Author Topic: Re-applying for a job  (Read 1207 times)

Larien83

Re-applying for a job
« on: March 24, 2012, 05:07:45 PM »
Can or should you reapply for a job for which you've already had an interview? (for example 6 months or a year ago)

SoCalVal

Re: Re-applying for a job
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2012, 06:50:16 PM »
I don't see why you can't; it means the job is available again.  You also don't know how close you were to being hired the first time around (the job I have now is the 2nd job to which I applied and for which I was interviewed in my dept; while a different job, it's the same position classification but supporting one half of the department while the first one was supporting the other half of the department).  If I had tanked the first interview, I doubt I would've been considered the 2nd time I applied for a job in my dept.

There was job for which I was under consideration a few years ago but went to someone else (I was temping in that position but didn't get selected for the career slot -- I was one of 2-3 in the final running).  A few months later, I saw that same position was posted again (and wasn't at all surprised as I knew what a tough job it was and was surprised at who was selected as it was a really demanding position).  I was going to apply again but then learned from the recruiter that the person who left originally (who I temped behind until they hired someone new) decided her new job wasn't working out and opted to come back (so I didn't get to apply again after all but would've in a heartbeat because I loved working for that practice).

MacadamiaNut

• These pretzels are making me thirsty.
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2012, 07:37:52 PM »
Can or should you reapply for a job for which you've already had an interview? (for example 6 months or a year ago)

Sure you can (and good luck to you if you do!  :)). 

The only time I would recommend you don't is if in the first round you were given specific feedback about why you didn't qualify, for sake of an example, let's say it was because you didn't know PowerPoint.  If you still have not learned PowerPoint and the job is at the same company with potentially the same HR or hiring managers, you might be wasting your time and viewed as wasting theirs.

I had a guy apply to a job opening and after selection, I took the time to give him very detailed feedback on why he was not hired.  There were very specific, but basic knowledge and skill requirements that he lacked.  He applied for another of my openings a year later (which had all of the same requirements as the first opening), but nothing on his resume was different.  I just did this  ::) and tossed his resume in the "no" pile right away.  Now let's say he had gained those skills and then applied a year later for a third opening, it would have been too late.  He already made a bad impression (bad listening skills) and I would toss his resume in the "no" pile again without even a second thought.

I'm not saying I think you're this guy.  Just providing an example.  :)
Paperweights, for instance - has anyone ever established what, when, and why
paper has to be weighed down? ::) ~Don Aslett

DaisyG

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2012, 11:38:25 AM »
In my last job we were expanding the dept. and interviewed a woman who was very good but in the end we decided to go with someone else. About 9 months later, someone left the dept. and this woman applied again, had a very good interview and got the job and was very good at it, so it can work out.

Bluenomi

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2012, 08:17:29 PM »
I did that and got the job. The first time they hired someone else and she ended up leaving a few months later so readvertised it. I got it the second time.

Ceallach

• This Is It
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2012, 08:57:05 PM »
Definitely re-apply.   It's been awhile, and chances are that you were simply not the preferred candidate at the time - perhaps there was somebody slightly better at the time, or simply too many to choose from.  I had 300 applicants for a junior admin role recently, and filled the role within 4 days of advertising.  Many applications arrived after that time, but quite frankly I didn't have time to sit down and go through them all - I'd already found a great candidate.  I may need to advertise another admin role within the next few months, and I hope good candidates will re-apply.

On the other side of things, unfortunately I have undesirable candidates who re-apply constantly, even applying multiple times to the exact same advertisement (yes, they're not even keeping track of what they're applying to!)  They'll never be successful, but it's not appropriate for me to contact them to explain that they're wasting their time.
"Nobody can do everything, but everybody can do something"