Author Topic: Too old for that hair?  (Read 5897 times)

Knitterly

• That other knitting blog
Too old for that hair?
« on: March 18, 2012, 05:24:00 PM »
I guess this isn't really an etiquette issue as much as it is just a general curiosity. 

Do you think you can be "too old" for a certain hairstyle?  What if you're technically "too old", but you don't look too old and the hairstyle is cute on you?

I've got my hair in pigtails (two braids) this afternoon .  I like it.  I'm trying to grow my hair long and the pigtails are nice and easy and keep my hair out of my face.   I wore pigtails through all of my early and mid 20s.  I'm now approaching my mid-30s.  I look like i"m in my mid 20s with the pigtails, but look exactly my age without them. 

Do you think it's silly for a 30 (or even a 40 or 50) something woman to wear pigtails?

What about other hairstyles?  Do you think there's such a thing as too old?

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
Re: Too old for that hair?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2012, 05:29:50 PM »
I think there are definitely hairstyles we associate with different ages - pigtails on younger girls, for example :)  Obviously you can wear your hair any way you want, but you also have to take the bad with the good - in this case, you have to accept that people will react to you in part based on your appearance.  If you want to wear pigtails, they'll treat you differently than if you wear your hair in a bun or in a newsanchor-style sculpted look.  Same goes for color - you're never too old for green hair, but don't be surprised if people treat you differently because of it.

Completely aside from that, though, I think there are hairstyles that just flat-out don't look good on people once their hair starts to change with age.  Balding guys with long ponytails skeeve me out, as do balding guys with bad combovers :P  I think there are certainly some women who wear their hair long even when their hair is thinning too much to look good that way, but it's still their choice.  (And I'll probably be one of them someday.)

SiotehCat

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2012, 05:30:14 PM »
I didn't know those were pigtails. I wear my hair in two braids sometimes because it feels lighter than one braid. My hair is past my waist, about mid thigh. I don't have many options.

I'm in my mid twenties, but I am not going to stop wearing a certain hairstyle when I get to any age.

Knitterly

• That other knitting blog
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2012, 05:38:09 PM »
I didn't know those were pigtails. I wear my hair in two braids sometimes because it feels lighter than one braid. My hair is past my waist, about mid thigh. I don't have many options.

I'm in my mid twenties, but I am not going to stop wearing a certain hairstyle when I get to any age.

Oooh, jealous!  I'm trying to grow my hair long.  I want it down to my waist.  I've never had hair that long in my life and I think it's so pretty.  :)

yokozbornak

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2012, 05:50:41 PM »
I don't think there is a blanket rule - you just have to wear what is most comfortable and flattering to you.   The shape of your face and type of hair (thick, thin, curly, etc.) determine a flattering look more than age.  I think certain "rules" are followed because they work for most people, but that doesn't mean that exceptions are unflattering.  For example,  many "mature" woman wear shorter hair because it counteracts sagging skin and tends to give a more youthful appearance.  That doesn't mean long hair on an older woman is always unflattering.

I will sometimes wear two small ponytails when I am wearing a cute cap, but it is not a style that I would ever wear except in an extremely casual setting.  I have a friend in her late 40s who rocks spiky hair that is a different color every other week usually with a pair of glasses to match.  I could never pull that look off, but it really works for her.

Cz. Burrito

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2012, 05:53:07 PM »
I think the context is relevant.  I'm in my 30s.  In the office?  Pigtails might be less appropriate.  However, I'll often wear them for bike rides because they are practical. I have a lot of hair, so a single braid is really hot on my neck.  I'll also sometimes wear pigtails at casual outdoor social activities in warm weather.

Xandraea

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2012, 06:03:45 PM »
While of course people will judge others based on appearance, hairstyle is a personal choice.  I think whatever keeps your hair under control, especially based on what you are doing, is fine.  I would stay away from high pigtails (very toddler), but tying your hair back in braids is perfectly acceptable, in my book.  Hair changes, "in" style changes, whatever .. wear what's comfortable for you :)

I have been known to wear low pigtails (gathered behind the ears, resting on my shoulders) for dance lessons or yoga class (keeps hair out of my face, and I can still lay flat on my back at the end of yoga class).  I usually do not wear my hair up, as I like the way it frames my face when down.  I do recall one incident when I was at a charity banquet with my parents, sister, and some other relatives.  Teens were serving coffee and went around our table asking the adults if they'd like some, and moved on without asking me.  I commented on this and my dad said, "Maybe if you cut your hair and look your age.."  I picked up my jaw from the floor and flagged down the next teen with a coffee pot to ask for some. (Mind you, my hair is not even mid-back, just to shoulder-blade length, and I'd worn it down that eve, with a little mousse to control my natural curls, so I thought I looked plenty grown-up enough for coffee! I was 25ish at the time.)

On another note, I had pretty straight hair, with a slight wave, until my daughter was born and my hair suddenly has tons of natural curl. I fought it with a straightener for a good 4 years before learning how to manage the curl and now I love it!  With changes in what our hair WILL do, sometimes we have to adapt our personal style.

