Author Topic: Do I need to provide a gluten free option?  (Read 4143 times)

shhh its me

• Super Hero!
Re: Do I need to provide a gluten free option?
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2012, 03:02:40 PM »
  It's not a meal time but you are serving a meal, therefore you made it a mealtime.  Does that make sense?  IT doesn't have to be GF pizza or several more trays it can just be a hearty salad , bowl of soup etc.   But I will say again it's your mom , you might be able to ask her (for just about any other guest I would not suggest this and BTW my mom would say "sure veggies are fine for me " and be hurt but not say anything) SO I would watch the phrasing " Mom is just veggies and dip OK , or do you want something else?"  VS "Mom I'll be serving pizza and veggies and dip and getting something GF for you.   Would you preffer a GF sandwhich or salad?"  then she can say " don't bother"

CakeBeret

« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2012, 04:20:41 PM »
  It's not a meal time but you are serving a meal, therefore you made it a mealtime.  Does that make sense?

That does make sense. I personally would choose to just have cake and a veggie platter. But DH's family would be really unhappy if there was not a meal provided.

I decided to see if I could rustle up a GF pizza, so I called Mom to ask if there was a frozen GF pizza she liked, and she said no, but there is a pizza crust mix she likes. She said she also has some GF pizza sauce that she really loves and asked me if I'd put it on the pizza for her. The crust mix is a bit pricey but I can keep the rest of it on hand for any future pizza events.
"From a procrastination standpoint, today has been wildly successful."

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2012, 05:27:14 PM »
And at least if it's a mix, you can just make a small pizza, rather than ordering/making a large one.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Eeep!

« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2012, 04:05:54 PM »
  It's not a meal time but you are serving a meal, therefore you made it a mealtime.  Does that make sense?

That does make sense. I personally would choose to just have cake and a veggie platter. But DH's family would be really unhappy if there was not a meal provided.

I decided to see if I could rustle up a GF pizza, so I called Mom to ask if there was a frozen GF pizza she liked, and she said no, but there is a pizza crust mix she likes. She said she also has some GF pizza sauce that she really loves and asked me if I'd put it on the pizza for her. The crust mix is a bit pricey but I can keep the rest of it on hand for any future pizza events.

I do agree with the quote above. Although, since it is only 2 hours if I did show up (I'm GF) and there was only veggies and dip and ice cream I would probably be fine with it.

Another option that my SIL does for me when she is having a lasagna dinner is to get me boxed GF Mac N Cheese. It's not fancy, but it's easy and I like it. :)  (We came up with it one time as a solution but if I needed something more substantial, I know she would accomodate that too. ) Annie's makes one that is pretty darn good and Trader Joes sells one too.
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2012, 06:01:21 PM »
The party is only 2 hours, but how long is the traveling time?  I'm glad the OP is adding GF pizza too.  Even a larger salad with chicken or shrimp would be filling yet not too expensive.

blarg314

• Super Hero!
« Reply #35 on: March 22, 2012, 07:45:23 PM »

I would say it depends on the number of people at the party, the number of food restrictions that need to be accommodated, the difficulty/danger/price factor in providing appropriate food, and the pickiness of the restricted person.

In general, it's nice to provide alternatives for someone who has food restrictions when you host.  But sometimes the combination of factors makes it unworkable.

I would say the larger the party, the less you can cater to individual restrictions, due to the sheer logistics of, for example, cooking food for 30 people that includes three parallel main courses.  It also becomes harder to control the distribution at larger or less formal events, particularly if the substitute is seen as more appealing than the main offering - a common complaint of vegetarians at pizza events is when the veggie pizza is gone by the time they get to it, because non vegetarians like it too.

There's also the issue of successfully preparing food for people with dangerous reactions to common foods, or with very complicated rules.  I know that I can't guarantee that food in my kitchen is 100% peanut free, for example, and I would not be able to prepare food for someone strictly kosher.

And I factor in pickiness, too. I'm generally happy to provide a vegetarian alternative. If one of my guests is a vegetarian who hates tofu and mushrooms, openly disdains meat substitutes, dislikes orange vegetables, and won't eat anything with sauce on it, then I'm not going out of my way to provide a vegetarian alternative that also caters to their other food quirks.

Hazelthyme

« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2012, 03:00:31 PM »
I'm with the "nice to provide at least some GF alternative for your mom" option, though I'll admit to being spoiled by having a grocery store nearby with a decent range of GF options (I <3 Wegmans.)

Twig has one friend who's on a GF diet, and has been to our house a few times. If I know in advance she's coming, I usually make sure there's at least something she can eat -- a box of crackers and a small loaf of GF bread on her table with the appetizers at Twig's b-day party, and a GF cupcake for dessert, for example. While it hasn't yet been the case that she's come over spontaneously, I usually at least have popcorn and plenty of fruit/ veggies around, and could pretty easily put together a snack from that, if nothing else. If she & Twig do end up getting close enough that she's likely to be around at dinner with little/ no notice (Twig does have a few friends in that camp), I'd probably make a habit of keeping a GF entree or 2 in the freezer just in case ... just like I'll keep a box of Boca burgers in there in the summer, in case one of our vegetarian friends is around when we decide to have a spontaneous BBQ.

-HB