Author Topic: RSVP change and gift promise?  (Read 1305 times)

Jones

RSVP change and gift promise?
« on: March 19, 2012, 11:10:42 AM »
My son’s first birthday is this week. I started planning about 6 weeks ago, letting people know when and where the party would happen. With my family, you have to plan early, or someone else will plan something that day. I invited family and friends with young children, plus grandparents.

At first everyone said yes, then over the last week people have been texting to say that plans changed and they can’t come. (For example, one person’s ex is demanding the kids for that weekend; another has decided to go on a sudden weekend trip out of state. My niece had to get a surgery a few days ago; I don’t plan on seeing her family either, though I haven’t heard from my sister about it.)

I understand life changes, and I don’t mind; it’s a birthday after all, not a wedding. What gets me is this new-this-morning text message:

“Sorry we can’t make it (for XYZ reasons). I do have a gift for the birthday prince, and will be sure to drop it off sometime before the party!”

I want to say, “Thank you for letting me know; sorry you couldn’t make it, we’ll miss you and the kids” but do I need to acknowledge the promise of the gift? If I say “Thanks for the gift, looking forward to seeing you” before I even get it, does that come off as Gimme Pig?

Help, please!

NyaChan

Re: RSVP change and gift promise?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2012, 11:13:56 AM »
I think your first version "Thanks for letting me know..." is perfectly fine - you can thank them for the gift if and when they actually give it.

doodlemor

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2012, 11:17:32 AM »
How about......

"How kind you are!"  followed by your sentences, “Thank you for letting me know; sorry you couldn’t make it, we’ll miss you and the kids”  if you want to acknowledge the gift. 

Your words are fine without the extra beginning, too.

Jones

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2012, 01:15:37 PM »
Thank you; I like the "How kind you are!" I texted her a few minutes ago with that, and wished her a good trip.