. Never lived in WA, SA, NT, or ACT. I've been to dentists in all the states I've lived in, both rural and urban, and sometimes several in one state (usual one retiring, etc.). I'd chalk it up to me having bad luck, except for the uni lecturers harping on and on about how working Australian dentists apparently have a strong tendency not to use anaesthetics properly. Maybe you live in the dental golden region or something? I'd love to know where in NSW you are, but I don't want to be a net stalker. And I've heard enough other Aussies complain about the same thing to guess that there are some areas where it's good, and some areas where it just isn't. The fact that it isn't good in any areas at all is pretty bad in my book, but there you go.

This is going to sound *really* silly but how flexible are you?

The reason I'm asking is because if you have hyper-mobile joints, then it may be that you have Ehlers-Danlos syndrome

People with EDS don't tend to react "normally" to local anaesthesia, particularly to the standard (novocaine?) given in dental work.  I used to have hideous problems at the dentist - I had about ten times the normal dose of novocaine to remove a wisdom tooth and it was agony.  I mentioned to my dentist that I was going through the diagnostic process for EDS, she put this into her (computerised) records system and it flashed up to give me a different local anaesthetic.

I then had a root canal (on a front tooth) with the alternate anaesthetic and not only did the numbness "take" really quickly, I only needed about half the normal amount. 

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
Additionally, if you are a redhead, there is some anecdotal evidence that freezing doesn't work as well on redheads.  My brother is a redhead and always needs twice the freezing and twice the time whenever he has dental work or stitches.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

perpetua

This is going to sound *really* silly but how flexible are you?

The reason I'm asking is because if you have hyper-mobile joints, then it may be that you have Ehlers-Danlos syndrome

People with EDS don't tend to react "normally" to local anaesthesia, particularly to the standard (novocaine?) given in dental work.  I used to have hideous problems at the dentist - I had about ten times the normal dose of novocaine to remove a wisdom tooth and it was agony.  I mentioned to my dentist that I was going through the diagnostic process for EDS, she put this into her (computerised) records system and it flashed up to give me a different local anaesthetic.

I then had a root canal (on a front tooth) with the alternate anaesthetic and not only did the numbness "take" really quickly, I only needed about half the normal amount.

Hey there, fellow EDSer :) *waves* - yep, I have exactly the same problem. 8 cartridges didn't numb me - I had to go to the dental hospital to have my stuff done.

iridaceae

• Boring in real life as well
And I'm not very flexible don't have red hair and novocaine doesn't always work on me. The (mild) Tylenol with codeine I took after I got my wisdom teeth out (all 4 at once- it took between 9 and 12 shots to numb me enough to dig into my gums and extract them) did zero for me. I might as well have been taking sugar pills.

I apparently inherited it from my mother who had the same problem.

Margo

I think it's very, very easy to get the injection in the wrong place, for a lot of dental work, so if you're unlucky, or if your teeth have wonky roots so the nerves don't run quite where they're expected to, you can have lots of anaesthetic without it helping at all.

(I have to look it up every time I go to the dentist, but there is one common dental anaesthetic which does nothing whatsoever for my pain, but which does cause me to pass out as soon as I stand up, about 50% of the time. Which is interesting for everyone. Since I'm terrified of dentists, i did suggest to them that they should give me that, let me pass out,and then do the work before waking me up, but they wouldn't play :-) )