Author Topic: I didn't mean to come off that way  (Read 2020 times)

SPuck

I didn't mean to come off that way
« on: March 27, 2012, 12:33:15 PM »
So I received a call from a company today concerning a position. They still hadn't even finalized the paper work for a description of the position, but they wanted to give me a heads up because they had my resume on file and liked it. I called back a couple of hours later because I hadn't received an e-mail about the position. I was a little worried about the e-mail because I know from previous experience that the L in my e-mail address may be mistaken for a lower case i. I talked to the same lady again, she explained that she was busy finalizing everything, and she understood my enthusiasm.

She also didn't let me explain why I was calling back so quickly, and that I as just concerned about the e-mail address. I haven't blown my chances have I? As long as apologize, and explain my misgivings when she sends me the e-mail I should be in the clear, right?

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
Re: I didn't mean to come off that way
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2012, 12:39:22 PM »
no, no--don't apologize and explain about your misgivings.

Just wait a few days. Or maybe about a week.

And THEN drop her an e-mail w/ a fresh resume.

Apologizing and explaining about your misgivings will only emphasize the original error in timing.

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2012, 12:57:27 PM »
I was a little worried about the e-mail because I know from previous experience that the L in my e-mail address may be mistaken for a lower case i.

For the time being at least, give her the benefit of the doubt that she can read and interpret your email address correctly.  Most businesses pay attention to details and try to make very sure they have the correct address.  If you didn't dot that lower case L, she'll probably recognize it as an "l" not an "i".

EmmaJ.

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2012, 01:07:24 PM »
I think you're ok.  Enthusiasm is a good thing!

BTW, the powers-that-be here at work decided our email addresses will be our first initial, the first four letters of our last name, followed by two numbers.  The two numbers are always 01 (zero one).  So, if my last name were Jones, my email address would be ejone01.  Unless there is an Edward Jones - he would become ejone02.

But the "zero one" is always confused with the letters O and L.   :(

SPuck

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2012, 01:12:32 PM »
Okay good. I'll just drop it for now. As for time line issues. I was under the assumption that I would be getting it rather quickly. She told me to look over it then get back to her this afternoon or tomorrow whenever I received it so. I guess what she meant was that it will come this afternoon or tomorrow.

MacadamiaNut

• These pretzels are making me thirsty.
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2012, 08:40:27 PM »
Okay good. I'll just drop it for now. As for time line issues. I was under the assumption that I would be getting it rather quickly. She told me to look over it then get back to her this afternoon or tomorrow whenever I received it so. I guess what she meant was that it will come this afternoon or tomorrow.

It wouldn't hurt if you called her back towards the end of the day tomorrow to follow up.  Do you have her email address?  That would be the best way to follow up since then she could (hopefully) just reply to your (correct) email with the job description attached. 
Paperweights, for instance - has anyone ever established what, when, and why
paper has to be weighed down? ::) ~Don Aslett

SPuck

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2012, 09:41:40 PM »
Everything is fine now. She sent me the job description and is still interested as long as I am interested. I'm just not going to mention it, and hope for the best.

MacadamiaNut

• These pretzels are making me thirsty.
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2012, 10:16:18 PM »
Oh yes, definitely don't mention the explanation of why you first called.  I'm pretty sure she thought nothing of it.  My advice of follow up was just referring to following up on not having received the job description and to make sure it didn't get "lost in the mail" - I should have been more clear. 

Glad you got it and good luck!
Paperweights, for instance - has anyone ever established what, when, and why
paper has to be weighed down? ::) ~Don Aslett

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2012, 08:10:13 AM »
I was a little worried about the e-mail because I know from previous experience that the L in my e-mail address may be mistaken for a lower case i.

For the time being at least, give her the benefit of the doubt that she can read and interpret your email address correctly.  Most businesses pay attention to details and try to make very sure they have the correct address.  If you didn't dot that lower case L, she'll probably recognize it as an "l" not an "i".

And it'll bounce back, and she'll say, "huh, what happened?" and figure it out.

Don't worry too much about that sort of stuff.

And, check the font on your resume, and use one that has a stronger definition of characters. And stop worrying about this.