Author Topic: Cake Balls!  (Read 2272 times)

Aeris

• Super Hero!
Cake Balls!
« on: March 16, 2012, 04:11:43 AM »
So I made these amazing treats this past Thanksgiving for a potluck party to rave responses. I made two kinds: red velvet cake, and an amazing pumpkin recipe that ends up almost identical in both taste and texture to pumpkin pie.

A friend of mine liked them so much he has asked me to make them again for his birthday shindig later this month, and I'm thrilled to have such a positive response! I like adding something new every time I make something though, so I've decided I'd like to make a smaller batch of both the red velvet and pumpkin (he requested both), but also try a new third kind.

But what kind to make?

Any recommendations or ideas? I thought about cookies and cream, but the recipe for that is essentially chopping up oreos, and I want to do something a little more handmade. Thinking I don't want to do a super rich chocolately something, as that would be too similar to the red velvet.

What do you think? Lemon? Some sort of attempt at a key lime flavor? What kind of cake would be a good addition to the group? Has anyone tried any particular flavors/recipes of cake balls that worked really well?

MacadamiaNut

• These pretzels are making me thirsty.
Re: Cake Balls!
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2012, 09:36:50 AM »
Lemon sounds delicious.  Also, coconut!
Paperweights, for instance - has anyone ever established what, when, and why
paper has to be weighed down? ::) ~Don Aslett

The703

• Formerly ND Fan
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2012, 10:30:30 AM »
How about a white chocolate raspberry cheesecake flavor? It's sounds so good. Can you tell that I am eating better and can't have it?

buvezdevin

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2012, 11:11:25 AM »
They all sound delicious!  I would personally vote for something chocolate based (I know red velvet has cocoa, but it isn't overtly chocolate).  That said, lemon is one of my favorite flavorings, but I have not yet found a lemon cake recipe that is as lemony as I would wish - if you find one, please share!
Never refuse to do a kindness unless the act would work great injury to yourself, and never refuse to take a drink -- under any circumstances.
Mark Twain

MacadamiaNut

• These pretzels are making me thirsty.
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2012, 11:18:19 AM »
One more I just thought of: Carrot cake.  (but that might be too close to the pumpkin you're already making).
Paperweights, for instance - has anyone ever established what, when, and why
paper has to be weighed down? ::) ~Don Aslett

Zilla

• Super Hero!
    • Cooking
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2012, 11:31:24 AM »
If doing chocolate, how about pairing it with a fruit for a twist and to lighten up the chocolate.

Like a chocolate and orange or chocolate and strawberries etc.  Heck with the choc/straw you can do a whipped cream in there to stimulate a chocolate covered strawberry and whipped cream.

shygirl

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2012, 02:54:11 PM »
What about funfetti?  That's not really a flavor though, just regular yellow cake with sprinkles.  But it's fun!

Actually, the real reason I posted is because I was wondering if you could post the recipe for the pumpkin cake balls?  I loooooove pumpkin pie and cake balls/pops.  So I would love to try to make it!

Aeris

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2012, 05:36:46 PM »
What about funfetti?  That's not really a flavor though, just regular yellow cake with sprinkles.  But it's fun!

Actually, the real reason I posted is because I was wondering if you could post the recipe for the pumpkin cake balls?  I loooooove pumpkin pie and cake balls/pops.  So I would love to try to make it!

Of course!

While I make the red velvet cake from scratch, the pumpkin recipe calls for a box mix, and I haven't experimented enough to be solid on doing it *entirely* from scratch yet. The recipe is from this website:

http://havesporkwilltravel.blogspot.com/2009/10/pumpkin-pie-balls.html

I increased some of the spices by 2X, but that's primarily a question of preference. I also use my own from scratch cream cheese frosting which is a lot lighter, fluffier, softer, and not nearly as *sweet* as the canned variety. (I sometimes think using canned frosting or oversweet scratch frostings can make cake balls so sweet no one will eat more than one, or even half of one.)

Aeris

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2012, 05:38:17 PM »
One more I just thought of: Carrot cake.  (but that might be too close to the pumpkin you're already making).

You know, I was thinking about carrot cake what with Easter and all. It would be a pretty different taste than the other two, but the color would be similar to the pumpkin pie ones....hmm....

Aeris

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2012, 05:40:41 PM »
How about a white chocolate raspberry cheesecake flavor? It's sounds so good. Can you tell that I am eating better and can't have it?

Oh, now that would be interesting! I'd have to figure out how to mimic the texture of cheesecake without actually doing cheesecake though... Or maybe I could use cheesecake as the 'frosting' with a raspberry cake? And then dipped in white chocolate...

Aeris

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2012, 05:44:17 PM »
They all sound delicious!  I would personally vote for something chocolate based (I know red velvet has cocoa, but it isn't overtly chocolate).  That said, lemon is one of my favorite flavorings, but I have not yet found a lemon cake recipe that is as lemony as I would wish - if you find one, please share!

I'm eying the Joy of Baking's Lemon Cake recipe - it seems to be a pound cake recipe with lemon zest and fresh lemon juice in the cake batter. If I did that, I might make a lemon-mascarpone frosting to mix in, and use the 'lemon glaze' the recipe calls for as the dipping shell, instead of white chocolate.

Yay new experiments!

The703

• Formerly ND Fan
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2012, 06:46:50 PM »

Oh, now that would be interesting! I'd have to figure out how to mimic the texture of cheesecake without actually doing cheesecake though... Or maybe I could use cheesecake as the 'frosting' with a raspberry cake? And then dipped in white chocolate...

That sounds divine. If you need someone to taste test I will volunteer.  ;D

Aeris

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2012, 07:08:13 PM »

That sounds divine. If you need someone to taste test I will volunteer.  ;D

Or even better:

http://steamykitchen.com/14149-red-velvet-cheesecake-pops.html

I could replace the red velvet cake in that recipe with a raspberry cake. Those could be epic.

kckgirl

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2012, 07:31:16 PM »
Can you incorporate strawberries somehow, similar to strawberry shortcake?
Maryland

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2012, 07:56:01 PM »

I'm eying the Joy of Baking's Lemon Cake recipe - it seems to be a pound cake recipe with lemon zest and fresh lemon juice in the cake batter. If I did that, I might make a lemon-mascarpone frosting to mix in, and use the 'lemon glaze' the recipe calls for as the dipping shell, instead of white chocolate.

Yay new experiments!

This gets my vote.

I looove lemon pound cake. Instead of the mascarpone, I would stick with the lemon glaze. Just because the pumpkin and other choices are heavy in flavor . . . a simple glaze makes this a lighter choice. Does that make sense?

I'm not a huge fan of frosting. So I may be biased. :-\