Author Topic: Ideas for Kumquats  (Read 905 times)

jilly

Ideas for Kumquats
« on: March 17, 2012, 12:59:58 PM »
They looked cute so I bought some but have no idea what to do with them. Ideas please?

EmmaJ.

Re: Ideas for Kumquats
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2012, 12:17:03 PM »
Oh, lucky you!  There was a kumquat tree in our back yard when I was growing up. 

I've only had them two ways - eaten straight from the tree (peel and all is edible) or my mom would make marmalade from them.

EmmaJ.

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2012, 12:22:13 PM »
After I wrote a reply, I went out and Googled kumquat recipes.  This looks wonderful!   :)  http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/candied_kumquats/

Now I have to go find a local produce stand with kumquats so I can try this (the kumquat tree got damaged in a hurricane years ago and is long gone). 

jilly

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2012, 03:04:52 PM »
I had no idea they were good to just eat. I've never seen them before :-[ I can't wait to try now  :)

EmmaJ.

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2012, 03:42:35 PM »
I had no idea they were good to just eat. I've never seen them before :-[ I can't wait to try now  :)

Since they look just like a small oval orange, most folks try to peel them.  The peel is actually very very thin (no white membrane or pith).  It tastes tart and citrus-y.  No bitterness at all.

Tell me what you think when you do taste them.

jilly

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2012, 04:17:57 AM »
They taste like a really sweet orange mixed with a lime. Sweet first with a sharp finish perfect for breakfast with honey Greek yogurt. Love them

oz diva

• The Classics are SO last Century
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2012, 05:03:55 AM »
I cut them in half, deseed them, freeze them and eventually turn them into marmalade. So yummy.

Victoria

jilly

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2012, 07:31:29 AM »
At 4.50/lb I think I will keep them as a treat but they are so yummy :)

sweetonsno

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2012, 03:47:03 PM »
I'll be darned. It's on Google books. Crescent Dragonwagon (one of my favorite cookbook authors) has a recipe for marinated olives that includes kumquats. You can find it in Passionate Vegetarian.

2 quarts assorted olives, some in brine (CD recommends a mix, some in brine, some salt-cured, some dried, etc.... just stay away from the canned kind!)
1/2 to 1 lb kumquats, halved and seeded
6 cloves of garlic, peeled and half-smashed
1/4-1/3 c. olive oil
1/4-1/3 c. cider vinegar
1 T. dried red chile flakes (or 5-6 whole dried red chills, broken up)
1 T. fennel seeds
1 T. cracked coriander seeds
1 T. coarsely ground black pepper
4 bay leaves
2 small branches thyme leaves

Drain the olives, reserving about 1 1/2 c. brine. Briefly rinse the brine-cured olives. Combine the olives, garlic, and kumquats. Add the olive oil, vinegar, chile flakes, fennel seeds, coriander seeds, black pepper, bay leaves, thyme leaves, and reserved brine. Toss to combine. Let marinate in a glass gallon jar for 2 days, tossing now and then. Serve at room temperature. (You can also keep adding olives and brine. Just keep the kumquats submerged, or they'll spoil, CD says.)