Author Topic: Spilling something/messing up twice (or more) in rapid succession  (Read 2268 times)

Clair Seulement

For the also-bored: last night before bed, my husband knocked over the plastic tumbler of water on his nightstand when turning off the light. We cleaned it up, he refreshed the water, and then *promptly dropped the cup again* in the course of replacing it on the nightstand. We were in absolute hysterics. This prompted me to recall the time that I spilled a good portion of some iced coffee I was trying to make in my freezer, only to dutifully spill the rest of the coffee over everything again the second I'd finished carefully emptying all the freezer contents and wiping them off. A third example is the time an acquaintance got in *two* fender-benders  his *first day* on the job as a delivery driver...

Does anyone else find this funny/care to share their own similar tales? For fans of comedians Bob Odenkirk and David Cross, a similarly themed sketch was featured on their late-'90s HBO series "Mr. Show" (linked below). Maybe this is why I find this so funny. Maybe I should just get back to work?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TyrM7GxyzGg

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
Re: Spilling something/messing up twice (or more) in rapid succession
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2012, 03:02:19 PM »
I've done this with coffee. Once, three different mishaps in a row. Just goes to prove I really needed that coffee.

I wish I could remember the exact sequence, but it went something like:
(1) Forgot to put in grounds, brewed a pot of plain water.
(2) Added grounds. Poured water directly into filter instead of reservoir. Made mess.
(3) Added water to reservoir. Forgot I had done this, and tried to add another pot of water to the reservoir. Made mess.

After this I finally succeeded in making coffee.

Clair Seulement

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2012, 03:29:46 PM »
I've done this with coffee. Once, three different mishaps in a row. Just goes to prove I really needed that coffee.

(2) Added grounds. Poured water directly into filter instead of reservoir. Made mess.
(3) Added water to reservoir. Forgot I had done this, and tried to add another pot of water to the reservoir. Made mess.

Heh heh thanks for another laugh! Why I am tickled so much by this, I don't know. I have, truth be told, always been a bit clumsy, so I think maybe it's therapeutic...

2littlemonkeys

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2012, 04:27:20 PM »
LOL!  I have terrible butter fingers, so it's not unusual for me to drop something 2 or 3 times before a manage to convince my brain that I'd really rather hang onto the item, thanks.

I also do this with our copy machine when I need to print something in color on special paper.  The default is B&W, regular paper.

So I go to make my copy. 

Oops!  Loaded the right paper in the bypass tray, forgot to select the color option.

Oops!  Got the color option, forgot to reload my special paper.

Oops!  Got the color and right tray, forgot to send my original through the feeder.

It's to the point where I have to talk to myself while making special copies, which presents a whole bunch of new problems... :P

NyaChan

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2012, 07:46:39 PM »
At dinner the other night - 

My friend knocks over her wine glass while talking and luckily the glass didn't break.  We manage to clean up the wine, commenting as we did so that at least she still had some wine left in there.  Unfortunately, no sooner had we mopped up the spilled wine than she set down her wine glass again with enough force to knock out the remaining wine.  I don't think she drank more than 2 sips before it was all gone  :)

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2012, 07:48:33 PM »

Coffee is always a problem because it has to be made before total awakening.

We buy whole bean coffee and grind it right before brewing.  The grinder is not always reliable.  There have been times when I started up the grinding and went to fill the pot with water.  When I came back I found that the container for the ground coffee had broken loose and coffee was all over the kitchen. 
The last thing you want to do before having coffee is cleaning coffee from the walls, floors and counter before brewing the stuff.  Now, I hug the grinder closely until the grinding is done.  It may look odd but it saves a lot of cleaning. 

LazyDaisy

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2012, 07:54:07 PM »
^See, the grinder just wants a cuddle in the morning.

I find that one slip up for me sets off a domino effect -- I spill the glass of water, then knock over the lamp while trying to clean up the water, then step on broken glass, then go face first into the wall while hopping over to the bathroom sink. A regular Chevy Chase am I. If I spill a glass of water, I'm so tempted to just go straight back to bed rather than risk cleaning it up -- one of these days I'll electrocute myself by standing in the puddle.  ::)
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams

misschristina

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2012, 07:59:31 PM »
What a funny thread!

Honestly, I am not a clumsy person, but I have my days, and those days come often  ??? It seems when one thing goes wrong everything just suddenly bottoms out. I usually have a good laugh at my own expense. I'm always amazed by the odds of some of these things actually happening!

White Dragon

• Formerly St Monica
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2012, 10:27:22 PM »
I'm just going to point out that I have posts in another thread about my first two attempts to us a mandolin slicer.

'Nuff said. ;D

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2012, 03:32:01 PM »
Not so much clumsy, but sometimes I have trouble dialing a number on the phone at work.  My brain moves faster than my finger, and it can't keep up, and I've had to try and dial it many times before I get it right.

White Dragon

• Formerly St Monica
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2012, 09:29:02 PM »
Not so much clumsy, but sometimes I have trouble dialing a number on the phone at work.  My brain moves faster than my finger, and it can't keep up, and I've had to try and dial it many times before I get it right.

Or when you go to use the calculator/phone/number pad on the keyboard and you realize your fingers are on the wrong set of keys?

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2012, 10:05:41 PM »
I got a new phone two days ago, and the texting feature works differently. However, my muscle memory had not caught up. Thus, I was seen punching the 5 really hard and me screaming "WHY DOESN'T THIS WORK...oh."  :-[
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

snowfire

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2012, 11:11:53 AM »
Many years ago I was making waffles.  I was pouring batter into the waffle iron from a metal measuring cup.  I got shocked by the waffle iron and I swung around, spewing waffle batter onto every wall in the kitchen.  Mom & I cleaned it up and like an idiot, I went back to pour in more batter.  Got shocked again, spewed batter all over the kitchen AGAIN.  Cleaned up the mess, carefully unplugged the waffle iron and threw it in the trash where it made a most satisfying CLANNNNGGGGGG!

My best guess is that something was shorting inside the waffle iron and it arced when I got near it with the metal measuring cup.  It was older than I was at the time so I didn't have any heartburn getting a new one.

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2012, 11:28:58 AM »
Oh, that reminds me--high school chem lab. I accidentally knocked over a bottle of some chemical with a sheaf of papers I was carrying. I whirled around to notify someone I'd broken a bottle and spilled chemicals on the floor...while still holding the sheaf of papers, which knocked some glass stirring rods off another counter. Whoops.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2012, 01:09:22 PM »
I did this with coffee this morning.  I am lazy, and foggy in the morning, so making coffee for just me has to be done with the least amount of effort and cleanup.  So the way I do it is I use a small mini-strainer, put a filter in it, and coffee. I then place this over the cup, and pour boiling water over it.  But I'm impatient, and someones pour too fast, which causes the side of the filter to fall down, and spill water and coffee all over my counter.  THis morning I did it twice. 

And with a new phone, the first time I got one with a qwerty keyboard, I started to text going "aaa" for the letter c, and so on, and wondered why on earthy all i saw was gibberish!  Took mea while to figure out I only need to hit one letter once!