SiotehCat, I envy you your long hair! My mother had 2 girls and kept our hair chin-length growing up for easier care. I grew mine out after high school, and it's never gotten longer than it is now. I'd love to have waist-length!

yokozbornak -- your comment about your friend with ever-changing haircolour reminds me of a dance instructor I know who's long and lean with short black hair and she often has streaks of colour in it .. blue, purple, red, pink (probably did green for St. Patrick's day, haven't seen her this week haha). She's got the lively personality to go with the hair and it really works on her.  She and the studio owner have similar builds and, both 40+, can really rock the backless tops, miniskirts and 3" heeled dance shoes at showcases too!

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2012, 06:05:02 PM »
Do you think it's silly for a 30 (or even a 40 or 50) something woman to wear pigtails?

Ach! No! Nothing silly about that at all.

Wear the style that is you. Whatever you feel comfortable with, no matter what age.

Of course, pig-tails may not be appropriate for a business meeting. At a business meeting your clothes should not be casual jeans, your hair style should match the event.

Example: Uber-big-boss showed up at our company's annual 4th of July festival wearing jeans, a fancy red-white-and-blue blouse . . . and pigtails. If she's not over sixty, she's rapidly approaching the 60 yr. mark. She looked approachable. As opposed to her regular hair-in-a-bun, business suit look. It made quite an impression.

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2012, 06:28:52 PM »
If you like it and think it's flattering, keep it. The last time only girls were expected to wear pigtails was the early part of the 20th century.

I bob my hair and am told by several people: "You should grow it out! You'd look prettier that way!" but I'd rather look the way I want to when I look in the mirror.
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

veryfluffy

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2012, 07:04:35 PM »
I'm closing in on 50, and my hair is down to my bum, blonde with purple streaks.

Today in a magazine I saw a picture from a catwalk show. The model was wearing pigtails. Each one was held aloft by a helium-filled balloon.

I soooo want to try this!

Allyson

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2012, 07:33:38 PM »
There are also lots of different kinds of pigtails. Long hair in two braids is very different than what I think of as the 'childish' pigtails.

I think (just personal opinion, of course people can wear what they want) that pigtails can look silly on an adult woman if the whole outfit seems designed to put one in mind of a ten year old. There was a fashion trend that hit my friends a few years ago like this. I just don't really 'get' a 25 year old woman with pigtails tied with ribbons, ruffles on everything, and patent leather shoes. Any of those things by themselves wouldn't raise an eyebrow, but all together it is just 'a bit much' of my own personal taste. Not that I'm a fashion expert anyway.

shhh its me

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2012, 08:02:48 PM »
  You can wear you hair any way you like at any age , one thing that did occur to about pigtails ...it's a very fetishized look (I wouldn;t were pigtails with ribbons and a plaid skirt with white blouse AKA school girl unifrom, well unless my goal was to attract that type of intrest)

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2012, 09:56:01 PM »
I also agree it depends on the person, what they do, where they are, and so on.  I am 46 and have hair just past my shoulders, but layered around my face.  I used to have short short hair, but decided as I got older it wasn't that flattering.  But any longer isn't either.

I had to laugh the last time I got my hair done; I was talking to my stylist and joked that the ponytail i wear it in when I don't feel like doing my hair really isn't a style, and he finished with "unless you're 8"  Which made us both laugh, but I do wear my hair up sometimes if I'm tired, lazy or it needs washing.

kareng57

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2012, 10:22:52 PM »
Of course there's never a "too old" as long as the wearer really likes her hairstyle.  But it's also possible that it's not the most flattering style for her.

Now, please understand that this is not a "long hair always looks terrible on older women" message.  However, there's a local business where the manager is about 5'1", about mid 40s in age, and wears her unsecured hair down to mid-hip length.  Taller middle-aged women can quite often carry-off longer hair, but she's not in that category.  I really, really think that she would look much better with shorter hair, but of course it's not my busines.

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2012, 11:31:11 PM »
I've had a revelation in this thread -- low pigtails are a good way of wearing my hair up for working out/yoga and still be able to lie down flat afterwards. Can I put that in the "blinding flash of the obvious" thread? :)  I honestly have never thought of wearing pigtails as an adult because to my mind it's a childish style. But I think there are pigtails and pigtails, and not all variations look childish. It's also a matter of proportion. Pigtails alone don't necessarily look childish, but they might when combined with certain outfits, etc.

Ultimately, it's your hair and you should wear it however you want. But people are going to make some assumptions based on it. I don't think that's wrong, though. I mean, one of the reasons I wear my hair in different styles is to suit the particular occasion or event -- my hair looks more formal in a bun and more casual in a ponytail, so I'm going to wear a bun for the fancy dinner and a ponytail for the barbeque. I don't think anything's odd in someone assuming I'm a more casual person when they see me in a ponytail, because I select the hairstyle partially for the impression it will give.