Author Topic: Stop with the notifications already!  (Read 1539 times)

Lexophile

Stop with the notifications already!
« on: March 19, 2012, 01:01:43 PM »
I friended someone on FB a few months back and it's gotten to be annoying. Every time she posts a photo, I get notified. Every time she posts a comment, I get notified. Last week, she posted 40 individual photos and I got 40 notifications.

It's driving me insane.

None of my other friends' accounts do this. Does anyone happen to know - is it my settings or hers? if it's hers, how do I politely ask her to turn off the notification flood?

I don't want to unfriend her, but I will if that's the only way I can do it.
"Submission to what people call their 'lot' is simply ignoble. If your lot makes you cry and be wretched, get rid of it and take another." - Elizabeth von Arnim

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
Re: Stop with the notifications already!
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2012, 01:10:29 PM »
ETA - its under "account settings" then choose notficiations on the left side, and it will then allow you to set your notifications however you want.

It's in your settings; off the top of my head I'm not sure how exactly to turn off notifications, but I know its somewhere in your privacy settings.  And if you google
"turn off notifications in facebook" it will take you to a page where you can do it. 

If I recall correctly, you can set your own settings so you don't get any notifications about anything, or pick and choose.  Not sure why its just her, but the fact you just recently became friends with her, and the fact FB keeps changing stuff may have something to do with it.

Lexophile

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2012, 01:58:12 PM »
siamesecat -

Will that turn off all of my notifications, though?
"Submission to what people call their 'lot' is simply ignoble. If your lot makes you cry and be wretched, get rid of it and take another." - Elizabeth von Arnim

squeakers

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2012, 02:10:53 PM »
By any chance did you "subscribe" to her (or maybe FB did that for you)? Go to her wall and see if subscribe has been ticked.. untick it.
"I feel sarcasm is the lowest form of wit." "It is so low, in fact, that Miss Manners feels sure you would not want to resort to it yourself, even in your own defense. We do not believe in retaliatory rudeness." Judith Martin

Allyson

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2012, 02:33:29 PM »
This happened to me, it turns out I'd accidentally put my friend under the 'Close Friends' group Facebook created, so if that group appears in your 'groups' list go check if she is on it.

sweetonsno

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2012, 04:44:27 PM »
It's your settings, not hers. You can limit who sees your updates, but you can't override someone else's. If my settings filter my friends' updates a certain way, that's what I see. My friends can't force their statuses, pictures, etc to show up in my feed if I've asked not to receive those updates.

Click on the little X in the upper right corner of her posts/updates and select "unsubscribe" or "show only important updates."

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2012, 08:10:36 PM »
You can also choose what to subscribe to and what not.  Click over friend's name to their profile and just under their pic it should say close friend or friend... or however you have her set.  Click that and a  menu pops where you can choose to disable whatever updates of hers you want.  When you friend on FB, it is set to all and you have to change it manually for each new friend.

Adoptstrays

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2012, 12:51:42 PM »
You can also just go to her profile page and click on Updates by her name and it will give you a choice to pick & choose what you want to see from her or simply "unsubscribe".