A Civil World. Off-topic discussions on a variety of topics. > Trans-Atlantic Knowledge Exchange

A Children's Literature Question

(1/7) > >>

Thipu1:
On a cruise last autumn that was well-populated by both residents of the UK and North America, one question flummoxed absolutely everyone.  We were given a list of names and asked to identify the group.  The correct answer was the 'Secret Seven' and no one from either side of the Atlantic had heard of that.

I've since learned that this was a popular series of books about a group of young mystery solvers that appeared in the 1940s and early 1950s.  I believe the author was Enid Bagnold. 

Does anyone here remember the books?

Bethalize:

--- Quote from: Thipu1 on March 21, 2012, 11:08:23 AM ---On a cruise last autumn that was well-populated by both residents of the UK and North America, one question flummoxed absolutely everyone.  We were given a list of names and asked to identify the group.  The correct answer was the 'Secret Seven' and no one from either side of the Atlantic had heard of that.

I've since learned that this was a popular series of books about a group of young mystery solvers that appeared in the 1940s and early 1950s.  I believe the author was Enid Bagnold. 

Does anyone here remember the books?

--- End quote ---

The Secret Seven books were by Enid Blyton. Blyton also wrote the Famous Five and lots of other similar type series. I read them all.

NyaChan:
it is by Enid Blyton, I love her!!  Famous Five is also good  :D

ETA:  I'm surprised no one in the UK recognized it - I haven't seen much of her here, but my mom grew up in India so her childhood authors were mostly British and she passed it on to me.

Tilt Fairy:
Yes I remember reading these! And the famous five! Was that where Timmy the dog was from? It's unusual that the names couldn't be identified by British people on the cruise because they used to be such popular books but to be fair, if you've read them a long time ago, you probably can't recognise the names. I barely remember the names!. The famous five and the secret seven were popular a years before me and I think a lot of the adult generation read them as kids too maybe. Equally as exciting for me, I grew up in the midst of the 'goosebumps books craze'.

Thipu1:
Thank you all for your responses.  Also,  thank you for identifying the author. 

It's good to k ow that these things are remembered.  Now, I need to go looking for the books.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version