Author Topic: Am I in an awkward position?  (Read 1691 times)

kelly_jeanie

Am I in an awkward position?
« on: March 18, 2012, 08:57:35 PM »
Or am I overthinking things as usual?   ;)

My (step-)dad de-friended my sister on Facebook.  I suppose the reasons aren't relevant (and the Facebook drama that led to it, which I was peripherally involved in, would probably require a thread of its own) but if it matters I think my dad is in the wrong and I'm a bit angry about it.  This happened within the last few days.

I posted as my status tonight, "Looks like a great day to grill!"  My sister liked it.  Then, my dad liked it and posted, "What are you grilling?"  I feel like I can't answer him because it would be like having a conversation in front of someone that my conversation partner has decided to pretend doesn't exist.  It's a question I usually would answer.  Am I right, has he put me in an awkward position?  I'd like to give him the benefit of the doubt and assume he did it unthinkingly, though he can be very passive-aggressive.  He's been on Facebook long enough to understand things like unsubscribing, notifications, etc.

Isometric

Re: Am I in an awkward position?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2012, 09:02:42 PM »
I'd just reply with "steaks!" I don't think your sister will be notified that he commented (unless she commented as well as liked) If you're not involved in the dispute best to be civil to both of them!

Please pass the Calgon

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2012, 09:06:47 PM »
If all your sister did was click the "like" button then I honestly dont count that as a conversation and it's fine.

My rule of thumb for FB is that my friends are my friends; if one of my friends doesn't like another...they don't have to friend them on their own page. I post to who I want in the threads started off my posts and am not gonna spend time fretting over if I posted to two people in the same thread who don't happen to be buddies.

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2012, 09:08:08 PM »
I think it depends - has he cut her off completely or just decided not to do the fb thing wiht her.  I think there can be a big difference.  I defriended somebody because I thought they were making imprudent comments about students and I don't want to be linked to those rremarks if they ever come out.  It doesn't mean I dislike that person or that I am unwilling to interact with her at all.  If dad just wants to avoid fb interaction/connection with sis then I don't think he is pretending she doesn't exist.  If he is completely cutting her off that could be a different story.

MacadamiaNut

• These pretzels are making me thirsty.
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2012, 09:11:26 PM »
True, sister won't be notified if you comment, but because of all the silly feeds on the homepage, she has more chances of seeing your comment and thus revisiting the post.  It might show up as one of those, "kelly_jeanie commented on a post on her own wall." with a link to the post.

In terms of your question, if you feel bad or awkward about it, PM him the answer instead of placing it on your wall.  It's win-win.
Paperweights, for instance - has anyone ever established what, when, and why
paper has to be weighed down? ::) ~Don Aslett

kelly_jeanie

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2012, 09:23:23 PM »
Thanks guys.  I answered factually and left it at that.

Sharnita I'm not sure.  I haven't talked to my sister yet to find out how severe this one is.  It seems based entirely on a perceived Facebook-only slight so hopefully it hasn't extended into real life.

Samantha

• Super Hero!
  • Blah Blah Blah. Insert witty comment here!
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2012, 10:15:07 PM »
Just reply. Heck, I know for a fact that someone has blocked me on Facebook (I would have blocked her, if she hadn't beat me to it), and I know that it looks confusing when one of us posts on a mutual friends wall. It actually looks as though my friend is talking to himself sometimes, but he is clearly responding to the person that has blocked me.

(C) Get Fuzzy 5.13.07

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2012, 12:09:04 AM »
Am I right, has he put me in an awkward position?

No, he hasn't. He may not even know your sister responded.

Let their dispute be between one another.

I blocked my Rude Uncle, and every now and then there's an odd thing going on--3 "likes" but only 2 names; or a comment that is sort of a non sequitur. Oh, well.