Author Topic: Please don't tag me!  (Read 4211 times)

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
Please don't tag me!
« on: March 12, 2012, 04:44:19 PM »
So a distant cousin (actually a cousin of my dad's) is one of my fbook friends and I think a lot of times he lets his young daughter play with his account to play games, I guess.   Today he (or she),, but I think it was him as he wrote "I don't know where she was but she had gum".  The picture is a close up with a piece of chewed gum between her teeth. *ew!*

And I'm no where in this pic and have no idea why I was tagged in it other than so I could see it.  If he posted it to his profile I'd see it and I'm guessing he's just not too familiar with fbook. 

I'm hoping it wouldn't be too terrible of me to just remove the tag and just hope they won't notice? I really don't know how to say "Please don't tag me in pictures where your child is showing her ABC (already been chewed) gum" politely.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Perfect Circle

• Buy the sky and sell the sky and bleed the sky...
Re: Please don't tag me!
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2012, 04:55:28 PM »
Of course it isn't.

You can also set your privacy settings not to allow tagging.
Maybe he's caught in the legend
maybe he's caught in the mood
Maybe these maps and legends
Have been misunderstood

The map that you painted didn't seem real
He just sings whatever he's seen
Point to the legend, point to the east
Point to the yellow, red, and green

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2012, 04:59:41 PM »
Well I don't mind tagging if I'm actually in the picture or was present at the event the picture was taken, or even if my kids were there and the person wants me to have a picture of my own child that they took.  That is, I believe, what tagging is meant for.

But as I was not present or in the picture, and the child is not mine, I do not want to be tagged.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Jones

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2012, 05:02:26 PM »
I've had to untag myself several times. I finally unfriended the person who kept tagging me; she hasn't said anything to me about it yet, and it's been about a week. She never said anything about the untagging either. I vote "not rude".

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2012, 05:05:40 PM »
Well good, cause I untagged myself. :) Thanks for relieving my conscience.  The kid's cute but I just don't want to see her chewed up gum, let alone on my wall.  Sorry, I don't think that's cute.

sweetonsno

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2012, 05:12:23 PM »
Remove the tag and change your settings so you have to approve all future tags.

MrTango

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2012, 05:17:23 PM »

POD.

Queen of Clubs

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2012, 05:45:09 PM »

How do you do this?  I've looked all around my settings but never found anything that'd stop someone from tagging me.

I'd love to be able to stop a friend from tagging me.  I'm not in any of the photos she tags me in, but I'll often get onto Facebook to find a random picture (a Christmas tree, a snowy scene, a puppy...) posted on my wall as a photo of me, plus a stack of notifications about being tagged and the string of total strangers who have commented on this photo of 'me'.  Then I have to go untag myself and find the link to delete the pic off my profile.  I know she does it to draw my attention to the picture, but I find it extremely irritating.  I hoped she'd take the hint from me untagging myself every time, but no.

WhiteTigerCub

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2012, 06:58:55 PM »
I think people who do it are afraid you will miss the post in your newsfeed and think that it may be something you'd want to see, or they want you to know they are thinking about you, albeit in a rather roundabout way.

It seems to just alert me to the newsfeed post. I've never noticed the post show up in my personal profile after I have untagged myself.

Arizona

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2012, 07:18:45 PM »
I have tagged other people when iw ant to be sure they see the picture, and when I'm pretty sure a large number of their Facebook friends will want to see it.

Like when my friend's kid is over (we're babysitting), and he does something cute, and we take a picture. I'll put it up and tag her. (She puts her own kid on Facebook, so I'm sure she doesn't mind.) That way his grandparents, aunts, godparents, family friends, etc., get to see him being cute as well.

darkprincess

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2012, 04:43:10 PM »
I have also made it so I have to approve all tags of me. I do find it annoying when people tag me on a picture just to make sure I see it. If they want me to see the photo they can send me a private message, an email with an attachment, a text, they can mail it to me . . .

However when a person tags someone they are electronically saying that the person they tagged is in the photo. This can confuse people who then see the photo and wonder what kind of statement is being made, or was I in constume, did I attend the event the photo is in.

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2012, 05:34:55 PM »
I have tagged other people when iw ant to be sure they see the picture, and when I'm pretty sure a large number of their Facebook friends will want to see it.

Like when my friend's kid is over (we're babysitting), and he does something cute, and we take a picture. I'll put it up and tag her. (She puts her own kid on Facebook, so I'm sure she doesn't mind.) That way his grandparents, aunts, godparents, family friends, etc., get to see him being cute as well.

I buy stuff for my cousin's kid (cause she lets him play with the awesome stuff I buy him, like the Slimy Squishy Polymer Fun kit I got him, and the gun that shoots plastic bugs unlike my other relatives with kids who don't appreciate these treasures) and she always tags me in photos of him playing with his super awesome messy stuff.

My dad tags me in historical photos all the time as well, if they are somehow relevant to my life (taken by my great grandpa, or the house I lived in from birth to 2 years - even if the photo is older, etc).

CLE_Girl

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2012, 02:39:28 PM »

How do you do this?  I've looked all around my settings but never found anything that'd stop someone from tagging me.

This is how I have my profile set - under PRIVACY SETTINGS, there is a link to PROFILE AND TAGGING.  The 4th option down is "review posts friends tag you in before they appear on your profile."  Change that to "ON," then you will get a notification when someone tags you in a post or a picture, then you have approve the tag before it will show up.

Also - after you've removed a tag of yourself from a picture, you can't be re-tagged in that picture.

Queen of Clubs

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2012, 02:45:52 PM »

This is how I have my profile set - under PRIVACY SETTINGS, there is a link to PROFILE AND TAGGING.  The 4th option down is "review posts friends tag you in before they appear on your profile."  Change that to "ON," then you will get a notification when someone tags you in a post or a picture, then you have approve the tag before it will show up.

Also - after you've removed a tag of yourself from a picture, you can't be re-tagged in that picture.

Ahhh, thank you!  I misread that option every single time and thought turning it 'off' meant people couldn't tag me...then wondered how people stopped others from tagging them!  Duuuh!  It's changed now.  ;D

Adoptstrays

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2012, 12:53:17 PM »
yep that is what I have also. I have to approve whether or not I want to be tagged in a photo. Love, love, love that option.