Author Topic: Dear Abby - 3/12/12, first letter  (Read 6448 times)

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
Re: Dear Abby - 3/12/12, first letter
« Reply #60 on: March 16, 2012, 06:40:50 PM »
"Did you pick up the bananas? Did you pick up the bananas? Did! You! Pick! Up! The! Bananas?"

After half a dozen repetitions, I want to grab the phone and yell into it, "SHE WANTS TO KNOW IF YOU PICKED UP THE #*@$#* BANANAS!"

Haha! OT but it reminds me of that episode on Family Guy where Stewie is stuck in an elevator with a man on a cell phone who keeps saying "Are you gonna pick me up? Are you gonna pick me up?" ad nauseaum.  :D

Aaaaa! I was about as annoyed as Stewie.  :P
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

kareng57

• Super Hero!
« Reply #61 on: March 16, 2012, 09:42:30 PM »
I was standing in line behind someone at a bank once, and they were having an intense conversation on their cellphone.  I tried not to listen, so I people-watched, stared at the ceiling, etc.  The phone-talker turned around and snapped at me, "Do you mind?  I'm on the phone!" as though I had stood there to purposely eavesdrop.  Then, when the bank teller called her to the front desk, he asked her to put her phone away and she refused.  So, he told her, very politely, "If you won't put your phone away then I can't help you."  The branch manager came over and backed the teller all the way, so she finally ended her conversation, but not without a couple of nasty comments into the phone about how "unreasonable" the people at the bank were being by making her hang up.  I got the same teller after she left, talking on the phone again and apologizing to whoever she was talking to about having to hang up because of the unreasonable bank people, and I told the teller, "Good job."  He told me that he wasn't allowed to serve someone talking on a cellphone.  I also told the manager that I was glad he backed the teller up the way he did.

Kudos to this bank and any other business that enforces cell phone rules.  Here's a link to some funny and smart signs put up by businesses.  I could not agree more on how rude it is to carry on a cell phone conversation (or any conversation) while ignoring people who are there to help you! 

Here's the link.  I love this site!  I'm sure the eHellions will enjoy it!

http://www.passiveaggressivenotes.com/2010/02/25/counter-attack/

Oh, those are good.

Years ago I helped out with trade-shows that were held semi-annually at a popular but conservative golf-and-country club (the same one that I mentioned previously that had a strict no-denim dress code).  They also had a "no cell phones" rule.  There was a big sign at the entrance and it did appear that they did not want any cell phones brought onto the premises, period - although I honestly don't think that they'd have had a problem if someone had theirs on vibrate and they went outside to complete the call.

Anyway - my organization was getting the facility at no charge, but of course that meant that we, along with the facility staff, had to enforce the rules.  The attendees were mainly women in their 20s and 30s - and I got plenty of "entitled" replies when I politely explained the cell phone rules.  "But, this is long distance!"  Okay, how is that my problem?

MacadamiaNut

• These pretzels are making me thirsty.
« Reply #62 on: March 17, 2012, 12:14:03 AM »
I was standing in line behind someone at a bank once, and they were having an intense conversation on their cellphone.  I tried not to listen, so I people-watched, stared at the ceiling, etc.  The phone-talker turned around and snapped at me, "Do you mind?  I'm on the phone!" as though I had stood there to purposely eavesdrop.  Then, when the bank teller called her to the front desk, he asked her to put her phone away and she refused.  So, he told her, very politely, "If you won't put your phone away then I can't help you."  The branch manager came over and backed the teller all the way, so she finally ended her conversation, but not without a couple of nasty comments into the phone about how "unreasonable" the people at the bank were being by making her hang up.  I got the same teller after she left, talking on the phone again and apologizing to whoever she was talking to about having to hang up because of the unreasonable bank people, and I told the teller, "Good job."  He told me that he wasn't allowed to serve someone talking on a cellphone.  I also told the manager that I was glad he backed the teller up the way he did.

Kudos to this bank and any other business that enforces cell phone rules.  Here's a link to some funny and smart signs put up by businesses.  I could not agree more on how rude it is to carry on a cell phone conversation (or any conversation) while ignoring people who are there to help you! 

Here's the link.  I love this site!  I'm sure the eHellions will enjoy it!

http://www.passiveaggressivenotes.com/2010/02/25/counter-attack/

Oh, those are good.

Years ago I helped out with trade-shows that were held semi-annually at a popular but conservative golf-and-country club (the same one that I mentioned previously that had a strict no-denim dress code).  They also had a "no cell phones" rule.  There was a big sign at the entrance and it did appear that they did not want any cell phones brought onto the premises, period - although I honestly don't think that they'd have had a problem if someone had theirs on vibrate and they went outside to complete the call.

Anyway - my organization was getting the facility at no charge, but of course that meant that we, along with the facility staff, had to enforce the rules.  The attendees were mainly women in their 20s and 30s - and I got plenty of "entitled" replies when I politely explained the cell phone rules.  "But, this is long distance!"  Okay, how is that my problem?

You're so right - it's not your problem!
Paperweights, for instance - has anyone ever established what, when, and why
paper has to be weighed down? ::) ~Don Aslett

melicious

« Reply #63 on: March 17, 2012, 12:16:18 AM »
"Did you pick up the bananas? Did you pick up the bananas? Did! You! Pick! Up! The! Bananas?"

After half a dozen repetitions, I want to grab the phone and yell into it, "SHE WANTS TO KNOW IF YOU PICKED UP THE #*@$#* BANANAS!"

Haha! OT but it reminds me of that episode on Family Guy where Stewie is stuck in an elevator with a man on a cell phone who keeps saying "Are you gonna pick me up? Are you gonna pick me up?" ad nauseaum.  :D

Aaaaa! I was about as annoyed as Stewie.  :P

Same! It's obviously not etiquette approved but I'd probably do the same thing he did to the man! ;)

Clair Seulement

« Reply #64 on: March 17, 2012, 01:04:11 AM »
A mere couple of years ago I rode a bus line that was strict on No Cell Phone Use. Nobody died or successfully sued, that I know of; as for me, I managed to get all my masters-degree reading done and go to bed at a decent hour.

Speaking of. If any a'yous are ever in NYC, check out the Ear Inn on Spring Street waaaaay the heck west near Greenwich St.--one of the oldest bars in the city with a "No Cell Phones" rule enthusiastically enforced (with a brogue, if you're there at the right time). Saliently, un-enforced go the "no drinks outside" rule, as well as the unwritten "dumpy-looking places are terrible" rule.

So far we're lucky that the NYC subway system is, by nature of being buried beneath asphalt, a phone-free zone; a recent trip to Chicago showed me just what we're in for if Bloomberg has his way and service is brought to the subway tunnels.

I pledge that my first act as multi-millionaire will be to fund the installation of Faraday cages around theaters. And whatever else I can afford, muahahaha

diesel_darlin

« Reply #65 on: March 17, 2012, 05:06:10 PM »
A friend and I attended a multi-day conference this weekend, held by a well known female evangelist. I was quite impressed with the cell phone users in the crowd. There were multiple videos played before the start of the session asking everyone to silence their cell phones, and turn off the flash on their phones/cameras. I never saw the first flash, or heard anyone talking loudly on their cell phones.  ;D